Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

Wargamers die when everything they own is painted.

Reminds me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

The other thning you could do is smaller scale skirmishes, trench raids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_raiding

Could be fun as gently caress at 28mm
I've read an article describing how to run this with a modified version of Space Hulk and a pre-built trench with black cloth covering it so the invading player can't tell what's ahead without scouting.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Got to try out War and Conquest last night.

http://warandconquest.co.uk/

For any old Warhammer Ancient Battles players (its what got me into historicals, thanks Games Workshop!) this is the game that Warhammer Ancients 2.0 should have been. The core of the game is still clearly related to the Warhammer mechanic but so much good stuf has been added and streamlined that its a fantastic fun game.

Rather than rewrite what I wrote to my regular gaming mates in an email this morning I will copy paste it over- its a game overview and mini review.

quote:

Had an introductory game of War and Conquest last night at Big Uns. Played a 1500 pts a side Greek Vs Macedonians (2000pt is a standard size game)- we had about 5 units a side, I had 3 blocks of Greek hoplites. some light cav, some peltasts and some skirmishing javelins types, opponent had 2 large blocks of Macedonian pikes, 1 companion cav, 1 peltast unit and some skirmishers (all lovely Warlord plastics, nicely painted collection)

The game is basically Warhammer Ancient Battles, but in my mind they have fixed everything about it I didnt like. I will try and explain concisely.

Army construction is pretty identical to WAB- units are bought by the man as in Warhammer, with upgrade options for weapons and special rules etc.

Stat lines are WAB/Warhammer in disguise- you have Combat (WS), Shoot (BS), Armour (save) Morale (Ld) and Kill (strength/toughness table as a stat if that makes sense)

No tables, everything is about making 7 or more o na dice- ie if your Combat stat is 3, then you need 4 or more to hit, if armour is 2, you need 5 or more to save. Morale is slightly different, will explain in a moment.

Big difference is characters, they are no longer ridiculous superheroes that can chew through units, but they still can have a significant impact on the battle, arguably much more so than in WAB. They only have 5 stats- Attacks, Life, Morale, Command Radius (usually 10 inches) and SIPs. Like Hail Caesar if the leader is in a unit, he adds his Attacks to the total number of attacks of the unit. Dead simple. Life is wounds effectively- in combat (again a bit like Hail Caesar) ,if you take casualties, opponent rolls a d6 for every casualty you have taken, on a 6 its a possibility your character has taken a hit. You then get a 3+ save (divine intervention!) if unit is at full strength and 4+ (I think) if under half strength.

Generals can be independent and roam the battle field like in Warmaster etc, but can choose to join units (although in our game the Greek general had to remain with a unit, some special rule for them), other lesser characters usually are allocated a unit (although I think there are some exceptions).

SIPs are the important new Stat for characters and where for me the game changes drastically for the better. SIPs are Strategy Intervention Points. They are used in 2 really important ways. Before that I need to explain 2 things.

1- Its IGOUGO like WAB but with an important difference- at start of game and at the end of every turn, you roll for Strategic Advantage- this is basically initiative, winning player of a d6 roll chooses who goes first or second for the coming turn. Now SIPs can be spent to influence this roll. Every SIP you spend you gain a dice for the Strategic Advantage roll. You then take the highest of these dice as your score. Once you spend a SIP in this way, its gone for the rest of the game. Last night my General had 2 SIP and my opponents had 4, just to give you an idea of the number of points involved. A scarce commodity. I blew all my SIPs on adding dice to the Strategy roll last night, and it worked out very well.

2- Morale is handled similarly to WAB, you have to roll equal to or under your Morale score to make a command check. Like WAB these are used for break tests etc, as well as to carry out complicated maneuvers when enemy are close, such as being able to march when close to an enemy, make turns etc for non drilled troops. Unlike WAb however you dont roll 2 dice, but 3 (if your unit is above half strength, back to 2 dice if under half strength) and choose the lowest 2. This means morale is a lot less swingy than in WAB. of course theres the usual modifiers, negatives for close troops, modifiers for combat results, add 1 leadership if general is in command radius, or use generals morale stat if hes attached to unit. You can use SIP points to add dice to the command test if you are in command radius of a general. IE last night I battered a Phalanx badly, and he needed a double 1 to stay put. My opponent threw in a SIP point as his general was nearby, and therefore made his command check on 4 dice, and he managed to roll 2 1's in that roll. Lucky escape, but two 1s on 4 dice is much more likely than on 2. The thing with using SIP points in this way is that if you pass the command check they regenerate - you get them back at the start of your next turn (this prevents you using them for the strategy roll however, as that happens at the end of the turn- clever!). if you fail the roll, the SIP points you spend are gone forever.

