Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Darkhold posted:

As for the immigrant derail I moved to the UK about eight years ago. To this day I'm amazed at how many people will bitch about immigrants right in front of me. First time it happened it was while a barber was cutting my hair and I was kinda shocked. Now I'm almost used to it.

It does continue to amuse me when I say 'Well I'm an immigrant' and see how fast they backpedal and figure out ways to say that I'm ok without admitting that I don't count because I'm white and don't have a Polish accent.

One of my American mates confronted an English Defence League campaigner and said, "I pay taxes and work hard, what's wrong with me?"
The guy actually said, "Awww, mate! You're not an immigrant! You're American!" :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Stottie Kyek posted:

One of my American mates confronted an English Defence League campaigner and said, "I pay taxes and work hard, what's wrong with me?"
The guy actually said, "Awww, mate! You're not an immigrant! You're American!" :wtc:

He either didn't know he was an Australian citizen or thought/admitted immigrant was a euphemism for "friend of the family".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All americans should gently caress off back home imo

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

sassassin posted:

All americans should gently caress off back home imo
Though I'd love to pop home in the middle of the day to see my wife and daughter unfortunately I can't close the yard. Thanks for the suggestion though.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

So true. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Brits would change their views on the Poles if they actually went into one of the Polski Skleps (Polish Shop) and found out you can get white Lion bars there.

Also Polish beer is everywhere and lots of non-Poles drink it, so yet another score for multiculturalism working out fine.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I like it how 'immigrants' in America has become the new 'black people' word, to even include black people, even though black people haven't immigrated here in a couple centuries (against their will).

Ugh.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

I like it how 'immigrants' in America has become the new 'black people' word, to even include black people, even though black people haven't immigrated here in a couple centuries (against their will).

Ugh.

You are now picturing an Italian-American doing exactly this.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

EL BROMANCE posted:

white Lion bars

like a lion bar but with white chocolate? Well, that's me sold (not that I ever had a problem with Polish immigrants or any other immigrants for that matter, just never had a need to go into a Polish grocers)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dialhforhero posted:

Ugh.

I get casually racist poo poo thrown my direction all the time because I'm "naturalized" and "speak properly," and apparently it's shocking when I point out racist and jingoist sentiments that strangers/co-workers direct toward me.

They always act shocked, like they expected me to agree with them about IMMIGRANTS.

I'm as brown as fashion from the seventies, my last name is REALLY HISPANIC. They know I'm born in Mexico.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Jul 29, 2014

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The 'hate the poles' was only because of poo poo like this:

(circa 2010)

But that has recently been replaced by:

which is all about Romanians & Bulgarians coming here to steal.. well.. everything apparently.

This has really just served to diversify the hatred from a single country to 'all of those eastern European bastards'. This in turn has led to the ability to count anyone who looks white, but talks funny, to count as 'black' for the purposes of hating.

The irony of distinguishing via grammatical prowess or a pronounced accent is entirely lost on them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wasabi the J posted:

I get casually racist poo poo thrown my direction all the time because I'm "naturalized" and "speak properly," and apparently it's shocking when I point out racist and jingoist sentiments that strangers/co-workers direct toward me.

They always act shocked, like they expected me to agree with them about IMMIGRANTS.

I'm as brown as fashion from the seventies, my last name is REALLY HISPANIC. They know I'm born in Mexico.

I'm white so I imagine most of these kinds of people think I think the way they do, but it's always a little funny when a guy comes through my line at work and bitches at me about Obama or makes a joke about immigrants or the border and then looks at me literally the same way a dog looks at you waiting for you to throw the ball again

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fatkraken posted:

like a lion bar but with white chocolate? Well, that's me sold (not that I ever had a problem with Polish immigrants or any other immigrants for that matter, just never had a need to go into a Polish grocers)

Exactly that my friend.

Always worth popping into these places, you can find some really fun stuff and a lot of the time it's not expensive. I love going to my local East Asian place to pick up crazy hot fish snacks or fizzy milk drinks.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
There's been a nasty upswing in outright racism here too, with a series of orchestrated attacks last night. Of course, the response on Facebooks has been nothing but sympathetic:

Oh.

Well, at least some of the graffiti was funny.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Odobenidae posted:

Australia is still an island, right? I'm seeing a bit of a problem with the whole "Border" protection idea.

Our illegal immigrants come on boats as refugees. And then get turned away by the navy, getting sent 'for their safety' to flat-out concentration camps, over a distance greater than the amount left to get to Australia, to a country with proven history of huma rights violations (if they're lucky, it's the country they're fleeing in the first place).

Australia is really poo poo.

EDIT: Oh, right, and our migration zone has been moved to within our shores, as an ingenious means to get around technicalities. They can only be migrants if they enter the migration zone, but since the migration zone's now somewhere on the mainland, they can't just boat there.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Jul 29, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I understand the Labor Party kind of lost its poo poo, but what exactly led to Tony Abbott being voted in?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

dregan posted:

Well, at least some of the graffiti was funny.

