Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Yeah, but the relative dearth of large herbivores and sophistication of agriculture means that the guys you study don't flip out about ~the campaign season~ any more. Nobody does poo poo from midwinter until the new grass comes up, then the French start doing things with magazines beginning in '49 or something and by the Nine Years' War they can get into the field faster than everyone else.

This was also the period when everyone was flat convinced that if soldiers ate fresh grapes, they would die. Entire countries based strategic considerations on this: since the soldiers themselves would, of course, eat grapes if they came across vineyards, there was one point in the year when you would allow your enemies to take the field if there were vineyards in the area, so they would die. I don't know if this is based on anything real or if it's some sort of Early Modern version of fan death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

This was also the period when everyone was flat convinced that if soldiers ate fresh grapes, they would die. Entire countries based strategic considerations on this: since the soldiers themselves would, of course, eat grapes if they came across vineyards, there was one point in the year when you would allow your enemies to take the field if there were vineyards in the area, so they would die. I don't know if this is based on anything real or if it's some sort of Early Modern version of fan death.
A pure guess, maybe it's to protect wine production so the armies don't rebel and murder each other when they have no wine after eating all the grapes?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Reposting this from the WWI thread just in case anyone is interested:

PittTheElder posted:

CBC Radio is currently doing a series called The Bugle and The Passing Bell, which is apparently a re-cut of an older documentary from 1964, called Flanders Fields. Obviously it's got a pretty Canadian bent to everything, but the primary element of the show is [original recordings of] oral interviews with (Canadian) veterans of the war, which doesn't seem to be all that common a thing.

The Bugle and The Passing Bell should be available online here, though I don't know if it's accessible to non-Canadians.

The actual 17 hour series looks to be available on iTunes, but you'll have to pay :10bux:.

An amusing quote from the first episode as I'm listening to it:

quote:

<a big description of pay grades>
Soldier 1: We used to get our pay dished out to us then in coin of the realm. Paymaster would come round with a handful of bills and give us our money, and a young fellow ... when he was first given his money he said 'what's this for?' and they said 'this is your pay.' 'My god!' he said, 'do we get paid to fight!?'
Soldier 2: It never occurred to us that we were going to be paid. I had no idea that they paid the army.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh whoah it was 100 years ago today wasn't it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

A pure guess, maybe it's to protect wine production so the armies don't rebel and murder each other when they have no wine after eating all the grapes?
No, the wording used was clearly that they would get sick if they ate grapes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Koramei posted:

Oh whoah it was 100 years ago today wasn't it.

Yup. In 7 days time German troops will be crossing the Belgian border and everything irrevocably goes to poo poo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PittTheElder posted:

Reposting this from the WWI thread just in case anyone is interested:

An amusing quote from the first episode as I'm listening to it:

The contrast between this and the 30YW is pretty amusing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

The contrast between this and the 30YW is pretty amusing.
Naah, they have no idea that people pay the army either.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

FAUXTON posted:

I think a lot of belligerents were like that if they had limited resources. Why replace the ox if you need the engine/metal for a plane or tank? Besides, halftracks ain't gonna gently caress and make baby halftracks.

You, uh, you know what distinguishes an ox, yeah?

FAUXTON posted:

Everything I've seen in this thread is that Patton was a dangerous insane person barely kept in check by the command structure, without which he'd have just dumped soldiers and materiel into meatgrinder fights until the other guys ran out of ammo.

Yeah, this thread, like the rest of the internet, is prone to hyperbole. Calling Patton "dangerously insane" and incompetent is a disservice to people like Lloyd Fredendall. Similar deal with Halsey and Ghormley.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

No, the wording used was clearly that they would get sick if they ate grapes.

Are there any sources on how many grapes a soldier (or human, really) could reasonably eat without dying horribly? Because I would guess that it had to do with soldiers preferring fresh food to biscuits and eventually overeating grapes and developing dysentery, which is always happy funtimes for the entire army.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Naah, they have no idea that people pay the army either.

