Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So if I am a newb playing this, how bad can I gimp myself if I just mess around and have fun? I am trying to be chill and not focus on min/maxing stuff cause I tend to do that in games and burn out fast.

Very little you do in terms of min/maxing is permanent. You can always chill for now and get more into that stuff later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Is DE getting hit with a DDOS again? I can't log in at all.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Now that I am getting up to speed, I am sitting on a level 30 ember, with a level 30 Gorgon, a Hek, the dual rapid fire pistols, (aklis or something) and basically nothing else. Are any of these good or am I better off just aiming for something else? I apparently have the zephyr unlocked as well, but it's level 1.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

Now that I am getting up to speed, I am sitting on a level 30 ember, with a level 30 Gorgon, a Hek, the dual rapid fire pistols, (aklis or something) and basically nothing else. Are any of these good or am I better off just aiming for something else? I apparently have the zephyr unlocked as well, but it's level 1.

The Zephyr costs 600 Oxium to build which takes a lot of farming. How do you do that without realizing it?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Sprecherscrow posted:

The Zephyr costs 600 Oxium to build which takes a lot of farming. How do you do that without realizing it?

I probably spent my remaining plat on it a while back when I thought migration was going in sooner than it actually did.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So I briefly tried this game really early on for PC but didn't get far into it. Now that I got my shiny PS4 and bonus Plus plat I had to try it. Enjoying running around like a lunatic gunning fools and pushing them around with magnetic powers, though I wish I could use Pull on an ally after they fall, that never seems to work. What blueprints are good to buy that I can work on as a new player? There are so many weapons and resources that I simply can't make sense of it. Every blueprint I looked at in the shop has like one resource I've seen and about four or five that I haven't. What can I work toward?

Also, what do I unlock for this primary weapon mastery test that kicked my rear end? The lack of cover really hosed me in that test, every other mission I played I was able to strafe and hide but I just get pounded in there and then welp see you in 24 hours.

Also also, if there's room in the clan or you have friends list space for yelling at a noob my PS4 tag is CrashCatt. No headset yet but I do know where the Place Marker button is and I can follow dots on maps.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CrashCat posted:

So I briefly tried this game really early on for PC but didn't get far into it. Now that I got my shiny PS4 and bonus Plus plat I had to try it. Enjoying running around like a lunatic gunning fools and pushing them around with magnetic powers, though I wish I could use Pull on an ally after they fall, that never seems to work. What blueprints are good to buy that I can work on as a new player? There are so many weapons and resources that I simply can't make sense of it. Every blueprint I looked at in the shop has like one resource I've seen and about four or five that I haven't. What can I work toward?

Also, what do I unlock for this primary weapon mastery test that kicked my rear end? The lack of cover really hosed me in that test, every other mission I played I was able to strafe and hide but I just get pounded in there and then welp see you in 24 hours.

Also also, if there's room in the clan or you have friends list space for yelling at a noob my PS4 tag is CrashCatt. No headset yet but I do know where the Place Marker button is and I can follow dots on maps.

You can upgrade from the MK-1 Braton to the regular Braton for credits (not plat) without building it in the foundry. That's a good second primary. Buff it up a bit and you should be good to go for the test. (I had an easy time with the first few tests because I'd been playing for about a month before I even noticed the experience bar on the menu and had gotten enough experience for my first 3 levels already.)

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

CrashCat posted:

If you don't have the resource availability to make new weapons, focus on unlocking more planets to expand your access. You'll want to clear the board eventually.

Mastery tests have to be passed to raise your mastery rank (don't worry, mastery you earn in the meantime isn't wasted--it'll be rolled into your next level). Most equipment has a mastery rank requirement. The bulk you'll unlock by mastery 4, but I think there are unlocks all the way up to 7. Importantly, mastery 2 is the minimum requirement to start trading. If you're in the clan, let people know when you hit 2; you'll get showered with useful mods. There's a bunch of stuff that's super important to have, hard to get initially, but long term players will have a dozen copies sitting around gathering dust.