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kavak posted:

I understand the Labor Party kind of lost its poo poo, but what exactly led to Tony Abbott being voted in?

The only thing worse than Australian politicians is Australian voters, that's what happened. We voted out one of the best governments we've had in terms of pretty much everything but human rights violations (because they just had to appeal to the racist vote), because the Liberal Party's plan of 'make poo poo up and pretend the government was terrible against all evidence to the contrary' was never really contested by Labor, who were too busy eating themselves, and was instead praised by our media which is basically a Murdoch monopoly. Since Labor weren't putting up a real fight, and News Limited were acting as a Liberal propaganda wing for three years straight, the majority of Australians went 'yep, sounds about right, guess it's time to kick Labor out' and didn't bother paying attention to any of the (really, really obvious) evidence. Sexism was also a pretty big part of it, but it's hard to separate 'hating her because she's a woman' and 'hating her for non-gendered reasons but coating it in sexism anyway' enough to figure out just how much.

For what it's worth, we've never had a more unpopular government this early in their run than Abbott's.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jul 29, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: Oh, right, and our migration zone has been moved to within our shores, as an ingenious means to get around technicalities. They can only be migrants if they enter the migration zone, but since the migration zone's now somewhere on the mainland, they can't just boat there.

So you're saying I can emigrate there if I parachute in?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Brits would change their views on the Poles if they actually went into one of the Polski Skleps (Polish Shop) and found out you can get white Lion bars there.

Also Polish beer is everywhere and lots of non-Poles drink it, so yet another score for multiculturalism working out fine.

The islands of <X> shops and easy availability of <X> cuisine have always been reasons I can't understand why people here in the UK hate multiculturalism.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SybilVimes posted:

The islands of <X> shops and easy availability of <X> cuisine have always been reasons I can't understand why people here in the UK hate multiculturalism.

Because they read the Daily Mail.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

NightWig posted:

Literally violent savages

Did you get these out of one of GBS's "gently caress all cops forever" threads?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Especially seeing as, I think, most European immigrants work more and pay more tax/take less welfare than the average Brit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Praseodymi posted:

Especially seeing as, I think, most European immigrants work more and pay more tax/take less welfare than the average Brit.

That's cause they took all the jobs

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If Brits didn't want Poles emmigrating to the UK then maybe they should have invested in Eastern Poland.

makes u think...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
On the subject of "immigrants:"

I've had people both IRL and on Facebook get pissed at me for pointing out that, unless they are 100% Native American, at some point their ancestors were immigrants to this country.

The thought... the very THOUGHT of being compared to those drat dirty browns is enough to send them into a red hot frothing rage.

It's either that or "well that was different" or "it was a different time."

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

ugh, again? Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?

This is like three pages back, but I just wanted you to know that I appreciated it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Immigration is only OK if you genocide the brown people who were already there. Also you have to be white.

Let's not think for a minute that this debate isn't about race. It's also a convenient way for politicians in certain alignment to froth up their base.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

On the subject of "immigrants:"

I've had people both IRL and on Facebook get pissed at me for pointing out that, unless they are 100% Native American, at some point their ancestors were immigrants to this country.

The thought... the very THOUGHT of being compared to those drat dirty browns is enough to send them into a red hot frothing rage.

It's either that or "well that was different" or "it was a different time."

I've heard "we're against illegal immigration".

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
I've had people freely bitch to me about those freeloaders on government money. They backpedal when I tell them I'm on disability. "Oh, well, I didn't mean YOU. I mean those that abuse it."

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
All this immigration talk reminds me of a favorite of the political cartoon thread:

Good to know that we've made it so far :allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Yeah, RIP.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I can't help but notice that you did not like or comment.

See what kind of friend YOU are.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I always get really fired up by this thread and then jump on Facebook to find something outrageous to share with y'all...

And I always come back empty handed :(

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Peanut President posted:

Europe has a big assembly, like the UN. Unlike the UN they don't appoint people, they elect them.

Also unlike the UN general assembly, the EU parliament actually has some power to like do stuff and things

OzyMandrill posted:

The 'hate the poles' was only because of poo poo like this:

(circa 2010)

But that has recently been replaced by:

which is all about Romanians & Bulgarians coming here to steal.. well.. everything apparently.

lol literally a "They're coming to take all our jobs and welfare simuanteosly!"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
oh my god

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Thesaurus posted:

I always get really fired up by this thread and then jump on Facebook to find something outrageous to share with y'all...

And I always come back empty handed :(

I chased off all the juicy thread fodder years ago by being an obnoxious contrarian on other peoples facebook posts. :(

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Excels posted:

oh my god

"Atomkin, does not identify as a woman or a man. I don't believe in Cis-genderism. I am Trans-black. Welcome to my/our world of daily injustice."

It's a troll blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Ninjasaurus posted:

"Atomkin, does not identify as a woman or a man. I don't believe in Cis-genderism. I am Trans-black. Welcome to my/our world of daily injustice."

It's a troll blog.

completely possible that is 100% serious. tumblr is a real grab bag of delusional oppressed minorities.

• Locked thread