Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Bring back PS1 max-jumpjets, SOE. God knows you will since "bring back PS1 design feature" is all they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You can have your jump jets if our NC maxes get the vanguard shield back that we had in PS1.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Fans posted:

I've taken to using the Carv-S with Extended Mags and treating reloading as something other factions have to do. It's working surprisingly well, especially with a bandolier of Concussion or AV Grenades to gently caress over any MAX's who get clever.

Still not quite sure how the MCG works. Sometimes it murders a room with effortless ease and sometimes it feels like it's spaffing out paper balls instead of bullets.

What attachment are you using for the Chaingun? I use the Bert and it's amazing. Goes through ammo fast but go make friends with an engineer and use ammo belt for your suit slot.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

ProfessorCurly posted:

Ok I'm curious, what was the deal with ZOE? Did it make you skate around on the ground like Zone of the Enders? And why is it bad now?

Everyone has actually mis-remembered what it did for some reason, and the other quotes kind of have some hyperbole.

It made all max move speed faster, walk speed wasn't faster than infantry sprint, but you could run down a sprinting infantry. It made weapons more powerful (no change on RoF), but only slightly on bullet weapons, and slightly more on comets/others (also gave everything larger tracers). You took ~30% extra damage, but was reduced from additional ranks. Could be toggled on and off at will, and basically broke netcode ADAD movement compensation (this was before they made doing this have acceleration time). It was very powerful because people couldn't hit it, and could move faster than infantry, the rest of the buff was just fluff.

Nowadays it is a limited time toggle you can't turn off. The move speed bonus is significantly less, you cannot out sprint infantry and movement in all non forward directions is only slightly better than normal. You still take extra damage and glow purple. The damage buff on weapon output is both lessened and clamped by weapon range (on a typical bullet weapon you might save 1 bullet inside of 10 meters). It is functionally useless except as a taunt.

Like many other features they had a bad design, they tried to half fix it, then said gently caress it and left it as is.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What attachment are you using for the Chaingun? I use the Bert and it's amazing. Goes through ammo fast but go make friends with an engineer and use ammo belt for your suit slot.

Never short an Engineer thankfully due to the Engy Bro being strong on Miller so I can take my Grenade Bandolier for some fun spoiling during the bigger fights.

I bounce between the BRRT and the Extended Mags depending on how busy the hex is. I've had a lot of fun tossing in two conc nades then spinning up an Extended Mag Chaingun and just murdering everyone in the world during 48+ fights or biogrinds. Sometimes though I put the crosshair over someone and it just doesn't seem to want to kill them. Other times it annihilates them in a hail of bullets and rips up everyone behind them too. I guess I need to get closer, or soften up a room with a few AV Grenades first.

o muerte posted:

I really, really, really like the CARV-S. Grip/Comp/SPA and 2x and treat it like a more accurate CARV. It's my best performing HA weapon so far with something like 75 kills per hour.

I don't know what it is about the S variant that clicks for me so much better than the CARV did, but man does it ever. I don't even think I want the special autism-plated LMG, the CARV-S is fantastic so far.

I'll likely go back to the Grip and give it a try when the novelty of a 200 bullet magazine runs out! I really do like it, I don't feel the lower DPS at all it seems to murder things just fine. Maybe it's the Soft Point and easier headshots. Or maybe the Carv is also a murder machine and they're both pretty darn good. Probably the latter.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police
I've been dicking around on the test server for a few days now, and I have discovered the joy that is a max-rank grenade bandoleer, sticky grenades, and a room packed full of targets. :allears:

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Someone on reddit posted it and figured in case anyone doesn't check there. The euro boxed copy of PS2 (1000sc,a 7 day boost and a gold first gen SMG for each faction) can be bought directly for $7

http://www.gamesrocket.com/download/Planetside-2-Starter-Kit.html

I know some people here got tartan or others to get them for them before. I ordered and got mine in like 3 minutes, code picture in an email, activated and worked fine. Y'know so now I have more shiny poo poo to grind for directives.

edit:
holy crap that looks like the start of a 3 shep moon motif
\/\/

Chance fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 29, 2014

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Chance posted:

Someone on reddit posted it and figured in case anyone doesn't check there. The euro boxed copy of PS2 (1000sc,a 7 day boost and a gold first gen SMG for each faction) can be bought directly for $7

http://www.gamesrocket.com/download/Planetside-2-Starter-Kit.html

I know some people here got tartan or others to get them for them before. I ordered and got mine in like 3 minutes, code picture in an email, activated and worked fine. Y'know so now I have more shiny poo poo to grind for directives.

