Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

ISIL's running around killing a bunch of folks in a civil war in a volatile region. I wouldn't call that "almost irrelevant".

It's not irrelevant for the people living there, but most of the world doesn't care right now, although they should and might soon be forced to. It was admittedly a rather poor choice of words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Thanks for finding that. It's so hilariously up its own rear end that it reads like it's satirizing the Dark Enlightenment™.

Except apparently it's not.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
did that guy actually get consent from those people to make those magic cards or did he just do it?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think TobleroneTriangluar may have infiltrated the Dark Enlightenment movement :tinfoil:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think TobleroneTriangluar may have infiltrated the Dark Enlightenment movement :tinfoil:

TT actually admitted to being a gimmick though.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Forgall posted:

Hmm, looks like she deleted her twitter...
I wouldn't be surprised if some people in the other thread in the other forum had the bright idea to bully her directly as if her terrible regressive views would in any way justify that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some people in the other thread in the other forum had the bright idea to bully her directly as if her terrible regressive views would in any way justify that.

people were openly calling for that in this thread too, don't act like we are an enlightened bunch here who are above all that

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I'm pretty okay if someone gets fired because they think slavery should be brought back and poor people should only be given slurry because they can't be trusted to buy their own food but unless shown otherwise I imagine she probably just figured out "wow this might be bad to be talking about publicly" and deleted her twitter.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Gazpacho posted:

As long as people weren't going after her for being trans, which would be reprehensible, I don't see anything wrong with going after her for espousing reprehensible views.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gregor Samsa posted:

As long as people weren't going after her for being trans, which would be reprehensible, I don't see anything wrong with going after her for espousing reprehensible views.

yes it isn't weird at all to harass people and try to get them fired because of their political tweets, you would just be trying to look out for their employer and not carrying out a goony internet grudge, mmhmm yep

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jeffrey posted:

yes it isn't weird at all to harass people and try to get them fired because of their political tweets, you would just be trying to look out for their employer and not carrying out a goony internet grudge, mmhmm yep

Advocating for slavery and genocide: the literal peak of non-goonness

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeffrey posted:

Trolling wannabe fascists is a victimless crime.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Jeffrey posted:

I wasn't thinking that "bully her directly" meant "try to get her fired by reporting her to someone at Google," which is neither direct nor bullying. Also, when you advocate your repugnant political views -- which include slavery, which sure seems like a rather direct form of bullying -- very loudly and very publicly, you have made yourself fair game for people being mean to you on Twitter.

I also never said anything remotely like the second part of your sentence, so I have no idea where that came from.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Jesus christ I just went and re-read that 'dark enlightenment' bullshit again to refresh my memory.

Decades ago when I was a sophomore in high school and desperate to establish my own independent identity, I would take loud contrarian positions in class discussions. Stuff like 'the world would be better if half the people in it died' and whatnot. Sophomore-in-high-school deep thoughts, in other words.

That made sense because I was fourteen years old.

These are actual goddamn adults saying this poo poo. It reads like a transcript of the most bullshit boring LARP ever. One of the worst parts of listening to people LARP is listening to them try to mimic the language they imagine their characters ought to be using. In most LARPs this involves lots of 'thee' and 'thou' and 'milady', and it's excruciating.

When the mimicked language is scraped from pseudo-intellectual popular social analysis, it's just as excruciating -- but somehow even more impenetrable.

I'm going to pretend that all these people will, ultimately, graduate from the high school in their minds and become normal humans.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
bash the fash, unless it means getting them fired

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gregor Samsa posted:

I wasn't thinking that "bully her directly" meant "try to get her fired by reporting her to someone at Google," which is neither direct nor bullying. Also, when you advocate your repugnant political views -- which include slavery, which sure seems like a rather direct form of bullying -- very loudly and very publicly, you have made yourself fair game for people being mean to you on Twitter.

I also never said anything remotely like the second part of your sentence, so I have no idea where that came from.

Other people in this thread did, that's what I was criticizing, and calling for her to get fired in a publicly visible way is certainly bullying. Sorry if you weren't doing that personally but I saw your post as tacit approval of the sort of things posted in this thread.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
^^^
How is getting someone fired for being an idiot bullying? That's dumb. People get fired all the time for doing less dumb things.

