Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can also just grab an xbox controller+dongle/wire or ps3/4 + bluetooth instead of using NVIDIA's controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nobody should ever play War Thunder in public

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm still waiting for a low cost Steam streaming device ala Chromecast.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Gyshall posted:

I'm still waiting for a low cost Steam streaming device ala Chromecast.

You (sorta) can already, using Nvidia Limelight and a Raspberry Pi:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/limelight-who-needs-a-steam-machine-when-you-have-a-pi/

Still quite limited for the moment, but who says it won't get improved?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah man, saw that - I'm curious how to get that working with a 360 controller and so on.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Other than Starsector, what other games are like Mount & Blade (larger strategy bits combined with real time battles)? I'd prefer stuff with RPG progression bits as well.

Maybe the Total War series?

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Who was it that said in this thread a few years ago that Assassin's Creed 2 overstays its welcome? Dude, you were right.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ZergFluid posted:

Who was it that said in this thread a few years ago that Assassin's Creed 2 overstays its welcome? Dude, you were right.

Everyone ever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The problem is that the PC version forces the DLC on you and the DLC content isn't nearly as good as the rest of the game. I played it on 360 when it first came out and thought it flowed rather well and went on for exactly as long as it should have.

IIRC, the DLC content is the stuff after you get introduced to machiavelli and some other peeps, and goes on until you go to rome for the final mission. There was just a big fat time skip in the original game in place of that stuff but eh, it was still better that way. Also, I'd recommend not doing any of the side content/collectable stuff aside from the glyphs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The problem is that the PC version forces the DLC on you and the DLC content isn't nearly as good as the rest of the game. I played it on 360 when it first came out and thought it flowed rather well and went on for exactly as long as it should have.

IIRC, the DLC content is the stuff after you get introduced to machiavelli and some other peeps, and goes on until you go to rome for the final mission. There was just a big fat time skip in the original game in place of that stuff but eh, it was still better that way. Also, I'd recommend not doing any of the side content/collectable stuff aside from the glyphs.

It's not so much that the DLC isn't as good as the rest of the game, but that it completely kills the momentum when you're about to wrap it up by throwing a series of lengthy and boring missions at you.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Can one of you nerds recommend a usb mic? Clipon would be super cool. I don't want to use a full headset as I have nice music headphones already.

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.
I got an Xbox One controller for my PC despite its ridiculous price and I absolutely love it. I'm eagerly awaiting being able to use it wirelessly, if that will ever happen.

Anybody know if or when Microsoft will release a PC dongle? How long did it take them to release a dongle for Xbox 360 controllers? Google hasn't been very helpful.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
afaik microsoft never sold just a wireless dongle for the PC, you had to buy it with a brand new controller. this was stupid because a wired 360 controller works in windows without any special drives

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.

notZaar posted:

afaik microsoft never sold just a wireless dongle for the PC, you had to buy it with a brand new controller. this was stupid because a wired 360 controller works in windows without any special drives

That's pretty lame but I probably wouldn't mind having a second controller by the time they release the dongle anyway.

Either way, how long can I expect to wait for them to release that or do they have any plans at all for it?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

notZaar posted:

There are a few wireless adapters around for the wireless 360 controller, but I believe they're all third party. I think this is the one I ordered and it has worked perfectly fine for the year and a half I've had it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm wondering if the 360 dongle I have will work with an Xbox One pad. I may not buy one though, it felt weirdly small in my hands at the store display. The 360 pad is the perfect size for me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm wondering if the 360 dongle I have will work with an Xbox One pad. I may not buy one though, it felt weirdly small in my hands at the store display. The 360 pad is the perfect size for me.

Not yet, no timeline either when the drivers for the xbone pad will be released.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Assassin's Creed 2 was so much fun when I first started playing. And then there is a part where you drive a lovely physics cart with horses instead of stabbing people in Italy and I stopped playing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

madpanda posted:

Can one of you nerds recommend a usb mic? Clipon would be super cool. I don't want to use a full headset as I have nice music headphones already.

