Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

meatpimp posted:

WTF, imgur, I thought we were buds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Welp. That's about the most boss thing I've ever seen.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Somebody should airbrush that on the side of a van.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terrible Robot posted:

The rear air-shocks are doing an admirable job at keeping the truck level, at least :v:

Ehhh, pretty sure Ford's system from those years just uses a height sensor above the axle (there's really no other way to do it, a spirit level-type thing would work fine until you came to the first hill), look how the hub's still centered in the wheel arch. I think it's just perspective, plus those are decently big rotors so it's not as big a drop as it seems.

This is wonderful. :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is glorious. I almost want a 1080p version for wallpaper use :allears:

Edit for content, I will never understand why people like this look:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 29, 2014

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
:barf:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIuHvFyYBqs

I don't think this needs any further comment. :barf:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Thanks for the new phone wallpaper! :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, if they would have lifted it from the right points in the first place

or just put a permanent lift on it.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

What the gently caress? :stare: How the hell is that even on the road?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm trying to keep it classy in here.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

DarkSol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIuHvFyYBqs

I don't think this needs any further comment. :barf:

Maybe I'm the terrible car stuff, but this is at least hilarious. They're on private property and are mostly sober, so it's not tooooo terrible. That said, if anybody had gotten hurt, they'd have gotten exactly what they deserved.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

charliemonster42 posted:

Maybe I'm the terrible car stuff, but this is at least hilarious. They're on private property and are mostly sober, so it's not tooooo terrible. That said, if anybody had gotten hurt, they'd have gotten exactly what they deserved.

It's pretty terrible, and the likelihood of injury is as high as the level of redneck.

Here's a DUCKOTA for your troubles:

Cellular Suicide fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 1, 2014

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So I saw this today...

loving Richmond kids...

D C fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 29, 2014

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

D C posted:

So I saw this today...

loving Richmond kids...

the tron look is really getting old fast

a friend of a friend did it best with the "tronventador" everybody else is totally blowing it with their color selections in my opinion

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

D C posted:

So I saw this today...

loving Richmond kids...

If it makes you feel any better, about 2 weeks ago I saw that car along with a matte purple wrapped maserati pulled over by the police about half a block from where you took that picture.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

D C posted:

So I saw this today...

loving Richmond kids...

New Saint's Row is looking good...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

the tron look is really getting old fast

a friend of a friend did it best with the "tronventador" everybody else is totally blowing it with their color selections in my opinion

Holy poo poo, it's Automan!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Terrible car stuff: I took me 7 months to find a straight front crossmember for my 83 Supra, but it's finally in the mail :woop:

And this

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Terrible car stuff: I took me 7 months to find a straight front crossmember for my 83 Supra, but it's finally in the mail :woop:

And this

FYI: this is the BMW i3 Concept Coupe

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/AllBMWs/ConceptVehicles/details.aspx?FVCVDetailId=21

quote:

THE FUTURE OF URBAN MOBILITY.
The BMW i3 Concept Coupe is purpose built to be an all-electric vehicle. The three-door coupe’s passenger compartment is constructed from carbon fiber and boasts a purely electric motor.

PDF Press Release: http://cache.bmwusa.com/Pdf_2b56a3a3-5073-40c9-91f8-b4fa6cfcf5d9.arox?v=39515d47-d074-4f9d-9a33-b860f5d2b901

quote:

The future promises even greater agility: The BMW i3 Concept Coupe.

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. — November 28, 2012… The world premiere of the BMW i3 Concept Coupe sees the BMW Group unveil a particularly nimble and emotive version of its concept for sustainable premium-class motoring with zero local emissions. The study presented at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show has been brought out in parallel to the ongoing development process for getting the first-ever all-electric model from the BMW i brand ready for series production, and demonstrates the potential for conceivably extending the model range. The state-of-the-art, clean-cut and open design showcased by the BMW i3 Concept Coupe represents a pioneering form of urban mobility that makes sustainability awareness an intrinsic part of the premium profile. Beyond this, the three-door model employs the design idiom that has been created especially for the BMW i cars to convey an undeniable sense of dynamism and driving pleasure.

