Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nevets posted:

Does anyone remember why that was added in the first place? I could see if it prevented dwarves from harvesting food it might have been useful before burrows were implemented, to keep dwarves from going to outdoor farms during sieges. Turning off all food hauling doesn't seem to have any purpose, as far as I can see.

Panic button, probably. NO NONE OF YOU IDIOTS CAN GO OUTSIDE FOOD IS NOW BANNED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Shoot, with Bronzestabbed nearly over, I think I should just start a DF12 succession instead of the DF14 one I was planning, since '14 doesn't seem to be ready for fortress mode for at least a few months.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Danny Glands posted:

Shoot, with Bronzestabbed nearly over, I think I should just start a DF12 succession instead of the DF14 one I was planning, since '14 doesn't seem to be ready for fortress mode for at least a few months.

It's pretty close to being fully playable. Look what Toady did in just one week. Wait 2 more, and DF2014 should be perfectly fine to LP.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Danny Glands posted:

Coward.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I would seriously just wait a couple weeks and do 2014 anyways. People will give more of a poo poo if it's using the new version instead of rehashing the same stuff that came out years ago.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Install the latest version overtop of 2012 and do a Glitch Fortress LP :unsmigghh:

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
That's what happened when 2012 first came out: an LP featuring a series of short fortresses, switching whenever a fort-killing glitch happened or the next save-invalidating update happened.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Thanks for this!

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Is it possible to get goblin migrants? Apparently my civilization's entire nobility are goblins. Including the king and queen.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thranguy posted:

That's what happened when 2012 first came out: an LP featuring a series of short fortresses, switching whenever a fort-killing glitch happened or the next save-invalidating update happened.

Yeah, I want to do a masterwork LP but I'm going to wait a few months.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Fine, fine. I'll wait for two versions and start a 14 fort.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, I want to do a masterwork LP but I'm going to wait a few months.

I totally want to see a Masterwork LP because I've never understood Masterwork at all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does masterwork have random forest fires or something? Two edges of my map just randomly burst into flame. Despite sweeping across the entire map the only casualties were some wild mountain goats and my wood pile. It was sort of amusing seeing the formerly verdant woodland erupt into a holocaust of flame right as the Elf caravan happened to show up.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Yes it does. I think volcanoes also start random grass fires. It seems 10x more likely if your buildings are made out of wood.

Don't make your outdoor buildings out of wood.

Also do not buy a dragon from the elves and let it into your booze stockpile.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 29, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dragon_pamcake posted:

Yes it does. It seems 10x more likely if your buildings are made out of wood. I think volcanoes also start random grass fires.

Don't make your buildings out of wood.

Well my wooden plank constructions made it through just fine.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Weird. Maybe only buildings burn? I know I lost a few workshops when I was digging out my fort.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Constructed walls/floors don't burn, and are in fact perfectly suitable for containing lava, but things like workshops and supports and grates do.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

This is an open-air volcano next to a river. Why does this only happen in a world with no goblins and elves? :negative:

what a great guy
Sep 7, 2011

Daynab posted:

This is an open-air volcano next to a river. Why does this only happen in a world with no goblins and elves? :negative:

You know you can regen the same geography with a different history?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

what a great guy posted:

You know you can regen the same geography with a different history?

Oh cool! how do I do that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the advanced world generator has an option to let you reuse the previous set of parameters, including the geography seed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Daynab posted:

Oh cool! how do I do that?

And then post it here so I can use it too!

That looks like a terrific embark. Bridge over the lava to the entrance.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think the advanced world generator has an option to let you reuse the previous set of parameters, including the geography seed.

I didn't create the first one through the advanced generator so it didn't seem like it works. And I can't find anything on google on how to regen a world with new history.

Moridin920 posted:

And then post it here so I can use it too!

That looks like a terrific embark. Bridge over the lava to the entrance.

