Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

My birthday gift finally arrived. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

gonna build this today, worried about messing it up

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
This is my new favorite thread.

I used to build Gunpla about 10 years ago, but for whatever reason, when I started highschool I decided to just throw out my relatively large collection of models. I guess I thought it was too nerdy. One of my friends just got me back into it, since her boss just got her back into it.

I ordered this Maxter yesterday because maxter is the best, but I just realized it doesn't say model anywhere in the description. Did I gently caress up and buy a toy instead of a gunpla?

Edit: VVVV Sweet thanks!

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 29, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

peeNamaste posted:

I ordered this Maxter yesterday because maxter is the best, but I just realized it doesn't say model anywhere in the description. Did I gently caress up and buy a toy instead of a gunpla?
Nope you bought a really oldskool HG, for better or for worse. :v:

Weird question: I'm trying to fill up my HLJ order a bit, seeing as shopping will be high anyway.
Any cool (semi cheap) must have gunpla/mecha in general stuff you guys know off. I couldn't find the colony drop phone stand unfortunately. :v:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 29, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nope, that's definitely an old 1/144 No Grade Maxter. Strap yourself in for that kit, it's gonna be a doozy. It wasn't until rather recently that Bandai got their HG line together, and old no grade kits are stunningly bad in comparison to even a bunch of early HGs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

peeNamaste posted:

Congrats on getting back into Gunpla, but you wasted 9 dollars.

Edit: When you want to try more G Gundam kits, make sure they are the newer ones. They're easy to tell because they'll have "HGFC" branding and have boxarts like this: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN963118/

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 29, 2014

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

peeNamaste posted:

This is my new favorite thread.

I used to build Gunpla about 10 years ago, but for whatever reason, when I started highschool I decided to just throw out my relatively large collection of models. I guess I thought it was too nerdy. One of my friends just got me back into it, since her boss just got her back into it.

Looks like a model kit, they have only 3 colors and may or may not have stickers. They had good articulation for the time, but you should pick up an F91 or one of the newest kits and see how far bandai have come, its very impressive.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm thinking about getting my first Gundam model, largely just because they look awesome and I like building stuff. I've not actually seen much of the Gundam anime.

I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, preferably with no huge flaws in the design that are going to catch me off guard as a relative beginner. I've heard that I should stick to something relatively recent if possible.

I'm thinking about the Bandai #116 MSN-06S Sinanju 144 HGUC, Bandai #05 Freedom Gundam 1/144 Real Grade, or Bandai Hobby #59 HG Gundam Gold Frame Astray Amatu Mina Model Kit to start out with.

Will any of these be OK, or is there any specific weirdness that I should try to stay away from? I'm leaning heavily towards the Sinanju, just because I think he looks awesome.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

HairSlut posted:

Looks like a model kit, they have only 3 colors and may or may not have stickers. They had good articulation for the time, but you should pick up an F91 or one of the newest kits and see how far bandai have come, its very impressive.

I intend to make some newer sexier ones soon, I just picked this one because:
1. I have no money atm
2. I love maxter
3. It's one of the ones I had as a kid

And it's not a waste of 9 dollars because he's gonna be my desk buddy at work :colbert:

Edit: Is there some newer, better quality Maxter that I somehow missed? On the sites linked in the OP all the G Gundam models were pretty much like this.

Edit2: Just saw Taurus' edit. I'll go for the good poo poo next time. Thanks!

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 29, 2014

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

Nope, that's definitely an old 1/144 No Grade Maxter. Strap yourself in for that kit, it's gonna be a doozy. It wasn't until rather recently that Bandai got their HG line together, and old no grade kits are stunningly bad in comparison to even a bunch of early HGs.

And the no-grade G kits are the worst. And I'm working my way through the set of them :negative:

The No-grade G kits have horrible color separation, and not nearly enough stickers to make up for it. They have less pieces than the No-grade Wing and X kits. Often the entire torso is two pieces, for example. Additionally, Maxter in particular can't do his gimmick at all. At least, not without purchasing the upgrade parts set. And you can forget about posing; all the old NG kits have pretty much exactly the same articulation because they have the exact same joints and polycap runner.

Basically, if you want an old no-grade kit to not look horrible, you have to paint it. On a related note, they make great masking practice! And seam line removal practice if you have the patience for it (I don't).

