Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Well my goal was to make shredded type chicken, along with beans and rice, to use as burrito or taco filling. I found this recipe and figured I would copy the method, but swap out basically all of the ingredients for fresh vegetables, dry rice, dry beans, and actual spices. I came here to see if it was possible to toss the beans/rice in and just let it go, or if I had to cook them separately first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm a very novice cook so I apologize ahead of time:

Rice cooker. Is an expensive fuzzy logic cooker really "worth it"? Is the quality of the resulting rice really going to be that much better than the cheapo $30 models?

No. Yes. It depends.

What are you making? Are you buying and cooking the same rice all the time? Do you have a bit of a time crunch to get your rice done quickly once you dump it in the cooker? Are you bothered about keep warm functions?

IF you use all different kinds of grains (long grain brown rice, short grain brown rice, sushi white rice, white jasmine, white basmati, white long grain, medium grain brown, medium grain white, quinoa, millet, kasha, etc), all of which require different cooking times and water levels, and IF you need for the rice to stay piping hot for a day at a time because you're eating rice so frequently that reheating rice is going to waste time for you, and IF you need all the features that a fuzzy logic rice cooker comes with, go spend the money on one.

If you're making one maybe two varieties of rice all the time, get a basic model with an on-off switch. I used the basic model for about 20 years or so.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

McSpankWich posted:

Well my goal was to make shredded type chicken, along with beans and rice, to use as burrito or taco filling. I found this recipe and figured I would copy the method, but swap out basically all of the ingredients for fresh vegetables, dry rice, dry beans, and actual spices. I came here to see if it was possible to toss the beans/rice in and just let it go, or if I had to cook them separately first.

If you have chicken thighs, you can slow cook them. You can use the crock pot or braise them on the stove, it won't take 8 hours though. If you have chicken breast, slow cooking is not a great method. It'll be mushy and while your chicken is submerged in a sauce, the meat fibers themselves will be dry. If you want shredded chicken breast, poach it whole in chicken broth for just 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the breast, flipping halfway, just until it's cooked through. Let rest and cool and then shred, and then mix with spices/sauce.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Old chickens are okay for slow cooking. Hens after their egg laying years or roosters, they have a lot more connective tissue. Usually cheaper too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone have a good recipe for spiced basmati that would work as a side dish? There are a ton of recipes online and I have no idea which one to try.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

McSpankWich posted:

Here's a simple way to prepare shredded chicken for tacos or enchiladas:
  • Get a large pot and put in a couple of chicken breasts.
  • Put in a bay leaf, peppercorns (I use 8), and half a small onion (you could cut them further and have two quarter pieces of onion).
  • Cover completely with water and bring to a boil.
  • Turn down heat and simmer for about 45 minutes.
  • Remove the chicken and let it cool in its broth.
  • When cooled down, shred it with forks. You can add some shredded or grated cheese at this point (Parmesan is good, or maybe some shredded Mexican Four Cheese). Add salt to taste.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for spiced basmati that would work as a side dish? There are a ton of recipes online and I have no idea which one to try.
Heat up some peanut oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, 2 cardamom pods, a stick of cinnamon, and a tiny bit of turmeric (maybe 1/4 tsp?). Fry until the spices are very fragrant. Add basmati rice, and toss to combine. Toast the rice until it smells nutty. Add water appropriate to the amount of rice you're using. Add a generous bit of salt. Let the whole thing come to a boil, and then drop it down to a simmer. Slam on the lid, and let it cook on lowest heat for 12 minutes. Turn off the burner, and let it sit there for another 8 minutes. When it's finished, serve. Also works great if you add some slivered almonds, fried cashews, or shelled pistachio. Before serving, fish out the cardamom pods and the cinnamon stick.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

McSpankWich posted:

So this recipe uses canned beans, which are fully cooked, and parboiled rice, which is quick-cooking. You should pre-cook both of those elements if you want to use dry beans and regular rice. Also, that recipe looks gross as hell and will give you textureless slop. Cook things separately. If you really want shredded chicken, use dark meat like thighs and you can braise those with spices and such in the crock pot--that's a great use for it and the dark meat will reheat beautifully. Don't boil / crock pot / overcook chicken breast until it "shreds." It'll be stringy mush that sticks to your teeth.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

dino. posted:

No. Yes. It depends.