Movement is very similar to WAB - as I said earlier, you can now even march move if close to an enemy, although you need to make a morale test- fail you do nothing. Other than that pretty identical for wheels, and turns etc. The big change is charging. Charges declared at start of move phase (turn order-move, shoot, melee) , but unlike WAB all movement is simultaneous ie you dont move charging units first as in Warhammer. This might not sound much but it makes a massive difference for using skirmishers. Skirmies can now effectively screen units as you can now obviously move them out of the way so the unit behind can charge both in the same turn. Makes skirmishers really useful and much more historically accurate.

Combat is similar to WAB- roll to hit, opponent rolls to save, roll to kill. Nice and simple. Front 2 ranks fight, then in further rounds depending on weapons, ie spears/pikes, other ranks can join in. Combat resolution is similar to WAB I guess but soem differences that improve it. Add up number of casualties caused, rank bonus (max is 2 for inf, 1 for cav iirc, might be wrong), +1 if you charge (no charge bonus for combat rolls themselves), +1 for every push and shove counter you have (if you win a round of combat but your opponent doesnt break (which is much more likely with this games morale system) you gain 1 push and shove counter, you retain these until you lose or draw a round of combat). Combats now tend to be longer more grindy affairs (much more like as Dave and I found in Hail Caesar), as its less likely units will break after first melee. Oh yeah and all melee is simultaneous, which also means charging troops arent as likely to sweep units away on the charge. Obviously weapons give bonuses to all sorts of things like in WAB (Xystons on the Companions cav last night gave rerolls on kill tests).
Other new combat stuff- skirmishers cannot stand against a charge from formed troops- again this means unlike WAb skirmishers feel more realistic, they can no longer be used to block charges or hold up formed units. They do work very well for harassing and screening, just as they should.

Ive probably missed a chunk of stuff out, but having been very familiar with WAB it took me pretty much 1 turn to feel confident I got the rules, the SIPs and morale changes however really altered the feel of the game and i found that it added more friction and more control to what was going on in the battle. The combats felt better, much more prolonged engagements meaning you had to be very wary about securing flanks of engaged troops. Overall I really liked it, much preferred it to WAB 2.0 and it would mean nothing for us if we made the change from WAb at some point, as we could continue to with 15mm converted ground scale units as they are.

Also unlike WAb all the army lists are free to dload on the Scarab forum.

Really recommend it highly. Oh yeah and I won. Oh yeah also I forgot to say about deployment and objectives. Game has hidden objectives (you have objective cards, you draw at start of game which you need to complete to win or end game) which are fun. Also set up is random- 4 different set ups- we played one where board was quartered and we deployed in opposite quarters. You then roll for deployment type, which can vary from alternate placement through to units marching on the baord- we played hidden deployment ( I had to mark on map where my units were, then opponent deployed his).

All in all very good game. I now want a 28mm ancients force...

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Has anyone tried By Fire and Sword? Is it worth picking up a skirmish set + a regiment or two if you'll only have one regular opponent?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

Got to try out War and Conquest last night.

http://warandconquest.co.uk/

For any old Warhammer Ancient Battles players (its what got me into historicals, thanks Games Workshop!) this is the game that Warhammer Ancients 2.0 should have been. The core of the game is still clearly related to the Warhammer mechanic but so much good stuf has been added and streamlined that its a fantastic fun game.

Rather than rewrite what I wrote to my regular gaming mates in an email this morning I will copy paste it over- its a game overview and mini review.

Sounds cool. Too bad there's more and more ancients plastic 28mm kits, or it would be easier to resist the temptation. Victrix selling 10 box army deals is just evil, I can't imagine sitting with that much plastic in front of me and having to assemble all of it. And now they're going to release Carthaginians as well...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Sounds cool. Too bad there's more and more ancients plastic 28mm kits, or it would be easier to resist the temptation. Victrix selling 10 box army deals is just evil, I can't imagine sitting with that much plastic in front of me and having to assemble all of it. And now they're going to release Carthaginians as well...

Oh god I really would love Romans and Carthaginians.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Who else makes WWI ranges in 6/10/15mm? Battlefront obviously, and I know Pendraken do 10mm.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

No Pun Intended posted:

Who else makes WWI ranges in 6/10/15mm? Battlefront obviously, and I know Pendraken do 10mm.

