Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jack the Lad posted:

Right. Action Surge doesn't give an additional action and "maybe a bonus action" - it gives an additional action on top of your regular action and possible bonus action.

So I think it works. A 2 level Fighter dip seems like a nice one for Wizards with some spell progression under their belt.

Are they definitely doing 3e-style multiclassing? That poo poo was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Gort posted:

It's in the Basic PDF. But naturally, some of the important details (e.g., proficiencies) are not there, and point to the PHB.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

Look at the guitar.

IT BEGINS posted:

There's no way that guitar isn't a bad photoshop over a sword of some kind.

It's only got four strings. Dude's a bass player, which is an impressively elegant way to illustrate bards being a support class that nobody really notices is there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gort posted:

Yes they are and yes it is.

Seriously, anyone who doesn't see 5e as basically 3e at this point is deluding themselves.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That guitar is also an axe btw

or it would be in a system that was awesome

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's only got four strings. Dude's a bass player, which is an impressively elegant way to illustrate bards being a support class that nobody really notices is there.

Also, he's got enough grip-strength to crush a can of high-gravity dwarven malt liquor without opening it first.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
Um, I could be wrong, but I think that the Bard is a lady, not a dude.

The entry intro talks about a female character, and while she might have short hair, her top has some curve to it.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Vyxzuw posted:

The entry intro talks about a female character, and while she might have short hair, her top has some curve to it.

the fluff intros usually talk about several different archetypes, but yeah...the picture could go either way honestly.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Considering the paragraphs they had on sex before, could be a bit more complicated than that. I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least one character taking advantage of their inclusive attitude.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vyxzuw posted:

The word "dude" can be gender-neutral.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!

Nihilarian posted:

Considering the paragraphs they had on sex before, could be a bit more complicated than that. I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least one character taking advantage of their inclusive attitude.

True, and if there was going to be a gender ambiguous character, of course it'd be the elven bard.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

Vyxzuw posted:

True, and if there was going to be a gender ambiguous character, of course it'd be the elven bard.

Gender Ambiguity is basically a racial feature of elves.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

The word "dude" can be gender-neutral.

Typically only in the context of some guy trying to cover up how inconsiderate he is with regards to acknowledging women in his presence though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vanadium posted:

Typically only in the context of some guy trying to cover up how inconsiderate he is with regards to acknowledging women in his presence though.

There's definitely cases where that happens, but in this case I specifically used the word "dude" instead of "he" or "she" because I couldn't tell gender from the drawing and because it communicates certain stereotypes about bass players.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I've done the all-wizard game, my next game here should be all bards. Taking the band on tour.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Guitar was always a part of the picture; they've shown that one before.

Personally I'm wondering if they allowed bards to give more then like 5 actions a +1d8 every day.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Guitar was always a part of the picture; they've shown that one before.

Personally I'm wondering if they allowed bards to give more then like 5 actions a +1d8 every day.

Yeah, the Bard picture was shown pre-release, and it caused some amazing grog-tears over "how can she have a guitar like that in a medieval fantasy setting WHAT ABOUT MY IMMERSION?!"

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If your bard isn't playing bagpipes or an organetto, you're doing it wrong.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The main thing with the Eldritch Knight is that it has no option to attack AND spellcast together.

It's literally just a fighter/mage multiclass as one class. It's not like there aren't examples of how to do this better. Ok fine, ignore the Swordmage because Mearls hates 4e, but now you're also ignoring Paizo's magus and 3.5's duskblade and psionic warrior.

Nah, all those classes failed to really capture the classic BECMI elf, which was a huge staple of D&D until 3E's multiclassing hamstrung it. Strangely enough, the Essentials Hexblade was the best job WotC ever did of recreating that character type. So basically, a fighter who casts wizard spells is the perfect fit for 5E's throwback ethos.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, the Bard picture was shown pre-release, and it caused some amazing grog-tears over "how can she have a guitar like that in a medieval fantasy setting WHAT ABOUT MY IMMERSION?!"

Page 22 of the 3e FRCS, the yarting is a type of guitar. Get hosed, stupid grogs.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
re: popcorn initiative

I would prefer to let the dm and players negotiate whether the players or npcs go first, and then the players go in whichever order they want to when it is their turn, and the dm decides which order the npcs go in when it is their turn.

So, a two-phase popcorn I guess.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

starkebn posted:

re: popcorn initiative

I would prefer to let the dm and players negotiate whether the players or npcs go first, and then the players go in whichever order they want to when it is their turn, and the dm decides which order the npcs go in when it is their turn.

So, a two-phase popcorn I guess.

A ceremonial Monopoly board is placed on the table. Whoever can flip it most ragefully goes first.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A ceremonial Monopoly board is placed on the table. Whoever can flip it most ragefully goes first.

maybe a ceremonial copy of the Tomb of Horrors map

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

starkebn posted:

maybe a ceremonial copy of the Tomb of Horrors map

I'd rather play the Tomb of Horrors then play Monopoly ever again. Just saying.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

As a support-class fan and also as a lovely bassist... nobody notices you're there until you're not there. Then they're all "Heal me! Buff me! How come the guitar sounds so thin?"

e: I'm not saying it's a hard job, but you kinda need someone to do it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

ProfessorProf posted:

Some of these sound so cool but I just know that 5e is going to ruin the potential.

