Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Bonus points if they include relevant ads for the loading screens.

"Flamey-O Instant Noodles! The Noodliest Noodles in Republic City!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's apparently a Pro Bending mode in the upcoming Platinum game, there hasn't been much said about it other than it exists.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It suddenly occurs to me that the only reason Aiwei suggested Lin go to the acupuncturist was because she was threatening to search every nook and cranny of Zaofu in her (in retrospect, justifiably) paranoid state and might have uncovered his plot.

Anyway, check out this extended, in-depth demo of the Platinum Games...game. Some of those finishing moves are pretty full tilt anime :stare:, but it's pretty great to see a lot of bending techniques from the show straight up replicated in game format. Fire jets! Ice shard barrage! Breakdancing! It's too bad we only seem to be able to play as Korra herself, but maybe some potential sequels could add other playable characters? Maybe?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^Knowing Platinum, there'll be plenty of costume DLC that will let you play as other people. Alternatively the side mission / challenges (because they will exist) may focus on specific benders.

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm actually rewatching Book 1 of Korra now. Is it just me, or would a Pro-Bending console game be kinda awesome?

I've never liked sports games but man, that'd be kinda sweet.

I'd play the poo poo out of Pro Bending Manager 2015.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

BrianWilly posted:

but it's pretty great to see a lot of bending techniques from the show straight up replicated in game format. Fire jets! Ice shard barrage! Breakdancing! It's too bad we only seem to be able to play as Korra herself, but maybe some potential sequels could add other playable characters? Maybe?

It'd be nice if they just gave us a fully functional Avatar version of Battlefront. You pick a bender (or a non-bender) and you have all these different gameplay styles. You play well enough, you can choose to play as the avatar. It'd be an awesome multiplayer team arena style thing. Throw in a probending mode, and you'd be looking at a replacement for Call of Duty.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ravane posted:

It'd be nice if they just gave us a fully functional Avatar version of Battlefront. You pick a bender (or a non-bender) and you have all these different gameplay styles. You play well enough, you can choose to play as the avatar. It'd be an awesome multiplayer team arena style thing. Throw in a probending mode, and you'd be looking at a replacement for Call of Duty.
Mirror's Edge + the brief shot of first-person waterbending we saw at the end of ATLA? Yes please.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Huh......welp, I hadn't given much (if any) credence to the whole "Su's a traitor" theory until I saw this just now. And here's the full image for context.

Is it Zaheer? It certainly looks more like him than it doesn't. The idea that the fearsome foursome met while working in the circus would certainly explain a whole lot of things about them, especially how they've specialized in unusual and unique forms of bending.

But it doesn't explain why Su was instrumental in stopping them during their attack, not just explaining to Bolin in detail how to stop a combustion bender, but also shredding Zaheer's glider when he went after Lin and Korra.

edit: Also like, why Su would even have a picture of her and a known criminal out right there in the open for anyone to friggin' see, if that's really him.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know. They're certainly similar but that guy has markings around his eyes and big bushy eyebrows which are easily the most distinguishing feature on his face. I don't think he's actually Zaheer.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

tribbledirigible posted:

I think you mean Ming-Hua, Lin is voiced by Mindy Sterling.

Actually in the flashbacks in Old Wounds, Lin was voiced by Grey Delisle!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know. They're certainly similar but that guy has markings around his eyes and big bushy eyebrows which are easily the most distinguishing feature on his face. I don't think he's actually Zaheer.
I assumed that was part of his clown makeup. This would have been about thirty years ago so he certainly wouldn't look totally the same, and I have a hard time getting over the nearly-identical face structure, in the same way that Tenzin and Bumi have similar faces.

It may be nothing of course.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

BrianWilly posted:

It may be nothing of course.

I think you're on to something, but just because she knows them doesn't mean she's on their side.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Considering that picture showed up in the episode proper,

I don't think we need spoilers.

I would point to the eyes as key difference between the two. The guy in the picture has the big wide Disney Eyes, while Zaheer has the narrow Disney Villain Eyes. For those saying they're just that narrow because he's in a fight scene, I checked from earlier in that same episode when he's being friendly with Meelo and his eyes are still way narrower.