Think I'll try that out, the description is mighty terrible though.

-24 Carat Power Pack including unique golden machine guns for every one of the 3 empires:
-Vanu Sovereignty Eridani SX5-G (great for melee fights)
-New Conglomerate AF-4 Cyclone-G (deals more damage)
-Terran Republic SMG-46 Armistice-G
-Gain 50 % more experience for 7 days
-Give an experience booster to a friend, letting him gain 50 % more experience points for 3 days
-1000 SevenCash

On another note, I might have found a picture of Iamcommandersheppard

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I hate tattoo artists with no morals, when i asked to get img-happysun tattooed on either rear end cheek my artist refused. rear end cheeks can be hidden THAT CAN NEVER BE UNSEEN.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arghy posted:

I hate tattoo artists with no morals, when i asked to get img-happysun tattooed on either rear end cheek my artist refused. rear end cheeks can be hidden THAT CAN NEVER BE UNSEEN.

unless he wears a shirt

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

West007 posted:

-24 Carat Power Pack including unique golden machine guns for every one of the 3 empires:
-Give an experience booster to a friend, letting him gain 50 % more experience points for 3 days
-1000 SevenCash

this should be illegal. is it legal for a plastic surgeon to give you a cleft palate if you request it??

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Horizontal Tree posted:

ZOE max walk speed was faster than infantry run speed.

Even this doesn't fully explain how poorly balanced it was.

ZOE max strafe speed was faster than infantry sprint. If a ZOE max felt like it, they could crabwalk down an enemy running at full tilt and shoot them in the side.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

West007 posted:

-1000 SevenCash

Not a single Mass Effect game was even very good, what the gently caress.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

West007 posted:

-1000 SevenCash

I'd like to imagine the "Matthew" was actually part of "Mattherson" that was cut off.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mortimer posted:

unless he wears a shirt

He lives in Hawaii, he probably doesn't even have to wear a shirt to work so he wouldn't understand

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

He lives in Hawaii, he probably doesn't even have to wear a shirt to work so he wouldn't understand

No sandals no grass skirt no service

mbt fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 29, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

All you need to know about old ZOE is that its backpedal speed was faster than infantry forwarding sprinting speed. Its existence created latent MAX crashes at every base VS was present at.

Imagine fighting 10 MAXes in each building. Now imagine that they're faster than you and you can't run from them.

Edit: Europack is available for $7 USD for gold SMGs http://www.gamesrocket.com/download/Planetside-2-Starter-Kit.html

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 29, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And they also did more damage then usual. Instagibbing from NC scatter maxes? Try VS blusehift maxes from 40 meters out, who could then close that 40 meter gap in a few seconds.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Someone described VS MAXs at the time as velociraptors. I suppose that was accurate.

ZOE was great. I auraxiumed both my blueshifts and both my nebulaes because of it.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

o muerte posted:

So I spent some time with the new pistols on PTS. The AMP and Spiker are hot garbage, the mini-mauler though :catstare: - that poo poo's going to be really annoying to fight against.
The AMP is actually pretty good, it just seems bad because the other TR pistols are amazing (The default Repeater is like, holy poo poo good); The bloom is a bit much but it's designed for really close range use, as a secondary weapon goes you could do a lot worse than "kinda poo poo SMG"; I mean, you could have the Spiker :saddowns:

Tempest_56 posted:

Plus the problem was more that the enhanced speed and ADAD kind of broke hit detection. You'd frequently fire rockets straight through the bastards because the server just plain couldn't figure out where the gently caress the MAX actually was.
ACTUALLY, you can still completely break MAX hit detection for rockets by jumping sideways. I dunno why the collision detection bugs terrible with the lower-velocity projectiles (Rockets especially), but seriously, try it; Rocket coming at you, jump sideways. I've watched them phase through my skull!

Everyone posted:

ZOE MAX
ZOE made the Cosmos (the high-damage MAX guns) a one-shot kill on headshots within 10 meters, and it boosted the accuracy so much if you were still and crouching you could basically snipe and 2-shot (Well, 4-shot, two shots per arm) infantry out to render range.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I just bought blockade armor and a front bulldog for my sunderer. Any opinions on whether to take racer or rival chassis?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vargs posted:

I just bought blockade armor and a front bulldog for my sunderer. Any opinions on whether to take racer or rival chassis?

