Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Pixeltendo posted:

the other m of paper mario
No sorry, that's Super Paper Mario. Sticker Star was somewhat salvageable and nowhere near as bad as SPM.

Cool to see a Paper Mario stage nonetheless, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A Paper Mario stage for 3DS...

Does that mean the WiiU is getting a Mario Party stage?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Echo Chamber posted:

A Paper Mario stage for 3DS...

Does that mean the WiiU is getting a Mario Party stage?

Please

I've wanted it for so long, wario ware type mini game happens and "Oh you lost, trade stocks with the person in last place!" :buddy:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

No sorry, that's Super Paper Mario. Sticker Star was somewhat salvageable and nowhere near as bad as SPM.

No, you're wrong. Super Paper Mario at least had some storytelling power and originality behind it, including going to literal hell. Sticker Star wore some of the trappings of the first two Paper Marios but was, in actuality, an abomination.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I rather liked SPM, yeah, it was one of the first Wii games I had and the first in the series I ever played. It wasn't perfect sure, but it was definitely imaginative and had plenty of fun moments, and I think it did well to translate the quirky 'feel' of Paper Mario to a vastly different setting in gameplay and aesthetics. Sticker Star...it felt very soulless. It might as well have been called New Paper Mario 3D. It acted like a Paper Mario game, sure, but it just went through the motions and didn't bring any of the charm or humor. And the environments were dull as hell, not a single place stood out to me as being memorable.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
Super Paper Mario was awesome, you got to be Princess Peach and float around with her parasol. :colbert:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This is stretching back a long-rear end way, but I'm curious: how much did we (i.e. obsessive internet nerds :v:) know about Melee's roster before it came out? Was there a full, correct list of unlockable characters floating around a month-ish before release like there was for Brawl?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

sticker star was a gently caress awful game with no companions, no reason to do battles because there was no levelling mechanic, and no charm

super paper mario had its problems but at least it tried to be fun

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

super paper mario had its problems but at least it tried to be fun

Except when it went out of its way to deliberately not be, but those times were hilarious.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

sharrrk posted:

I wanna see if there are other transformations for the other 2 Paper Mario games. Also since there are only two songs for the 3DS stages I wonder if one of them might be a medley of songs that cycles along with the stage transformations? It would be a nice way to get more music from a series long overdue for representation.

I really hope this track is in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemNQnUcfZw as it's pretty much the best 'official' version of the Mario theme I've ever heard.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Super Paper Mario forced you to play as Princess Peach in a horrible dating sim game with a socially awkward chameleon who loves anime

I also enjoyed Sticker Star but I wished there had been more depth to it.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Super Paper Mario is the Planescape: Torment of its genre. Except the gameplay can be fun to play instead of a disgusting and painful slog in between ready bits and industry criticism. Also you can play as Bowser in a non-sports-related fashion, raising it above other games intrinsically.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

DrakePegasus posted:

Super Paper Mario is the Planescape: Torment of its genre. Except the gameplay can be fun to play instead of a disgusting and painful slog in between ready bits and industry criticism. Also you can play as Bowser in a non-sports-related fashion, raising it above other games intrinsically.

Super Paper Mario is the Citizen Kane of gaming.

We all know that the first and second paper mario games were miles better then Super or Sticker Star.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I think the only thing worth salvaging from Sticker Star is

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Super Paper Mario forced you to play as Princess Peach in a horrible dating sim game with a socially awkward chameleon who loves anime

That scene was beautiful because it was a pitch-perfect parody of both those ridiculous Dating Sims as well as the kind of creepy shut in Otaku that enjoy that kind of stuff.

It's the most mean-spirited and below-the-belt joke Nintendo's ever done, and deserves a place in a museum.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

That scene was beautiful because it was a pitch-perfect parody of both those ridiculous Dating Sims as well as the kind of creepy shut in Otaku that enjoy that kind of stuff.

It's the most mean-spirited and below-the-belt joke Nintendo's ever done, and deserves a place in a museum.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kurtofan posted:

If there's a Rhythm Heaven character, there's a good chance he'd be a secret character, considering this would be an out there choice not from a particularly popular series.

Those games underperformed internationally but they've all been very successful in Japan, I definitely wouldn't say they're obscure.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Well the series is not obscure , but in terms of characters there's not really an overly popular choice.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

sticker star was a gently caress awful game with no companions, no reason to do battles because there was no levelling mechanic, and no charm

actually its really good

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fresh-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland is the best Paper Mario game, so add Tingle already, Samurai!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Famous TV Dad posted:

actually its really good

I'll fight you about this

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Francis is the best. He even has a neckbeard

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Wii U exclusive mode, Smashketball!!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean, the game is out in Japan in September right? So how many more newcomer videos can they even squeeze in before release? One or two? There'll probably be a Nintendo Direct in August so I would expect a newcomer video there.

