Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I wouldn't protest it even if it was totally clearcut. I mostly just wanted to make sure I'm not in the wrong here so that I don't violate etiquette in the future.

If anyone is curious, here is the replay: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj4gv79nsr43vcp/subses11439680.rpy

Wreck in question is on Lap 18. It might be fun to watch just because it's a drat bloodbath. There's a pileup (which our antagonist was critical to) behind the god dmaned pace car before the green flag even comes out.

Look at the results: http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=11439680&custid=161212

Anyway, thanks for the input. Just trying to turn every infuriating wreck into a learning opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got protested by one dude because I "ran bellow the white line and you can't do that and also I can't drive because I'm Asian and I don't own a car and don't race in trucks because I ruin it for the people who actually wan to race."

Of course I was the guy with the blue stripes on my bumper but :shrug:

edit: Obviously nothing came of it.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just fired iRacing up after a long hiatus and the Skip Barber is actually saveable now :stare:

oses
Jul 20, 2014

Overwined posted:

Sorry, doubleposting because I have a question regarding race etiquette. I would have posted this as a short video clip, but that's not an easy thing to extract.

You can trim a replay so that it is a more reasonable size. (it saves a second replay) Just click the scissors button on the spectating screen.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

LordPants posted:

I got protested by one dude because I "ran bellow the white line and you can't do that and also I can't drive because I'm Asian and I don't own a car and don't race in trucks because I ruin it for the people who actually wan to race."

Of course I was the guy with the blue stripes on my bumper but :shrug:

edit: Obviously nothing came of it.

If you run below the white line going into a corner (aka Charlotte) and inevitably take out someone in the corner because you can't hold it below the line (it's impossible I know), that's not right. I was taken out during Star Mazda oval week at Charlotte by someone doing that. I was leading the race and some idiot thought he could pass me below the white line and I'd just give him room in the corner to pass me :iiam:

izagoof posted:

Just fired iRacing up after a long hiatus and the Skip Barber is actually saveable now :stare:

I haven't tried the Skippy since the update but I'm sure it's a lot more fun now. I guess the new update makes most of the cars easier to drive without wrecking.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS0DWGJi_vU

Unless you get forced below the apron after you've come up alongside.

I got lucky as hell in that case, that should have taken us both out. But it was last lap and he'd already done that 3 times and I was fed up.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Slickdrac posted:

I got lucky as hell in that case, that should have taken us both out. But it was last lap and he'd already done that 3 times and I was fed up.

Absolutely correct. If you're being blocked onto the apron, go for it.

In my case SM:Charlotte as NASCAR:Daytona in terms of being flat out the whole way around. You just hug the white line the whole way though and nobody can pass you without help or passing below the white line

I should make a YouTube video of what not to do out of it.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Slickdrac posted:

I know that you got an undeserved 4x out of that, but it was still satisfying to watch that jerk go into the fence (alone), especially since you said he did it three times.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've got a two hour open practice up with the DW12 at Oulton Park.

Session is: goonygoongoons
Password is: butteslol

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So is Gooncar dead? That's what people in the chat said at least a few days ago. Anyone who feels like starting it up again? Preferably with race times friendlier to euro goons.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Torabi posted:

So is Gooncar dead? That's what people in the chat said at least a few days ago. Anyone who feels like starting it up again? Preferably with race times friendlier to euro goons.

I'll fund another season of it, but I'd rather make it a public league for more participation. Maybe we could have a couple different races/seasons, to accommodate as many people as possible.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Everyone owes it to themselves to try the Spec Racer Ford since the update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXqrwgam7NM

My old setups worked OK with some slight tire pressure adjustments and changing the rear ARB to medium instead of stiff.

I'm now undecided on running indy road vs. SRF for my road racing fix next season.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Backfires look pretty good at night:

Though if we want to get :colbert: about it, I don't remember the DW12 ever popping like that.

Also, the new Phoenix track with the DW12 is going to cause so many grown adults to get angry. Turn 3 can be taken flat out below the yellow line without a black flag.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 28, 2014

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

That's what the NASCAR boys do isn't it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ManicJason posted:

Everyone owes it to themselves to try the Spec Racer Ford since the update.