I don't think it's him, but unlike a lot of really stupid theories that have shown up in these threads, that isn't one of them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, the HQ version of that photo wasn't shown in the episode and only revealed at Comic-Con, where...well, I guess it's also meant to be seen publicly :sweatdrop:, but yeah.

Again though: thirty years. That's an even longer time difference between, say, when Toph and Aang were depicted as fresh-faced teenagers on ATLA and when they were shown as hardened serious adults on this show. I don't think it'd be strange for "Zaheer" (if that's really him) to be shown with wide-eyed youthful enthusiasm when he was working in a circus with his friends, and for him to have physically changed into a much rougher, more narrow-eyed man after all that must have happened to him over the years, including thirteen years in air jail.

Even Firelord Ozai was a baby once!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If Su Yin isn't conspiring with them, she will at the very least be the gateway to learning just who they are and what they want. To be honest, circus chunk Zaheer talking about airbending philosophy and what's wrong with the world sounds like a fun flashback.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Finally got to see this episode. Quit loving around, Nickelodeon, this show is good again.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm actually rewatching Book 1 of Korra now. Is it just me, or would a Pro-Bending console game be kinda awesome?

I've never liked sports games but man, that'd be kinda sweet.
It'd have to be either a mini-game or a cheap game like a digital-only thing for Steam/PSN/XBL, or an iOS game.

But there's definitely a lot of potential. Reminds me a little of Blitzball from Final Fantasy 10.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If Su Yin isn't conspiring with them, she will at the very least be the gateway to learning just who they are and what they want. To be honest, circus chunk Zaheer talking about airbending philosophy and what's wrong with the world sounds like a fun flashback.

Yeah, this is where I'm putting my money. If I had to guess how it'll go, Zaheer or someone will taunt Korra teling her she should ask Su as he escapes and then Korra will violently question Su. Su'll then break down and recap her past, and it'll all boil down to Zaheer having worded it like that to gently caress with Korra and buy time because Su hasn't had anything to do with the Red Lotus in 30+ years.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've mulled over the Su Yin conspiracy a bit and I find it a little disturbing. I'm not saying there's any evidence for it, but there's a couple hints outside of the circus pic that make it seem possible.

Like, when Lin woke up cheerful as ever (cheerful is NOT an emotion I'd attach to Lin) wearing Metal Clan regalia... did anyone else get some Lake Laogai vibes? The fact that Team Avatar was separated from Lin was also a big one. Could the Earth Queen have been putting pressure on Zhao Fu? Did the Earth Queen send some Dai Li there as part of a plot to capture Korra?

:psyduck:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ShadowCatboy posted:

I've mulled over the Su Yin conspiracy a bit and I find it a little disturbing. I'm not saying there's any evidence for it, but there's a couple hints outside of the circus pic that make it seem possible.

Like, when Lin woke up cheerful as ever (cheerful is NOT an emotion I'd attach to Lin) wearing Metal Clan regalia... did anyone else get some Lake Laogai vibes?

Or it was the result of Lin's whole character arc over the last couple episodes? With her being really stressed out, getting acupuncture, and fighting out her issues with her sister? It seemed a lot more to me like Lin just finally got a really good night's rest and for once felt positive about her relationship with her family. Something she'd pretty clearly been wanting, but refusing to allow herself to have, for 30+ years.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Like, when Lin woke up cheerful as ever (cheerful is NOT an emotion I'd attach to Lin) wearing Metal Clan regalia... did anyone else get some Lake Laogai vibes? The fact that Team Avatar was separated from Lin was also a big one. Could the Earth Queen have been putting pressure on Zhao Fu? Did the Earth Queen send some Dai Li there as part of a plot to capture Korra?

It was a callback to Zuko doing the same in book 2. They even say the same lines upon emerging

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Suyin was one of the main reasons Zaheer's kidnapping plot failed. She suggested using the cables after all.

