Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The things I would do for a Mattocaster. Someone on reddit custom built one with a MIDI pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm seeing

myself. Can't imagine why.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gripen5 posted:

I can never tell if these guitars look absolutely horrible or loving amazing. I think it depends on my mood.
Edit2: Fixed.

It is just really plain if you ask me.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

unlawfulsoup posted:

It is just really plain if you ask me.

Yeah, that one is rather plain. I kind of like the more plain ones he has rather than the complex. This one is probably my favorite, even though I wouldn't really feel a need for all the on board effects and most of the knobs and switches would probably get in the way:

I mean really. An on-board fuzz factory, phase 90, midi strip, and proximity wah prob. I feel like it would be hard to use most of that while playing.

While I really kind of hate this one:

I just don't like bright glittery paint jobs. But obviously others love that sort of things. Even more so because it would piss off someone like me :)

Although the MIDI pad is pretty neat.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm offended that he took the beautiful near perfect Tele design and completely mangled it. I guess that's payback for supporting unclean LPs though eh?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
manson uses lots of nailbombs so i like him

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

muike posted:

manson uses lots of nailbombs so i like him

Manson never seemed that keen on the mattocaster thing. Think he was just a local luthier at about the time Muse were going up and then ended up riding with it because cash cow.

I seem to remember him refusing to make the same guitar twice which is why the customs were all different except a few years later you could suddenly buy a standard MB-1 model with all the bits and fx built in to order.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
iirc he actually expanded his shop around then so maybe that's why he was more willing to do things if he had people to push tedious bits off to

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dear venue owners,

Fix the godamned power on your stages.

Thanks.

Also, just to ring my own bell a little bit, broke my high-E mid-solo on Crazy Train Saturday night immediately prior to the 'trill' section, stomped my kill switch, ripped the cord out, grabbed my Strat off the rack, threw it on over the top of my LP, jammed the cord in, slammed the switch off and was able to finish the solo and song without missing anything but that one section.

It was awesome, (the small) crowd went nuts, rest of the band was all 'holy poo poo' when we took a break. Probably the single coolest thing I've ever managed to pull off.
Granted, most of the night sucked otherwise, but that moment was cool at least.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Now be honest and say what was going through your mind at that time.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

iostream.h posted:

Dear venue owners,

Thanks.

Also, just to ring my own bell a little bit, broke my high-E mid-solo on Crazy Train Saturday night immediately prior to the 'trill' section, stomped my kill switch, ripped the cord out, grabbed my Strat off the rack, threw it on over the top of my LP, jammed the cord in, slammed the switch off and was able to finish the solo and song without missing anything but that one section.

It was awesome, (the small) crowd went nuts, rest of the band was all 'holy poo poo' when we took a break. Probably the single coolest thing I've ever managed to pull off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HPlYFBzD8o

Had a gig Friday at a bro bar so we opened up with some of our more funky numbers. Had a couple of guys in 80's Guy suits doing white guy yuppie dances but the front of the stage got less and less crowded as we pulled in more Crazy Horse and Prog Rock style poo poo.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

Now be honest and say what was going through your mind at that time.
Not sure EXACTLY, but it was pretty much along the lines of:

'Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress not something else seriously wtf this loving night Godamnit should have stayed home played some WoW gently caress this gently caress this this sucks Godamnit gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo godamnit singer started 2nd set song on the wrong song gently caress this night gently caress this poo poo gently caress gently caress why me why me gently caress oh ok gently caress it here goes gently caress this fine ok hope this loving thing's close to being in tune or something oh God did I tune it to drop-D or wait did I use this on that oh gently caress oh gently caress did I tune this to open-G the other day fuuuuuu'

Pretty much a bunch of white noise static with 'gently caress' liberally inserted.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 29, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Did you scratch the back of the guitar when you threw it on top of the first one? When you come to sell it and someone's all 'is that belt buckle rash?' you can say 'there's a story behind that... :clint: '

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Haha, I probably did, but I haven't touched my guitars since unpacking them yesterday. Yesterday was all about pretending I didn't have a hangover and today I've ripped my rack and effects apart in an effort to further reduce the chances of weird noise issues at the places (every place, really) with lovely power outlets.

Granted, it's the Strat I tossed across a studio in a fit of rage a while back, so it's already a little relic'd. They're all a little beat up from gigging anyway.

Hey, here's a little known fact:
You CAN indeed sing 'Nothing But a Good Time' over the music for 'Lit Up' and have it actually work more or less 'well'.

Another little fact:
Singers don't react well to the answer to their question of 'What the gently caress, did you expect me to change the lyrics to what song I was singing in the middle of the song' being 'Well loving duh'.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

iostream.h posted:

Dear venue owners,

Thanks.

