Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Munin posted:

I was reacting to this post:

Where you do explicitly respond to the Sunni question with an affirmative statement that you think "Sunnis" are incapable of running a country in which they are the majority better than Assad.

With the Assad in question being someone that, when push came to shove, resorted to bloody crackdowns and massacres just like his father did rather than countenance dialogue and reform. His father managed to beat the unrest in his time back into submission but doing this did not resolve the underlying tensions and, as the current 3+ year civil war proves, you are playing with fire every time you do so and if the initial suppression fails you're left with a wildfire and a lot of wreckage.

The Assad family's repeated crackdowns on Sunni dissent *is* sectarian violence btw.

Also, for all your ranting about the US currently the biggest stirrers of the pot at the moment are the various gulf states. Turkey is also, understandably since they are direct neighbours, keeping a close eye on things. The US in general has done remarkably little to intervene in Syria and since there were few existing ties they did not even have the leverage of withholding their financial and political support as they did in Egypt which did have an effect on that revolution.

I have never mentioned Sunnis. You're just adopting mental schemes that apply perfectly to other situations to Syria. The Assad family hasn't descended from a cloud into Syria to rule with an iron fist the people. You have to consider the Sunni with Assad, then there are Sunni who aren't with Assad, and Sunni who are with ISIS. Sunni as a cohese group don't exist, not more than the "Christians" in Europe. They aren't a cohese political movement. Besides, please don't put words in my mouth.

Now, as far as my statement goes, bold and smug as it is, it's also rather hard to disprove. I, as everyone else hoped that Syria and the other states of the area would manage to overthrow the dictators and embrace a more open lifestyle, with democratic election, freedom of cult, and so on. As it turns out, the choice right now is between Assad and ISIS, and the whole arab spring has left those that hoped for the better wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

karl fungus posted:

How has Tunisia been doing post-revolution? I've heard nothing about them, which I can suppose may be a good thing if it means things calmed down.

Refugees from all over Africa and the Middle East board rickety macgyver'd boats on Tunisian shores and either suffocate or drown on their way to Italy. It's pretty loving grim.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cippalippus posted:

I have never mentioned Sunnis.

Look at the post at quoted and look at the post you responded to.

Now you might have been glib and just tossed that one off. Now, I did use that to colour in what you were vague about in your other posts. You have been clarifying your stance somewhat since.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have to say, I don't think American neocons have any competition in the entire history of the planet for loving up an entire part of the world so thoroughly and completely. Maybe the mongols were worse?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cippalippus posted:

It's not "apparently" the only thing, it's in the loving facts you obtuse imbecile.

I never said that, for the record. I didn't even mention sunnis; I simply stated, and facts are by my side, that Assad was the only thing preventing sectarian violence. It's not like the other sects don't hate sunnis as well.

The Assad regime has been promoting sectarian violence for 40 years. Mubarak, Gaddafi, all those guys had their families go to Europe and study banking. What did all the Assad's do? They were pushed into every leadership role in the military that they had enough family members to fill, preparing for the day they would have to curb stomp the Sunni's into submission. It is an Alawite regime. Even with the Christians, Druze, etc, they still don't make up 20% of the population, and they're ruling over a population of 70% Sunni's, and trying to be dictatorial about it. With all the fear-mongering they've pushed about what would happen if a single concession was made to be inclusive to Sunni's, and the instant talk of salafists and terror the second someone walked out on the street with a protest sign, it's pretty clear that things were going to take a sectarian tone.

And no, the facts aren't on your side. You just take your obscure position and then pretend to speak on behalf of all Europe, or the whole not-US world like 90% of the people you claim to represent wouldn't think you're a dumbass. There's still daily peaceful protests in favor of democracy and inclusion of all sects in the next government, and in every negotiation, the starting point is to remove Assad, and then negotiate with the regime. There's fighting forces 5 times the size of ISIS that are moderate, that don't get anywhere near the same type of coverage because they aren't sexy reporting like beheadings and crucifixions are. You seem to be relying on the "facts" about the bloodthirsty savages revolution that have been pushed by the Assad regime since the day someone decided to raise their voice, that have been shown to be false for years, so no, they're really not the unshakable pillar of truth you seem to think they are.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I have to say, I don't think American neocons have any competition in the entire history of the planet for loving up an entire part of the world so thoroughly and completely. Maybe the mongols were worse?