Modmic clips onto your headphones but is not usb

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ColHannibal posted:

Not yet, no timeline either when the drivers for the xbone pad will be released.

God drat, Microsoft has the number one PC gaming accessory on their hands and they just don't care about pushing their newest iteration? That's embarrassing.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Gyshall posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 was so much fun when I first started playing. And then there is a part where you drive a lovely physics cart with horses instead of stabbing people in Italy and I stopped playing.

Almost five years later and I'm still frustrated by that bullshit part.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You can currently use the Xbone gamepad on a PC as long as you wire it with a micro-usb cable.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/xbox-one-pc-drivers-for-xbox-one-controller

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Gyshall posted:

You're wrong.
Though there is a racing side mission where if you win Ezio fucks a peasant lady.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

For a short time they actually did sell it as a separate item. Then they had started bundling it with controllers only because clearly if you are buying the dongle, you need a controller as well? :shrug:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Coughing Hobo posted:

You can currently use the Xbone gamepad on a PC as long as you wire it with a micro-usb cable.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/xbox-one-pc-drivers-for-xbox-one-controller

I play with an XBone controller. It is pretty much exactly like the 360 controller except with a less lovely D-pad.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

LLJKSiLk posted:

It is pretty much exactly like the 360 controller except with a less lovely D-pad.

The sticks are kind of weird, though. Maybe the demo unit I tried was messed up from lots of people using it, but the sticks felt taller, looser, and just not really all that responsive.

Certainly not $100 million in improvements over the 360 pad.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That would happen when sticks get worn out.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Mill Village posted:

That would happen when sticks get worn out.

Except for the taller part, sure, but fair enough.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My wired 360 Microsoft controller crapped out. I've done everything I could to fix it. I happen to have two so I switched the USB connectors out, swapped controllers, changed USB ports, restarted, installed drivers, uninstalled drivers, reinstalled drivers, restarted.

When I go to devices and printers, the controller shows up just fine. When I go to hardware the controller shows up just fine. When I go to calibration in devices and printers it shows my inputs just fine. When I go to anything but that absolutely no input is detected.

The gently caress's up with my controller? Microsoft's fixit tool was useless and so were the topics I found for people with the same problem. Obviously I can't just go out and buy a new one since I already tried using a different one.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Robo Reagan posted:

My wired 360 Microsoft controller crapped out. I've done everything I could to fix it. I happen to have two so I switched the USB connectors out, swapped controllers, changed USB ports, restarted, installed drivers, uninstalled drivers, reinstalled drivers, restarted.

When I go to devices and printers, the controller shows up just fine. When I go to hardware the controller shows up just fine. When I go to calibration in devices and printers it shows my inputs just fine. When I go to anything but that absolutely no input is detected.

The gently caress's up with my controller? Microsoft's fixit tool was useless and so were the topics I found for people with the same problem. Obviously I can't just go out and buy a new one since I already tried using a different one.

Are you sure it's registering as controller #1? Some devices will install drivers that reserve a virtual controller spot (my Belkin n52te, for example) that may take up your first player spot, depending on a given game's controller handling. Dark Souls 2 notably had that problem, and I'm not sure if they ever got around to fixing it.

If you have any other devices like that, try to track down the offending HID in the device manager and temporarily disable it. It may take some guesswork: labeling isn't a priority and a given device may have several entries (I know of 3 associated with my n52te, one of which--the offending one as it turns out--is unlabeled).

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Male Man posted:

Are you sure it's registering as controller #1? Some devices will install drivers that reserve a virtual controller spot (my Belkin n52te, for example) that may take up your first player spot, depending on a given game's controller handling. Dark Souls 2 notably had that problem, and I'm not sure if they ever got around to fixing it.

If you have any other devices like that, try to track down the offending HID in the device manager and temporarily disable it. It may take some guesswork: labeling isn't a priority and a given device may have several entries (I know of 3 associated with my n52te, one of which--the offending one as it turns out--is unlabeled).

Ah, good cool. Looks like PPJoy got jealous that I wasn't using it and decided to have a hostile takeover after a lag spike for some reason.