EDIT ^^^^ No, there isn't a good version of Maxter. That's the travesty of the whole thing; excepting a handful of suits, the vast majority of the NG kits from the 90's (G through Turn A, specifically) have no HG version. Yes, there were some 1/100 HG kits of the same line, but those don't really warrant the HG classification they got.

Also, the lack of a Leo kit. That's a travesty, too.

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 29, 2014

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Substandard posted:

I'm thinking about getting my first Gundam model, largely just because they look awesome and I like building stuff. I've not actually seen much of the Gundam anime.

I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, preferably with no huge flaws in the design that are going to catch me off guard as a relative beginner. I've heard that I should stick to something relatively recent if possible.

I'm thinking about the Bandai #116 MSN-06S Sinanju 144 HGUC, Bandai #05 Freedom Gundam 1/144 Real Grade, or Bandai Hobby #59 HG Gundam Gold Frame Astray Amatu Mina Model Kit to start out with.

Will any of these be OK, or is there any specific weirdness that I should try to stay away from? I'm leaning heavily towards the Sinanju, just because I think he looks awesome.

Basically any mid-price high grade would be a great place to start, a lot of them in the last couple of years also come with a ton of accessories compared to the older HGs. Some cheap ones like the GM or Gouf might be boring, due to their simplicity, for a starter. Real grades have a lot of complexity and can be frustrating (gently caress you RG Zeta) so I wouldn't recommend one over a MG honestly. I haven't built a HG Sinanju but I'm sure it's a good kit.

Also, not to toot my horn too much but some people seem to be looking for kits to start with or to expand collections and I still have a bunch of kits left in my thread.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The only HGFC kits out there are God, Master, Shining, and two variants of Nobel. No Maxter as of yet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
All three of those kits are great. Sinanju is obviously the most sticker heavy of the three since it has all the black and gold trim, but the build itself will give you no trouble.

peeNamaste posted:

Edit: Is there some newer, better quality Maxter that I somehow missed? On the sites linked in the OP all the G Gundam models were pretty much like this.

There's the 1/100 HG Maxter which came out around the same time as the show aired, but other than that your choices for Maxter are limited.

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

The HGUC Sinanju relies heavily on annoying stickers that dont stay on very well,but otherwise is a solid kit, stay away from the RG freedom, RG are already hard to assemble and all those wings cant help, i would recommend something like the HG Age 1 http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Gundam-AGE-1-Normal/dp/B0058KSCU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406656754&sr=8-1&keywords=hg+age+1+normal or HG 00 with all the things http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-00-Raiser-Sword-Scale/dp/B002NE792I/ref=pd_sim_t_27?ie=UTF8&refRID=01D49PBD0H2Z63D23PB9, but if you want it go for it, i personally didnt like the HG sinanju simply because of the stickers, the actual construction is very good, same as almost all of the newer High Grade kits. Or be the cool guy and buy 5 of http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-...ds=HG+twin+ball :allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Substandard posted:

HG 00 Raiser is a good introduction to Bandai models.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

drat Bandai hating Americabot :argh:

As if it weren't bad enough that he's not in Extreme Vs.

I'll stick by my ugly little Maxter til a miracle happens.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

peeNamaste posted:

drat Bandai hating Americabot :argh:

As if it weren't bad enough that he's not in Extreme Vs.

I'll stick by my ugly little Maxter til a miracle happens.

It's not just Maxter. Rose, Dragon, and Bolt have never gotten updated models. G Gundam was a horrible franchise for Bandai in terms of marketing, mainly because the MS designers went out of their way to make the Gundams so wacky in their designs that they were a nightmare for Bandai to try and convert to plastic models. It also didn't help that G Gundam wasn't very accepted at the time of its airing since it shared more in common with the Mazinger franchise then it did with the Gundam franchise.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So I went and bought a Red Frame Astray, 1/100 MG. I don't really know poo poo about anime, I just like building plastic things, and a big samurai robot seems up my alley.

So anyways, I have an airbrush and lots of paint from painting miniatures. I'm 50/50 on whether or not I want to airbrush my kit. Any tips on things I should do IF I decide to add paint to this stuff? It looks ridiculously complex.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
MGs are sort of easier to paint than HGs because they tend to have inner frames which the armor pieces fix to, so you can paint the armor and frames separate and you don't have to worry about gluing and smoothing seamlines as much if you want to paint. If you do decide to paint, you will most likely want to prime it regardless.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not just Maxter. Rose, Dragon, and Bolt have never gotten updated models. G Gundam was a horrible franchise for Bandai in terms of marketing, mainly because the MS designers went out of their way to make the Gundams so wacky in their designs that they were a nightmare for Bandai to try and convert to plastic models. It also didn't help that G Gundam wasn't very accepted at the time of its airing since it shared more in common with the Mazinger franchise then it did with the Gundam franchise.