The stage power at the club I play at regularly has killed countless pedal boards. The last guy lost 8 pedals as soon as he plugged in. It was brutal. When i play there I just take an old GT6 because I'm not going to sacrifice my HD500. That power problem is getting worse and one monitor is out now. I think the dude has a mouse problem under the stage.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

iostream.h posted:

Dear venue owners,

Thanks.

This is beautiful

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
I just bought this second hand 62 reissue.

The black pick guard was installed by the previous owner, along side a mix of a stock Fender neck pickup, and two Seymor Duncans.

I'm gonna put a stock mint green pick guard on, but I'm not really happy with how the pickups work together. I'm looking for a classic vintage strat "bell" tone, so any suggestions for pickup choice. Stock Fenders, Fralins or maybe Bareknuckle?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.guitarfetish.com/1963-Strat-Professional-Series-Pickup-Sets_c_348.html

Maybe the Texas set?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I keep hearing good things about the pickups they're putting in the American Vintage reissues now. No experience with the strat ones, but I've never felt like changing the one in my P-Bass.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

cdc posted:

I just bought this second hand 62 reissue.

The black pick guard was installed by the previous owner, along side a mix of a stock Fender neck pickup, and two Seymor Duncans.

I'm gonna put a stock mint green pick guard on, but I'm not really happy with how the pickups work together. I'm looking for a classic vintage strat "bell" tone, so any suggestions for pickup choice. Stock Fenders, Fralins or maybe Bareknuckle?

...green pickguard on a red guitar? Is this for an all-christmas-tune cover band?

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Allen Wren posted:

...green pickguard on a red guitar? Is this for an all-christmas-tune cover band?

Yep, got a deal lined up with Pie Face Records.

But no, it's the standard Fender pick guard colour for a lot of Strats, like this one http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/american-vintage-59-stratocaster-slab-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/ for instance, and this fiesta red model (which is no longer produced) originally came with mint green. The green is quite faint and I think it looks good.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

cdc posted:

But no, it's the standard Fender pick guard colour for a lot of Strats, like this one http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/american-vintage-59-stratocaster-slab-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/ for instance, and this fiesta red model (which is no longer produced) originally came with mint green. The green is quite faint and I think it looks good.
It looks kinda like it'll glow in the dark. Someone drop a line to the Luminlay guys.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does anyone make a Jazzmaster hardtail tail piece anymore? I feel like swapping out the trem in my JMJM.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
What are some good mellower strings that come in 11s with a wound G? I usually use D'Addario EXLs but just got a new Tele and after changing strings (from a set of dead DR 10s) I found myself kind of wanting the old sound back. I wouldn't mind trying half-round or flats (I love flats on my basses), but what's the longevity like? I usually change strings when the plain strings start getting dull, so it doesn't seem like they would last any longer than my round sets.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The Bunk posted:

What are some good mellower strings that come in 11s with a wound G? I usually use D'Addario EXLs but just got a new Tele and after changing strings (from a set of dead DR 10s) I found myself kind of wanting the old sound back. I wouldn't mind trying half-round or flats (I love flats on my basses), but what's the longevity like? I usually change strings when the plain strings start getting dull, so it doesn't seem like they would last any longer than my round sets.
I recently changed to D'Addario Chromes 11 (Jazz Lights, I think). I really like the way they feel and sound especially great on the clean channel of my amp with the tone knob rolled down a bit. It has a wound G, which I'm quite fond of now. I don't know what the longevity of them are like yet, though. Because of the tension change and some other fuckery (I hosed up the bridge and somehow raised it!) I need to take it in for a setup, but I'm waiting until the end of the summer for that. Your mileage may vary, of course. They're a bit pricier than round-wound guitar strings, though. Mine are $14 a pack, which is a decent chunk of change for guitar strings, considering the price of rounds.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone make a Jazzmaster hardtail tail piece anymore? I feel like swapping out the trem in my JMJM.

As in a traditional looking tailpiece but hardtail? Not as far as I know, you'd have to buy one of the Fender ones with the locking button.

When they're set up right they're blocked for upward movement and if you take the bar out it's effectively hardtail.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

cdc posted:

Huh. Now that I see that picture, I realize, I've seen them with the mint before, but always just played it off as my eyes playing tricks or weird plastic aging patterns.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

darkwasthenight posted:

As in a traditional looking tailpiece but hardtail? Not as far as I know, you'd have to buy one of the Fender ones with the locking button.

When they're set up right they're blocked for upward movement and if you take the bar out it's effectively hardtail.