Will do if I figure out how to do it...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

According to the wiki, you can export the relevant info here, and you would presumably be able to modify any params you wish.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Importing_and_exporting_worlds

Last time I played DF I used perfectworlddf which allows you to make embarks like that with much greater frequency by upping the number of volcanoes to a huge amount.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Thought I picked a great place to embark, but it turns out everyone is dead. No migrants, no outpost liason. Just a lonely dwarven caravan that showed up. Will I ever get migrants?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
So I'm trying out a reclaim of a game-generated fortress and only just noticed 2+ years into it that the previous dwarves constructed their fortress mostly out of lignite blocks. So I'm screwed if a fire-breathing beast shows up, right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trundel posted:

So I'm trying out a reclaim of a game-generated fortress and only just noticed 2+ years into it that the previous dwarves constructed their fortress mostly out of lignite blocks. So I'm screwed if a fire-breathing beast shows up, right?

Nope, constructed walls can't catch fire.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Walls made out of constructed ice can contain magma. You're safe, if its constructed the material doesn't really matter outside of maybe value?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is there a way to read Bronzestabbed without having to delete pretty much all the pictures? If I don't, I have to keep scrolling sideways while reading. That's pretty much a non-starter.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Shbobdb posted:

Is there a way to read Bronzestabbed without having to delete pretty much all the pictures? If I don't, I have to keep scrolling sideways while reading. That's pretty much a non-starter.

Aren't the like all in timg tags anyway?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I was just "visited" by a Marsh Titan, and I spent like 10 minutes getting everything set up for a bloodbath. All my alerts were set, the drawbridge was ready to be raised, and I set my archers and swordsdwarves to the forefront.

The beast started Farmpocalypse by kicking a peachick into a tree, followed by hurling a water buffalo at a nanny goat. It killed several more barnyard animals before my archers decided to rush headlong at the beast rather than shoot them (I didn't realize they didn't have ammo). And I was expecting the worst.

Of course, Urist McCrossbow bashed off both of its legs and its lower torso in three successive strikes, before my swordsdwarves even got there. :shepface:

I guess being made out of salt doesn't make you a hardy titan.
Oh well, back to work...

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Danny Glands posted:

I'll be interested in an overseership.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I was just "visited" by a Marsh Titan, and I spent like 10 minutes getting everything set up for a bloodbath. All my alerts were set, the drawbridge was ready to be raised, and I set my archers and swordsdwarves to the forefront.

The beast started Farmpocalypse by kicking a peachick into a tree, followed by hurling a water buffalo at a nanny goat. It killed several more barnyard animals before my archers decided to rush headlong at the beast rather than shoot them (I didn't realize they didn't have ammo). And I was expecting the worst.

Of course, Urist McCrossbow bashed off both of its legs and its lower torso in three successive strikes, before my swordsdwarves even got there. :shepface:

I guess being made out of salt doesn't make you a hardy titan.
Oh well, back to work...

I've had some very interesting fights with Forgotten beasts made out of weird stuff. I've had recruits die to a horrible monster in seconds before a reasonably experienced dwarf killed it in one hit. Monster was made out of sand/water/blood/other things that are not good to make your monster out of.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tunicate posted:

Nope, constructed walls can't catch fire.

Yet....

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It used to be a thing many versions ago where constructions didnt catch fire, but the materials they were made of did. So you had eternally burning pillars or walls throwing out smoke from the !!fungiwood logs!!.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This happened in the barracks where military dwarfs are training.

I think they are trying to spar with their dogs. :3:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SynthOrange posted:

It used to be a thing many versions ago where constructions didnt catch fire, but the materials they were made of did. So you had eternally burning pillars or walls throwing out smoke from the !!fungiwood logs!!.

This says some worrying things about the code.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'd like to see an Adventure Mode succession LP. Generate a decent small world, then have a series of people play (reasonably vanilla) adventurers in that world, while others dig into the legends and write up entertaining stories about the characters the main char at the time is encountering.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Maugrim posted:

I'd like to see an Adventure Mode succession LP. Generate a decent small world, then have a series of people play (reasonably vanilla) adventurers in that world, while others dig into the legends and write up entertaining stories about the characters the main char at the time is encountering.

Problem with adventurerer mode is that it can end way too abruptly. While fortress mode gives at least a bit of leeway when it comes to game overs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
That's why a series of adventurers would be ideal. Sudden, unexpected deaths to a goblin or a peasant or a river are part of Adventure mode and we can learn lots of historical facts about that goblin and that peasant and that river, and revisit them on subsequent adventurers.