Gazpacho posted:

Did anyone need to bully her? As far as I can tell she followed the normal pattern of claiming puppet master then taking her ball home. I didn't see any evidence people were really touching the poop.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 28, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jeffrey posted:

Other people in this thread did, that's what I was criticizing, and calling for her to get fired in a publicly visible way is certainly bullying. Sorry if you weren't doing that personally but I saw your post as tacit approval of the sort of things posted in this thread.

Being told you should be a slave: not bullying
Taking issue with that statement: bullying

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Radbot posted:

Being told you should be a slave: not bullying
Taking issue with that statement: bullying

hmm nope, wrong, you want to try again?

being told you should be a slave in a vague generalized way: not bullying
taking issue with that statement: not bullying
tracking down the speaker and trying to ensure that they are personally fired by their employer: bullying

do you maybe understand now?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, no, that's not bullying. No one tracked down her employer anyways, she shouted it from the rooftops.

Kinda like if I dressed up as my company mascot and passed out chick tracts on the corner. It wouldn't be bullying for someone to call HR and let them know there's a crazy man in a tiger suit passing out religious tracts.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jeffrey posted:

tracking down the speaker and trying to ensure that they are personally fired by their employer: bullying

What the gently caress are you even talking about? Do you even know if she was fired?

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
She's shown herself pretty immune to people on Twitter reacting with shock and revulsion to her views, and there's no evidence she magically packed up her account because of transphobic harassment. The latter would obviously be awful, but I wouldn't classify making fun of her absurd beliefs or somehow bringing them to the attention of her employer as 'bullying': she posted them all over Twitter and her own dumb blog under her name, so it's not like she was taking steps to keep it secret.

People with terrible regressive views, especially ones who shout it from the rooftops, 100% deserve the flak they get in the same way that people posting racist/sexist/transphobic views (not a comprehensive list of course but relevant to this discussion) deserve to be publicly excoriated for it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's not like she has tried to hide where she works or anything. If it was a full blown doxx yeah I'd consider that bullying but I'm not going to shed any tears for someone who throws all that stuff in a public space and complains when their company takes umbrage to it.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah I actually don't think that's bullying, I just don't think she has nearly enough influence to warrant the effort involved in calling for her firing. I think this is a pretty accurate description:

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Kinda like if I dressed up as my company mascot and passed out chick tracts on the corner. It wouldn't be bullying for someone to call HR and let them know there's a crazy man in a tiger suit passing out religious tracts.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Jeffrey posted:

Can you please link to who tried to get her fired and that she was actually fired

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeffrey posted:

No tracking down is involved when someone explicitly states their name, job, and location.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Karl Rove posted:

She's shown herself pretty immune to people on Twitter reacting with shock and revulsion to her views, and there's no evidence she magically packed up her account because of transphobic harassment. The latter would obviously be awful, but I wouldn't classify making fun of her absurd beliefs or somehow bringing them to the attention of her employer as 'bullying': she posted them all over Twitter and her own dumb blog under her name, so it's not like she was taking steps to keep it secret.

People with terrible regressive views, especially ones who shout it from the rooftops, 100% deserve the flak they get in the same way that people posting racist/sexist/transphobic views (not a comprehensive list of course but relevant to this discussion) deserve to be publicly excoriated for it.

Now you are using the same arguments used by somethingsensitive or whatever when they doxx someone, "they didn't try to hide it". I know she stated her employer but unless you regularly get drinks with google hr then it would still take tracking down to do.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Somehow I don't think you actually would do anything about the guy handing out chick tracts, you'd walk right by them. I think you might be willing to do it to her because you have a stupid internet feud and want to "win", and I think that's weird and stupid.

Berke Negri posted:

Can you please link to who tried to get her fired and that she was actually fired

No, I don't know if she actually got tracked down, but people very much were calling for it in this thread and it very much is weird and goony to do so. Do you not believe that anyone was calling for it here? I'll track down quotes if need be but it happened a bunch a few pages ago, basically threats directed at her since we knew she was reading the thread.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You are a moron for considering a poster "calling" (not sure if it's really calling for poo poo if it's just a post on SA) for someone's firing over saying that they should be enslaved/murdered goony.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Stanos posted:

It's not like she has tried to hide where she works or anything. If it was a full blown doxx yeah I'd consider that bullying but I'm not going to shed any tears for someone who throws all that stuff in a public space and complains when their company takes umbrage to it.

Yeah this isn't like SA poster xXWe3DL0rDXxM0lDbuGXx was doxxed for trolling in D&D and got fired, she pretty prominently was stirring poo poo very publicly and had made a lot of enemies (seizing the OWS twitter for her regressive and bizarre soapbox) for at least the past year and so you're naive to think this slow moving thread in a forum past it's prime was the cause of anything to her.

