Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Remind me, you do at least own the welding rigs, right? If not, that's even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I own the torch I use and a lot of the fancy stuff.

SURE AM GLAD I JUST BOUGHT THIS JETTA.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Looks like I have an interview welding dumb-ol gas turbines. Just what I didn't want!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ultimateforce posted:

Looks like I have an interview welding dumb-ol gas turbines. Just what I didn't want!

If it pays the bills and lets you save up money to do what you really want, then it IS what you really want.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Dude there is a time when you have to flat out say, it is what it is, and move on. Get a solid welding job, bust out manifolds on the side for people on CL or Facebook, drive the jetta into the ground, save money, dip to Columbia, weld cages for druglord jeeps.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Did the first interview over the phone, tried really hard not to point out all my Instagram followers.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So this might be an ignorant question but what's stopping you from joining a local pipefitters union? Those guys make drat good money around here.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

So this might be an ignorant question but what's stopping you from joining a local pipefitters union? Those guys make drat good money around here.

I don't do arc welding.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also lol unions in Florida. Right-to-work, my rear end.

(UF I know you're in one, i mean more generally)

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

UF that sucks that you got laid off. Do you have any savings or emergency funds?

I think you ought to take this situation as a wake up call to get your finances into better shape. I love seeing the stuff you fabricate, but holy poo poo you make some terrible financial decisions.

Make a thread in BFC and we can get your budget figured out so you actually start saving for the future. I wouldn't bother posting it if I thought you were beyond help.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I have savings.

I'm all ears to hear about the stuff I waste money on though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ultimateforce posted:

(somebodysayJettasomebodysayJetta)

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The Jetta my girlfriend drives. :smith:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

I have savings.

Post your last few months of expenditures and I'd be happy to.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Sure, I'll get right on giving out my personal finances on this forum. Back in 10.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
1. DMD
2. DMD
3. DMD
4. Drift parts for a ... mustang
5. Trail Mix
6. Tacos
7-367. VW Interior / Electrical
368-1849. Student Loan Payments (separate lenders)
1850. DMD

Jokes aside, sorry man. Maybe this is a sign that working on parts for a car with a dwindling following isn't the best business model. You should really consider the advice everyone has given over multiple threads that you should find a boring job that pays so you can gently caress around at home on poo poo you really want to do instead of loving around all day on cool cars for a few months til the rug is pulled out from under you and your hard work. Or just stay in the car scene. Either one works. I'd still read your threads if they were pictures of nice welds on turbines interspersed with your own projects.

E: To account for accuracy in UF's diet.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 29, 2014

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I have changed from burritos to tacos. This has been a big switch up for me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tijuana Farts crunchy tacos are the poo poo. I put their salsa on top then douse it in sweet chili sauce and it's taco heaven. Soft tacos are for pussies.

Taco Tuesday supremacy.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

http://www.hitachipowersystems.us/

Job interview tomorrow at 10:30am on my birthday. Is that lucky or unlucky?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ultimateforce posted:

I have savings.

How quickly will you burn through your savings with your current DMD and trailmix intake?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Seeing as how that company will probably not go out of business nor require you to invest a bunch of personal time and money in it : Lucky.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Looks like a place to make bank as a welder to me. I seem to have good luck getting offers following interviews (by my count about 80% of my in-person interviews have resulted in offers), so I'll offer a little bit of advice that has helped me. I try to go in as relaxed as possible, because getting all worked-up and nervous makes you seem unnatural and uncomfortable when they ask you questions. When you go in nervous and uptight, you'll end up stammering when they ask you a tough question or something. I'm a talkative person by nature and can strike up a conversation with pretty much anyone about anything, so that kinda works in my favor when it comes to interviews. If you're more reserved and not so outgoing, just take a second before the interview to close your eyes, take a couple of deep breaths and loosen up. You can help yourself out by preparing answers to the common interview questions like "tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker" or "what is your greatest strength/weakness" and so on. Not having to stop and think about answering those kinds of questions will eliminate awkward silences/stammering and make things flow more like a conversation instead of an interrogation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good advice right there. Also don't wear skinny jeans to a job interview.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Wait, Hitachi power systems? You're going to be soldering connections on magic wands aren't you? Godspeed sir.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

leica posted:

My work jeans are ~slim fit~.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

leica posted:

This. The job and company seem to indicate a nice button-down shirt and nice khakis or slacks for attire. A suit would be too much and would increase the uncomfortable factor greatly. It wouldn't hurt to ask whoever contacted you for the interview about attire if you're unsure.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Talked to the HR guy he told me to be ready to weld, and dress in whatever I usually do. No one's expecting me to dress up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Go in and tell them that you weld naked.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Hopefully the interview goes (went?) well! Good luck!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Or in a three piece suit.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I wonder if his lack of gloves in TIG work might be a safety issue at a place that has an actual HR and H&S policies in place.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Trip report, H&M: Nothing I like fits.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Sockington posted:

I wonder if his lack of gloves in TIG work might be a safety issue at a place that has an actual HR and H&S policies in place.

Good point. Whatever the Health and Safety policies may be, just play ball and follow their rules. Speaking as someone that works in Environmental, Health, and Safety, the rules are there for a reason and you will be shown the door in short order if you don't play ball.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I can NOT find button up shirts that fit my Goon body. The girlfriend told me to wear a "nice" t-shirt I got from H&M today. I plan on wearing a welding jacket anyway.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ultimateforce posted:

http://www.hitachipowersystems.us/

Job interview tomorrow at 10:30am on my birthday. Is that lucky or unlucky?

Happy birthday dude. I turn 30 tomorrow.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Happy birthday a day ahead of time, and good luck on the interview man!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
If you are going to be welding on turbine blades, that would be fantastic for you. I hear those guys rake in money and can get whatever overtime they want. You have to be a very skilled welder for that kind of work.

One of the best things to do for an interview is to practice Superman poses for a few minutes before you go in.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Seriously what everyone else here is saying- A job thats boring but allows you to save bank to achieve what YOU want is worth the pain- My works outdoors in all weather, either on fire or not, pays pretty myeh and its often quite repeditive, but its allowed me to save up enough to buy a house and I just took the last 5 weeks off on full paid Annual leave, with enough leave left over for another month off when my house starts to get built in the next month or so.

It also means I can afford to tinker on cars on the weekend without having to worry if i can afford to eat next week!

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Welding Nickel alloys is pretty fuckin cool in a different way than manifolds. Good luck in your interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Passed the visual test and in-person interview. I will be called back for another test Monday.

• Locked thread