Suyin honestly reminds me a lot more of Toph than Lin ever did. Lin has her stubbornness, but Suyin has that too, and her carefree rebellious attitude is a lot more like the Toph we saw in the original series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think it's definitely possible that Suyin was once a member of Zaheer's group, or at least affiliated with them, but her actions thwarting their kidnapping attempt show that, if she was, she isn't now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It seems like Su is more like young Toph while Lin is more like her mother, basically.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yes, Six-Toed Ping has now been upgraded to a role as a generic enemy mook in the Platinum Korra game. Things are looking up. :madmax:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

I got that impression too but what's happened after doesn't really suggest that.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
The San Diego Comic Con preview of the remaining episodes that was quickly put together is now available on Youtube

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jorghnassen posted:

The San Diego Comic Con preview of the remaining episodes that was quickly put together is now available on Youtube

Whoa. WHOA Korra in the Hannibal Lecter straitjacket/mask. :stare: :jerky:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

DrSunshine posted:

Whoa. WHOA Korra in the Hannibal Lecter straitjacket/mask. :stare: :jerky:

Yeah, the Korra panel was loving awesome. Watching this last episode on the big screens in B20 was a definite highlight for me this year. It was really, really cool to see how they go from rough sketches to full-color animations.

Obviously, there was a lot of damage control by the producers, but I don't think the move to digital will affect all too much. Nick is smart enough to know this is a major show for them... just not for the audience their channel is marketed towards. The big issue will be what kind of budget they give the next round of episodes, but as far as storytelling and whatnot, it should still be the same old Korra.

Seems like the episode leaks may have helped the show. Nick saw what happened and decided "Fine, you want Korra online, we'll give you all the Korras online you want." Much better they go with the flow this way instead of forcing backlash by sticking to a wonky schedule like a certain Disney Channel cartoon.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

Seems like the episode leaks may have helped the show. Nick saw what happened and decided "Fine, you want Korra online, we'll give you all the Korras online you want." Much better they go with the flow this way instead of forcing backlash by sticking to a wonky schedule like a certain Disney Channel cartoon.

It also so neatly solves their problem with not really being able to advertise to the non-Dora the Explorer set that I'm surprised Nick hadn't thought of it earlier.

OK, I'm not surprised. But it does mean we might get more Avatar!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will be goddamn shocked if Season 4 isn't the last season. It sounds incredibly unlikely for Nick to ever bother renewing it after that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I will be goddamn shocked if Season 4 isn't the last season. It sounds incredibly unlikely for Nick to ever bother renewing it after that.

I don't think it was ever intended to go beyond Book 4. Back when they confirmed Books 3 & 4, they also said that 4 would be the last.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

I don't think it was ever intended to go beyond Book 4.

At one point Nick was on-record as considering it a potential replacement for the never-ending Spongebob merch machine although that clearly has died down.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

I'd be shocked too, but I'll also be pretty surprised if Korra is the last story they tell in the setting too. I'm not sure, barring ending LoK with her death, they could hit another Avatar in line without it getting into maybe more of a modern day setting then people would like but I could see them dropping back to a random past Avatar. Especially if they show the property out to people other than Nick.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Season 5: sequel to the sequel?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Babygravy posted:

Season 5: sequel to the sequel?

Nope. 5 should be Life of Kyoshi

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Huh, How many times did Aang end up captured without being rescued by a blue spirit? seems like Korra is always being imprisoned or tied up somewhere two or three times a season.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Huh, How many times did Aang end up captured without being rescued by a blue spirit? seems like Korra is always being imprisoned or tied up somewhere two or three times a season.

Why wouldn't you count the times he gets rescued by the Blue Spirit?

He gets captured two other times in season 1, aside from the Blue Spirit rescue... near the start, when he's captured by Iroh and Zuko, and then later when he's kidnapped by Zuko while meditating.

And he's frequently kind of held hostage via threat to his friends. First by Bumi, then by the Earth Kingdom general trying to provoke the Avatar State.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Pretty often, but he gets busted out pretty quick most of the time. He gets sealed up or locked up or (as in Siege of the North) Zuko just grabs him and tries to jet.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 29, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

thexerox123 posted:

Why wouldn't you count the times he gets rescued by the Blue Spirit?

He gets captured two other times in season 1, aside from the Blue Spirit rescue... near the start, when he's captured by Iroh and Zuko, and then later when he's kidnapped by Zuko while meditating.

Plus in Avatar Day, they all get thrown in jail - or was that S2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

At one point Nick was on-record as considering it a potential replacement for the never-ending Spongebob merch machine although that clearly has died down.

If they kept pushing the chibi Avatar shorts, it could've been an adequate replacement, similar to how Teen Titans transformed into Teen Titans Go!

• Locked thread