Racer I believe is the choice to make here, but I could be wrong.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Desideratus posted:

The AMP is actually pretty good, it just seems bad because the other TR pistols are amazing (The default Repeater is like, holy poo poo good); The bloom is a bit much but it's designed for really close range use, as a secondary weapon goes you could do a lot worse than "kinda poo poo SMG"; I mean, you could have the Spiker :saddowns:

ACTUALLY, you can still completely break MAX hit detection for rockets by jumping sideways. I dunno why the collision detection bugs terrible with the lower-velocity projectiles (Rockets especially), but seriously, try it; Rocket coming at you, jump sideways. I've watched them phase through my skull!

ZOE made the Cosmos (the high-damage MAX guns) a one-shot kill on headshots within 10 meters, and it boosted the accuracy so much if you were still and crouching you could basically snipe and 2-shot (Well, 4-shot, two shots per arm) infantry out to render range.

I once seen ZOE kill a man just to see how it would feel.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The best thing about ZOE max was just walking into a room filled with guys pointing their guns at your direction and just mowing them all down. Felt like I was using the old pre-nerf hacksaws

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Arghy posted:

I once seen ZOE kill a man just to see how it would feel.

Yeah, then we saw it happen a few thousand more times.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Vargs posted:

Depends on a continent, its terrain, and the purpose of the sunderer at any given moment. If it's a sunderer that's needed to deploy asap - obviously racer, regardless of terrain.
Rival is useful for places like amerish, where there's some mountain climbing sometimes.

9 times out of 10 you want racer, because there aren't that many spots where rival is really needed.

Strotski fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 29, 2014

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

vigorous sodomy posted:

Saw a ZOE max a few days ago.

No joke. I guess that makes them no longer extinct in the wild?

It's such easy XP as an Engineer to repair any idiot that uses ZOE since they get shot up so quickly but I never get a chance to pull out my gun and shoot anything because they normally need repairs again even before my tool finishes cool down. The only time I ever run ZOE is when I'm using my Comets or Bursters for AA work.

Klowns fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 29, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I think I was the only VS that didn't like playing with ZOE maxes when they were OP, made a shitload being an engineer for them though.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Give VS maxes magburn, they hover off the floor then slide forward for a quick burst of speed--even better give them 3 seconds of flight time in any direction and give them gundam movement jets for the animation. You'd basically make them weightless for 3 seconds then give them movement so VS maxes could fly backwards, jump 30ft into the air and just be the most DBZ looking thing imaginable. You'd of course need to give them a yellow/purple energy trail and add a new voice pack function of them screaming.

Just so you all realize ZOE only sprinted faster then a sprinting infantry, its other movements where on par, same side/backwards speed. I assumed everyone was joking when they were describing all that stuff but i realize some of you may have been serious.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The big thing I remember about ZOE Maxes was literally charging across open terrain into a defended position full of heavies and vanguards and just ripping it apart. No planning, no engineers defending you, just a group of ZOE maxes. If there was a problem, more ZOE maxes solved it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Couldn't you glitch it out by sprinting and then toggling it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

If there was a problem, more ZOE maxes solved it.

Max crash the point while my DJ revolves it

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Max crash the point while my DJ blueshifts resolve it

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Desideratus posted:

I don't know, you can't drop a guy from ~10m while ADSing before the CoF becomes so inaccurate that you're missing almost every shot. The recovery is bad enough that bursting doesn't work in your favor either, so it's either "ADS and pray" or stick it in their chest and pray while hipfiring. As a panic finisher I'm sure it's fine, but as a primary for a stalker infil it doesn't hold a candle to the other TR options (or the beamer) and isn't even in the same league as the mag scatter. It would actually be better if it had a slower RoF (by ~100,) better recovery and *maybe* slightly less bloom per shot.

I agree that the spiker is hot dogshit and should be split into two guns, one charge and one burst (preferably a clone of the repeater like the Terminus is a clone of the T1 Cycler.)

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting around to taking a look at this. Is there a certain faction with the best goon presence these days?

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

The control input changes they've made on the test server make this feel like an actual game. If you play at less than a consistent 60 fps, go check it out. The days of turning graphics options down in order to have more responsive aiming are totally over. I was really floored at how much better it is, and kind of want to turn my settings up, for a change.

You'll still want to turn them down just to be able to see movement more easily though. Baby steps, I guess.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

Finally getting around to taking a look at this. Is there a certain faction with the best goon presence these days?

VS and NC, both on Emerald

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bakanogami posted:

Like Mortimer said, NC and Vanu on the Emerald server. Join GOON for awesome NC :911: action with great guns and SCREEEEEE TV guided missles, or join GOKU to bitch about your Vanu guns.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

VS have some pretty great guns and are the best at winning. Join us, Bakanogami. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Lancer or Phoenix is a really, really hard choice to make.

Why not choose both :D

• Locked thread