As far as outside powers working on ruining the middle east Neocons were late in the game. The Iraq war just re-enflamed conflict that was baked into place when lines were literally drawn in the sand with the dismantling of the Ottoman empire after WWI.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Volkerball posted:

And no, the facts aren't on your side. You just take your obscure position and then pretend to speak on behalf of all Europe, or the whole not-US world like 90% of the people you claim to represent wouldn't think you're a dumbass. There's still daily peaceful protests in favor of democracy and inclusion of all sects in the next government, and in every negotiation, the starting point is to remove Assad, and then negotiate with the regime. There's fighting forces 5 times the size of ISIS that are moderate, that don't get anywhere near the same type of coverage because they aren't sexy reporting like beheadings and crucifixions are. You seem to be relying on the "facts" about the bloodthirsty savages revolution that have been pushed by the Assad regime since the day someone decided to raise their voice, that have been shown to be false for years, so no, they're really not the unshakable pillar of truth you seem to think they are.

The other forces aren't getting reported on because they haven't been doing much over the last month. Last I heard they are consolidating the gains they've made and show no intent to move out. Meanwhile ISIS has rapidly been expanding their territory and winning battles across both Syria and Iraq. Hell they're standing on the loving doorstep of Baghdad while fielding a force 1/40 the size of the Iraqi army. It isn't just hype, their success is loving scary. :psyduck:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

As far as outside powers working on ruining the middle east Neocons were late in the game. The Iraq war just re-enflamed conflict that was baked into place when lines were literally drawn in the sand with the dismantling of the Ottoman empire after WWI.

I would say the neocon crusade against Islamism and unquestioning support of Israel did a lot to destabilize things over the last ~35 years. Iraq 2 was not the only mistake. I think it's a stretch to say things would be this bad or even nearly this bad without neocon policy over that time.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Those savage mussulmen can't be trusted and need a strong leader to keep 'em in line, says I :clint:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bip Roberts posted:

The Ottoman empire was facing internal collapse long before WW1 (and indeed there were rebellions and uprisings on a fairly regular basis). It's fairly likely that those ethnic conflicts would still have existed even barring the intervention of the West (probably no Israel though).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xoidanor posted:

The other forces aren't getting reported on because they haven't been doing much over the last month. Last I heard they are consolidating the gains they've made and show no intent to move out. Meanwhile ISIS has rapidly been expanding their territory and winning battles across both Syria and Iraq. Hell they're standing on the loving doorstep of Baghdad while fielding a force 1/40 the size of the Iraqi army. It isn't just hype, their success is loving scary. :psyduck:

ISIS was the most reported on rebel group when they had less than 5,000 soldiers, no territory, and were just dicking around with the Kurds up north. It's not a new thing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

icantfindaname posted:

Please be mindful of your betters at leaving messes behind, the British Empire.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What were the circumstances behind Lebanese democracy imploding with the Civil War and all that? Was it ever stable, or was it provoked from outside? That seems to me it would be the best case study for what's wrong with the middle east

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

karl fungus posted:

How has Tunisia been doing post-revolution? I've heard nothing about them, which I can suppose may be a good thing if it means things calmed down.

Pretty good, actually.

http://www.unwomen.org/lo/news/stories/2014/2/tunisias-new-constitution

:unsmith:

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I find it hilarious that a European came in professing to know more about the region than everyone else in the thread because he went on vacation there once and he proceeded to be incredibly insulting and condescending to a Syrian poster who is fluent in Arabic and has family still inside Syria. If he was a regular reader of this thread, he'd know which one.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Flaky posted:

Ummm yes? Gaddhafi's ouster was a pretty serious boon for Boko Haram, who were responsible for kidnapping those Nigerian schoolgirls? From whom no-one has heard for months, the Nigerian government certainly hasn't returned them.

paragon1 posted:

Last time I checked Nigeria isn't in Libya.

