Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Just got a Wii u with my little bro over the weekend. Any games older games worth picking up on the cheap I might not know about? Is Wii Party U worth it if I need a motion plus controller and think the tablet games look adorable?

Also, I'm pretty sure the pro controller is my dream game controller. The dpad is so loving good. Can't wait until some techno wizards figure out how to make it work with a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure the pro controller is my dream game controller. The dpad is so loving good. Can't wait until some techno wizards figure out how to make it work with a computer.

I used this, which sets it up with Bluetooth and allows it to act as an Xbox 360 controller for the PC or as a generic controller using a switch on the side. This lets it work with the PS3 as well for some reason. Didn't notice any lag playing Saints Row IV, a bunch of indie games, and Bioshock Infinite with it on PC or BlazBlue on PS3.

Caveats: Xbox 360 mode matches the names of the buttons as opposed to position. So when it displays A on the screen it means the A button on the controller even though on the two controllers they're in different locations. Weird to get used to but not uncomfortable. Also, when connected to a PS3, there doesn't appear to be a way to get to the PS3 menu in-game, but the buttons all matched.

There are other solutions involving directly connection via Bluetooth, but I couldn't get it to work without installing a new Bluetooth stack.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 28, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Stan Taylor posted:

Can't wait until some techno wizards figure out how to make it work with a computer.

You're in luck!

EFB

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Tender Bender posted:

Does Wii Sports Club go on sale ever/often? I saw I had a free trial of it and just played an online baseball match. It was pretty fun but the price tag is kind of steep.
It hasn't been on sale and just came out physically but if you only want baseball you could get that and boxing for $10 on the eShop.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
double

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
I don't have a Wii U yet but I'm planning to get one soon and I want to take advantage of the MK8 free game offer by buying that ahead of time. Am I going to run into problems redeeming the free game that comes with MK8 since I won't have a console by July 31? Can I create a Nintendo network account and redeem it over the internet or will I need a serial number or something?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

A PC Game posted:

I don't have a Wii U yet but I'm planning to get one soon. Am I going to run into problems redeeming the free game that comes with MK8 since I won't have a console by July 31? Can I create a Nintendo network account and redeem it over the internet or will I need a serial number or something?

You just need to make a Club Nintendo account and register the game with the lil insert that's inside of the case.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

A PC Game posted:

I don't have a Wii U yet but I'm planning to get one soon and I want to take advantage of the MK8 free game offer by buying that ahead of time. Am I going to run into problems redeeming the free game that comes with MK8 since I won't have a console by July 31? Can I create a Nintendo network account and redeem it over the internet or will I need a serial number or something?
Buy the game and enter the code on Club Nintendo by 7/31 then you will have until 9/30/14 to redeem it on the system. Full details are here.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm sorry I have to do this guys without reading the thread to find the right bundle but my boss wants to get me a wii u for all the amazing work I've done and he's being super impulsive about it... $400... which store should we go to and what should I buy?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

I'm sorry I have to do this guys without reading the thread to find the right bundle but my boss wants to get me a wii u for all the amazing work I've done and he's being super impulsive about it... $400... which store should we go to and what should I buy?

400 bucks for a financial year's worth of bjs seems a little steep I dunno

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

ethanol posted:

At Target you can get a $25 gift card if you buy the New Super Mario Bros U bundle($299.99). Beyond that get Mario Kart 8 and register it before 7/31 to get one of Windwaker/Wii Party U/Pikmin 3 for free. There aren't a lot of other deals going around right now but you could use the $25 gift card along with the remaining amount you have to spend to get Super Mario 3d World. Or you could just buy the system bundle and get the remaining amount in eShop cards to download the aforementioned games and get extra money back($5 for every $50 spent) on the eShop if you wanted to get a little extra value out of it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ethanol posted:

Go anywhere and buy whatever package comes with the game you like most. Do not get a white one (if you see a Skylanders package, stay away from it), as those are 8GB systems, and you want the Deluxe 32GB system.

If you can find a Mario Kart 8 package, get that one (but all reports have them being sold out for quite some time).