Baccus is starting WWI in 6mm, and Irregular does WW1 in every scale known to man.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Foul Fowl posted:

Has anyone tried By Fire and Sword? Is it worth picking up a skirmish set + a regiment or two if you'll only have one regular opponent?

It's one of my favorite games, but TBH while the official miniatures are really good they do charge Battlefront level prices for a lot of stuff if you aren't located in or near Poland and Sweden. There are a lot of companies in the 15mm 1600's market however and raising a few forces for pretty cheap shouldn't be that hard.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's one of my favorite games, but TBH while the official miniatures are really good they do charge Battlefront level prices for a lot of stuff if you aren't located in or near Poland and Sweden. There are a lot of companies in the 15mm 1600's market however and raising a few forces for pretty cheap shouldn't be that hard.

I do in fact live in Sweden, so that's fortunate!

Are the Skirmish sets balanced against each other? I'm interested in the Poles, the Ottomans and the Muscovites, but the Muscovite skirmish set looks at a cursory glance like it's at least one point short of the other ones (4, as opposed to 5 or 6.) I don't have the rulebook yet, so I can't check the army lists aside from the ones uploaded as free PDFs.

e: alternatively, how to start an Ottoman army without the Skirmish set.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Foul Fowl posted:

I do in fact live in Sweden, so that's fortunate!

Are the Skirmish sets balanced against each other? I'm interested in the Poles, the Ottomans and the Muscovites, but the Muscovite skirmish set looks at a cursory glance like it's at least one point short of the other ones (4, as opposed to 5 or 6.) I don't have the rulebook yet, so I can't check the army lists aside from the ones uploaded as free PDFs.

e: alternatively, how to start an Ottoman army without the Skirmish set.

It's okay to be short in BF&S because you get some significant advantages. In fact, the competitive meta for the game in Poland is based around low point forces in the skirmish game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'd recommend Ottomans just because the official minis are good and there is stellar miniatures support for them from a ton of other companies. Poland less so, and the Muscovites even less than that.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Trying to get my buddies into historical games and all I get is oh yeah that is like ______ in 40 k universe. Not everything has to be related to 40k bro. Being too groggy will turn people off though

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

muggins posted:

Trying to get my buddies into historical games and all I get is oh yeah that is like ______ in 40 k universe. Not everything has to be related to 40k bro. Being too groggy will turn people off though

Yes, but being "like ______ in 40 k universe" will offer a gateway to people coming from 40K. And you can always reframe it like "Actually, the _______ are based upon the real life ______. They were pretty badass, and I've got a game where you can play as them."

It's all about exploiting that opening - just like Chaos exploits the weak mind in 40K. Bam.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
The best way to get people into Historicals is well-painted miniatures, which is true of any game system really.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
The best way to get people to play historicals is to get two opposing armies, and painting them up. Not only can you offer a game with minimum investment required for others, but it will also look good next to any unpainted plastic poo poo army.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah I'm a sucker for nicely painted armies. My intro game to War And Conquest last week was as much about the enjoyment of pushing 2 lovely looking armies around the table.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yay, just did a 3v3 3000 points a person huge FoW battle as a send off for the one guy who is going into the Army at the end of the month. Not as painful as I thought it would be, there was some stupidity in how it was handled, but nothing game breaking. The LGS owner reverted to type unfortunately, and I think I know now why one player hasn't played in forever; he already knew what I'm just now discovering. I probably let things slide that I shouldn't have, but this was suppose to be a big fun thing and I didn't want to bog things down in arguments; especially as this is the one guy's last game of FoW until...

Going to probably ask some questions on the forums, do some research. There was some obvious fudging of things that I don't think would've happened on a normal game night, because I don't think he'd like customers to hear someone call him a cheater. But, he wasn't the only one being liberal with measurements and what not.

Also, this gem from the owner last night, "I always play the same army (Russian IS85s & God of War) so people can prepare and bring stuff to counter it." Except, no, that's not why, he plays it because there are very few things that are effective against it, and if someone makes the mistake of not bringing a list that is tailor made to defeat his army, he'll grind them into the dust. It is a very difficult army for inexperienced players to fight against, it punishes people who bring the "wrong" army, and it forces everyone into trying to play his game. Don't get me wrong, it's obviously a very synergistic army, and a great build when you think about it (the air, artillery, and heavy tanks), one that I might even consider taking to a tourney; but it's not a fun list to have to deal with every weekend.

