Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
How are there 142 stores in the UK but only 87 in the USA? And they are opening new stores in the UK and closing in the USA. That seems crazy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Look I just want GW to be nice and fun again :( Bring back a community page on the website and cultivate a community, you dumb fucks, so that visiting your website is a daily thing everyone does rather than something that makes you feel like you're entering a used car lot (BUY BUY BUY IS YOUR CREDIT CARD OUT? NO? gently caress OFF!!!!). Make Games Day and the Golden Demon more of a thing, and put it back on the website (and bring it back to Canada you fuckers). Do something with bitz again. Have more community stuff and stop making GBS threads on your customers.

Is... is any of this possible with Hasbro?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CyberLord XP posted:

How are there 142 stores in the UK but only 87 in the USA? And they are opening new stores in the UK and closing in the USA. That seems crazy to me.

"Next year, internally, there will be some disruption remaining from the big reorganisation we have just made and from the one man store programme. Nevertheless I still believe we should be growing by opening new stores; particularly in North America and Germany," said Chairman and Acting Chief Executive Officer Tom Kirby in a statement.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So this one man store business. What happens if the guy running it is sick? I'm guessing there's a lot of unspoken pressure to come in as long as you can still actually walk upright, which must be great for morale, but what happens if you actually can't get to the store. Does it close till you're better? Do they send a temp down from somewhere?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

So this one man store business. What happens if the guy running it is sick? I'm guessing there's a lot of unspoken pressure to come in as long as you can still actually walk upright, which must be great for morale, but what happens if you actually can't get to the store. Does it close till you're better? Do they send a temp down from somewhere?

They hire "oncall" assistants. If they can schedule the oncall in advance, they do. If they can't, they don't. The one-man store manager of my local store is not stressed about it at all and does occasionally close for immediate family emergencies.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
E: ^^^ That makes sense, yeah.

Deptfordx posted:

I have read things around the Internet where people have said they went by the local GW and it was shut for lunch/illness/dude didn't give a gently caress/whatever, so I imagine it just goes like that until GW management gets tired of it and fire the old store manager and hire a new one. I have no evidence for this, of course, but given some of the other things that GW has proudly proclaimed they do or don't do (such as "market research in a niche is pointless"), I would not be in the least bit surprised if that was actually the case.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Deptfordx posted:

There are a few 'cover' staff for areas. What that means is certain bigger stores have extra staff that cover holidays/whatnot for people if its booked in advance. Also some stores are allowed to have essentially part timers, and their job is to cover the house the manager can't work. Be that because hes had to take a last minute day off for an emergency, or he has to go to a meeting etc.

In practice, no store should close due to illness, however there will always be the odd day or so here and there.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have read things around the Internet where people have said they went by the local GW and it was shut for lunch/illness/dude didn't give a gently caress/whatever, so I imagine it just goes like that until GW management gets tired of it and fire the old store manager and hire a new one. I have no evidence for this, of course, but given some of the other things that GW has proudly proclaimed they do or don't do (such as "market research in a niche is pointless"), I would not be in the least bit surprised if that was actually the case.

For being a corporate store, they apparently give the managers a great deal of freedom in terms of management style. They have a few very strict rules such as "no non-GW models/games," "only use our authorized soundtrack CD that plays the creepy clown music," "follow our general planogram," and "don't set the place on fire." Otherwise they generally let the manager do their own thing, understanding that the survival of their position is based on their sales performance. They occasionally have upper-management swing by to check in and give suggestions, but the suggestions are only that and the manager doesn't really have to follow them if they dislike it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Edit: wrong thread

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 29, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Check dat sweet lens flare!

Work in progress image of my Knight - The Bane of the Treacherous

Sorted the colour scheme before that lame-rear end forgotten Knight came in.

Working on the base at the moment. Gonna seal the sand on with PVA, do the drybrushing, then affix a crashed sentinel painted in my IG colours. I'll post more pictures when its fully finished, but I just liked how it was looking while doing the basing.

