Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ShaneB posted:

You put gas in a Volt.

WELP, TODAY I LEARNED :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So I'll be in Ireland in march and want to rent a motorcycle and had a few questions.

Will my standard American license work fine or would I have to get an International one?

Are there any rental places an Irish goon can recommend? Say http://www.motorental.ie/ ?

I'll be in Dublin for my birthday so I wanted to just go exploring the countryside most of the day and return in later in the afternoon.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm fairly sure you need an international license, but they're a joke to get and cost like $15

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What's the deal on front forks? How squishy should they be? Is there a rule of thumb?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SquadronROE posted:

What's the deal on front forks? How squishy should they be? Is there a rule of thumb?

If you can get the right sag out of them then you're alright on the fork springs - GENERALLY SPEAKING (!). What kind of bike and what is your weight with gear on?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

If you can get the right sag out of them then you're alright on the fork springs - GENERALLY SPEAKING (!). What kind of bike and what is your weight with gear on?

Honda cm400, and I am around 175 with gear on.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
Noob question... I was replacing my forward controls with mid controls and left the left foot rest bolts loose for a week or so, causing oil to leak out and pool up under the bike. I tightened the bolts and the leaking stopped, but a lot of oil escaped. I'm thinking I need to replace what was lost, but I'm not sure what exactly was leaking out or where I would add it in. Can anyone get me started on my Google quest? It's a Harley Sportster.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

Honda cm400, and I am around 175 with gear on.

Unless you have personally rebuilt the forks recently, it is almost a surety that your fork oil has long since worn out, leaked out, or both

E:

SomethingLiz posted:

Noob question... I was replacing my forward controls with mid controls and left the left foot rest bolts loose for a week or so, causing oil to leak out and pool up under the bike. I tightened the bolts and the leaking stopped, but a lot of oil escaped. I'm thinking I need to replace what was lost, but I'm not sure what exactly was leaking out or where I would add it in. Can anyone get me started on my Google quest? It's a Harley Sportster.

:stare:

Do you have your owner's manual?

Are the footrest bolts seriously an oil boundary? Are you sure that's what those bolts are? Are you sure that's where the leak was coming from?

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 29, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Do you know how to check your oil level with the dipstick? If so, that should tell you all you need to know about the oil. If not, well, uh, figure that one out before poking around further.

I also want to see how these footpegs are connected to the oil pan though.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
I'm sure they are the footrest bolts because the footrest is back on them now. I am also unsure why oil would leak out of them, which is why I left them loose for so long. I have the manual but it doesn't mention this in the pedal section, and I'm not sure what kind of oil this is to look it up anywhere else.

Maybe it's something other than oil? It's clear and oily. I'll check the oil level, but I was thinking it wasn't coming from the oil pan either because that doesn't make sense as you said.

SomethingLiz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 29, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well if it's oil it's just going to be engine oil. There isn't anything else that would be leaking out of the bottom of an air-cooled engine. Gasoline, I guess, if your engine was well and truly hosed up.

Did you loosen any bolts that it turned out you didn't need to in order to take the pegs off? Maybe some next to the pegs that hold the engine side covers on?

Or hell, maybe the pegs do go right into the side cover bolts on these bikes. Beats me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Assuming that it engine oil, the correct replacement is 20W50 motorcycle oil. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06080-V-Twin-4-Stroke-Motorcycle/dp/B0068C4KPK

But engine oil should not come out from your footpegs, which strongly suggests the leak is coming from somewhere else. I would recommend you post pics, before and after cleaning any oil and/or other grime from the affected area.

E: also post which year Sportster to narrow down the engine

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Posting instead of editing: does this sound familiar?

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=114269

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The footpegs bolt into the primary cover because Harley, so it's probably primary/transmission oil leaking out of it.

ETA: If they aren't leaking once the bolts are back in you're probably fine, you could do a transmission/primary oil change to be safe though and keep an eye on it.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 29, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

The footpegs bolt into the primary cover because Harley, so it's probably primary/transmission oil leaking out of it.

Seems to be the case:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=949876

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

SomethingLiz posted:

The left peg mounts bolt to the frame as one would expect, but the mid is in the vicinity of both the primary cover and the oil drain bolt. Possible you loosened up more than was necessary for this task. One has nothing to do with the other, and you may have come across a pre-existing condition by virtue of getting a close up view of this area. Tighten down the primary cover, inspection cover, and drain bolt. If you have leaks from any of these areas, it's possible a gasket is mangled or missing.

The pegs do not bolt into the cover. Take it from someone who was just installing this mount less than 24 hours ago.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ahh, I just read a couple of articles on changing the fork oil. Seems very straightforward.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Snowdens Secret posted:

E: also post which year Sportster to narrow down the engine

This.

Rubbermount and EFI era (04-present) aren't configured this way.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Depends on what year Sportster you have.
Here's an '03

Here's an '08.

I forget what year they switched, but I'm pretty sure it was with the switch to rubber mounts in 04.

Edit: So yeah, let us know the year.

Edit 2: Whoops, that first one's for forward controls. Here's mids:

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
It's an '02. The link Snowdens Secret posted seems to describe what's happening exactly. I'll look into changing the primary/transmission oil and checking for other leaks down there. Thanks a lot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harley have some gorgeous parts illustrations I must say. Very impressive compared to the grainy bullshit you get with most brands (cars included).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Harley have some gorgeous parts illustrations I must say.

The better to sell you every chrome nut and rod individually

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Harley have some gorgeous parts illustrations I must say. Very impressive compared to the grainy bullshit you get with most brands (cars included).

Too bad that's not the case for the photos:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
SEE, THEY ARE CAPABLE OF CHANGE.