I think if he wanted a "samey" list that would be inviting for people to play against, instead of discouraging new players, he really should just stick to T-34 Tankovy. He'll win some, he'll lose some, but everyone will have fun instead of getting frustrated when their one anti-tank unit gets destroyed and they spend the next six turns getting ground up by heavy tanks they can't hurt in assault, while being bombarded by God of War artillery and Tip Shturmoviks. Maybe that's the problem, he'll lose some.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The answer to Russian heavies is King Tigers. Pull out that gonzo Remagen 4 KT Reluctant Vets list and chop his list to bits.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Forums Terrorist posted:

The answer to Russian heavies is King Tigers. Pull out that gonzo Remagen 4 KT Reluctant Vets list and chop his list to bits.

You guys have already given me an answer to the Russian heavies, they're slowly becoming a non-issue outside of not actually being able to field some of the more quirky lists that exist out there. Running that Fallschrimjager list based on what Numlock suggested a couple of pages back. Of course, I haven't "beaten" the owner, he doesn't "lose", we just have "draws". You know, the kind where it's obvious your enemy can no longer actually capture an objective, but he hasn't lost because he's still got aaaallllll that artillery sitting in the back, and there is just no way that you'll be able to weather aaaallllll that artillery to capture an objective.

Though maybe I'll spring for two more KTs or actually get to buying a few Elefants and try that some time.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Played CHECK YOUR 6! today.

Once we got the hang of charting out your moves and thinking in 3d space it was a bunch of fun. I've only played X-Wing and Wings of War once each but my impression is that Check your 6 is the superior game.

The scenario we played was from the Six day war, the Israelis running 4 Phantoms and the Egyptians with 4 MiG-21's and 2 Mig-19's.

The Egyptians lost a MiG-19 in the initial clash to cannon fire but were able to use the superior maneuverability of their Mig's to repeatedly get on the tails of the Phantoms. Sadly the Egyptians couldn't hit anything (worst rolling ever) and the game petered out as the time limit expired.

Israeli's won since they actually got a kill, but realistically it could probably be considered an Egyptian Victory as they only lost 1 MiG and stopped the Israeli's from destroying their original targets.

YF19pilot posted:

Stuff about his game this weekend.

Once his IS-85's are gone any Fearless infantry list should be able to just walk up and take the objective if all he has is some artillery.

You guys do roll missions right? Outside of the fair fight missions there shouldn't be any objective you (as the defender) should have to take to win. If the Attacker does not take an objective before the end of game (ether because time is called or the turn limit is up) he loses. If you guys aren't rolling for missions then you are officially playing the game wrong.

Also what was his list again? I know it was IS-85's, Air and a God of war, but what else? Surely its not just 3 platoons (Air does not count as a platoon)? In any-case one his army is below half (in the case of a 4 platoon army, once 3 platoons are dead) he needs to start rolling to see if his army breaks every turn. If the CO/1iC and 2iC (if he had one) is dead then he automatically fails that roll.

If his list really is just Air, two platoons of IS-85's and a god of war then he's lost once the IS-85's get destroyed. If he's just hiding whats left of his list and waiting for you to give up in frustration to claim a "Draw" then he's a oval office and you need to stop playing with him.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Numlock posted:

Once his IS-85's are gone any Fearless infantry list should be able to just walk up and take the objective if all he has is some artillery.

You guys do roll missions right? Outside of the fair fight missions there shouldn't be any objective you (as the defender) should have to take to win. If the Attacker does not take an objective before the end of game (ether because time is called or the turn limit is up) he loses. If you guys aren't rolling for missions then you are officially playing the game wrong.

Also what was his list again? I know it was IS-85's, Air and a God of war, but what else? Surely its not just 3 platoons (Air does not count as a platoon)? In any-case one his army is below half (in the case of a 4 platoon army, once 3 platoons are dead) he needs to start rolling to see if his army breaks every turn. If the CO/1iC and 2iC (if he had one) is dead then he automatically fails that roll.

If his list really is just Air, two platoons of IS-85's and a god of war then he's lost once the IS-85's get destroyed. If he's just hiding whats left of his list and waiting for you to give up in frustration to claim a "Draw" then he's a oval office and you need to stop playing with him.

Yes, we roll for missions. Unless there's some new guy playing, in which case we generally keep it to Encounter or Fair Fight to make it easier. Which is a rare occurrence at the moment.