EDIT: Yes I know its feet are covered in sand, I'll be able to remove it easily once its all dried.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

When I worked at the Oxford store, we had the biggest number of staff in the area and so would often be asked to cover the one man stores if people were going to be away for holiday/training etc.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Does anyone feel like ranking and describing, on a spectrum from poor to awful, the following Chaos units?:

Raptors
Warp Talons
Maulerfiend
Forgefiend
Defiler
Helbrute
Terminators
Chosen

I have a friend who played Chaos who I'm trying to lure back in, and I'd like to help him avoid nasty surprises. Our group tends to use a lot of terrain, for what it's worth.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PierreTheMime posted:

For being a corporate store, they apparently give the managers a great deal of freedom in terms of management style. They have a few very strict rules such as "no non-GW models/games," "only use our authorized soundtrack CD that plays the creepy clown music," "follow our general planogram," and "don't set the place on fire." Otherwise they generally let the manager do their own thing, understanding that the survival of their position is based on their sales performance. They occasionally have upper-management swing by to check in and give suggestions, but the suggestions are only that and the manager doesn't really have to follow them if they dislike it.

I don't know if I'd trust the word of the same guy who said that buying Stalker side plates on ebay was "ripping me off".

I know you like Clay, but that dude is *party line*.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Sulecrist posted:

Does anyone feel like ranking and describing, on a spectrum from poor to awful, the following Chaos units?:

Raptors
Warp Talons
Maulerfiend
Forgefiend
Defiler
Helbrute
Terminators
Chosen

I have a friend who played Chaos who I'm trying to lure back in, and I'd like to help him avoid nasty surprises. Our group tends to use a lot of terrain, for what it's worth.

Well the Maulerfiend shouldn't be on that list because it's loving awesome.

I'd put it

Warp Talons
Chosen
Raptors
Forgefiend
Defiler
Helbrute
Terminators
Maulerfiend

For a ranking of worst to best.

Also, Warhammer 40,000: Small, jewel-like objects of magic and wonder

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/07/leaks-more-white-dwarf-images.html?m=1#sthash.AOp6WpuK.gbpl

6 str 7 ap2 attacks with shred, master crafted, rage and rampage? For 135 pts that seems seriously good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If it has rampage that's actually more attacks than that I think.

It should be

+2
+ Rampage

Not sure if it get's an additional attack due its weapons or if it's included in the profile.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Murderfang is equipped with The Murderclaws. Of course.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fuegan posted:

Simultaneous the best and worst name GW has ever come up with.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Simultaneous the best and worst name GW has ever come up with.

Yeah. "Muderfang" with "murderclaws" is terrible, but at the same kind it's amazing.

I find myself rather wanting to paint one of these new dreads, even though I have no intention of ever playing Spehss Mehrens.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 29, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hollismason posted:

I'd put it

Warp Talons
Chosen
Raptors
Forgefiend
Defiler
Helbrute
Terminators
Maulerfiend

I thought the Maulerfiend (the melee one?) had a reputation for being beautiful and terrible and the Forgefiend (the gun one?) had a reputation for being less beautiful and less terrible. Maybe I misunderstood.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Fuegan posted:

Don't forget that Murderfang sates his Murderlust with his Murderclaws!

I'm just awaiting the first conversion with this over the sarcophagus.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

PierreTheMime posted:

I stopped by to grab some paints the other day (mistake) and they were playing an Audiobook, so that was a first.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sulecrist posted:

I thought the Maulerfiend (the melee one?) had a reputation for being beautiful and terrible and the Forgefiend (the gun one?) had a reputation for being less beautiful and less terrible. Maybe I misunderstood.

Maulerfiends are really good at what they do, which is wreck buildings and vehicles. They are fast and relatively tough, especially with the 5+ Inv. save. If you get them into any other kind of combat they will get tar-pitted just like any other Walker, occasionally getting one-shotted by Powerfists/Meltabombs/etc. For 125pts they are a fun pick. Not especially competitive, but if your opponent underestimates it it can run wild on their tanks.

ShineDog posted:

I stopped by to grab some paints the other day (mistake) and they were playing an Audiobook, so that was a first.
My manager prays for thunderstorms and other apocalyptic Florida weather so he can play local rock stations under the auspices of "listening for weather reports."