Part 13 in the last diagram is a mammoth hunk of steel that apparently doubles as a case guard. At least it did when I played the role of Dan Layeur in Dis Donc, Ou Est La Honky Tonk a few summers ago.

That previous design choice is...odd, but apparently goes all the way back to '57.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

That previous design choice is...odd, but apparently goes all the way back to '57.

Same could be said of their riders :v:

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY

Astonishing Wang posted:

Would you really call this a vanishingly rare bike? I know it's special in that it's in amazing shape and has super low miles, but there seem to be a lot of them out there. I'm not going to NOT ride it because it's in good shape, though I do feel slightly guilty every time the odometer kicks over another zero.

I'm not planning to rebuild it until it really needs it, and it's running well now that it has oil in it :doh: I feel like I've had my one oops moment with this bike, and it seems to have forgiven me for it. The key now will be keeping on top of regular maintenance.

Rare due to condition, but that just gives you the opportunity to have a unique experience. Anyone with an older beat up bike invariably has to wonder how it rode before the odo rolled over. Don't take this as some "soul and spirit of the machine" bs, but you can always find a modern bike that will ride much the same as the current model year, enjoy the quirks of a 73 and ride the poo poo out of it. Better than sitting it in a garage for another 30 years.

I just meant if you're going to strip it down to learn mc mechanics practice on another bike first, rather than end up with 8 boxes of barely ridden parts.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

At least it did when I played the role of Dan Layeur in Dis Donc, Ou Est La Honky Tonk a few summers ago.

So when will you post about "the event" oh great and mighty Marv?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

So when will you post about "the event" oh great and mighty Marv?

I believe I did way back when, so another post would take milking to an entirely new level.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

My ninja 250 has been slowly leaking coolant and it started to overheat the other day and I finally got a chance to really check it out. It looks like its leaking from the rubber hose attached to the water pump. You can see a bit of green coolant starting to drip out in the picture. The leak definitely gets worse when the engine is warm and the coolant will start to spill out pretty quick. The coolant level in the overflow tank never changes so I have to keep adding to the radiator it self.

Can I just replace the water pump with one off ebay or could this be a problem with radiator? This is my first bike so I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting something like this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like the o-ring around the end of the steel pipe on the left is leaking. The steel pipe just slips into a smooth alloy tunnel on the pump; the o-ring is the only thing stopping it leaking. It could also be the pump though, I guess? It doesn't look like it. O-rings are cheaper than water pumps, I'd try that first. Be sure to thoroughly sand both the hole in the pump and the pipe so as to avoid shredding the o-ring, then coat it in a light layer of engine oil or rubber grease so it slides in smoothly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Harley have some gorgeous parts illustrations I must say.

Deeters posted:

Too bad that's not the case for the photos:

Beautiful, classic technical illustrations straight out of a 1950s drafting textbook, probably even hand-drawn by a grizzled old pipe-smoking dude with a Rapidograph on drafting mylar? Of course.

Grainy, pixelated photograph because no one in the documentation department could figure out that fuckin' digital camera, why do we need this bullshit anyway film worked just fine back in my day? Of course.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

My front brake seems to have gotten somewhat squishier and less powerful than it was when I first got the bike. I assume this means that I need to bleed the brake line. This being my first motorcycle with hydraulic brakes, I've never done this before, but it seems straightforward enough. Any specific recommendations or suggestions? Also, would it be a decent idea to install speed bleeders while I'm at it? :20bux: to apparently greatly simplify the job sounds smart to me.

What colour is your fluid?

Edit: I say that because it might not be bubbles, just old fluid. Ehhh but bleeding it would flush it with new fluid so why the hell did i even ask the question i'm an idiot

karms fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 29, 2014

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

I searched and didn't find anything for my extremely basic and dumb question. I have one of these:

And it bugs the hell out of me that transmission case, cylinder head, and all the fiddly stuff under the fairings, visible or not, aren't clean. Is there a particular way to get all that clean that doesn't involve a toothbrush and simple green?

Also, how do you keep your black parts shiny? I'd use armor all but don't want to make the parts I hold on to slippery.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I just clean mine with a rag and water. There's really no way to 'keep' bits on a vehicle shiny/clean, they only stay that way if you constantly wash it.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
All that stuff being dirty on my bike when the rest of it was clean used to bother me until I tried cleaning it a few times. Now I just focus on the areas I can reach.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Buy a naked bike.

And never wash it.

Alternatively, top cleaning tip - buy a cheap battery-operated electric toothbrush and a bunch of spare heads, they're dirt cheap and fantastic at cleaning the bits you can't reach with a minimum of fuss.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

SomethingLiz posted:

It's an '02. The link Snowdens Secret posted seems to describe what's happening exactly. I'll look into changing the primary/transmission oil and checking for other leaks down there. Thanks a lot.

Just to be sure, the primary takes an other type of oil than the engine. Also, it doesn't take that much, just enough to have the bottom of the clutch pack touch the oil. It should be easy enough to find directions on changing it for your bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah you'll probably want to put H-D Formula+ in it.

I like how the primary fluid works on the Uly. On the side stand, it's full when the fluid overflows the clutch access hole. No fuss, a little muss.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah you'll probably want to put H-D Formula+ in it.

I like how the primary fluid works on the Uly. On the side stand, it's full when the fluid overflows the clutch access hole. No fuss, a little muss.

Much like a car gearbox. I'm surprised they designed it based on the bike being on the side stand, though. Surely that same engine package would've come in a few different bikes with different lean angles when on the stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Slavvy posted:

Much like a car gearbox. I'm surprised they designed it based on the bike being on the side stand, though. Surely that same engine package would've come in a few different bikes with different lean angles when on the stand?

It just happens to work well on the Ulysses. The spec in the manual calls for the bike to be upright, and has the fluid level coming up to the very bottom of the big whatever in the thinger there.