Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Anybody watching Extant? It's moderately interesting, but I never hear any talk about it. It's got Halle Berry in it, and is actually pretty decent science fiction. The CGI is brilliant, the writing and dialogue isn't amazing, nor is it bad. It's a bit above mediocre. Halle Berry, her roboticist husband, and their robotic son are a unique triage of actors, and each excel at their roles. However, all other supporting actors, with exception to the Asian CEO who, albeit his role resembling that of every generic old Asian in power (see Helix, Caprica, etc), perfectly fits the visage of an old Kazuo Hirai or Satoru Iwata (Sony and Nintendo CEOs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No but why's it called Extant?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Waiting to see if it gets a second season or actually gets interesting. Aliens make human woman pregnant isn't something new.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

No but why's it called Extant?

Found the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648206 Needs to be added to the TVIV index.

Extant means still in existance or surviving. There's some kind of alien vibe going on, as the main character finds herself pregnant after a series of hallucinations while on board a space station for about a year. There's also hints of a potential robotic revolution from the pilot. So I'm guessing the future of humanity may be in danger?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PriorMarcus posted:

I thought it was trucking along nicely to be honest, but whatever.

Yeah same. At the time, all the creepy stuff was like 20 posts behind and we were talking about bending techniques and my dumb fantheories about Avatar lifespans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know what extant means I just assumed they picked it because it sounds science fiction-y and not because of anything germane to the show.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I used to watch House but stopped after season 4 or something, though I think I remember reading about an episode that takes place in an alternative reality where House is a mathematician or something? Does this episode exist or was it the summary for some fan fiction?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

I used to watch House but stopped after season 4 or something, though I think I remember reading about an episode that takes place in an alternative reality where House is a mathematician or something? Does this episode exist or was it the summary for some fan fiction?

There's at least 2 episodes that take place in dream sequences or something similar so it might be one of them. One is under the influence of House being shot, the other is under House half dying while taking meds to remember what happened to Wilson's girlfriend. If there is one like what you describe its in the later seasons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

justcola posted:

I watched the whole series and don't remember anything like this off the top of my head. But there was a lot of episodes so maybe it just slipped my mind.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's at least 2 episodes that take place in dream sequences or something similar so it might be one of them. One is under the influence of House being shot, the other is under House half dying while taking meds to remember what happened to Wilson's girlfriend. If there is one like what you describe its in the later seasons.

Definitely more than two. Remember the House episode where Cuddy kisses and sucks on the severely scarred piece of muscle on House's bad leg? Why? I don't know why, but that was all dream sequence. Thank god that was all a dream sequence.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

The pony ban is never going away. And it's not just a TVIV thing. Though even if it was it would still never be going away.

It was fair game in the general kids show thread, but tbh there's really nothing to say about it at this point.

Of course it does irritate the poo poo out of you so I'm sure I could find something. :getin:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've asked it before, and I'm asking it again:

When does Continuum get good? I'm trying it again tonight, and the last episode was some boring political whodunnit murder with Helo from BSG, and this next episode is some dumb VR poo poo that's giving me flashbacks to the First Person Shooter episode of X-Files.

Does the show get better at the start of season 2, or what? There's only two episodes left in this season, and I feel like I'm watching Castle except with the comedy dialed down about 50% and the sci-fi dialed up about 25%. A show about time travel should have the sci-fi dialed up way more than 25%.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season 2 is a lot better, yeah.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It doesn't get better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of us always lies and one of us only tells the truth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 2 has Alec start to get more involved in stories and introduces a third time travel faction with their own poo poo going on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you don't like it by now then you won't like Season 2.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Season 2 has Alec start to get more involved in stories and introduces a third time travel faction with their own poo poo going on.

That does sound better. I guess I figured a show based on time travel would have a lot more time travel shenanigans. Good to hear that's supposedly coming?

Mu Zeta posted:

If you don't like it by now then you won't like Season 2.