Yeah I know Maxter isn't the only one left out. Hell, the only G gundams in Extreme Vs. are pretty much the ones there are good models for, with the addition of Spiegel.

I'm hoping for magic for the 25th Anniversary, but not expecting much.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Devil Gundam is stupid as hell but the Death Army having cyborg zombie pilots is straight out of a Megadeth cover and that rules.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Devil Gundam is stupid as hell but the Death Army having cyborg zombie pilots is straight out of a Megadeth cover and that rules.

Hilariously, the Devil Gundam is probably the best no-grade kit in the G line, too!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Suzaku posted:

Hilariously, the Devil Gundam is probably the best no-grade kit in the G line, too!

Yeah but that HG though

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

HairSlut posted:

The HGUC Sinanju relies heavily on annoying stickers that dont stay on very well,but otherwise is a solid kit, stay away from the RG freedom, RG are already hard to assemble and all those wings cant help, i would recommend something like the HG Age 1 http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Gundam-AGE-1-Normal/dp/B0058KSCU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406656754&sr=8-1&keywords=hg+age+1+normal or HG 00 with all the things http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-00-Raiser-Sword-Scale/dp/B002NE792I/ref=pd_sim_t_27?ie=UTF8&refRID=01D49PBD0H2Z63D23PB9, but if you want it go for it, i personally didnt like the HG sinanju simply because of the stickers, the actual construction is very good, same as almost all of the newer High Grade kits.

Midjack posted:

HG 00 Raiser is a good introduction to Bandai models.

Maybe I'll try the HG 00 Raiser first, I really like the look of that kit as well. Thank you all for the input.

I kind of want to see what I think the size of the 1/144 models looks like on my shelf as well. I may go with a 1/100 next time if I feel it's too small, but this will give me something to start with.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Substandard posted:

Maybe I'll try the HG 00 Raiser first, I really like the look of that kit as well. Thank you all for the input.

Just to warn you, there's three different versions of HG 00 Raiser, so make sure you get the version with the GN Sword III.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Wing Gundam Fenice Rinascita will likely release like 3 days after my max length private warehouse on my other order from HLJ. :argh:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arrived! I should have put something else in this for scale:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Just to warn you, there's three different versions of HG 00 Raiser, so make sure you get the version with the GN Sword III.

And one of them is some weird pink 'designer color' one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001P4DFIY?pc_redir=1406547850&robot_redir=1 Amazon mistakenly sent me one instead of what I ordered and let me keep it rather than bother having me send it back... uh thanks but no thanks. Something to practice stuff on I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

And one of them is some weird pink 'designer color' one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001P4DFIY?pc_redir=1406547850&robot_redir=1 Amazon mistakenly sent me one instead of what I ordered and let me keep it rather than bother having me send it back... uh thanks but no thanks. Something to practice stuff on I guess.

I'm pretty sure the pink one is the Trans Am version, the designer color version just has slightly different colors.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

In non-kit news, there's gonna be Figmas of the Guardes from Knights of Sidonia (sans the Tsugumori though), so I guess I can hold off on that Kotobukiya kit now: http://www.plastikitty.com/home/summer-wonfest-2014-max-factorys-knights-of-sidonia-figures

(link may be slightly NSFW)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm pretty sure the pink one is the Trans Am version, the designer color version just has slightly different colors.

Yeah and the color is pink on the feet and around the waist. The one I got is the one I linked.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

HairSlut posted:

gonna build this today, worried about messing it up

Don't gently caress It Up Don't gently caress It Up was my favorite cheer in high school that the cheerleaders would do

Zeether posted:

In non-kit news, there's gonna be Figmas of the Guardes from Knights of Sidonia (sans the Tsugumori though), so I guess I can hold off on that Kotobukiya kit now: http://www.plastikitty.com/home/summer-wonfest-2014-max-factorys-knights-of-sidonia-figures

Gonna get both, and I'm super hype that they're making Benisuzume, not as hyped they're making retard-placenta hoshijiro

Anyway I have gotten all 3 of the HG Customize campaign part 1 sets now, and if anyone has a gattling gun they'd like to trade for one of the others, hit me up.

edit: Oh right it's the Type 18 Guardian anyway, not even the Tsugimori, so it's not like I'm double dipping, like I would do with a Laevatein. Glad I didn't get the Metal of Build of that, though, too expensive.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Zeether posted:

So awesome. I love that series. I hope we get an Izana Figma so I can continue my downward shame spiral.

