Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

WebDog posted:

Tarentino has a pretty apt knowledge of Australian Oz-Spolitation films as he kept getting copies of them when working in a video store and being completely blown away by films where women were tied naked to the front of moving cars.
The background to half of Australia's film industry is we got an R rating in the 70's, went balls and tits out with making as many grindhouse films as we could, and then Star Wars and Jaws came along and we had no chance in hell to compete against blockbusters during the 80's and have reverted to doing dramas about mid-life crisis.

There's a documentary called Not Quite Hollywood that's all about the "ozspolitation" movies of the 70s and 80s, and Tarantino is one of the major figures interviewed. He's so enthusiastic about these movies that it's almost adorable. He's like a puppy :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Vagabundo posted:

Oh my god, shut up you nerds.

Mad Max: Fury Road character posters are out.

Holy poo poo, I didn't think I'd ever be interested in seeing a Mad Max film.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mad Max Fury Road looks sick as gently caress, and that trailer has caused my excitement for it to rise substantially.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Does anyone actually like the stuff Mondo puts out?

I don't think I've ever seen one that I thought was particularly great. Yeah film posters currently suck but, their alternatives always seem either bland or way over designed to me.

No offence to Mondo fans, I guess what I'm trying to say is, where's the appeal?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yes. This is hanging on the wall behind me.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Does anyone actually like the stuff Mondo puts out?

I don't think I've ever seen one that I thought was particularly great. Yeah film posters currently suck but, their alternatives always seem either bland or way over designed to me.

No offence to Mondo fans, I guess what I'm trying to say is, where's the appeal?

Weirdly lots of people do. Mercifully not many of them visit this thread. However discussion always devolves into a kissing match so I think these days the general rule is that was ignore them.

They've put out one or two decent efforts, but the signal to noise ratio is, in my opinion, abysmal.

Also, I'm not sure if the guy above me is responding to you but if he is that isn't a Mondo poster - it is however loving amazing and I'm mad jealous.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It was released by mondo. I posted it to illustrate the point that you shouldn't just say you don't like mondo posters when they work with dozens of artists.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think people like Mondo because there is some good stuff in there. The majority of their stuff as a whole is kind of lousy, but there are some gems in there. Which can be said of almost anything, really. If you like all of it, fine. If you like just a few pieces, fine. Writing off an entire collection though is kind of juvenile. Most book publishers produce mostly crap, with amazing bits here and there. Most TV is crap, with a handful of specialty channels turning out some of the best stuff ever seen. Most movies aren't that great, but we still like seeking out the quality releases that entertain or challenge us, or show us a new perspective.

Mondo is no different; a lot of crap, a handful of "oh, that's decent", and every so often a piece that's really amazing.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

It was released by mondo. I posted it to illustrate the point that you shouldn't just say you don't like mondo posters when they work with dozens of artists.

...Isn't that just Drew Struzan's poster for 'The Thing' without all the titles over the top though?

What's the difference between this one and the Struzan if there is one?

I'm also aware of Mondo's system, I have not found one illustration by them I thought was worth the fuss.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Facepalm Ranger posted:

...Isn't that just Drew Struzan's poster for 'The Thing' without all the titles over the top though?

What's the difference between this one and the Struzan if there is one?

I'm also aware of Mondo's system, I have not found one illustration by them I thought was worth the fuss.

Compare and Contrast: Things.

The Thing

Mondo Thing

Serbian Thing

Alternative Thing

Japanese Thing

Original Thing

Totally Different Thing

Two Things

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Compare and Contrast: Things.

The Thing

Mondo Thing

Japanese Thing

Yeah I thought so. Also holy hell Japanese The Thing blow Mondo out of the water. And atleast the Mondo guy who does that style decided not to repeat MacReady several times like in his Star Wars ones.

Looking over Mondo's stuff Martin Ansin isn't too bad this Planet of The Apes one is pretty good.

Only complaint about this is the lack of Charlton Heston besides that I actually found a Mondo Artist who I like! Thanks guys!

oops never mind found more of his stuff, got bad quickly.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 28, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Pretty much, but fancy.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Ahahaha Mondo's best poster is just a reprint of Struzan's work. Brilliant, utterly brilliant :allears:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ahahaha Mondo's best poster is just a reprint of Struzan's work. Brilliant, utterly brilliant :allears:

Fascinating, do go on.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

Fascinating, do go on.

ummm no..that's okay...I'm done now...Sir...ma'am..umm *cough*

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also F.R. has just admitted to not ever previously being excited to see a Mad Max, despite it being a fun and rad series. Get this joker out of here!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, Mondo's put out three The Thing posters, and that is by far the worst.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird thing about Mad Max is the iconic stuff that people think of when you say "Mad Max" is only the second movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

muscles like this? posted:

The weird thing about Mad Max is the iconic stuff that people think of when you say "Mad Max" is only the second movie.

Uh... the ending to the original Mad Max?!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's kind of like "Gremlins" all the cool stuff happens in the sequel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The whole handcuff and saw thing is pretty iconic and has been ripped off a bunch.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It inspired at least 7 films.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What about Master Blaster? Or two men enter one man leave? Because those references are everywhere.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Interceptor is pretty drat iconic.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Mondo talk:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rawillkill posted:

Mondo talk:

That last Guardians one looks like every other character poster they've ever done but the rest of those own, especially the Pan's Labyrinth ones. I want those hanging on my wall.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
These kitchen sink posters always do a poor job of separating the elements, even if some of the elements themselves look ok. After watching the Drew Struzan documentary I'm even more spoiled when it comes to movie posters.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mister Chief posted:

Yes. This is hanging on the wall behind me.

That's the original poster from '82 though.

efb

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 28, 2014

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Febreeze posted:

The Hobbit will not even appear in his own film

Outside that, it's pretty sweet

Continuing on this:

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

The silhouette of this looks like the banjo kid from Deliverance

Also eurgh at the Hobbit poster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

rawillkill posted:

Continuing on this:

Isn't Frodo unconscious for the entire battle?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can take or leave Mondo. When they're doing alternate versions of modern (bad) posters, it's alright, but you can't beat classic design---and when they try to beat it, they lose.

Dick Trauma posted:

These kitchen sink posters always do a poor job of separating the elements, even if some of the elements themselves look ok. After watching the Drew Struzan documentary I'm even more spoiled when it comes to movie posters.

I need to see this yesterday.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It should be on Netflix. Or it was when I watched it a month or so ago.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Kikka posted:

Facepalm Ranger posted:

The silhouette of this looks like the banjo kid from Deliverance

Also eurgh at the Hobbit poster.

Similarly from Mondo:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

All I could ever think of when that image hit was

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

These are the two Mondo posters I will probably ever own, and they own bones. :colbert:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DarkSol posted:

These are the two Mondo posters I will probably ever own, and they own bones. :colbert:

The glaring lack of a Maximillian is a deal-breaker for me. :colbert:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm constantly waffling on spending decent money for this one:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

kiimo posted:

The glaring lack of a Maximillian is a deal-breaker for me. :colbert:

Wow! I honestly hadn't noticed that. :( Kilian put enough effort to put the crippled "robot" in, but not Maximillian? Loses some of its charm. I still think Kilian Eng has the best style out of the whole lot of Mondo commissioned artists though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Somebody help me out here: "Weko is Good"?