Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

I can finally contribute with some poo poo everyone has already seen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those Hellboy library editions are my favourite thing ever, especially given how little they cost.

I recently ordered the Annihilation omnibus, and anyone know why that's so expensive? It was just re-released so surely it isn't out of print, and it isn't bigger than most other omnibuses. It's still like €30 more, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just received the Avengers "The Legacy of Thanos" trade; I reckon "Under Siege" will be re-released next year to coincide with the movie (if not sooner) and then that'll be the entire Roger Stern Avengers run collected in paperback format.

It's a bit annoying that "Assault On Olympus" is in one of the new Epic Collections, since I already have all the non-main series issues included and generally, I prefer not to double-dip when I can avoid it.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Hakkesshu posted:

I recently ordered the Annihilation omnibus, and anyone know why that's so expensive? It was just re-released so surely it isn't out of print, and it isn't bigger than most other omnibuses. It's still like €30 more, though.

I would bet it's a case of how many they think they can sell and what they need to charge based on lower sales estimates.

Also, if they think they won't be able to sell a lot of them (relative to higher selling Omnibu) they print less of them and the printing cost are somewhat higher than on a book they print more copies of.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I am really surprised that Annihilation is getting Omnied and the DnA Guardians is only getting complete collections. I would think the name recognition would push more copies. How many people are going to know that Annihilation has anything to do with Guardians of the Galaxy?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

sporklift posted:

I am really surprised that Annihilation is getting Omnied and the DnA Guardians is only getting complete collections. I would think the name recognition would push more copies. How many people are going to know that Annihilation has anything to do with Guardians of the Galaxy?

Same could be said for a tonne of books. lovely stores with terrible sales people do not help this issue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sporklift posted:

It's a reprint of an older omni. Also I somehow doubt the omnibus format/price appeals to the people they want to sell GotG books to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a reprint of an older omni. Also I somehow doubt the omnibus format/price appeals to the people they want to sell GotG books to.

No it isn't. Annihilation was only available in OSHC. It's repackaging of previous OS content. Also they want the GotG books to be price accessible for the average person who sees the movie and is curious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have a list of the collections for Geoff Johns's original pre-N52 Superman run? I've heard it's pretty good and I'd like to give it a go at some point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

Does anyone have a list of the collections for Geoff Johns's original pre-N52 Superman run? I've heard it's pretty good and I'd like to give it a go at some point.

If you read digital comics the whole run is on sale for 99 per issue on comixology.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm stodgy and old-fashioned, and I don't tend to go in for digital so much. I'm kinda hoping there'll be an omnibus, because DC will omnibus anything if they can put Geoff Johns's name on it :v: (JSA, Teen Titans, the Flash, Green Lantern, Infinite Crisis, 52, Brightest Day, even Hawkman).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is the list
Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
Superman: Last Son
Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Superman: Brainiac
Superman: New Krypton, Vol. 1
Superman: New Krypton, Vol. 2

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I have the hardcover of Johns' Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes, if you want a good deal whenever you get to that one. E-mail me at saxman2 AT hotmail.com.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm preparing my Alias issues 10-28 for binding (I already have 1-9 in a trade) and I noticed that issues 10-13 are 1/4 inch shorter than the rest of them. Has anyone else run into this and will this cause an issue in binding?

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
I finally got stuck into my Hellboy Library Edition, holy poo poo is it nice, I keep on thinking I've accidentally turned two pages because the paper is so thick.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Brocktoon posted:

I'm preparing my Alias issues 10-28 for binding (I already have 1-9 in a trade) and I noticed that issues 10-13 are 1/4 inch shorter than the rest of them. Has anyone else run into this and will this cause an issue in binding?

Most binders will shave the pages down if you ask them. I only like doing that with older books, that have larger margins, but binds will look kind of ghetto if you don't do it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Shawn posted:

Most binders will shave the pages down if you ask them. I only like doing that with older books, that have larger margins, but binds will look kind of ghetto if you don't do it.

That's what I thought, and I think there's enough margin at the top and the bottom of the larger pages that I won't lose anything. It's more that I just thought it was odd for a modern comic to have a discrepancy in height like that, and I know other people here have bound Alias, so maybe Marvel slightly changed their issue size at one point or something?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Does the Miracle Man PHC have any extras? I am wondering if I should hold off on buying these and try to wait for an OSHC or omnibus.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

sporklift posted:

Does the Miracle Man PHC have any extras? I am wondering if I should hold off on buying these and try to wait for an OSHC or omnibus.

Even if it does, wait for the OSHC/Omnibus.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I finally got around to ordering the first Claremont Uncanny omni. :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I finally got around to ordering the first Claremont Uncanny omni. :allears:

It's one of the lovelier omnis I own. It's not too thick or heavy, and the printing quality really makes the colours pop.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Speaking of X-Men the first volume in the Epic Collection has been sighted at Hachette's website. Will be interesting to see how it progresses considering most of the series is already collected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's only one really big gap in the collections of Claremont's run, and that's between the end of the second omnibus (#153) and the "Ghosts" TPB (#199). I reckon that'd be maybe three Epics (depending on whether they include stuff like GLMK or the Wolverine miniseries), or one omnibus.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I think there's only one really big gap in the collections of Claremont's run, and that's between the end of the second omnibus (#153) and the "Ghosts" TPB (#199). I reckon that'd be maybe three Epics (depending on whether they include stuff like GLMK or the Wolverine miniseries), or one omnibus.