What are you making? Are you buying and cooking the same rice all the time? Do you have a bit of a time crunch to get your rice done quickly once you dump it in the cooker? Are you bothered about keep warm functions?

IF you use all different kinds of grains (long grain brown rice, short grain brown rice, sushi white rice, white jasmine, white basmati, white long grain, medium grain brown, medium grain white, quinoa, millet, kasha, etc), all of which require different cooking times and water levels, and IF you need for the rice to stay piping hot for a day at a time because you're eating rice so frequently that reheating rice is going to waste time for you, and IF you need all the features that a fuzzy logic rice cooker comes with, go spend the money on one.

If you're making one maybe two varieties of rice all the time, get a basic model with an on-off switch. I used the basic model for about 20 years or so.
This is great info, thank you!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone have a good recipe for Japanese curry, and a recommendation for a good curry brand to get?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've only ever made it from cubes, I think this is the most common brand:

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Curry-Sauce-Medium-8-4-Ounce/dp/B0011ULFVG/

If you find a good recipe, let me know, I'll try it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, S&B Golden Curry is the Japanese curry roux standard. There are probably better ones out there, but you can't go wrong with this brand.

Making a curry roux from scratch is also not really difficult. You just make a regular (light brown) roux and add equal parts of garam masala and curryp powder to it. You can also add cayenne pepper. The ratio of roux to spices should be roughly 4:1. Heat the roux for an additional 30 seconds after mixing in the spices. That's it.

But honestly for me there is no big difference between store bought roux and roux made from scratch so do what you find more convenient.

Also here is an easy to follow curry recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIvs_i1kB4

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 28, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Breaky posted:

When I've made it the tamarind / tamarind paste went into the sauce with the sugar and everything else.

mich posted:

You should use the tamarind instead of vinegar in the sauce, then still squeeze on lime at the end.

If you'd like to try a more in depth pad thai recipe next time try this:

http://shesimmers.com/2011/11/pad-thai-recipe-part-five-making-pad.html

Thanks guys

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Making a curry roux from scratch is also not really difficult. You just make a regular (light brown) roux and add equal parts of garam masala and curryp powder to it. You can also add cayenne pepper. The ratio of roux to spices should be roughly 4:1. Heat the roux for an additional 30 seconds after mixing in the spices. That's it.

Is that for a more Asian style curry though? If you wanted to go the whole hog for a Japanese curry, maybe they might better thinking of it as a curry flavoured navy stew... I've read the instructions for one of the ones from an old restaurant and it was very heavy on the veal stock and light on the everything else.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The cubes also have a fair amount of sugar in them. I've always assumed that this is where the glossy appearance comes from.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Is that for a more Asian style curry though? If you wanted to go the whole hog for a Japanese curry, maybe they might better thinking of it as a curry flavoured navy stew... I've read the instructions for one of the ones from an old restaurant and it was very heavy on the veal stock and light on the everything else.

Stock is needed, indeed. I should have added the following: If you make the roux that way you need to add some kind of meat stock as liquid to the stew and not water like with store bought roux.

Store bought curry roux is not just roux but a cross between a block of roux and a bouillon cube.

You can also add stuff like coriander or dark chocolate to the roux by the way.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 28, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good 1/2- or single-cup rice cooker?

I have a nice, like, 6-cup cooker I got out of Costco several years ago, but the least it does is way too much for one person (like, two cups), and I rarely have need for the most it does.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Thanatosian posted:

I have a nice, like, 6-cup cooker I got out of Costco several years ago, but the least it does is way too much for one person (like, two cups), and I rarely have need for the most it does.

Rice freezes pretty well. When you want some cover it with a wet paper towel and microwave for a minute or two.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
ISO a chicken paprikash recipe. Housemate of Polish descent and I have been on an Eastern European cooking tangent as of late. I'm combing through Google results, but do any goons have tips/tricks they'd like to share? Thanks in advance.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.
I saw a two pound slab of meat for $7, and figured buying it was a good idea. It's a Chuck steak, bone-in/7 bone streak.

Anyone have a good recipe for it?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

Rice freezes pretty well. When you want some cover it with a wet paper towel and microwave for a minute or two.

You can also put it in a strainer and pour a kettle full of boiling water over it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Thanatosian posted:

Have you tried just doing less than "the least"? I have a 4 cup rice cooker that says the minimum is 1 cup, but I regularly put less than that with no trouble.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I've tried this (even with the wet paper towel) and it never comes out well; by far the best thing I've found to do with leftover rice is make fried rice out of it, which comes out loving awesome, but that's a lot of work.