Flaky posted:

May as well be for how representative the lines on the map are of the reality on the ground.

As far as I can tell, Boko Haram operates exclusively in northern Nigeria. How far is that from Libya?

Roughly the same distance as a drive from Barcelona to Moscow. (Except that drive doesn't go through the middle of the Sahara...)

Googling around for Gaddafi-Boko Haram connections, the only thing I could find was this rather dubious source, which quotes Gaddafi as supporting Boko Haram against the Nigerian government. If you have a better source, I'd be very happy to read it!

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Let me tell you my enlightened opinion on Syria based on my brief vacation visiting the Roman ruins in Palmyra and Apamea:

Sunnis are perfidious baby-eaters that are unfit to rule an olive grove, and they must be crushed underfoot like rabid dogs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I spent a week in Greece on vacation in 2004, let me tell you my expert opinion their economic situation in 2014:

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Sergg posted:

I find it hilarious that a European came in professing to know more about the region than everyone else in the thread because he went on vacation there once and he proceeded to be incredibly insulting and condescending to a Syrian poster who is fluent in Arabic and has family still inside Syria. If he was a regular reader of this thread, he'd know which one.

On the one hand, you are correct in that his stance hasn't been particularly good, on the other hand, this is an incredible pompous post and you sound like an rear end.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Sergg posted:

What's even funnier is that I'll turn out to be right again, just like when a few months ago this thread was about downplaying Chechens, Qaedists and other Salafi groups just like some local folklore.

Volkerball posted:

What? I speak just for myself. Some people in Switzerland will probably prefer an american solution without Assad, but we have no laws against being wrong.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cippalippus posted:

What's even funnier is that I'll turn out to be right again, just like when a few months ago this thread was about downplaying Chechens, Qaedists and other Salafi groups just like some local folklore.
[citation needed]

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

When you're defending the guy who is dropping nerve gas on the suburbs of his own capitol city as "the good guy" then maybe it's time to reexamine your priorities.

In other news: It's confirmed that Division 17 has been essentially wiped out. There was accidental friendly fire and some SCUDs allegedly hit the base while it was being attacked instead of landing on its attackers. Videos of the aftermath and the massacre of the defenders has completely shocked the pro-Assad domestic media and audience.

In northern Iraq, the al-Obeidi and al-Jabouri tribes in Kurdistan are forming militias to fight ISIS.

Here's a post-mortem account of the failed Iraqi attempt to retake Tikrit:

http://www.matthewaid.com/post/93014043506/the-iraqi-military-disaster-at-tikrit-a-post-mortem

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Any videos of Division 17 on hand?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

With the news, what are the odds that Assad will continue to stay in power?

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
New ISIS video with some English subs :nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=t4cXtVeH_6A

Radio Prune fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 28, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Carrier posted:

On the one hand, you are correct in that his stance hasn't been particularly good, on the other hand, this is an incredible pompous post and you sound like an rear end.

It's just a simple statement of fact, though? That is exactly what he did.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Sergg posted:

When you're defending the guy who is dropping nerve gas on the suburbs of his own capitol city as "the good guy" then maybe it's time to reexamine your priorities.

The best guy is not necessarily a good guy. Not sure why people have so much difficulty with this distinction.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Oh god this one has those mass executions at the end :nms:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can someone willing to hate humanity more than I do explain what all goes on in the video? I'm curious but I don't have it in me to watch.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cippalippus posted:

What? I speak just for myself. Some people in Switzerland will probably prefer an american solution without Assad, but we have no laws against being wrong.

Btw, I'm curious why you keep raising a stable regime under the iron fist of Assad and the current unrest as the two current day hypothetical options.

The current breakdown of the state in Syria is the consequence of the failure of Assad to deal with the social, political and economic tensions in his country. His regime and policies were never long term stable as the current civil war and the events leading up to it amply demonstrate.