:golfclap:

I'm only 90% sure this is a joke, but if it is, it is hilarious.

e: Update from Bugle and the Passing Bell, in the run-up to Second Ypres:

quote:

Soldier: McCogg(?) and I were together one day and we received a message from brigade, which had come down from higher authority, saying 'the Germans are expected to attack with gas, take the necessary precautions.' And we looked at each other and said 'what are the necessary precautions?' and we hadn't the faintest idea, we'd never heard of gas before. We called brigade and we said we'd received this message, [and asked] 'what are the necessary precautions?', they said 'we don't know any more than you do. If we find out anything we'll let you know.'
:smith:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 28, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hogge Wild posted:

What good military equipment did the Japanese have?

In general, Japan had good equipment with a few key deficiencies.

1) God awful squad level infantry support weapons, especially automatic weapons.
2) Lack of radar, especially shipboard radar.
3) Terrible tanks, although this was not a very big deal since they were either fighting the Chinese, who had no tanks, or dug in as strongpoints.

Especially at the beginning of the war, Japanese hardware was about as good or better than most other combatants. Some stuff kept pace pretty well with Allied developments in terms of pure quality, like fighter aircraft. But the difference in the war wasn't about superior hardware, it was about superior production. The Allies could have won if they never built anything more advanced than what they had in service at the end of 1941 and would have won the war* (with significantly higher casualties, of course).

*with the exception of the B-29

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

:golfclap:

I'm only 90% sure this is a joke, but if it is, it is hilarious.

It's a joke. Everyone wants to get payed and, in an ideal world, they would be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Everything I've seen in this thread is that Patton was a dangerous insane person barely kept in check by the command structure, without which he'd have just dumped soldiers and materiel into meatgrinder fights until the other guys ran out of ammo.

My own view of Patton (including Beevor's Normandy, but also others) is that he was the only Allied general that matched the aggressiveness of German and Soviet generals such as Guderian, Manstein, Zhukov or Rokossovsky, but that he also unfortunately brought those aspects into his personal life (i.e. slapping the GI in Siciliy) and the hell-for-leather approach didn't go over so well serving within a democracy

PittTheElder posted:

This, and also that the Germans actually outnumbered Soviet forces during the initial invasion. Video games have done a pretty terrible thing for the West's understanding of how that whole thing went down I think.

My first exposure to Barbarossa was through Panzer General, so for the longest time I had the impression that the first 2 months or so of the Eastern Front was a massive slog with the Germans being stymied by the Russians at every turn until they finally march into Smolensk in the nick of time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

It's a joke. Everyone wants to get payed and, in an ideal world, they would be.

What's the longest that an army has campaigned for without actually getting paid?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think a lot of the thread's dislike of Patton is a reaction to the jingoistic way he is now lauded. Personally I suspect that had he lived, he would have ended up regarded about as well as Montegomery. I think both were perfectly adequate generals, with their own foibles. I do think both were some way below, say, the best Soviet generals, though, because it is easy to look good while you hold all the advantages and are mostly attacking. I don't think either had to endure the truly lovely, lovely situations the likes of Zhukov and Rokossovsky had to go through.

Put Patton in command of a Soviet front in June 1941 and he would have died. Boy would he have died.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

What's the longest that an army has campaigned for without actually getting paid?
I don't know for sure, but off the top of my head, I'd say von Frundsberg's guys in Italy. He organized his last army in late 26/27 and on 13 March 27, when they hadn't gotten payed and hadn't fought a battle either (both would have helped, since the laws of war entitle you to the property of the beaten dead), they just said gently caress it, downed pikes, and refused to go any further.

See, the thing is that this question is a little misleading since a lot of the time a nice battle or a really good defeat of a city will come along, and you can just kind of coast on that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fangz posted:

I do think both were some way below, say, the best Soviet generals, though, because it is easy to look good while you hold all the advantages and are mostly attacking. I don't think either had to endure the truly lovely, lovely situations the likes of Zhukov and Rokossovsky had to go through.

Put Patton in command of a Soviet front in June 1941 and he would have died. Boy would he have died.

Reading about the Eastern Front, you do a get a sense of just how much the Soviets had to learn and how much they tangibly improved their planning, staff work, tactics, doctrine, etc over the next 4 years, and I do think it's worth considering that American commanders didn't quite have as long to sharpen their skills (the Pacific seems better at this).

