Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

This is $70 a month. gently caress my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Odd, I swore it should be faster than this :v

I'll be switching to Verizon FIOs soon to cut costs IDK if it'll be a improvement.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

CCheshire posted:

Odd, I swore it should be faster than this :v

I'll be switching to Verizon FIOs soon to cut costs IDK if it'll be a improvement.

Prepare for stuttering Youtube and Netflix, unless you got a VPN.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Another Poster posted:

Prepare for stuttering Youtube and Netflix, unless you got a VPN.

Do you mean for Cable or Verizon? I haven't experienced any issues streaming videos atm but it looks very slow from compared to my friend who has the same ISP 65/40.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CCheshire posted:

Do you mean for Cable or Verizon? I haven't experienced any issues streaming videos atm but it looks very slow from compared to my friend who has the same ISP 65/40.

That's slower than every single Optimum connection I've ever seen/used, and I grew up on Long Island, so that would mean every single internet connection around. Definitely call them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

That's slower than every single Optimum connection I've ever seen/used, and I grew up on Long Island, so that would mean every single internet connection around. Definitely call them.

Alright, here we go again with Optimum CS.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Anyone near Chicago deal with AT&T's fiber? Somehow someone I know had Clearwire and now needs to find a good replacement

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Inspector_666 posted:

I think that's their normal tier service, actually.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think that's their normal tier service, actually.

I thought they started at closer to 30 down.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Just a heads up to anyone living in northern California, Comcast finally doubled everyone's speeds as of yesterday. The package changes were:

Performance 25/5 -> 50/10
Blast! 50/10 -> 105/10
Extreme 105/15 -> 150/20

If you didn't get the new speeds, just reboot your modem and it should download the new config file. Doesn't seem to matter which package you are on, everyone I know has been getting it.

Not sure why it picked Portland, because I'm in San Francisco. I was on Blast 50/10 before:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I pay 500 NOK for 50/20 VDSL so this is not too bad.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I thought all of Scandinavia had insanely cheap internet, or is that just sweden.

500 NOK is $87 Canadian

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Methanar posted:

I thought all of Scandinavia had insanely cheap internet, or is that just sweden.

500 NOK is $87 Canadian

That seems reasonable for a fast connection? Then again I can't consistently test higher than 900KB/s download and about 75KB/s upload, and during high usage times the download dips under 500KB/s. Convert to megabits and yeah I have shiternet obviously, but is that considered a high price for what looks to me like very fast internet speeds?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

aaronp posted:

Just a heads up to anyone living in northern California, Comcast finally doubled everyone's speeds as of yesterday. The package changes were:

Performance 25/5 -> 50/10
Blast! 50/10 -> 105/10
Extreme 105/15 -> 150/20

If you didn't get the new speeds, just reboot your modem and it should download the new config file. Doesn't seem to matter which package you are on, everyone I know has been getting it.

Thanks, I'm gonna give mine a reboot tonight to see if it makes a difference.

***edit***
So, I just did this. Was getting 57 Mbit. Now I'm hitting 126 Mbit. Nice!

Thanks again!

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 5, 2014

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agreed posted:

That seems reasonable for a fast connection? Then again I can't consistently test higher than 900KB/s download and about 75KB/s upload, and during high usage times the download dips under 500KB/s. Convert to megabits and yeah I have shiternet obviously, but is that considered a high price for what looks to me like very fast internet speeds?

I'm lucky to get 400 KB/s during the lowest usage hours. <100KB/s and 20% packet loss is normal for me during like 5pm-1am, with a 60gb/month total-shut-off-if-you-exceed cap for $60/month

I might not be the best judge of what something is worth.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I just logged into my Comcast account just to see if Seattle upped it speeds and I had this pop up for signing up for some TV package. You literally cannot make it go away or click on ANYTHING else on the screen without adding it to your cart.

Are you loving kidding me?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

goobernoodles posted:

I just logged into my Comcast account just to see if Seattle upped it speeds and I had this pop up for signing up for some TV package. You literally cannot make it go away or click on ANYTHING else on the screen without adding it to your cart.

So many turgid nipples in their marketing department.

3peat
May 6, 2010

suddenlyissoon posted:

Fiber Optics ... If only had more uses for it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
BTW has anybody noticed lately that torrents run full blast basically forever now? Must be a side effect of all the new fiber subscribers.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

You've got a big ol' internet wang, you sure do. You sure do. I wish I did :(

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Free Wifi at a Starbucks in Seoul (not really free, but I'm too ashamed to admit how much I spend on overpriced drinks).

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Not bad for ~$35/month:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

nescience posted:

Free Wifi at a Starbucks in Seoul (not really free, but I'm too ashamed to admit how much I spend on overpriced drinks).

blah_blah posted:

Not bad for ~$35/month:

Well gently caress you both(I am insanely jealous). I couldn't pay for internet like this if I tried here in the single biggest city in all of Canada. The CRTC seriously blows.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bob NewSCART posted:

Well gently caress you both(I am insanely jealous). I couldn't pay for internet like this if I tried here in the single biggest city in all of Canada. The CRTC seriously blows.

Yep. gently caress Canada. Jesus christ I'm so jealous (and sad) that it hurts.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

nescience posted:

Yeah, so, Korea is pretty well kitted out for broadband I guess :v:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

revmoo posted:

BTW has anybody noticed lately that torrents run full blast basically forever now? Must be a side effect of all the new fiber subscribers.