His list, now that I've started asking questions about his army composition every time we play, was (at 1500) IS85 HQ, two squads of three IS85s each, Artillery Battalion with 4 122mm obr 1938, a Reserve Artillery Battalion with 4 152mm obr 1943, and limited air support with the Tip Shturmovik. So, once his IS-85s are dead, the army is at half. So yeah, probably exaggerating by saying full God of War, but if he can weasel it in there he will (or he might forget which 152s he bought when he direct fires at a tank). And the current situation is that if the LGS owner is playing, it's a 2v2 battle anyways, because he has to mind the store while he's playing, which slows the game down, which means time is usually called. Saturday they rolled up Encounter. Sunday's game happened because the store was actually closed.

Now it's becoming kind of a moot point, I think. We're losing a player, now down to six players total, except two have been "banished" to the back table by the owner (at least they're having fun), two are spotty at best, which leaves me and the owner. And I'm not playing him if I can avoid it. I was holding out until yesterday's game anyways before I started actually looking around for another gaming group for FoW. If I can't, maybe I can at least introduce another game the owner has no clue about, like Fire and Sword, or get these tiny samurai painted up.

Lastly, yes, the owner is a dirty weasel. He runs his cheesy list against new players knowing it's an easy win, and I wouldn't put it past him to try and sneak something extra on the board against inexperienced players. He tries to get players to buy terrain for the board and "donate" to the store so "we can play with it." The manipulative bastard has actually gotten people to do just that. He constantly says that poo poo to me every time he finds me looking at the FoW buildings. He overprices things that aren't FoW. He turns up his nose at "inferior" products (like Command Decision) because he doesn't sell them. He encourages spite amongst players, talks behind the backs of some of the regulars, and is a bully towards some of the players (especially M:tG players). I know I'm not perfect, but I try to be welcoming. I know there is such a thing as friendly ribbing, but you usually don't do it constantly when that person isn't around. I know we all have stories about retail that we love to tell. But if you can't wait 5 minutes after someone leaves to bad mouth him, and he's a guy that constantly drops $100+ a week on little tiny army mens, maybe you don't deserve his business. Maybe you don't deserve mine.

I think I'm done with the e/n for now. Time to find a new group, and a new store (the three closest stores to me are all actually owned by this same guy).

tl;dr: I think my FoW group has just died, the owner is a smug dick, and I don't want to front the money for 40k.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

tl;dr: I think my FoW group has just died, the owner is a smug dick, and I don't want to front the money for 40k.

Don't lose out hope man, you will find a good group. Also 40k? I think you would be jumping from the pan into the fire doing that.

One strategy you can try is simply to refuse to play the owner and just play with those other guys he doesn't like. If if you show up and he's wanting a game against you then just make up an excuse, "Oh I was just stopping in to see what was going on, I have to be some where in an hour..." Then leave.

Pre-arrange games as well, so that you always have a partner ready to go. If they are a no-show then just leave.

This way you can continue to get games in without having to trek to the moon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
People like that guy keep me from spending hundreds of additional dollars on plastic tanks, so they have a use I guess.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Numlock posted:

Don't lose out hope man, you will find a good group. Also 40k? I think you would be jumping from the pan into the fire doing that.

One strategy you can try is simply to refuse to play the owner and just play with those other guys he doesn't like. If if you show up and he's wanting a game against you then just make up an excuse, "Oh I was just stopping in to see what was going on, I have to be some where in an hour..." Then leave.

Pre-arrange games as well, so that you always have a partner ready to go. If they are a no-show then just leave.

This way you can continue to get games in without having to trek to the moon.

I'm staying away from 40k. I said goodbye to that game. And I've heard it's become a bit of a cluster, jumped the shark, and becoming even more like Warhammer "Fantasy in Space" with the magic psychic phase. Of course, one person did tell me that "now's the best time to get into 40k, you should totally buy an army!" That person also works for the LGS. If I get into any non-historical it'll probably be Dystopian Wars or Infinity. Or Dropzone Commander.

I'll say this and be done with it, because I know on the land of the internets it's sometimes too easy to inflate an issue and not even realize it; for yesterday's big game, the owner did give us free sodas, one of those sandwich platters from WalMart, and a cake for the guy going into the army. He's not a horrible person, but he has his "foibles", and they're enough to make me certainly not want to play against him, and even question that sacred vow of gamers to always support their brick-and-mortar Friendly Local Game Store. Or is it Full Line Game Store? I always forget which it's suppose to be.