Jan posted:

Have you tried just doing less than "the least"? I have a 4 cup rice cooker that says the minimum is 1 cup, but I regularly put less than that with no trouble.
I probably should have thought of this before; I'll give it a shot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bacon brewed beer posted:

I saw a two pound slab of meat for $7, and figured buying it was a good idea. It's a Chuck steak, bone-in/7 bone streak.

Anyone have a good recipe for it?

2lbs of chuck makes a hell of a steak. I'd stick it in the oven or slow cooker with some potatoes onions and carrots and have a roast. Or make stew or chili out of it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Thanatosian posted:

The 1.5 cup models are $$$ compared to the larger ones. If you're willing to spring the extra cash for it, go for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SR-3NA-Automatic-Uncooked-Cooker/dp/B0001ZPOLE/

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

ISO a chicken paprikash recipe. Housemate of Polish descent and I have been on an Eastern European cooking tangent as of late. I'm combing through Google results, but do any goons have tips/tricks they'd like to share? Thanks in advance.
I made this one from the wiki a few years ago, and it went down well.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

I probably should have thought of this before; I'll give it a shot.

I'm betting we have the same rice cooker, I regularly put one cup of rice in it and it works just fine. Once I put 3/4 of a cup in and it was a little crispy on the bottom, but still fine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So the new place I'm renting has a gas range which I really like, but since it's my first time having one, I'm noticing it takes way longer to boil water than an electric range...why?

I think my normal hard boiled egg method is over now...it used to be cold water 1" above eggs, bring to boil for one minute, remove from heat and cover for 12 minutes, then put in ice water...any suggestions?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you had a half-dozen peeled potatoes sitting in your fridge, what would you do with them?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

So the new place I'm renting has a gas range which I really like, but since it's my first time having one, I'm noticing it takes way longer to boil water than an electric range...why?
Just means the burner you're using now is putting out less heat than the burner you were using before. There's really nothing magic about the source of the heat when you're talking about something like boiling a pot of water.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nwin posted:

Your gas burner sucks. Professional kitchens preferentially use gas burners.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C-Euro posted:

If you had a half-dozen peeled potatoes sitting in your fridge, what would you do with them?

Latkes

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

baquerd posted:

Your gas burner sucks. Professional kitchens preferentially use gas burners.

Right thanks. I know gas is better which is why I was wondering a cheap electric is apparently better (ok not better...just a higher BTU?)at boiling water than this gas one with the MEGA burner setting on one of the knobs.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Every gas burner I've used sucked at boiling water, but then again it's only been like 3 of them. I've taken to pre-boiling water in my electric tea kettle and adding it to the pot, it's way way faster. My kettle can boil water for pasta in like a minute, where the burner would take at least a few minutes.

Peeled potatoes: Maybe potato salad? Unless they're well-cooked russet varieties, they'll kind of disintegrate if you try to make potato salad out of them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nwin posted:

Right thanks. I know gas is better which is why I was wondering a cheap electric is apparently better (ok not better...just a higher BTU?)at boiling water than this gas one with the MEGA burner setting on one of the knobs.

Your knobs could be switched with each other? I lived in a place like that and was confused for a little while until I switched them back.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

C-Euro posted:

Chop them to hashbrown size (chunky not stringy), boil for a couple minutes, freeze on a tray. Voila, hashbrowns whenever you want without having to chop up the potatoes.

I just really like hashbrowns.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.

toe knee hand posted:

Chop them to hashbrown size (chunky not stringy), boil for a couple minutes, freeze on a tray. Voila, hashbrowns whenever you want without having to chop up the potatoes.

I just really like hashbrowns.

Is boiling for a couple minutes the trick?

I've shredded potatoes and squeezed out the excess water. After, I've laid them flat in the freezer, prior to bagging, but after that they turn black. What an I doing wrong when I'm trying to mange my own ready to cook hash browns?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Quick, awesome chicken teriyaki recipe to impress a lady with?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

89 posted:

Quick, awesome chicken teriyaki recipe to impress a lady with?

Steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is it me, or does basa fish taste like nothing so much as scrambled eggs (maybe it's because I pan fried it in butter...)?

Are there any good ways to prep this fish other than Old Bay/cajun seasoning?