For Monty though I have no excuse, dude was fighting since May 1940

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

29 years.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well that's not an army though, that's one guy on an island somewhere. Entirely different psychology to the situation.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

I don't know for sure, but off the top of my head, I'd say von Frundsberg's guys in Italy. He organized his last army in late 26/27 and on 13 March 27, when they hadn't gotten payed and hadn't fought a battle either (both would have helped, since the laws of war entitle you to the property of the beaten dead), they just said gently caress it, downed pikes, and refused to go any further.

See, the thing is that this question is a little misleading since a lot of the time a nice battle or a really good defeat of a city will come along, and you can just kind of coast on that.

Sorry, that's what I meant, an army that was raised, promised unimaginable wealth (for a certain definition of unimaginable) and then the wealth fails to materialize.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Well that's not an army though, that's one guy on an island somewhere. Entirely different psychology to the situation.
I feel so sorry for those people. God, how sad and weird that must feel. Would being alone for that length of time literally drive you crazy?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

I think a lot of belligerents were like that if they had limited resources. Why replace the ox if you need the engine/metal for a plane or tank? Besides, halftracks ain't gonna gently caress and make baby halftracks.

The picture I've gotten is that Japan was especially bad off for potential recruits with a basic level of technological familiarity. Other countries at least had good railroads and so on. So training up recruits would be especially expensive, and doing it with conscripts would really sting because they didn't serve for long.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

HEY GAL posted:

I feel so sorry for those people. God, how sad and weird that must feel. Would being alone for that length of time literally drive you crazy?

I heard that prisoners in solitary confinement experience brain damage due to the loss of socialization, but the circumstances aren't quite the same (closet vs tropical island).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sorry, that's what I meant, an army that was raised, promised unimaginable wealth (for a certain definition of unimaginable) and then the wealth fails to materialize.

You are probably looking at the Roman era for that. The Senate was forever trying to get out of paying for the decade long campaigns the Republic kept getting into. And it got far worse in the less stable Imperial periods.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

Reading about the Eastern Front, you do a get a sense of just how much the Soviets had to learn and how much they tangibly improved their planning, staff work, tactics, doctrine, etc over the next 4 years, and I do think it's worth considering that American commanders didn't quite have as long to sharpen their skills (the Pacific seems better at this).

For Monty though I have no excuse, dude was fighting since May 1940

The Red Army in 1941 was worse off than you might think because there were essentially zero experienced officers left in the field, and only a handful at command level. There were colonels in charge of divisions (that's normally a major general's post) with majors as chiefs of staff. And that's not counting some of the more competent men who were shot after the war broke out pour encourager les autres. Specifically the commander of the 4th Army, Korobkov, was shot along with the Front commander despite having managed to keep his own command together enough to conduct a fighting retreat instead of being surrounded and cut to pieces like the armies on his flanks.

Now back to Montgomery Chat:

One of the biggest "what ifs" of the war for me is how Richard O'Connor would've fared against Rommel had he not been captured in the opening stages of the first Afrika Korps offensive. Montgomery was dropped into Egypt at just the right time to win decisively at Second El Alamein, but I have to think that Auchinleck might've managed the same thing, since he was in charge when the German advance was actually stopped/ran out of supplies.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

It must. Although I imagine you have to be a little bit crazy to begin with to try and carry on the fight for more than a decade. It must have been heartbreaking for Onoda to learn that he had friends that had died literally for nothing, and perhaps killed for nothing as well.

Although now I'm curious, how much fighting could these guys really have been doing anyway? They can't have had much in the way of materiel, so I wouldn't be surprised if they spend most of their time just patrolling abandoned patches of mountains, and only coming down when they needed supplies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PittTheElder posted:

Shows what an ignoramus you are!

Well anyway, it's multiple lone guys on multiple islands... who all just happen to think the empire is still kicking and all evidence to the contrary is enemy propaganda. Human mind works in mysterious ways.

But I admit, it's wrong to compare 17th century mercenaries powered by geld (and corporal punishment) to 20th century conscripts powered by nationalism (and corporal punishment).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PittTheElder posted:

It must. Although I imagine you have to be a little bit crazy to begin with to try and carry on the fight for more than a decade. It must have been heartbreaking for Onoda to learn that he had friends that had died literally for nothing, and perhaps killed for nothing as well.