So three rules:
1. Get a black "Deluxe"" version.
2. If you have a choice, just go with the one that has the game you're most likely to enjoy.
3. Unless you find a Mario Kart 8 package. Get that one.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

deafmute posted:

At Target you can get a $25 gift card if you buy the New Super Mario Bros U bundle($299.99). Beyond that get Mario Kart 8 and register it before 7/31 to get one of Windwaker/Wii Party U/Pikmin 3 for free. There aren't a lot of other deals going around right now but you could use the $25 gift card along with the remaining amount you have to spend to get Super Mario 3d World. Or you could just buy the system bundle and get the remaining amount in eShop cards to download the aforementioned games and get extra money back($5 for every $50 spent) on the eShop if you wanted to get a little extra value out of it.

Thanks, I went the target route and got a whole lot of mario

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I picked up Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for less than 10 bucks today. I don't have a drat clue what's going on in this game other than smack the poo poo out of everything that moves. Something about Chinese dudes and Japanese dudes uniting to kill some demon or something. My son and I have played the last couple of hours and it's a lot of fun just killing thousands of enemy while imitating Japanese accents.

Is this style of play what we can expect for this new Zelda game coming out?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hekk posted:

I picked up Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for less than 10 bucks today. I don't have a drat clue what's going on in this game other than smack the poo poo out of everything that moves. Something about Chinese dudes and Japanese dudes uniting to kill some demon or something. My son and I have played the last couple of hours and it's a lot of fun just killing thousands of enemy while imitating Japanese accents.

Yup, play one DW and you have a preeetty good idea on how the others are going to handle outside a few tweaks specific to each version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hekk posted:

It should be very similar although it'll have its own core mechanical differences.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Stan Taylor posted:

Just got a Wii u with my little bro over the weekend. Any games older games worth picking up on the cheap I might not know about? Is Wii Party U worth it if I need a motion plus controller and think the tablet games look adorable?

It's okay, like Mario Party minus Mario. There's a real Mario Party coming at the end of the year if you'd rather wait for that, though.

I'd also recommend Nintendo Land over Wii Party U, too - Best Buy had the Nintendo Land/Wiimote Plus bundle for $30 a few days ago, but I think it's sold out.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
How do the Wii U VC games look on an HDTV? I'm thinking about getting Mega Man 2 just to play around with while I'm winding down for bed. Does it show in 4:3 on an HDTV or does it upconvert?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Its 4:3, appearing as close to original as possible. A lot of people think SNES looks blurry and NES looks great, or maybe the other way around, but it looks fine to me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Wii U outputs everything at 1080p, but it does preserve the aspect on all the VC and Wii games.

It does put some minor filtering on the SNES and NES games, but it looks fine on my TV.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Elliotw2 posted:

The Wii U outputs everything at 1080p, but it does preserve the aspect on all the VC and Wii games.

It does put some minor filtering on the SNES and NES games, but it looks fine on my TV.

I was just playing SNES Super Mario World last night, and my TV is 46". It looks fantastic - you'll have zero complaints.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fremry posted:

How do the Wii U VC games look on an HDTV? I'm thinking about getting Mega Man 2 just to play around with while I'm winding down for bed. Does it show in 4:3 on an HDTV or does it upconvert?

I've only played Earthbound but it looks great in my television (32" 720p). Also if you're winding down for bed, you could always wind down for bed in bed with the gamepad, if your Wii U is close enough. I think Earthbound looks fantastic on the gamepad.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

greatn posted:

Its 4:3, appearing as close to original as possible. A lot of people think SNES looks blurry and NES looks great, or maybe the other way around, but it looks fine to me.

SNES and GBA look great, NES looks off to me.

Not quite sure why that's happening since NES and SNES output resolution is basically the same. Also compare with NES Remix:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

From what I remember, Nintendo's NES emulator applies a filter onto the screen that replicates how the games would look on a CRT instead of giving us a clear and sharp image. That filter is permanently grafted on there and can't be disabled.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

NES games look like the colors are washed out to me. His screenshots look similar.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

From what I remember, Nintendo's NES emulator applies a filter onto the screen that replicates how the games would look on a CRT instead of giving us a clear and sharp image. That filter is permanently grafted on there and can't be disabled.