As for passing the test, there should be a half dozen pillars you can use as cover. If that's been changed, take a look at your frame mods and see if you can squeeze some more survivability out of them. The enemies are gonna be super low level, so even your starter rifle should be able to take care of them.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Male Man posted:

but I think there are unlocks all the way up to 7.

8 (unlocks Embolist and Dragon Nikana, the latter of which loving rules), and it could always increase in the future.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Thanks. I did buy the Braton right away and I have been fooling around with mods a bunch. I do have a shield capacity increase and recharge increase that I'll use next time. The pillars unfortunately don't help me too much since the enemies just walk around them and endlessly hit me. There's no opportunity to recharge like the normal game. Does the Mag shield thing repair your own shields or only others? I had a hard time telling in the middle of combat. Though I guess even using that once would fail me instantly, correct?

I am working on unlocking all the map points that I can, do I really just have to grind out the whole map before I can try to make anything? It seems like that will take a very, very long time. I was sort of hoping for some blueprint within the first few planets that I could work on. Is there any website that lets you pick a weapon and then shows you which planets to farm? I can of course work that out by hand by looking up each resource but there are so drat many weapons to look through.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Just to be clear, you know you don't have to stay in that center circle right, you are moving around?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CrashCat posted:

Thanks. I did buy the Braton right away and I have been fooling around with mods a bunch. I do have a shield capacity increase and recharge increase that I'll use next time. The pillars unfortunately don't help me too much since the enemies just walk around them and endlessly hit me. There's no opportunity to recharge like the normal game. Does the Mag shield thing repair your own shields or only others? I had a hard time telling in the middle of combat. Though I guess even using that once would fail me instantly, correct?

I am working on unlocking all the map points that I can, do I really just have to grind out the whole map before I can try to make anything? It seems like that will take a very, very long time. I was sort of hoping for some blueprint within the first few planets that I could work on. Is there any website that lets you pick a weapon and then shows you which planets to farm? I can of course work that out by hand by looking up each resource but there are so drat many weapons to look through.

You should have all resources available by the time you reach Saturn, except for Argon Crystals (maybe even those, I think they drop in more places now?)

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
So what's the general goon consensus on this? The title seems pretty telling, but on paper the game seems pretty good.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Apparition posted:

So what's the general goon consensus on this? The title seems pretty telling, but on paper the game seems pretty good.

It's both

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Apparition posted:

It's a good but grindy game that happens to break whenever there's a big patch.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

victrix posted:

Just to be clear, you know you don't have to stay in that center circle right, you are moving around?
I immediately ran out to the furthest pillars on the minimap, but it's just void past that right? Or are there even more pillars that the game just doesn't want to show me? If I could retreat continually I'd probably nail it without trouble but when running backwards around the circle all the stuff in the middle just gets free shots, and if I stay by a pillar poo poo comes up behind me. I guess retreating around the outside is probably the best bet though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sprecherscrow posted:

You should have all resources available by the time you reach Saturn, except for Argon Crystals (maybe even those, I think they drop in more places now?)
So basically get to Earth and fill out every direction from there? I guess that's not so bad, maybe 10-20 missions. If I had to do the whole map before even thinking of building anything I think I'd cry.

Is this still roughly accurate as far as how they link up?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Sprecherscrow posted:

I think bosses drop argon crystals in addition to void missions now.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

YellerBill posted:

Invasions seem to be dropping void resources as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Apparition posted:

So I tried playing a month ago and was kinda overwhelmed after playing the 2 minute tutorial mission and just being spat out into a menu fractal with no direction, but I played the new prologue and I kinda prefer it and feel like I can actually learn things at the right pace now.

That's just from a super new player, though.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I haven't really been paying attention to this game for a few months, but are kubrows really just tamagotchis? I mean, this is DE so terrible designs like this are de rigueur, but yeesh. I might make one just to watch it slowly die, but gently caress them if they think I'm going to soak any amount of time and money into keeping a stupid ninja dog alive.