3m50s in that video :stare:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dynamite Dog posted:

Also, and I promise this is the last time I'll shill for my team, if anyone is interested in an Indy/Star Mazda/Sportscar focused team we're now officially recruiting people for next season. We've got a lot of good regulars and have managed to race in Indycar for years without attracting any drama or shitstorms; we just want to have fun going fast in cool looking internet racecars.
I went ahead and applied. Currently I'm still set to run Indy Fixed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KingShibby posted:

If you run below the white line going into a corner (aka Charlotte) and inevitably take out someone in the corner because you can't hold it below the line (it's impossible I know), that's not right. I was taken out during Star Mazda oval week at Charlotte by someone doing that. I was leading the race and some idiot thought he could pass me below the white line and I'd just give him room in the corner to pass me :iiam:

Man that sucks. No it wasn't that, an old timer ran over me on the front straight and then claimed "I was below the white line" or something. And I was like "Yes I was, because when I saw you were going to hit me I had to get out of the way, but you still hit me!" and then he was like "cornsarnit dang nabbit you you can't go beneath the cotton' pickin' white line" or whatever. It was one of those crazies you get in bottom split trucks when there are only two splits and you get lumped in with the weirdos.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Was about to have my first good road race. Then this happened.

http://pahlavan.se/dump/iracing_bigjerk.webm

I hope SA eventually lets you embed webms because they are great.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Torabi posted:

Was about to have my first good road race. Then this happened.

http://pahlavan.se/dump/iracing_bigjerk.webm

I hope SA eventually lets you embed webms because they are great.

Ugh, yes that is a total dick move. I assume this was in Road Rookies? I want to start moving up that badge next season (tomorrow, basically) and I dread Road Rookies which seem even worse than Oval Rookies. Someone please tell me I'm wrong. I have a 2.71 SR in Oval and with a small amount of effort I could probably push it over 3.0, but I'm going to go easy. Seems like a good way to gently caress it up.

Speaking of that, I have a question. I was looking over the schedule for Season 3 and I see a lot of requirements are like "Rookie 3.0" or "Rookie 4.0". This in essence is the SR for the Rookie badge or a higher badge minus the major SR point, right? So like Rookie 3.0 is basically D-Class 2.0, and Rookie 4.0 is D-Class 3.0 AND C-Class 2.0, right? I'm asking because my plan is to skip going up a badge today and get to Rookie 3.0 so I can race Legends. Am I right that I can do that?

I also want to race the Skippy at Rookie 4.0 Road, which means I'll basically be auto-upgraded to D-Class 3.0 at that point, right? Am I right that I can do these things?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Overwined posted:

Ugh, yes that is a total dick move. I assume this was in Road Rookies? I want to start moving up that badge next season (tomorrow, basically) and I dread Road Rookies which seem even worse than Oval Rookies. Someone please tell me I'm wrong. I have a 2.71 SR in Oval and with a small amount of effort I could probably push it over 3.0, but I'm going to go easy. Seems like a good way to gently caress it up.

Speaking of that, I have a question. I was looking over the schedule for Season 3 and I see a lot of requirements are like "Rookie 3.0" or "Rookie 4.0". This in essence is the SR for the Rookie badge or a higher badge minus the major SR point, right? So like Rookie 3.0 is basically D-Class 2.0, and Rookie 4.0 is D-Class 3.0 AND C-Class 2.0, right? I'm asking because my plan is to skip going up a badge today and get to Rookie 3.0 so I can race Legends. Am I right that I can do that?

I also want to race the Skippy at Rookie 4.0 Road, which means I'll basically be auto-upgraded to D-Class 3.0 at that point, right? Am I right that I can do these things?

That was from a week 13 mazda cup. I can't wait for week 13 to end. Also, I'm wondering about the requirements too. Since there is no real "Rookie 4.0" since after 3.0 you get your D License.

I really want to get a skip barber car too. They seem really fun.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Im gonna take a minute here to be that guy, but since its the 13th week I thought Id take a legends car around leguna seca. I mostly tried to take it easy, but I was being stubborn here and didn't want to lift. I bet I made those miatas pretty nervous, though I was cracking up as it happened. As you can see I desperately need a wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vId0jy_048U

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Basically at 4.0+ you can race one class higher. Normally you would be promoted at that point; only reason you wouldn't is if you haven't completed the MPR. But you can complete the MPR by "racing up" into the next class.

In general it would allow you to skip past one class if you really didn't want to buy a car for it. eg you could race the Skip (D class) until you hit C 4.0 and then start racing B class and never buy any C class cars.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

And for my week 13 grand finale I give you this.
http://pahlavan.se/dump/week13_grand_finale.webm
I still can't believe it happened.

Week 13 never again.

Cage posted:

Im gonna take a minute here to be that guy, but since its the 13th week I thought Id take a legends car around leguna seca. I mostly tried to take it easy, but I was being stubborn here and didn't want to lift. I bet I made those miatas pretty nervous, though I was cracking up as it happened. As you can see I desperately need a wheel.

You and me both.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Were those MPR/SR races? If so, you should protest that guy.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Cage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vId0jy_048U

I like how the driver is headbanging as he corrects back and forth.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Were those MPR/SR races? If so, you should protest that guy.