I assume Eldritch Knight (:black101:) is a fighter who gets a few wizard spells, and not anything actually cool or interesting? I would be delighted to be wrong!

Enjoy. Or not. It's up to you. Or it's up to the DM.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Good timing, I was already typing up this giant EK post.

For the hell of it I'm going to compare an Eldritch Knight to just going fighter/mage. I'm going to do a 10 EK, and for the f/m multiclass enough mage levels to equal the EK's spellcasting ability and put the rest into fighter. You could do it different ways but I'm going apples-for-apples as much as possible, to try to make the same character.

Exact same starting stats. 16 str, 16 int, 14 con. Same fighting style (defense), in plate mail with a glaive. Going for something tanky, but an amusing side note: you can't cast somatic component spells (almost all of them) without a hand free. So no sword+shield for these characters, using a glaive instead.

Fighter 10 (Eldritch Knight)
20 str, 18 int, 14 con, rest don't matter.
HP 84
HD 10D10
AC 19, disadvantage on attacks from evil undead/fiends/elementals/fey.
AC 24 with Shield spell (5 rounds/day)

Special abilities:
Second wind (regain 1d10+10), Action surge, Extra attack, Indomitable, War Magic, Eldritch Strike, 3 ASIs spent on 4xStr, 2xInt

Spells: 3 cantrips including fire bolt (+8 ranged attack, 2d10dmg), 5 spells of choice plus magic weapon and longstrider
Slots: 4 1st, 3 2nd
Spell DC 16, spell attacks at +8
Spellbook: Access to only abjuration and evocation schools, no rituals, evos are too low level to be relevant.

Attack routine: Cast shocking grasp, +8 touch for 2d8 lightning, disables their reaction, advantage if target wearing metal armor. Move to glaive reach, bonus swing at +10 for 1d10+6 (+1 Magic Weapon). If this hits, target has disadvantage on their save against your next spell. Switch to a cantrip with a save next round if you hit.

Strategies: Magic Weapon gives you a +1 weapon which you can bind to yourself to summon. The best spells at your disposal are protection from evil (cast once and forget) and Shield (your primary spell, save all other spell slots for this, +5AC for the whole round when cast as reaction). The EK 'war magic' ability to cast a cantrip+make a melee attack becomes obsolete at level 11 when they get 3 melee attacks per round. Better to swing that glaive three times than to cast a 3d8 shocking grasp + 1 swing of the glaive.

Fighter 6 (Champion)/Wizard 4 (Abjurer)
20 str, 18 int, 14 con, rest don't matter.
HP 78
HD 6d10, 4d6
AC 19, disadvantage on attacks from evil undead/fiends/elementals/fey
AC 24 with Shield spell

Special abilities: Second wind (regain 1d10+6), Action surge, Extra attack, weapons crit on 19-20, school of magic (Abjuration), arcane recovery, rituals, 1ASI from wiz4 (spent on 4 STR), 2ASI from ftr6 (spent on 2 INT)

Spells: 4 cantrips including Fire Bolt for +8, 1d10 damage
Slots: 4 1st, 3 2nd
Spell DC 16, spell attacks at +8
Spellbook: Access to all wizard spells and rituals.

Attack routine 1: Enlarge self. Two attacks while Large with glaive at +10 for 1d10+1d6+6 (+1 Magic Weapon). Crit on 19-20. Large size gives you greater coverage with your glaive for OAs. Cast Shield if really needed but mostly save spell slots for Enlarge. This isn't as much damage as it looks for level 10, so I'd stay tanky and go with option 2:

Attack routine 2: Two attacks with glaive at +10 for 1d10+6 (+1 Magic Weapon). Crit on 19-20. Save spell slots for Shield, use as needed.

Strategies: Arcane Ward from abjuration grants 8THP 1/day from your Protection vs Evil spell and 2THP whenever you cast Shield. You have the full range of low-level spells available to you, so at the risk of losing some character focus you can cast stuff like Hold Person and Invisibility and whatever. But you have to choose: if you are going to Shield a lot, you can't Enlarge every fight, and vice-versa. If you do decide to mostly stick with 1 or 2 spells, you can dump INT to 10, take wizard at 1, then fighter at 2, and put more into CON.

~

So the EK turns out to have a gimmick or two, and the F/W multi is more versatile and pretty much better. This gets crazier if you add polearm feats and whatnot, but I'll keep it simple and leave it at that.