That's what I was posting about earlier, not that she should be fired but confusion that she hadn't been or hadn't been reigned in yet. Her craziness has been profiled in various blogs and even the Guardian so it is not like she was under the radar or not seeking attention for her views.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

You are really mad over something that there's no reason to believe happened.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jeffrey posted:

Somehow I don't think you actually would do anything about the guy handing out chick tracts, you'd walk right by them. I think you might be willing to do it to her because you have a stupid internet feud and want to "win", and I think that's weird and stupid.

Why wouldn't I? It's not like it takes much effort to report an idiot, and idiots like that can cause a lot of trouble for businesses. Don't do dumb things while parading around in your employer's clothes and you'll be fine. It's pretty well accepted that you don't do dumb stuff when you're 'on the clock'.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Justine Tunney was a public figure, not some rando online. For god's sake she even used her full name as her twitter handle and other account names. She also repeatedly made note of who she was working for. She didn't even attempt to come up with a "cool" alternate name for her dark enlightenment stuff, like noted DE "activist" Mencius Moldbug.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I think one of the better Tunney bits was when she was on a screed about unions during business hours.

'UNIONS ARE LAZY AND SHIFTLESS! THEY WILL SERVE NO PURPOSE IN THE COMPUTER FUTURE!'

*gets paid six digits to post on Twitter during work*

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Jeffrey posted:

Now you are using the same arguments used by somethingsensitive or whatever when they doxx someone, "they didn't try to hide it". I know she stated her employer but unless you regularly get drinks with google hr then it would still take tracking down to do.
Like everyone else has pointed out, there is no reason to believe this is something that has actually happened. No one is calling for her personal information to be dug up and posted for all to see: we're saying that Justine Tunney, a publicly-known and self-admitted Google employee who posts under her own name on Twitter and her own blog, should be publicly called out and made visible. This is literally no different than Brandon Eich getting shouldered out of Mozilla after making a public donation to support Prop 8. Even in his case, he wasn't trumpeting his terrible decision to anyone who would listen like Tunney has been doing.

Jabberwock
May 15, 2004

Well, if we're all going to die, we may as well be thinking about something STUPID...

Nintendo Kid posted:

Justine Tunney was a public figure, not some rando online. For god's sake she even used her full name as her twitter handle and other account names. She also repeatedly made note of who she was working for. She didn't even attempt to come up with a "cool" alternate name for her dark enlightenment stuff, like noted DE "activist" Mencius Moldbug.

Not to mention, she said a lot of this stuff with an "I, as an employee of Google, Inc., believe that..." implication if not assertion. It's not like she's going out of her way to distance herself from the company she works for--quite the opposite, really. Though, if I were her employers I'd be a bit more concerned about her obsession with Eric Schmidt.

I don't know if "advocating slavery on the internet and saying poor people are inferior subhuman dolts who should be fed a gross cumshake" should necessarily be a fireable offense, at least not for low-level workers like she undoubtedly is, but she's been proclaiming all this poo poo publicly. I mean, if you saw someone on the street corner handing out white power propaganda and then the next day you saw them again working as a barista in Starbucks, I don't think you'd be out of line to bring up the nasty things they do in their free time with their manager.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nintendo Kid posted:

She also repeatedly made note of who she was working for.

That's understating it a bit, since her campaign was to have her boss appointed as the totalitarian ruler of the US.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jeffrey posted:

tracking down the speaker and trying to ensure that they are personally fired by their employer: not bullying, that waste of space deserves to get booted out of any civilised place

Fixed that for you. :smugdog:

If you go out of your way to be terrible and proudly identify yourself, you deserve the ton of bricks that's about to come down on you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
1) Is it bad to get racists fired?

2) Is a single god drat thing that has ever come out of Tunney's snaggle-toothed face any better than racism?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

SedanChair posted:

1) Is it bad to get racists fired?

2) Is a single god drat thing that has ever come out of Tunney's snaggle-toothed face any better than racism?

Pretty sure the only good to come out of her face is the fact that plants can use her hot, CO2 rich air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Considering the level of poverty in communities of color and just the idea of bringing slavery -back- (as in American chattel slavery) yeah that is safe to say that is a racist thing to say.

The most "charitable" interpretation one can is she means "this time we'll make whites slaves too :downs:" but I doubt that garners too many points.

• Locked thread