Yeah, Rhoney used to make one but the guy stopped and there don't seem to be any on the market right now. I mainly want that exact style but maybe a bit heavier and more solid to transfer more of the vibration through the guitar. It surprises me that there aren't hard tail options around. If I had the skills I'd make one but yeaaaaaah. I'll probably go with the best locking trem with the most mass.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I recently changed to D'Addario Chromes 11 (Jazz Lights, I think). I really like the way they feel and sound especially great on the clean channel of my amp with the tone knob rolled down a bit. It has a wound G, which I'm quite fond of now. I don't know what the longevity of them are like yet, though. Because of the tension change and some other fuckery (I hosed up the bridge and somehow raised it!) I need to take it in for a setup, but I'm waiting until the end of the summer for that. Your mileage may vary, of course. They're a bit pricier than round-wound guitar strings, though. Mine are $14 a pack, which is a decent chunk of change for guitar strings, considering the price of rounds.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem paying more as long as I don't have to change strings as often, but as far as I can tell there's no difference between the plain strings. Do people just leave the wound strings on forever like flats on a bass and then buy E+Bs in bulk or something? It alsolooks like SIT makes half-rounds in 11 with a wound G, so I might give those a shot, too.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, Rhoney used to make one but the guy stopped and there don't seem to be any on the market right now. I mainly want that exact style but maybe a bit heavier and more solid to transfer more of the vibration through the guitar. It surprises me that there aren't hard tail options around. If I had the skills I'd make one but yeaaaaaah. I'll probably go with the best locking trem with the most mass.

Talk to this guy:

http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/custom-laser-cut-guitar-control-plates-10317

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm not really sure where else to post this, so here goes:

My grandfather died 27 years ago, and his acoustic was left in the attic until mid last year. I know it is a Gretsch, made before 1987. Beyond that, I have scoured the internet, including the official Gretsch site and a few collectors, and been unable to find a perfect visual match. I have no other means of identification because there is no model name, number, anything like that beyond the brand name. I did have a guy restring it at a guitar shop and he told me it was one of their lower-end models, and that the neck is somewhat warped from being left in a loving attic for three decades, therefore meaning I have to push the tips of my finger bones through the neck to actually play a note.

Anyway, rambling aside: I'd expect that this guy would have said something if it had some serious value, but maybe not. I'm just looking for any info anyone can give me on this specific guitar model. Anything like production time frame, current value, any special history or anything noteworthy. Even if it's just "It's just an old, crappy guitar."

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I can't tell you anything about the model, but that's a really beautiful guitar. A competent luthier should be able to do something about the neck.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I want to say it's a low-end Gretch Synchromatic Archtop of some kind, maybe a 6030? But there's not enough binding and the tailpiece isn't a harp.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
The original Gretsch factory burned down too, so lots of this kind of archival information is lost forever.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Vorenus posted:

I'm not really sure where else to post this, so here goes:

My grandfather died 27 years ago, and his acoustic was left in the attic until mid last year. I know it is a Gretsch, made before 1987. Beyond that, I have scoured the internet, including the official Gretsch site and a few collectors, and been unable to find a perfect visual match. I have no other means of identification because there is no model name, number, anything like that beyond the brand name. I did have a guy restring it at a guitar shop and he told me it was one of their lower-end models, and that the neck is somewhat warped from being left in a loving attic for three decades, therefore meaning I have to push the tips of my finger bones through the neck to actually play a note.

Anyway, rambling aside: I'd expect that this guy would have said something if it had some serious value, but maybe not. I'm just looking for any info anyone can give me on this specific guitar model. Anything like production time frame, current value, any special history or anything noteworthy. Even if it's just "It's just an old, crappy guitar."

There should be some numbers stamped onto the headstock. Can you get those numbers for me, and I'll check?

That scroll headstock inlay appeared in '39, I think, but the dot inlays and the checkered binding are throwing me off.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks for the replies! I'll talk to the shop guy again and check with another place or two, but the one who restrung it filed the frets down to lower the action and said that was all there was to be done for it. You can't see it in the photos but the action is high despite the bridge being fully lowered.

I can upload some closeups if you'd like jwh, but I've thoroughly inspected it and I'm not seeing any kind of identifying numbers or marks on the headstock or anywhere else.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

What about the headstock, if you look 'end on' toward it, from the top?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm not seeing anyhting, but here are some pictures that may help. You can at least see the bridge/action, as well as what may have been a screwhole for something on the "bottom", the inside of that hole definitely looks threaded.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

I'm not seeing anyhting, but here are some pictures that may help. You can at least see the bridge/action, as well as what may have been a screwhole for something on the "bottom", the inside of that hole definitely looks threaded.

Why are you putting these images in spoilers? Are you trying to not ruin the surprise or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'd rather not roll the dice on whether this subforum is frequented by the kind of goon who tries to derail for a page to bitch about images making GBS threads up his 56k. Just trying to be polite.