Speaking of shame spiral...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The 1/100 HG Gundam Maxter is actually a reasonably passable kit given its age, just a notch below the absolute state of the art for the time. There are lots of seam lines to clean up and it's not going to pull any crazy MG-style poses, but the color molding is reasonably complete and the finished model isn't bad-looking. The worst thing about it in my experience is that the hinges for the fighting knuckle gimmick are really flimsy and tricky to fix once they break, but overall it's not terrible.

Bandai did a good job of rescuing the HG brand, considering that as the '90s wore on it seems like they did everything in their power to make it completely worthless.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think the best part of that Devil Gundam model is the description on Amazon. More products should just end their summary with "Whatever."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Substandard posted:

I kind of want to see what I think the size of the 1/144 models looks like on my shelf as well. I may go with a 1/100 next time if I feel it's too small, but this will give me something to start with.

The Strike or Build Strike Gundam is another very good HG kit to start with as well. It's a nice simple design, and it's compatible with just about every single Booster backpack or accessory weapon pack you can think of. If you get the Strike Gundam though, make sure it's the HGCE version. You can tell the difference because the number on the side's something like 170 instead of R01. The R01 version is terrible and old.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

I think the best part of that Devil Gundam model is the description on Amazon. More products should just end their summary with "Whatever."

Oh, wow, that is pretty hilarious. I also love the part where "its feet become a giant Gundam head." yeah...its feet....

E:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The R01 version is terrible and old.

I really wish this would stop. The only measure by which the SEED HGs could be considered "terrible" is that they need paint to be anime-accurate color-wise. And if that's the case, you gotta extend it to even modern HGs. Those stickers are not all that great, and usually still don't cover all the necessary color changes. And bitching about and HG MODEL kit needing paint is a little ridiculous. The parts separation is great, the pieces fit together well, so seam line removal is basic and not difficult, there isn't a ton of masking required at all, the surface detail is solid, and the articulation is more than acceptable.

The only real failure those HGs have is in the proportions, and those are only "bad," and even then it's a case by case basis. Otherwise you'd have to call the majority of the HGUC line poo poo, too.

Yes, the new strike HG is better than the old strike HG, but that's to be expected. Yes, you would want the new one over the old one. But that doesn't make the old kits terrible.

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 30, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Welcome to the internet. We love hyperbole.

You can pretty much replace any instance of "terrible and old" with "not up to modern standards" and you'd get the intended meaning!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Welcome to the internet. We love hyperbole.

You can pretty much replace any instance of "terrible and old" with "not up to modern standards" and you'd get the intended meaning!

It wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't often coupled with "don't buy this!" and a distinct lack of reasoning why. Hell, "not up to modern standards" tells anyone not familiar with what the standards are exactly nothing.

Just...if you're gonna tell someone that something is poo poo, maybe also tell them why in a meaningful way. Only saying "Don't buy any of the first 70-80 HGUCs or any of the other HG's before the 00 line" is dumb and unhelpful, and something that keeps popping up in this thread. The devil, as they say, is in the details. And a fair number of the older HGs are lovely in their own special and unique ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
"Not up to modern standards" implies that it's not as good as newer kits, which does in fact tell a person that a newer kit would be better.

Look man I get that you're annoyed people are making GBS threads on Bandai's old stuff even though they're still way better than other manufacturers in the business, but the fact of the matter is that Bandai's engineering has improved dramatically since the days of HG SEED. If somebody comes in and asks "hey what's a good kit to buy", it is entirely valid to steer them away from the older kits because they're in general not as good.

As far as "should I get this old kit" goes, eeeeh I kind of agree that a "but if you really like the design then go for it, not like you have any other options" should be thrown in to most of this but you have to realize there's a sizable amount of people who are into gunpla, not modeling. Having to paint and seam weld is in fact a deal breaker.

Really the issue is that Bandai has pushed the bar for quality so high that even though a lot of the old stuff is perfectly alright, in comparison they are in fact pretty bad.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 30, 2014

• Locked thread