Thanks!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I very, very intensely loathe the 360 controller. Mainly as my primary use for gamepads is old school/fighting games where I need a d-pad, so of course the playstation controller is king. I have one of those generic adapters and that's fine but there's always a bit of loving around to get it working right. I spotted a knock off PS3 controller at Walmart for $20 that runs on batteries, I know it wont be as seamless as using the 360 pad, but with a USB dongle included shouldn't this plug and play without too much trouble? Or are there any made-for-PC alternatives besides that clunky Logitech thing?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If I were you, I would find out exactly the name of the controller and then google something about using it for PC. If people are having issues, I would advise to just stay away because eventually you will have issues too.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

I very, very intensely loathe the 360 controller. Mainly as my primary use for gamepads is old school/fighting games where I need a d-pad, so of course the playstation controller is king. I have one of those generic adapters and that's fine but there's always a bit of loving around to get it working right. I spotted a knock off PS3 controller at Walmart for $20 that runs on batteries, I know it wont be as seamless as using the 360 pad, but with a USB dongle included shouldn't this plug and play without too much trouble? Or are there any made-for-PC alternatives besides that clunky Logitech thing?

Getting the DualShock 4 working on PC is very simple, although it does need a community-made driver it works pretty much seamlessly, and if you have a bluetooth adapter it works wirelessly too.

Edit: also the community driver makes it look like a 360 controller to games, so it works with pretty much everything.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm not sure if it's just me but I use DS4Tool and sometimes it would require me to stop/start the server application, remove/put back the bluetooth dongle, start/stop the server, before working.
Maybe I should get another bluetooth dongle, but as far as I know, it's not THAT seamless, but it's quite alright.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Or you can just get a xbone pad, install the official drivers and play without issues, always wired, but as official as the 360 one with a better d-pad.

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Or you can just get a xbone pad, install the official drivers and play without issues, always wired, but as official as the 360 one with a better d-pad.

Wired I've never had any issues with the DS4. Bluetooth can be pretty hit or miss with all the various Bluetooth adapters of dubious quality , I just grabbed a USB extension cord having a super-long cable makes it a non-issue.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The PS4 pad works great on the PC with DS4Tool, but one thing about the pad puzzles me. Why does it drain the battery if you leave it plugged into your PC while the PC is off? I've noticed that if I leave it plugged in overnight, the battery is usually at 20% or so when I start it the next day, but if I unplug the pad it retains the battery level it had before turning off the PC. It seems backwards considering I can charge my cellphone by keeping it plugged to the PC while it's off.

It's not a huge deal I suppose, but I'm assuming that this is going to wear out the battery in the DS4 quite fast as it drains the battery almost completely every single day whether I've used it or not. I need to start remembering to unplug it.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 9, 2014

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

AG3 posted:

The PS4 pad works great on the PC with DS4Tool, but one thing about the pad puzzles me. Why does it drain the battery if you leave it plugged into your PC while the PC is off? I've noticed that if I leave it plugged in overnight, the battery is usually at 20% or so when I start it the next day, but if I unplug the pad it retains the battery level it had before turning off the PC. It seems backwards considering I can charge my cellphone by keeping it plugged to the PC while it's off.

It's not a huge deal I suppose, but I'm assuming that this is going to wear out the battery in the DS4 quite fast as it drains the battery almost completely every single day whether I've used it or not. I need to start remembering to unplug it.

It sounds like the USB port you're using isn't providing enough power. I use a DS4 wirelessly but keep it on all the time (and charge on a cradle), but even when wired, connected to my external hub, it doesn't drain overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I recently put together a new system that has an Intel Core i5 in it. It's a quad core processor running at 3.2 GHZ. I had to upgrade because Wolfenstein: The New Order was giving me issues on my old system which was equipped with an AMD Phenom II X4 955, which also has the same amount of cores and GHZ, yet it ran slower. Granted I got the Phenom back in 2011, but I'm kinda puzzled on why one CPU with the same specs vastly outperforms a slightly older one with roughly the same specs. Is there something fancy going on in Intel processors or does AMD just plain suck?

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 9, 2014

• Locked thread