The failure of his system and did not inevitably lead to the rise of violent Islamist extremists taking over a large chunk of the country but his handling of the escalating crisis did make it very likely. His tacit ceasefire with ISIS for as long as they kept attacking his domestic opponents also encouraged their rise. I wonder how he feels about that policy now.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can someone willing to hate humanity more than I do explain what all goes on in the video? I'm curious but I don't have it in me to watch.

It's a full spread of Islamist speeches, technicals, blowing up mosques, drive-bys, mass executions and a suicide bombing. I really hope every single ISIS gently caress ends up as a ventilated corpse.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Munin posted:

Btw, I'm curious why you keep raising a stable regime under the iron fist of Assad and the current unrest as the two current day hypothetical options.

The current breakdown of the state in Syria is the consequence of the failure of Assad to deal with the social, political and economic tensions in his country. His regime and policies were never long term stable as the current civil war and the events leading up to it amply demonstrate.

The failure of his system and did not inevitably lead to the rise of violent Islamist extremists taking over a large chunk of the country but his handling of the escalating crisis did make it very likely. His tacit ceasefire with ISIS for as long as they kept attacking his domestic opponents also encouraged their rise. I wonder how he feels about that policy now.

No dictatorship in the style of Assad is built to last very long, and actually the Baa'thist Syria lasted for a quite long time. This said, regimes like Assad's Syria are best brought down with international appeasement rather than with brutal force; I'm thinking about Spain or Portugal, or several South/Central American states.

Instead, the american policy of always backing Israel has had the long lasting effect of rooting Assad in his post. The Assads used this card to strenghten their grip on power, being given a convenient and always ready scarecrow. Regimes like those are built on the premise of an outside evil force prying on the nation.
There was probably a chance in 2000 to open negotiations with Syria, but all went into the shitter when someone had the bright idea of stopping that all.

As far as options go, I don't think that there are other alternatives now. I do think that the guy isn't able to deal with the current situation; I also think, however, that the world needs a deus ex machina to build a credible alternative.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Well the US didn't have to resort to cannibalism to feed its own troops so i guess the first Crusade is still the most badly planned military adventure in the middle-east.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Radio Prune posted:

Oh god this one has those mass executions at the end :nms:

More than one, there at least four separate ones in the last couple of minutes, its a complete bloodbath. I was trying to keep a rough headcount of victims until about 33:40 when I just gave up

:nms: A screencap for anyone who doesn't want to see people begging for their life before being shot in a ditch

:stare: That's a lot of bodies.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
They are so big and bad. Look at me, I've got a rifle and I'm gonna shoot some mans.

Scum of the earth.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Sergg posted:

In other news: It's confirmed that Division 17 has been essentially wiped out. There was accidental friendly fire and some SCUDs allegedly hit the base while it was being attacked instead of landing on its attackers. Videos of the aftermath and the massacre of the defenders has completely shocked the pro-Assad domestic media and audience.

Link?

ed

nvm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/25/us-syria-crisis-raqqa-idUSKBN0FU2A320140725

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
Jesus that last ISIS video is awful. The executions by the river seem almost comedic, with the one guy just standing there holding the flag.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
The 17th division was 50 dudes? That seems a little undermanned

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

As far as I can tell, Boko Haram operates exclusively in northern Nigeria. How far is that from Libya?

They're also active in Cameroon, but that's the wrong direction. They kidnapped the deputy prime minister's wife just yesterday.

Torpor posted:

The 17th division was 50 dudes? That seems a little undermanned

There were several hundred. Most soldiers successfully fled to other bases once the attack started, but about 50 were ambushed and killed (including the commanding brigadier general). Several dozen or so who stayed behind to fight and allow the others cover were also killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

50 dudes is just some stragglers left over from the crushing defeat and subsequent retreat of the 17th Division. Probably ISIS didn't wanna spend more time digging them out at the base and offered them safe passage if they left their positions then ambushed them down the road.

Here is a huge trove of pictures from the ISIS fight for Division 17 HQ, including showing off all the captured gear like guns, ammo, artillery, tanks, etc.

http://justpaste.it/Division17

Can anyone translate this? It appears to be a captured document from a dead Syrian soldier
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/ftACtTV.jpg:nws:

• Locked thread