But I just can't imagine they have many more newcomers to announce. More than one maybe but the odds for Shulk or Chorus Men or Ridley or whoever has got to be dwindling at this point. Too many fake leak characters and not a ton of time before release.

I agree, I don't think there's more than two newcomers left. They're also not going to be kept secret this time around, because newcomer trailers are a big part of the game's marketing strategy.

There are these fan rosters floating around with 60-ish characters and it's just not realistic. If you make a more reasonable guess closer to 50 (it really looks like 48 icons will fit both character select screens perfectly), then there's really not room for a shitload more newcomers AND all the likely veterans.

My two guesses would be Shulk and Impa. Ridley has already been teasingly confirmed as a stage hazard, Chorus Men would be bizarre, and I don't think they're going to revisit any of the franchises they've already released a trailer for.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Where's Geno

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'd love to sling around a chain pipe in this game, shame Goemon will never make the cut. His final smash could even be IMPACT, it's perfect.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

It's okay we've all played Brawl. :downswords:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Francis is the best. He even has a neckbeard

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Where's our Francis assist trophy!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

His final smash could even be IMPACT, it's perfect.

But only if you have to hear the full song and cinematic each time you activate it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rhonne posted:

Where's our Francis assist trophy!

He blocks the screen with choice quotes from this thread. It would be so perfect.

"Nintendo is a poo poo company. If they appreciated their fans Waluigi would be in this game."

"Megaman is a dead icon and stole a spot from more deserving characters, such as the shark from Banjo Kazooie"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

tbf i also find princess peach very attractive.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Excels posted:

tbf i also find princess peach very attractive.

Are you kidding? Hot babe doesn't even begin to describe that piece of rear end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Are you kidding? Hot babe doesn't even begin to describe that piece of rear end.

Back off guys. We all know Peach belongs to Andykins, that guy who used to draw the comic where he confessed his love for her over and over again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

I agree, I don't think there's more than two newcomers left. They're also not going to be kept secret this time around, because newcomer trailers are a big part of the game's marketing strategy.

There are these fan rosters floating around with 60-ish characters and it's just not realistic. If you make a more reasonable guess closer to 50 (it really looks like 48 icons will fit both character select screens perfectly), then there's really not room for a shitload more newcomers AND all the likely veterans.

My two guesses would be Shulk and Impa. Ridley has already been teasingly confirmed as a stage hazard, Chorus Men would be bizarre, and I don't think they're going to revisit any of the franchises they've already released a trailer for.
Just thinking about which franchises would get quintuple-dipped, I'm going to say another Zelda newcomer and another Pokemon newcomer to the chagrin of people who want Shulk or some obscure character.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Just thinking about which franchises would get quintuple-dipped, I'm going to say another Zelda newcomer and another Pokemon newcomer to the chagrin of people who want Shulk or some obscure character.

There's been a lot of rumors of a third starter from Pokemon, a grass-type to round out the trio with Charizard and Greninja. Which pretty much makes it Sceptile, since it's the only bipedal grass-type starter not already from a generation represented. And would even help to advertise the upcoming Ruby and Sapphire remakes. Another Zelda rep would make sense too, and with Hyrule Warriors pushing Impa I could see her making it in. She could actually be an interesting fusion of Link and Shiek.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think this is necessarily the case considering the game is also technically "launching" multiple times (each version plus international release variances). So if Ridley for example was a newcomer and they didn't show his trailer in time for the Japanese 3DS release, they could instead show it leading up to the Wii U release. Granted, it wouldn't be a surprise but it would still be a way to keep hype going during the 3 months between releases. They still need to advertise leading up to the Wii U release and a character trailer would be better than endless updates on stages and whatever Wii U exclusive game mode.

Although I also don't think we have more than a handful of newcomers left, and the roster likely be approaching 50 but not beyond that (and certainly nowhere near 60).

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Where the gently caress did today's Project M costume come from?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Newcomer chances are something like

Somewhat Likely: Shulk
Could Happen: Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie, some Zelda newcomer, some Rhythm Heaven newcomer
Bit of a Stretch: Sceptile, Isaac, Bandana Dee, some random retro dude no one really wanted
Unlikely: everyone else

And there's realistically only 2-4 spots left, so there's really no 'safe' picks anymore. Takamaru's chances looked fairly decent after they announced a localization of his game and look what happened to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Did Ness/Jiggs ever get confirmed, heh

• Locked thread