Although now I'm curious, how much fighting could these guys really have been doing anyway? They can't have had much in the way of materiel, so I wouldn't be surprised if they spend most of their time just patrolling abandoned patches of mountains, and only coming down when they needed supplies.

Onoda actually wrote a book about his experiences. And yeah, it ends with him literally asking what it had all been for. As you say, it's heartbreaking.

Definitely worth reading.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Well anyway, it's multiple lone guys on multiple islands... who all just happen to think the empire is still kicking and all evidence to the contrary is enemy propaganda. Human mind works in mysterious ways.

But I admit, it's wrong to compare 17th century mercenaries powered by geld (and corporal punishment) to 20th century conscripts powered by nationalism (and corporal punishment).
If the equivalents are (1) cling to my nation to have something to cling to and (2) flip out alone in the goddamned woods because I haven't seen another human being in forever, I guess I'm down with the idea that the Japanese Empire has been at war for the past forty years. If it's that or believe in nothing.

And I've seen these guys' Gerichtbuecher, there's less corporal punishment than you might think. You'll get branded or forced to stand six hours of watch while wearing six suits of armor (I imagine they must have tied the extra breastplates to those guys) if you do something against the Articles of War and you'll get killed if you murder someone and nobody finds any extenuating circumstances, but there's no flogging or anything, I think. Why would there be? When these guys get unhappy, they walk off (they're not supposed to, but they will).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

From a thought that randomly popped into my head, how good were these guys at latrine discipline, or camp hygiene in general?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

From a thought that randomly popped into my head, how good were these guys at latrine discipline, or camp hygiene in general?
Hahahahahahahaha.

Guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's about what I was expecting. Were the peasantry any better at such things? If everybody is making GBS threads everywhere anyway I guess it might not matter what your particular group of dudes is doing.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

That's about what I was expecting. Were the peasantry any better at such things? If everybody is making GBS threads everywhere anyway I guess it might not matter what your particular group of dudes is doing.

There is a small difference between 100 people throwing their poo poo into a river and 10000 people throwing their poo poo into that river.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Regarding the inaction of the Allies to advance into Germany at the end of 1944 you really need to understand how the Normandy campaign went down. NO ONE on the allied side expected the Germans to completely fold and rout after breaking out of the Cotentin Peninsula. The Allied high command expected to have to fight against multiple defensive lines throughout France as the Germans fell back to natural obstacles. Luckily for the Allies, Hitler was steadfastly refusing to give ground by 1944 and foolishly rushed the entire German army into an indefensible position in an attempt to counterattack against the Allied armies, completely blowing everything up as the Falaise Pocket was formed and shut. What this meant was that the Allies advanced across all of France literally months before they expected, outrunning their logistical means. Since the original plan had been a gradual advance across France the Allies were confident that the logistical situation would keep up. But now, suddenly 400 miles from both the beaches and the one deep water port they had working, it was a giant logistical cluster gently caress. The Allies literally could not advance any further without engaging in extremely risky shoestring operations like Market Garden or battering their heads against the wall in the Hurtgen forest. They literally did not plan to begin any real large action until the spring of the following year. Obviously The Battle of the Bulge changed the situation drastically.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PittTheElder posted:

How good were the Romans at it? They were pretty great about throwing up forts for defenses.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

How good were the Romans at it? They were pretty great about throwing up forts for defenses.
So good I think I remember hearing that they'd get on your case for not washing your hands after you took a poo poo. Could be wrong though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Probably gonna write up a big effort post about the British naval mobilization in July 1914 in a couple of days.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

HEY GAL posted:

So good I think I remember hearing that they'd get on your case for not washing your hands after you took a poo poo. Could be wrong though.

Roman Legions were legendary for being able to turn an empty piece of land into a fortress in a day. Caius Marius' troops were best known for it, they would carry so much and work so hard they were called "Marius' Mules". But he'd be down in the ditches helping them as well, sleeping on the dirt, eating the same food they ate. A soldier's soldier.

Too bad he turned into a despot later. It's hard to imagine someone hating you so much that they dig up your bones and throw them into the river so nobody can ever pay their respects at your grave. Then again, Sulla was known for holding grudges.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Probably gonna write up a big effort post about the British naval mobilization in July 1914 in a couple of days.

Oooh yes please.

• Locked thread