That said, I like what I've seen of the update so far. I chose to play through the prologue so I'm still muddling through getting access to stuff again, but I like the idea of the ship even if some of the new interfaces are kinda clunky (looking at you, foundry interface where my body blocks the left half of the screen).

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 29, 2014

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
For me, everything is pretty great except the loving mod system, which is janky as gently caress. Also sometimes while doing sweet flips you'll fall through the wall and drop forever :shrug:

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

YellerBill posted:

Crashcat is on the PS4. We still only get ours from the void.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CrashCat posted:

So basically get to Earth and fill out every direction from there? I guess that's not so bad, maybe 10-20 missions. If I had to do the whole map before even thinking of building anything I think I'd cry.

And it's not like you won't be able to build anything until then. There's things that only require resources from Mercury I think, and certainly plenty with just Mercury, Venus, and Earth. I remember first starting out the biggest barrier to forging was Morphics scarcity in the early game. It's not so much a matter of levels unlocked as it is that you have to grind the ones you have out.

Edit: Azran says it two posts down, but I forgot to mention that players can ferry you to levels you haven't unlocked yet and when you beat them they stay unlocked for you after. You could be fighting the boss of Pluto this afternoon if you wanted.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 29, 2014

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
Can't log in, and the warframe boards suggest that some space guild is DDoS'ing the servers to win something. Please tell me there are people out there willing to commit crimes to win at being a video game ninja.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

WeaponBoy posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to this game for a few months, but are kubrows really just tamagotchis? I mean, this is DE so terrible designs like this are de rigueur, but yeesh. I might make one just to watch it slowly die, but gently caress them if they think I'm going to soak any amount of time and money into keeping a stupid ninja dog alive.

That said, I like what I've seen of the update so far. I chose to play through the prologue so I'm still muddling through getting access to stuff again, but I like the idea of the ship even if some of the new interfaces are kinda clunky (looking at you, foundry interface where my body blocks the left half of the screen).

Yeah, dogs are a good idea with terrible implementation. They are a credit sink, they can die permanently and don't even Vacuum poo poo.

YellerBill posted:

IIRC it's just Phorid, and it's supposed to be a bug.

CrashCat posted:

Yup! Or you could just ask a goon to help you get you into resource grinding missions. :v:

CrashCat posted:

I immediately ran out to the furthest pillars on the minimap, but it's just void past that right? Or are there even more pillars that the game just doesn't want to show me? If I could retreat continually I'd probably nail it without trouble but when running backwards around the circle all the stuff in the middle just gets free shots, and if I stay by a pillar poo poo comes up behind me. I guess retreating around the outside is probably the best bet though.

I don't really get how you can be getting destroyed by those enemies. Aren't they level one or something? Don't you have vitality, redirection, or serration on your warframe/weapon?

Apparition posted:

It's a good game, but the dev team is kind of incompetent, even when they have good intentions. They suffer a lot from sunken cost fallacy. If you like stuff like Diablo, give it a shot. The title comes more from self-loathing in the same manner it would apply to Dota, instead of uh, MWO. :v:

Distracted
Jun 9, 2010

Danger Doug posted:

Can't log in, and the warframe boards suggest that some space guild is DDoS'ing the servers to win something. Please tell me there are people out there willing to commit crimes to win at being a video game ninja.

Some alliance took over an area of space & set a 15% tax on it. Pubbies are raging about this & are using it as an excuse to blame said alliance for whatever is wrong with the game right now because they are 'destroying the game'. It would not surprise me at all if it's us doing it. If it isn't then we need to be.

E: This game has a hilarious meta that we should be abusing.

Distracted fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 29, 2014

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I just managed to get in, and even join a goon run for the rubedo alert, but I knocked my ethernet cable out while loading. And now can't get back in. So, my bad there, sorry.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'd participate in taking over space and setting hella high taxes if PvP wasn't an unfun load. It's legit the only thing I don't like about the game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Azran posted:

I don't really get how you can be getting destroyed by those enemies. Aren't they level one or something? Don't you have vitality, redirection, or serration on your warframe/weapon?
I've got a shield capacity increase and a shield recharge increase. Next time it comes up I guess I'll try just going balls out and if that fails I'll wait until I get more mods.

