Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Shanakin posted:

Is there a way to turn of signatures? They're fine enough on a PC, but the limited screen real estate on even these large modern phones makes some of the new signatures a little annoying. I vaguely recall there being a method to do so but I can't find it for the life of me.

Settings->posts->hide signatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Hi, please leave the bookmarks button in the new navigation drawer. Having a navigation option next to the list of thread actions is confusing to any non-graybeard. Navigation belongs in the navigation drawer. When reading a bookmarked thread, ie the most likely place someone would want to quickly and often view the list of bookmarks, the list is already one tap away by hitting back.

Here's some nitpicks for the navigation drawer though:
- The four icons along the top should probably be turned into their own navigation items (with text).
- Tapping the awful icon at the upper left doesn't consistently bring up the nav menu. Eg if youre in the inbox then tapping it goes back, and if you're in settings then tapping it does nothing. The menu should be more consistently available for moving around the app.

e: That said, the nav drawer button may also be turned into a back button, when you're in a location that's not listed in the nav drawer itself (indicated by having the triple-equals sign on the nav drawer button turn into a "<"). See also: Reading an email thread in gmail, where tapping the icon brings you back to a list of email threads, then tapping it again from the list gets you the nav drawer. The SA corollary to this would be having the button behave like 'back' when viewing a thread, then having it bring up the nav drawer when viewing a list of threads/bookmarks.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 23, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Sereri posted:

Settings->posts->hide signatures

I stared at that page so many times trying to find it and apparently I'm just blind. Thanks.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Shanakin posted:

I stared at that page so many times trying to find it and apparently I'm just blind. Thanks.

I had to look twice even when following the instructions. :shobon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ That's probably my fault :shobon:

Thermopyle posted:

OK, I think Sereri gets it. You all can stop piling on the poor guy who made this free thing for free.

Yeah no kidding - it's pretty much one person in their spare time trying to make the forums experience better for everyone, juggling a bunch of legacy code and trying to keep everything working for older devices too

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Something changed and I don't like it! :supaburn:

Really though I like the new version. It feels more polished.

Actual bug report, though, I had an issue where no text was loading in a thread, just images. It was pretty weird.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I like the new version, it's easier to navigate. Great job with the app, thanks.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Could we possibly have the navigation drawer be a pull down menu from the top instead of the left side? It would work from either hand and resolves the clunkiness of having two separate "swipe right" functions.

Edit: or a tap to open for the whole top bar since I just realized pulling down is just as clunky with the android notification bar at the top of the screen.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 23, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The new structure for the breadcrumbs is a little weird, but everything feels better. I have few issues with the left hand slide gesture. Thanks for the update.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

OK, I think Sereri gets it. You all can stop piling on the poor guy who made this free thing for free.

For real. I don't even understand why the guy does it, but we are thankful for free poo poo. And nice free is the best free. It works fine for me.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I like the little bookmark icon but it's not a big deal that it's gone, one swipe left and there it is.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
It's one thing if the app's got a legitimate bug happening with your phone that's preventing it from working normally. That said...

Bitching about a free app that (on my 3-year-old phone where most apps now are bloated with loving hot trash and run like dick) is small, light, fairly full-featured and lets you post on an internet forum from the bathroom keeping your Cheeto hand free to its own devices is SUCH a Goon Move™ and exactly why we never deserve nice things.

It's a swipe and a click, you lazy neckbeards.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Yes omg don't even tell anyone if you would like a feature or whatever you entitled prick.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Other than that one guy who was pretty clearly trolling, I don't think anyone was being demanding. They were just providing feedback. I think it's pretty clear how much everyone appreciates the app.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Croisquessein posted:

I like the little bookmark icon but it's not a big deal that it's gone, one swipe left and there it is.

It's quite a big deal, because the Reply Thread option was in that dropdown menu and now I cannot find it anywhere.

E: it's been moved to left button, I see.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jedit posted:

It's quite a big deal, because the Reply Thread option was in that dropdown menu and now I cannot find it anywhere.

It (and all the other stuff in that menu) been moved to the overflow menu. Your terrible phone has a terrible menu button, therefore it's gone until you press said terrible button.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Not too keen on the new menu. :v:

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Did the new version get rid of the"go to page" feature? If not, where can I find it?