Looking it up, these issues were collected in Essential X-Men 3, 4 and 5, though obviously not in colour. Masterworks X-Men 7 and 8 collect issues 151-167, but they are long out of print. 9 is out in January and will collect up to 175. Seems weird that they've been leaving that gap open for so long.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still wonder what impact the Epic Collections is going to have on what gets collected as omniboo. From what I gather, Epics are selling pretty well, and I reckon they're a heck of a lot cheaper for everyone concerned. I wonder if Marvel's going to start emphasising event-based (i.e. Infinity Gauntlet, Annihilation) and more contemporary (Hickman FF, Remender X-Force) omnibus collections.

Like, I'm not sure they'll ever do "Fantastic Four by Lee and Kirby" Vol. 3 when they can run off three or four Epics to make up the difference for a lot less cost.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I saw this image today.

Is this the next B.P.R.D. HC? These things are coming out way to slow. Tempted to just go the trade route but I really dig the hardcovers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Looking it up, these issues were collected in Essential X-Men 3, 4 and 5, though obviously not in colour. Masterworks X-Men 7 and 8 collect issues 151-167, but they are long out of print. 9 is out in January and will collect up to 175. Seems weird that they've been leaving that gap open for so long.

7 you can get at a decent price on Amazon, and 8 you can get on ebay it can be found reasonable.
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Master...-Men+-+Volume+7

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Taschen has finally officially listed the Little Nemo collection:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/01129/facts.winsor_mccay_the_complete_little_nemo.htm

Only $125 on Amazon, although a few details seem wrong there.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Wow the spine of the new Luba TPB credits Jaime instead of Gilbert. Whoops! Usually Fantagraphics is more on top of things.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zachack posted:

Taschen has finally officially listed the Little Nemo collection:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/01129/facts.winsor_mccay_the_complete_little_nemo.htm

Only $125 on Amazon, although a few details seem wrong there.

So I guess they're not going to print any more of those giant collections? They were really great, despite being pricy as hell.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
:getin:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've never even heard of Justice League Detroit, when the hell was that?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've never even heard of Justice League Detroit, when the hell was that?
Well you see, way back in the day, Aquaman, upset at how things were going, completely disbanded the JL (each lead member has that right apparently), and started his own team based out of a factory in downtown Detroit. This actually happened. This was the roster (after Aquaman himself quit the team, the jerk):

This collects the whole Detroit era, which as you can see, lasted for a lot longer than it really should have (~2.5 years--amazing). JLD eventually hosed up big time during the Legends crossover and Justice League International took over.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 29, 2014

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So at one point Vixen was the female Wolverine?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

So at one point Vixen was the female Wolverine?
Pretty much--willing to kill, heightened sense and tracking skills, triangular hair...

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

redbackground posted:

This collects the whole Detroit era, which as you can see, lasted for a lot longer than it really should have (~2.5 years--amazing). JLD eventually hosed up big time during the Legends crossover and Justice League International took over.

This is truly the only way things happen in Detroit.

I'm imagining the team operating out of an underfunded fire station, complete with rusty pole or no sliding pole at all. What was the average Justice League Detroit response time? Anything under 7 hours is too far-fetched and would kill my immersion.

Action Serious fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 29, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Who's the artist for this? It looks sort of like John Byrne or George Pérez, but it's probably not...

The Detroit League was mostly Gerry Conway's brainchild, wasn't it? I believe it dates from the era in the early 1980s when DC snagged a lot of guys who'd written for Marvel in the 1970s but felt alienated by Shooter.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Action Serious posted:

I'm imagining the team operating out of an underfunded fire station, complete with rusty pole or no sliding pole at all. What was the average Justice League Detroit response time? Anything under 7 hours is too far-fetched and would kill my immersion.
You're not far off--it was a lovely Cold War-era underground bomb shelter next to the Detroit River. Truly, a wondrous era.

Metal Loaf posted:

Who's the artist for this? It looks sort of like John Byrne or George Pérez, but it's probably not...

The Detroit League was mostly Gerry Conway's brainchild, wasn't it? I believe it dates from the era in the early 1980s when DC snagged a lot of guys who'd written for Marvel in the 1970s but felt alienated by Shooter.
That particular spread is from Legends, actually (just before they drop the ball big time), so the art is by Byrne there. The main artists of that era (JLoA 233-261) were Chuck Patton and Luke McDonnell (of Suicide Squad fame). Conway wrote most of it and then J.M. Dematteis came in at the end to transition the title to JLI.

I also got a 2-volume hardcover DOOM 2099 set made, but for whatever reason, I'm more excited by the JLD book.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 29, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

So I guess they're not going to print any more of those giant collections? They were really great, despite being pricy as hell.

If you mean the splendid Sundays books then I think those were a different publisher, and since Nemo is public domain they could be reprinted. Comparing the dimensions of the new and old books makes the old one seem bigger, but I'm not sure what the margins were like and the new one is the size of legal paper so I'd assume it's full size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zachack posted:

If you mean the splendid Sundays books then I think those were a different publisher, and since Nemo is public domain they could be reprinted. Comparing the dimensions of the new and old books makes the old one seem bigger, but I'm not sure what the margins were like and the new one is the size of legal paper so I'd assume it's full size?

The Splendid Sundays were 16x21. This Taschen volume is 13.5x17. Splendid Sundays was the original Sunday paper size, significantly larger than legal size.