If you combined EK and Abjurer instead, you would count as a 6th-level mage for spell slots, gaining 2 extra level 3 slots but no level 3 spells (you can upgrade lower level spells). In exchange you would lose the crit bonus. Not really worth it, IMO.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
What's BECMI?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters/Immortal, which is the version of Basic D&D collected in the Rules Cyclopedia.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I've been following along with the initiative chat because I'm wondering if anything usable will come up for my game (was called SBBQ, currently undergoing a name change). Right now I've got basically standard initiative as we know it, with one option: team initiative. Everyone rolls (the DM doesn't roll for each monster - she just rolls once). The players who beat the DM go first (and can do so in any order, taking their turns essentially simultaneously), then the DM goes for all the monsters, then all the players get to go, then the DM, etc.

Multi-initiative monsters aren't much more dangerous than they already were. They were already nasty fuckers, though - but they are solos anyway, so they are supposed to be as nasty as 4 monsters rolled into one.

With players that just want to go fast, it speeds things up a lot.

With my usual players, who like to optimize loving everything, the negotiations and planning are interminable. Standard initiative was actually faster, I think.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Most of my real crunchy combat experience has been with pbps, where "group initiative" generally ends up being the norm. It would be nice for a game to be actually balanced against the assumption that the PCs and enemies go in unified waves in mechanical terms, since some games tend to get a little wonky if the PCs can make uninterrupted combos.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Jimbozig posted:

I've been following along with the initiative chat because I'm wondering if anything usable will come up for my game (was called SBBQ, currently undergoing a name change). Right now I've got basically standard initiative as we know it, with one option: team initiative. Everyone rolls (the DM doesn't roll for each monster - she just rolls once). The players who beat the DM go first (and can do so in any order, taking their turns essentially simultaneously), then the DM goes for all the monsters, then all the players get to go, then the DM, etc.

Multi-initiative monsters aren't much more dangerous than they already were. They were already nasty fuckers, though - but they are solos anyway, so they are supposed to be as nasty as 4 monsters rolled into one.

With players that just want to go fast, it speeds things up a lot.

With my usual players, who like to optimize loving everything, the negotiations and planning are interminable. Standard initiative was actually faster, I think.

The only issue I've seen with team initiative is that it takes away the PC's ability to ruin a plan the monsters are going for. If it's Team PC - Team Monster, then Team Monster can possibly gang up and completely wipe a PC before any PC can actually do anything about it. The PCs are going to be able to act with pretty much perfect coordination, but if the DM does, then a PC can go down really really fast and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The only issue I've seen with team initiative is that it takes away the PC's ability to ruin a plan the monsters are going for. If it's Team PC - Team Monster, then Team Monster can possibly gang up and completely wipe a PC before any PC can actually do anything about it. The PCs are going to be able to act with pretty much perfect coordination, but if the DM does, then a PC can go down really really fast and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Yeah, but as DM with team initiative I was always more interested in getting through poo poo quickly and back to the players instead of optimizing my play. So I just went along with my plans in my usual clumsy and careless way.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

ritorix posted:

So the EK turns out to have a gimmick or two, and the F/W multi is more versatile and pretty much better. This gets crazier if you add polearm feats and whatnot, but I'll keep it simple and leave it at that.

If you combined EK and Abjurer instead, you would count as a 6th-level mage for spell slots, gaining 2 extra level 3 slots but no level 3 spells (you can upgrade lower level spells). In exchange you would lose the crit bonus. Not really worth it, IMO.

What happens if you open up the EK to choosing any two schools of magic, rather than the two built in? Does any one school particularly change this formula substantially even tho the multi-class still gets any spell?

In particular, I've always looked for ways to build a fighter/necromancer and was curious about retooling the EK to do it.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Lothire posted:

What happens if you open up the EK to choosing any two schools of magic, rather than the two built in? Does any one school particularly change this formula substantially even tho the multi-class still gets any spell?

In particular, I've always looked for ways to build a fighter/necromancer and was curious about retooling the EK to do it.

honestly i wouldn't be surprised if this is one of their plans for coming up with "new" archetypes for some of the classes for supplements.

edit: actually that brings up a good question, what kind of archetypes are not present that people would want to see? alternatively classes/archetypes.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 29, 2014

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ritorix posted:

I was going to ask about fireball and other area attacks but the half-caster progression is so weak that I don't have to bother.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Paladin preview's out, doesn't show the different oaths yet but it's something. Somehow they've managed to sneak in none LG paladins, wonder how popular that's going to be

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Orc paladins are cool.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Lothire posted:

Opening up the EK to the other schools probably swings it somewhat in the WK's favour for certain level ranges.

The hilarious thing, though, with the EK and the Abjurer is that Abjuration has basically no Wizard spells. Shield and a couple others. All the good buffs that you'd want for a Gish are mostly Transmutation. Which is why, at present, the EK might as well not get any spell slots and instead just get Shield as a 2x/encounter power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

LFK posted:

Opening up the EK to the other schools probably swings it somewhat in the WK's favour for certain level ranges.

The hilarious thing, though, with the EK and the Abjurer is that Abjuration has basically no Wizard spells. Shield and a couple others. All the good buffs that you'd want for a Gish are mostly Transmutation. Which is why, at present, the EK might as well not get any spell slots and instead just get Shield as a 2x/encounter power.

Doesn't Eldritch Knight also get evocation?