More BMW concepts: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/AllBMWs/ConceptVehicles/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's not just a concept, it's for sale: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...Wi/BMWi3RD.aspx

The i3 may be goofy looking, but it's pretty fuckin' cutting edge in terms of materials and engineering so it gets a pass from me. It's still essentially a beta test car, and the carbon fiber manufacturing and electric drivetrain technology from it and the i8 will start trickling out to other, more "traditional" cars.

The marketing-speak about it is terrible car stuff, though.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 29, 2014

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
You forgot cutting edge in terms of how ugly it is.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Is it ugly like the Prius, because it's slippery as a fish? Or is it just ugly for ugliness' sake?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hikaki posted:

You forgot cutting edge in terms of how ugly it is.

That was my gripe with it. I'm all for future tech and green energy, but don't take a cue from movies of the 80s about what 2020 tech should look like.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Electric vehicles still make no sense to me. They're all ugly as poo poo and is there anything that can even do a 200 mile trip yet?

I also question how the batteries handle things like cold weather. Say I want to drive the 99 miles up the mountain to go snowboarding. Will the batteries lose their mind while sitting at sub freezing temps all day so that I get in and have to just hope I regenerate enough power going down hill to make it home?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

veedubfreak posted:

I also question how the batteries handle things like cold weather. Say I want to drive the 99 miles up the mountain to go snowboarding. Will the batteries lose their mind while sitting at sub freezing temps all day so that I get in and have to just hope I regenerate enough power going down hill to make it home?

There are a huge number of people that either very seldom or never use their cars for anything like that.

I think something you can use for your commute makes a lot of sense even if it can't entirely replace a proper car (after all many people have multiple vehicles already and even if you don't there is always the option of renting for your occasional ski trip)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

An electric car with even only a 100 mile range would cover 99% of my driving. The only things keeping me from buying one are:

1. No outlets in my apartment parking garage, and would be a huge hassle to try to get one installed, and 240v is probably right out of the question.
2. I don't want to pay over 40k for a new car right now (sorry Nissan Leaf you just aren't good enough).
3. None of the currently available electric cars short of a 100k Tesla are designed to be "fun".

Give me something more along the lines of a Mazda3 in terms of looks and fun for under 35k and I would strongly consider it, even if the range is ~100 miles. The electric car market is getting close to offering this, but I think it'll still be another few years (plus I might have a house with a garage I can wire up with 240v by then).

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 29, 2014

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Guinness posted:

An electric car with even only a 100 mile range would cover 99% of my driving. The only things keeping me from buying one are:

1. No outlets in my apartment parking garage, and would be a huge hassle to try to get one installed, and 240v is probably right out of the question.
2. I don't want to pay over 40k for a new car right now (sorry Nissan Leaf you just aren't good enough).
3. None of the currently available electric cars short of a 100k Tesla are designed to be "fun".

Give me something more along the lines of a Mazda3 in terms of looks and fun for under 35k and I would strongly consider it, even if the range is ~100 miles.
4. Unable to do "rolling thunder" (a fad where you dump extra ions in a cloud around your vehicle that causes lightning)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

My experience with hybrids in freezing weather suggests that yes, you take a hit.. economy on the Prius is poo poo in the cold unless you've been driving for 30 minutes and everything has managed to warm up to a good operating temperature. This happens in pure gas cars too, but where a traditional car takes about a 15% economy hit in the winter, the Prius loses about 25%. I suspect an EV takes an even bigger hit.. so either hope the resort has a heated garage, or leave the Tesla at home.

(percentages are from my own vehicles, I don't know if it can be used as a universal truth)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Electric vehicles still make no sense to me. They're all ugly as poo poo and is there anything that can even do a 200 mile trip yet?