Seriously? That's the dumbest thing ever. It's like adding pops and hisses to an MP3 because that's what vinyl used to have if you didn't take care of your equipment.

Edit: Uggghhhh, that's so dumb. We spent decades of research and billions upon billions of dollars to create panels whose display exceeds CRT, and now that we have it, Nintendo puts a lovely filter on their games to undo all of that progress.

Edit2: It's bad enough that I'm just not going to buy NES games. If a game I want shows up on Club Nintendo, I'll get it, but beyond that, I'll just emulate them and get the true colors.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 29, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't recall NES games looking not-very-vibrant at all on CRTs. Then again I still own a CRT TV for my older games and it's not even a good one.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I know there's an official Gamecube adapter coming out with Smash, is there any that work now? Don't care if it's 3rd party.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

sba posted:

I know there's an official Gamecube adapter coming out with Smash, is there any that work now? Don't care if it's 3rd party.

There's a Mayflash one that works as a Wiimote extension and takes up the input as a Classic Controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

I have one. It's okay.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

noirstronaut posted:

There's a Mayflash one that works as a Wiimote extension and takes up the input as a Classic Controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

I have one. It's okay.

Cool, thanks!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I wish there was an easier way to play Gamecube games than plug it (or a Wii) into my TV. I can play some N64 games on my Wii U, why not GC? I'd like to play Double Dash, but it'd be a pain to dig out my GC box.

Even though it won't happen, it'd be nice if having the GC controller adapter let you play GC games on the Wii U.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

I wish there was an easier way to play Gamecube games than plug it (or a Wii) into my TV. I can play some N64 games on my Wii U, why not GC? I'd like to play Double Dash, but it'd be a pain to dig out my GC box.

Even though it won't happen, it'd be nice if having the GC controller adapter let you play GC games on the Wii U.

You may be interested in this.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/

You'll still have to dig out your old Wii once, but after that you can lock it away forever and ever.

Edit: VVV Gamepad doesn't work because it communicates over a wireless signal and Wii mode can't read that. Gamepad Pro works perfectly though!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you homebrew the Wii Mode on your Wii U you should be able to play backups. It requires an additional homebrew program (Devolution) and you won't be able to use the Gamepad buttons, I don't think. Unless they've patched that in.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well, hmm. There are ways to make legal backups from a Wii and play them on a Wii U, but you would need to go through the Wii first. It's complicated, but the dev of the software is anti-piracy so the only way to make the games run is to verify ownership through a Wii (since the game needs to be read).

There are other ways, but those are devilish heathens who support piracy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just saw that Samurai Warriors 3 for Wii is on clearance at Best Buy, $6.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samurai-warriors-3-nintendo-wii/1170726.p?id=1218229467108&skuId=1170726&st=categoryid$abcat0706002&lp=43&cp=1

This is the game that features an exclusive mode based on Mysterious Murasame Castle, a game that's received a little buzz lately due to the VC release and Takamaru's appearance in Smash (as an assist trophy).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samurai-warriors-3-nintendo-wii/1170726.p?id=1218229467108&skuId=1170726&st=categoryid$abcat0706002&lp=43&cp=1

This is the game that features an exclusive mode based on Mysterious Murasame Castle, a game that's received a little buzz lately due to the VC release and Takamaru's appearance in Smash (as an assist trophy).

I strongly recommend playing it with a classic controller. The other control schemes just don't work very well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

You may be interested in this.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/

You'll still have to dig out your old Wii once, but after that you can lock it away forever and ever.

Edit: VVV Gamepad doesn't work because it communicates over a wireless signal and Wii mode can't read that. Gamepad Pro works perfectly though!

Is there someway to attach the GBA player to the wii-u yet?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No way that could be price matched, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Is there someway to attach the GBA player to the wii-u yet?

Nope. You're going to have to wait til the game you wanna play hits Wii U VC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Soothing tones summon tornadoes to kill skeletons

Sheik looks like a insanely fun character to use. All the ocarina songs are a nice touch to :allears:

(Should I still be posting these here as well? Figured it would be right)

• Locked thread