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I noticed the GW store at London's Brent Cross had closed down. Any idea when that actually closed down? I used to pass by that store every now and then, but didn't visit for a year or so.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

uncleKitchener posted:

I noticed the GW store at London's Brent Cross had closed down. Any idea when that actually closed down? I used to pass by that store every now and then, but didn't visit for a year or so.

Expensive rent and wasnt making money. It was closed and they opened 2 one man stores in adjacent areas.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
As for there being more GW stores in the UK than in the US, I think that's because the US is a lot heavier on independent retailers. For instance, in Boston, which is one of the bigger cities on the East coast, we don't have a single GW store. The closest one is about 100 miles away. We have three independent retailers that are all varying degrees of lovely, but no GW stores. I think there was one a few years ago, but that was before I came here.

Also the Murderfang has taken the place of my previous favorite usage of that word, which was in the Chaos Space Marines codex. The Murder Sword with the special rule: Murder.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

As for there being more GW stores in the UK than in the US, I think that's because the US is a lot heavier on independent retailers. For instance, in Boston, which is one of the bigger cities on the East coast, we don't have a single GW store. The closest one is about 100 miles away. We have three independent retailers that are all varying degrees of lovely, but no GW stores. I think there was one a few years ago, but that was before I came here.

Also the Murderfang has taken the place of my previous favorite usage of that word, which was in the Chaos Space Marines codex. The Murder Sword with the special rule: Murder.

Will the murder talons have the special rule: murder?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Has anybody pre-ordered the Legion Firedrakes and mind taking photos of the sprues for me when they arrive? I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to give them combi-weapons.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
GW have the same mentality as dethklok when it comes to naming poo poo

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Will the murder talons have the special rule: murder?

Leaked page of the rules:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Sulecrist posted:

They're both actually pretty good. Forgefiend is the best anti-air Chaos has, and the Maulerfiend is way faster than people are prepared for (ie how a cc dread should actually work), and they both have invuls.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Post 9-11 User posted:

Leaked page of the rules:

I raided ICC way too much, because all I can do it read that sign in Lord Marrowgar's voice.

Edit:
Repainted an old Zoanthrope:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 29, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

I'd put it

Warp Talons
Chosen
Raptors
Forgefiend
Defiler
Helbrute
Terminators
Maulerfiend

I'd rank them, worst to best, as:

Warp Talons
Defiler
Helbrute
Chosen
Forgefiend
Raptors
Terminators
Maulerfiend

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just picked up a Defiler for cheap on ebay...I know it's not 'good' but should be fun to magnetize, paint up and use.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lord Twisted posted:

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/07/leaks-more-white-dwarf-images.html?m=1#sthash.AOp6WpuK.gbpl

6 str 7 ap2 attacks with shred, master crafted, rage and rampage? For 135 pts that seems seriously good.

Ha, the Murderclaws aren't listed under wargear. Watch some sperglord argue that it doesn't have them and thus, can't use them.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Has anybody pre-ordered the Legion Firedrakes and mind taking photos of the sprues for me when they arrive? I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to give them combi-weapons.

I've got some on the way. I'll try and remember to do this before excitedly building them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd rank them, worst to best, as:

Warp Talons
Defiler
Helbrute
Chosen
Forgefiend
Raptors
Terminators
Maulerfiend
The badness of Warp Talons can not be overstated.

Slimnoid posted:

Ha, the Murderclaws aren't listed under wargear. Watch some sperglord argue that it doesn't have them and thus, can't use them.
It's listed exactly like any other special characters. They just have a "Relics" box somewhere showing off their fancy gear while their regular stuff just gets listed under "Wargear"

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Safety Factor posted:

The badness of Warp Talons can not be overstated.

It's listed exactly like any other special characters. They just have a "Relics" box somewhere showing off their fancy gear while their regular stuff just gets listed under "Wargear"

Yeah Snikrot is the same way with his knives.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
stop the presses the lord of macragge has to fight at s4 ap 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Leaked photo of Iron Priest special character. Rumor has it it's called the Frostmurder Cannon.

• Locked thread