Yeah they were. The Week 13 mazda cup or whatever it is called. The second one I posted was probably just the guy being stupid. But the first one really did ruin my race. Not sure if it was intentional or not. Don't really feel like being "that" guy who protests everybody who does something wrong but it did feel pretty deliberate seeing as how the spotter must have told him repeatedly "car on the right".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless you have a video of him saying "I'm going to run into you" while he does it, they chalk it up as a racing incident.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Unless you have a video of him saying "I'm going to run into you" while he does it, they chalk it up as a racing incident.

Yeah. Figured. It's just a videoga- er.. simulation, in the end.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I mean this is the next best thing. He's right in front of this dude going slow and the dude just guns it.

Also, since it seems like there are lot of goon rookies, we should all friend each other and race these terrible rookie classes together. We can do some rear end to mouthnose to tail racing and help each other out. It'll at least be one (or more) less person to smash into you. Well, no guarantees on that last one.

oses
Jul 20, 2014
Yea, we need to do a "friend list" thing, if you hop in IRC its a lot easier. I'm running the Skippy, maybe the CTS, and MAYBE the SRF in D road. I'm rookie in oval atm so we'll see where that gets me. :bang:

I made a video of the good side of the rookie road series. This is in the last of week 13 rookie road races (the last one before servers went down).

I started 14th ended up 2nd. The battle was between me and another D-class guy but it was really tight until he hosed up. Also, all contacts were 0x so good clean racing. Here is the youtube video and here is the replay.

PS: sorry about the flashing at the start of the youtube video. Vegas decided to be a dumb-dumb during rendering and I wasn't going to spend another hour rendering that POS.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So I don't have any oval series that I can play that will count towards promotion right now. There are a ton of different oval race things that I can get into if I buy the track and car but I have no idea what to get. I have a D license in oval. Annoying that it just lists everything as ineligible instead of showing what I can drive if I own the content.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Torabi posted:

So I don't have any oval series that I can play that will count towards promotion right now. There are a ton of different oval race things that I can get into if I buy the track and car but I have no idea what to get. I have a D license in oval. Annoying that it just lists everything as ineligible instead of showing what I can drive if I own the content.

Go into Series > Current Seasons

It will list all the series by license type. You can then click the + by the series name and it will open up the schedule and how much content of the schedule you own.

It's also possible to stay in rookies until D4.0 and jumping straight to a C series.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Largepotato posted:

Go into Series > Current Seasons

It will list all the series by license type. You can then click the + by the series name and it will open up the schedule and how much content of the schedule you own.

It's also possible to stay in rookies until D4.0 and jumping straight to a C series.

Yeah that's what was suggested to me. Probably gonna try and go for D 4.0.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

You can race Advanced Legends with Rookie 3.0, which is exactly what I plan on doing after a modest number of Street Stock races. I don't know why, but I really dig those Legends cars. Figure it'll be a good intro into setups, too.

simble
May 11, 2004

My first DW12 race last night at Michigan. :getin:

Less than 0.05s behind 2nd too. This car loving owns. I got new tires on lap 20 (restart was at lap 24). The new tire degradation I think definitely played a role here.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

simble posted:

My first DW12 race last night at Michigan. :getin:

Less than 0.05s behind 2nd too. This car loving owns. I got new tires on lap 20 (restart was at lap 24). The new tire degradation I think definitely played a role here.

Nice run, I'm planning on racing tonight (was busy last night). If I do fixed and there's a late-ish caution, I might stop for tires and see if I can pull a RHR...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Overwined posted:

You can race Advanced Legends with Rookie 3.0, which is exactly what I plan on doing after a modest number of Street Stock races. I don't know why, but I really dig those Legends cars. Figure it'll be a good intro into setups, too.

legends cars are amzing, one of my fave cars to drive.

oses
Jul 20, 2014
I may try to get C class road to do some indy oval, but I'd probably just do street stocks. I hate the legends races because they run those stupid infield ovals like charlotte.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
drat it, I really want to try this.. Hard to justify spending at least 100€ for a wheel though. How bad exactly are the really cheap ones (~40€)? I don't think I'd have much fun with my xbox controller, and I'm afraid I'll drop the 250 bucks for a G27 otherwise which would definitely not be worth it since I don't have that much time for it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Wuntvor posted:

drat it, I really want to try this.. Hard to justify spending at least 100€ for a wheel though. How bad exactly are the really cheap ones (~40€)? I don't think I'd have much fun with my xbox controller, and I'm afraid I'll drop the 250 bucks for a G27 otherwise which would definitely not be worth it since I don't have that much time for it anyway.

I wouldn't go cheaper than a Driving Force GT. You should be able to find a used one for about 40-60€.

• Locked thread