Still feels like there ought to be a better resource out there for listing all this weapon/resource poo poo than individual wiki pages so I'm scrounging around for more. Stumbled on this but it's really just for showing the stats not the recipes: http://dpsframe.com/

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 29, 2014

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Did the servers go down again? I'm getting ERROR_CANNOT_CONNECT_INTERNET like I was getting over the weekend. Need clear Uranus ASAP so I can get plastids.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Paume posted:

Just getting back in to this game (last time I played, the desert tileset was brand new.) and applied for the PC goodsquad.

I don't really remember what I was aiming for with my warframe, or items for that matter. It seems I was in the process of leveling up Twin Gremlins (is that bad?), and leveling a Trinity as well.
Gremlins were okay when they were introduced, but not amazing. Like most full auto secondaries, you run out of ammo a lot against anything tough, and the raw DPS advantage doesn't make up for it vs. other, more accessible lowbie guns like Vastos.

If you get into the clan you can also build a Marelok, which is pretty much a hand cannon.

quote:

I do remember I really liked the look of Frost Prime, but don't remember anything about the grind. Is it an annoying slog to get?
Basically yes on the grind, but prime parts can be traded in dojos now, and there is a trade chat channel in game. Frost Prime isn't the new hotness anymore and his parts should be relatively cheap (maybe 5 to 10p a part) if you still want to build one. Or just ask in clan chat, lots of us have tons of spare prime parts we're too lazy to sell.

quote:

Also, I have noticed that my Dread is doing crazy more damage from what I remember! Did they buff its damage, or just did it change with the damage mechanic overhaul, or both?
They did get buffed a little with Damage 2.0, but there was a much bigger buff to all bows in the weeks following that. They also got a big crit rate buff. Dread and Paris Prime are considered the best bows now, both for raw damage and because they can go over 100% crit rate with mods and get red double crits.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can we still ferry people to missions they don't have unlocked? I'd thought that was done away with for PC, but I saw people asking for taxis in the recruitment channel last night.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

kafziel posted:

I just managed to get in, and even join a goon run for the rubedo alert, but I knocked my ethernet cable out while loading. And now can't get back in. So, my bad there, sorry.

It's cool. Another guy dropped at the same time, so me and the fourth ran along to continue and then I got booted to login halfway in and I was the host, and he said he got disconnected as well. :de:

I wound up hitting solo mode and dashing through it successfully, I didn't even disconnect when I went back to the ship!

hooah posted:

Can we still ferry people to missions they don't have unlocked? I'd thought that was done away with for PC, but I saw people asking for taxis in the recruitment channel last night.

Yeah. It doesn't unlock them the maps like it used to(?) but you can taxi people for alerts just fine.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

So I tried playing a month ago and was kinda overwhelmed after playing the 2 minute tutorial mission and just being spat out into a menu fractal with no direction, but I played the new prologue and I kinda prefer it and feel like I can actually learn things at the right pace now.

That's just from a super new player, though.

Good! It should be more welcoming than HERE YOU GO THERES CARDS YOU PUT IN THE STUFF

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sprecherscrow posted:

Edit: Azran says it two posts down, but I forgot to mention that players can ferry you to levels you haven't unlocked yet and when you beat them they stay unlocked for you after. You could be fighting the boss of Pluto this afternoon if you wanted.

I thought they disabled the node unlock for taxi'd missions?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Kyte posted:

poo poo, apparently they did. Haven't taxi'd anyone since U14.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Kyte posted:

That's completely ridiculous. Just another reason for people to quit early or not even start playing.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

mrEkli posted:

That's completely ridiculous. Just another reason for people to quit early or not even start playing.

It was removing the indicator for active groups on a node that knocked me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Male Man posted:

It was removing the indicator for active groups on a node that knocked me out.

I'm not sure how many people have noticed, but if you hover over a node it'll have a ticker displaying names of people playing in that node. Since you only ever really need 1 or 2 people it's a lot nicer than that old number system which only listed how many groups were playing.