Ensign Expendable posted:

People like that guy keep me from spending hundreds of additional dollars on plastic tanks, so they have a use I guess.

I would, too, if it weren't for the internet. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have friends who I just don't enjoy playing games with. Some of them complain that their perfect strategies are let down by dice, some of them are just too drat competitive for their own good, and a thankfully tiny number are just terrible at games and wiping the floor with them in games that you've never played before is just boring. They're all fine people to talk poo poo with down the pub though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

I have friends who I just don't enjoy playing games with. Some of them complain that their perfect strategies are let down by dice, some of them are just too drat competitive for their own good, and a thankfully tiny number are just terrible at games and wiping the floor with them in games that you've never played before is just boring. They're all fine people to talk poo poo with down the pub though.

I'd probably feel the same way about the LGS owner if it wasn't for his habit of talking about some customers behind their backs. I'm not someone who dwells on what other people think of me, but he does it enough that it sometimes lingers in the back of my mind what does he say when I'm not here? So, basically, I would not go out of my way to say hello to him if I saw him outside of that store. His wife on the other hand, I can chew the fat with her all day, she's a nice person to chat with.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What era is FoW usually played at in tournaments?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

DJ Dizzy posted:

I think there is probably an equal number of tournaments running each era. There might be a few more playing late than the others, but all of them seem well represented. I think there have even been Vietnam and FoaN tournaments (though usually local small shindigs, not the bigger stuff).

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, got to play my first "real" FoW game last night at about 1000 points. Canadian armored recon against German StuGs. We each had 8 tanks (2 fireflies, 6 regular shermans) and a platoon of infantry that sat on objectives.

My Fireflies had snipers, apparently. One of them accounted for 5, the other for 1 of his StuGs, with my 2iC killing his 2iC. Semi-Indirect plus being able to GtG at long range when not firing was killer, and the regular Shermans managed to catch a lot of bullets. All of them, in fact, because his 1iC and 2 StuGs killed all 6 regular Shermans, leaving me with just the two Fireflies at the end. His last platoon StuG luckily ran away just before it would have taken my objective, so, hurray, Allied victory!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Most of the big, annual tournaments change era's every year (they usually also change points to match the BF Nationals points levels). Some will just alternate between Late and Mid War while others include Early War (which is the least popular of the big 3 era's, but improving). FoaN, Vietnam, and I suspect Great War Era's will usually be smaller side tournaments at the bigger conventions if anything.

Look up what the bigger tournaments are in your area and go from there.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Is it considered a cardinal sin for me to draw a smiley face with a Hitler mustache on the tail of my Me-262 rather than a swastika? I mean, I'm all for historical accuracy and what not, but I don't feel like being that guy who actually drew a swastika on a toy airplane.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What why aren't you just using luftwaffe crosses?

e: Huh, never noticed that before. I'd just leave it off. The comical Hitler thing is arguably in worse taste.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
This is the only acceptable way to display a Hitler on your military vehicle.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Is it considered a cardinal sin for me to draw a smiley face with a Hitler mustache on the tail of my Me-262 rather than a swastika? I mean, I'm all for historical accuracy and what not, but I don't feel like being that guy who actually drew a swastika on a toy airplane.

Its not a "that guy-ism" to put period accurate unit symbols on a tank, even nazi ones. Nobody is going to think you are trying to be "2 edgy 4 u lol" or suitably dropping the hint that you might be a fan of certain ideologies.

Its also not going to summon Nazi DICKWOLFGhosts to rear end rape you in the middle of the night ether.

So unless you live in a country where it might be illegal to do so, go ahead and celebrate your FREEDOM.

TLDR: JUST DO IT PUSSY

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If you're really feeling bad about it, you can weather the plane so it's all peeling and barely visible, I guess.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh god.... I just had a horrible thought. Given Battlefront's treatment of various SS "heroes" in FoW, what are the chances that if Great War gets some momentum going the Austro-Hungarians will have an Artillery Corporal Warrior?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

They should sell a special objective depicting the Arch-Duke's assassination.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Only if Gavrilo Princip is still holding a half-eaten sandwich in his off hand :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What do I have to roll to make Ferdinand take someone competent with him?

Been instructed I should turn my 2010 Flames of War starter into an actual starting point for the game. This is annoying, because Russians are the most interesting army to me, other than maybe a joke Australian list (is that even a thing?)

There are other historical systems that seem more interesting, but this is one has a bit of a community around here, so some starting advice would be great.