I blame the Prius. It was the first popular hybrid so now everyone associates its ugly rear end design with "green"-ness. Right now electric cars are kinda poo poo (both the tech in car and the current infrastructure) so the only reason why people buy them is to feel like they are saving the environment, so they will gravitate toward the "green" image. Manufacturers must design their electric cars around this image or risk not selling any. Then they start trying to outdo each other by evolving on the basic design and you end up with the monstrosity that is the i3.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hikaki posted:

I blame the Prius. It was the first popular hybrid so now everyone associates its ugly rear end design with "green"-ness. Right now electric cars are kinda poo poo (both the tech in car and the current infrastructure) so the only reason why people buy them is to feel like they are saving the environment, so they will gravitate toward the "green" image. Manufacturers must design their electric cars around this image or risk not selling any. Then they start trying to outdo each other by evolving on the basic design and you end up with the monstrosity that is the i3.

Isn't it mostly aero though?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why is there still no one offering a diesel/electric hybrid in the US yet? Cost?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

veedubfreak posted:

Why is there still no one offering a diesel/electric hybrid in the US yet? Cost?

The stock answer is probably diesel emissions requirements in the US.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

You can blame general ignorance. Regardless of how efficient Diesel is, the majority of the hybrid car buying demographic are under the impression that diesel is literal environmental murder. Why would they put a smog spewing, coal burning engine in front of a zero emission electric motor?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Carteret posted:

You can blame general ignorance. Regardless of how efficient Diesel is, the majority of the hybrid car buying demographic are under the impression that diesel is literal environmental murder. Why would they put a smog spewing, coal burning engine in front of a zero emission electric motor?

So why are there no diesel hybrids in places where diesel does not have the stigma?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

dissss posted:

So why are there no diesel hybrids in places where diesel does not have the stigma?

Probably due to the fact that those areas are ok with an engine that's 1L thus it doesn't really need a battery to be efficient.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Isn't it mostly aero though?

That's true, and the Prius may have been specifically designed that way, but I still think that most Prius copycats (like the Leaf and Spark, and now the i3) are less trying to have good aero and more trying to cash in on the Prius image. You can see this happening in other market segments, like with muscle cars. You want your muscle car to look like it has muscle, which means piggybacking off the design of other muscle cars with an established image. A Miata with a V8 might qualify performance-wise but no one in the market for a muscle car is gonna buy it.

vvv Is that thing mid-engined? I guess it's got that going for it.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 29, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
There is also things like this now popping up - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28540259

In EV news, I've seen a few of these around recently, including one place in the New Forest which apprently rents them out?

Itt's called the Twizy.

Looks utterly stupid and utterly impractical. And it apparently worthless in any kind of weather, since there's gaps everywhere and even the (plastic) roof is an optional extra. But you can buy one for £7K i guess?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Probably due to the fact that those areas are ok with an engine that's 1L thus it doesn't really need a battery to be efficient.

That isn't universally true - there are a full range of diesels available ranging from gutless to awesome (just like their petrol counterparts)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

AirRaid posted:

There is also things like this now popping up - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28540259

In EV news, I've seen a few of these around recently, including one place in the New Forest which apprently rents them out?

Itt's called the Twizy.

Looks utterly stupid and utterly impractical. And it apparently worthless in any kind of weather, since there's gaps everywhere and even the (plastic) roof is an optional extra. But you can buy one for £7K i guess?

It's a golf cart, closer to those GEM vehicles you see on college/industrial campuses. Unless they're marketing it as an actual car in which case that's a bit optimistic. I think Final Gear did a test where one of the presenters tried to live with it for a month and while she liked it, it was not very well suited to normal car duties. She also drove around almost exclusively in the city with the one highway experience being one of sheer terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Guinness posted:

A big problem is the people most served by the limited range live in apartments in cities least suited for running electrical cords to their cars (especially if Street parking is involved).

veedubfreak posted:

Don't gas engines have better high end power production than diesels? It pairs better with an electric motor that is all low end torque.