Edit: nevermind, I just figured it out. Tap the page number in the bottom middle and it will bring it up.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Did we lose the popup to display images as inline? I have images turned off when not on wi-fi, and when clicking the links today I got the brower opening automatically instead of the popup we had before.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just experienced the dreaded black box bug again. :( Galaxy Nexus on 4.3. Cache clear and force close fixed it.

Liking everything else though, app feels more responsive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nth Doctor posted:

Did we lose the popup to display images as inline? I have images turned off when not on wi-fi, and when clicking the links today I got the brower opening automatically instead of the popup we had before.

No, there's a setting somewhere that controls the default behavior of clicking on an image link.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Butt Discussin posted:

Did the new version get rid of the"go to page" feature? If not, where can I find it?

Edit: nevermind, I just figured it out. Tap the page number in the bottom middle and it will bring it up.

Was just about yo ask about this, thanks

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Jedit posted:

I thought the reply thread button was always that right top button with the three dots?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croisquessein posted:

I thought the reply thread button was always that right top button with the three dots?
The three dots is the Overflow Menu. If you have an old device with a menu button, it doesn't show up unless you press the menu button (because otherwise you'd have two buttons doing the same thing). Basically, tat's how Google say it should work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sereri posted:

It (and all the other stuff in that menu) been moved to the overflow menu. Your terrible phone has a terrible menu button, therefore it's gone until you press said terrible button.

Apologies for not adding more info to the original post.

For statistical analysis: I'm using a Galaxy S4 on stock Touchwiz, and never needed the overflow menu before this version.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Apologies for not adding more info to the original post.

For statistical analysis: I'm using a Galaxy S4 on stock Touchwiz, and never needed the overflow menu before this version.
Well it says right there in the quote that "it has been moved to the overflow menu". Which you can quite reasonably say that you dislike, but that's why it has changed on your phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tunga posted:

The three dots is the Overflow Menu. If you have an old device with a menu button, it doesn't show up unless you press the menu button (because otherwise you'd have two buttons doing the same thing). Basically, tat's how Google say it should work.

Actually, Google now says it should always show up because dedicated Menu buttons are a bad UI decision.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, Google now says it should always show up because dedicated Menu buttons Samsungs are a bad UI decision.
Fixed that to show what Google meant.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, Google now says it should always show up because dedicated Menu buttons are a bad UI decision.
Google changed showsOverflowMenuButton() in Kit Kat to always return true. An application that uses this will automatically start showing the overflow menu button on a device after it is updated to Kit Kat unless the OEM reverted this change.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Google said that the button is dead and shouldn't exist on modern devices at all. On previous OS versions the old rules still apply, for what should be obvious reasons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If I use accented chacacters like ï ë ö etc they come out all hosed up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Now from a browser: ï ë ö ü etc...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Sereri did you leave "mojibake for everyone" off the release notes? Silly goose!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Sereri did you leave "mojibake for everyone" off the release notes? Silly goose!

Weird, I could swear there was a commit from someone fixing exactly that.

I, uhh, blame that guy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

Weird, I could swear there was a commit from someone fixing exactly that.

I, uhh, blame that guy

I think it's a regression because unless I'm mistaken it was working a couple of versions before.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.
Thanks, I'm Dumb. \/ \/ \/

Autographed Book fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 29, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bacon brewed beer posted:

I'm old and don't like change! But otherwise a great app and the changes are pretty good, once I get to know them.

I can't figure out how to make a new thread though..?
It's in the OP.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Möjïbäkë. :greencube:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Got the new android update last night and now the terminus mono don't appears to be broken (no words show up). Not sure if this is the place to put that. If it's not, I'll move it. (Samsung galaxy note 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
The left side swipe-from-edge trips me up every now and then, but it also solves the top-bar-no-nav issue that comes with the update. It's also fun to see my avatar jumbo-sized in the swipe screen despite having avatars off in the standard forums settings. Nice reminder that I'm an evil wizard IRL.

I like the update. Just gotta learn to swipe less lazily.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 29, 2014