I don't hate it now, it's just kinda dull and like a second-rate Castle.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

OldSenileGuy posted:

That does sound better. I guess I figured a show based on time travel would have a lot more time travel shenanigans. Good to hear that's supposedly coming?

I don't hate it now, it's just kinda dull and like a second-rate Castle.

Yeah, but it comes in the most convoluted, cliche way. Honestly, it doesn't get better, but it does get more sci-fi I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Season 2 does up the time travel shenanigans. Season 3 goes even farther with an episode set fully in the future as well as directly answering the question as to whether or not they can change the future.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I usually don't advocate skipping episodes of serialized shows but I'm really tempted now.

now they're planning on using her HUD to control her this episode is terrible

i thought it was bad last episode when they used recorded cell signals to recreate everything that happened in that apartment but i rolled with it

this is worse

oh god now the kid is putting on a vr helmet from the 90's and it looks like tempest how is this so baaaaaaaad

"SOMEONE IS HIDING CODE WITHIN THE CODE"

HAXXXXING

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, maybe just skip to the season finale, which changes up some stuff for season 2.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, maybe just skip to the season finale, which changes up some stuff for season 2.

There's only one more episode between where I am and the finale. And there's no way I'm turning this episode off - I need to see how terrible it gets.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not sure why you think it's terrible, Have you ever seen a scifi/syfy show before?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I like Continuum, but it definitely has that mid 90s, syndicated, late-night feel to it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slamhound posted:

I like Continuum, but it definitely has that mid 90s, syndicated, late-night feel to it.

It's the She Spies of Canadian Scifi?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not sure why you think it's terrible, Have you ever seen a scifi/syfy show before?

Orphan Black is like Breaking Bad compared to this.

EDIT: How was that show Charlie Jade? Better or worse than Continuum?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Charlie Jade is a fun show that plays with some weird concepts. It's not for everyone.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This episode of Continuum, while much better, is still pretty funny because our heroes are being held hostage by a bunch of angsty 16 year olds with guns

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Ughhh, c'mon, who else is watching Masters of Sex? This show is so drat good, particularly this latest episode

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

It's the She Spies of Canadian Scifi?
More like Time Trax Toronto.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Probably about the same level. While Continuum is late-night 90s TV, Charlie Jade is 80s B-movie rotation.

I don't think these descriptions are actually helpful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

This episode of Continuum, while much better, is still pretty funny because our heroes are being held hostage by a bunch of angsty 16 year olds with guns

Speaking of Alec's brother Julian, there's a hilarious moment in season 2 where they put him in old man makeup and it just looks absolutely terrible.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Orphan Black is like Breaking Bad

I agree with OSG.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Her suit just made her turn invisible even though it doesn't cover her head :confused:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Her suit just made her turn invisible even though it doesn't cover her head :confused:

Don't ever watch Star Trek.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Her suit is also bulletproof, and has the ability to be zipped up to her neck, but is unzipped down to her cleavage in the middle of a hostage situation where several people have guns pointed at her

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Her suit is also bulletproof, and has the ability to be zipped up to her neck, but is unzipped down to her cleavage in the middle of a hostage situation

Cleavage is what makes all the enemies miss, also protocol.

Even us in the Continuum thread are all like "how did a show as faulty as the first season get so good by season three".

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also her master plan involved covering up her shot and dying partner with sacks of grain and corn and poo poo

GreenNight posted:

Even us in the Continuum thread are all like "how did a show as faulty as the first season get so good by season three".

I'M TRUSTING YOU PEOPLE

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Her suit is also bulletproof, and has the ability to be zipped up to her neck, but is unzipped down to her cleavage in the middle of a hostage situation where several people have guns pointed at her

Bad guys don't aim at cleavage, obviously,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don't over excite yourself where it's going to be a disappointment no matter what. That's what happened to me when I watched The Wire.

• Locked thread