That, and cheap seedboxes with uncapped upload.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Not bad for ~$35/month:

God drat.

No seriously that is three orders of magnitude faster DL and four orders of magnitude faster UL than me and I hate you

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
This is what happens in Australia when you don't live next to the exchange:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

blah_blah posted:

Not bad for ~$35/month:

:stare:

Where the gently caress does Webpass have 400Mbps Internet. I'm over the bridge in Oakland and this is all I get for $55/mo :(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

goobernoodles posted:

Yeah, I figure we'll be lucky if we get it by the end of the year. We're pretty much always dead last for upgrades. :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

Where the gently caress does Webpass have 400Mbps Internet. I'm over the bridge in Oakland and this is all I get for $55/mo :(

I'm guessing an office, which is cheating IMO :colbert:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Did someone say gently caress Canada? :v: ($50 a month for this "privilege")

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Wicaeed posted:

New building in downtown SF.

sellouts posted:

I'm guessing an office, which is cheating IMO :colbert:

Nope!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So, weird anecdote... but I had a breakthrough with Comcast Customer Support. I posted a little while back what my speed tier was and how much I was paying:

teagone posted:

Nearly $80 a month for that. :sigh:

Bitched with Comcast employees for like an hour or two. 4 chat sessions later, after telling each rep how dissatisfied I was despite being a loyal customer for years, I found an awesome dude named Narender who lowered my bill to $39.95 for the first 12 months, which will go up to 51.95 after the promotional period (excluding taxes and leased modem) for this:

As mentioned, I was previously paying $78.90 a month for a 20/4 Mbps connection (leased modem, insurance, etc). Sometimes... Comcast does good by its customers. Very rare situation though I guess, at least in my case. Or maybe persistence pays off? No idea. Either way, I'm super loving happy now :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 9, 2014

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm looking to upgrade my broadband connection. I'm currently on an 8Mb connection, with my predicted speed as only 2Mb due to the line between my house and the exchange. Thing is I actually get between 5Mb and 6.5Mb.

Sky are offering a better deal than my current provider (talk talk) with a 14Mb connection, although again they predict my speed will only be between 2-5Mb. I'm nervous about switching incase I really do start getting only 2Mb. Or do providers just lowball your predicted speed to be on the safe side? Am I likely to beat my 6.5Mb max even with the lovely connection from the exchange?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I couldn't see a general ISP thread.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Man, Cox sure is great! :newlol:

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."
11.5 down 4 up. Ping at 30MS $270 for this and a top tier cable and phone package(we split the bill between three apts)

It's with comcast. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be getting. Probably 25/5 but I'm in the basement and the wifi router is in the attic of my building. All of us split the internet but I account for 99% of the usage. Cannot WAIT to move soon and get some of that sweet 105 Comcast now has in Pittsburgh hardwired straight into my PC.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Home. Verizon FIOS. Never really had an issue

Work: Cogent Gigabit Fiber pipe. :getin:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I guess this is the place to bitch. I'm moving soon, and before signing the lease I checked to make sure high speed internet was available. The national broadband map website shows Charter cable, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon DSL at 6-10 Mbps. I called TWC as I currently have internet with them and verified that yes, I could get cable internet at that address. So then I signed the lease and called them back to set up a transfer of service.

Fast forward a few days later and I get an email from TWC saying "Woops, turns out we lied to you and we don't service that area."

No big deal though because I can still get Charter cable, right? So I give Charter a call and am told that yes, they do control the service to that address! But turns out they don't have any of the infrastructure build to provide any internet service or advanced cable TV options. So the only thing they're actually providing is basic cable TV. This isn't a case of lines not being laid. Everything is there, they just haven't upgraded their facilities to provide internet to a market they have a monopoly in.

Alright, well I still have Verizons 6-10Mbps DSL, that's not optimal, but it's still pretty fast. Hahah well gently caress me, turns out the most Verizon offers is 3Mbps DSL to this address, and I have to buy a landline to get it. Which means I will be paying more for lovely loving DSL than I would be for decent cable internet connection with 5 times the speed. Who knows how slow this poo poo will be but if my current luck is any indication I'll soon get to choose between downloading a hilarious cat GIF or streaming a single MP3.

Now you might be thinking I live on the edge of civilization or in a rural area, right? Nope! I'm in loving Carrollton, Texas. Right next to Dallas, and with dense city and suburbs in at least 50 miles in every direction. The apartments across the street can get loving FIOS, but somehow this place I am now contractually obligated to live at or lose $1,000 is on an island of digital isolation.

Someone please have one weird trick to getting high speed internet. I'm wondering if tethering to my phone is a viable option at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That really blows but I can't help but wonder if the Charter rep wasn't a little confused. If lines are laid I don't know how they could deliver basic TV but not any advanced services since the full spectrum should be coming out of the hub to all areas. Are you moving to an apartment? Maybe they meant only bulk services were included there (basic TV lineup) but you would have to pay for anything more advanced.

I know nothing of Charter or Carrollton but it just seems to me if you have lines laid to an area you'd have to go way out of your way to limit service to that area. If that really is the case have you considered Clearwire or something like it? Still not ideal but if you have decent 4G reception it will still be better than 3 Mbps DSL with a land line you don't need.

• Locked thread