Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I assume he's referring to the real story being a guy who sold a bunch of bullshit homeopathic cures alongside the real ones, this having been mostly downplayed or left out in the film. Basically, it got as Holywoodized as a movie about a redneck and a transsexual who are on a mission to provide AIDS drugs can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

Eating viscera, on the other hand, was completely abandoned by the middle class. (and rightfully so, because loving ew)

Sweetbreads, livers, and kidneys are fantastic. They just need to be fresh and prepared properly. There's a pie shop down the road where I can get kidney pie with golf ball sized pieces of kidney. I might have to eat that for dinner.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Viscera/offal is really good though.

Sweetbreads, man, sweetbreads.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ReindeerF posted:

It's particularly funny here when we have a generation of Thai hipsters though, because they hold farmers markets and artisanal fairs and it's a Goddamn developing country that depends largely on agriculture and I guarantee you 75% of these people have never met a farmer.

That's true across most of the industrializing world though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just got to wait until you find the right place to try them. It's like oysters, a well fried oyster is a wonderful thing of beauty. A poorly fried one could either get you sick or be hard as a rock.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Dreylad posted:

That's true across most of the industrializing world though.
Yes, well, I maintain the right to roll my eyes and laugh.

The Warszawa posted:

Jesus, look at you. WTF you talkin' 'bout man!?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

Just got to wait until you find the right place to try them. It's like oysters, a well fried oyster is a wonderful thing of beauty. A poorly fried one could either get you sick or be hard as a rock.

I like my oysters raw.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

BrandorKP posted:

Sweetbreads, livers, and kidneys are fantastic. They just need to be fresh and prepared properly. There's a pie shop down the road where I can get kidney pie with golf ball sized pieces of kidney. I might have to eat that for dinner.

Yes, animals' filtration organs sound extremely appetizing, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to remain a Philistine on this one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

I like my oysters raw.

Steamed.

Oysters are a crazy dish because whenever I think about eating them I'm disgusted but when they're actually there steaming in front of you they're so good. Just don't think about it. Just eat. Shove 'em down.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Warszawa posted:

One of my best friends swears by scrapple, and goes out of his way to buy it whenever he can. I'm ambivalent towards it, personally.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Döner, Döner and Döner

Thanks.

BrandorKP posted:

Salt pork is fantastic for making soups, especially of the lentil, pea, or bean variety.

I also find it useful for dressing poultry, particularly leaner birds that otherwise easily dry out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're eating organs you might as well eat balls. Why aren't you eating balls? HMMMMMM?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Years of watching The Wire as McNulty ordered scrapple and assuming it was scrambled eggs only to find that when I googled. Wow.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

If you're eating organs you might as well eat balls. Why aren't you eating balls? HMMMMMM?

Rocky mountain oysters or lamb fries post incoming in 3...2...1...

ReindeerF posted:

Years of watching The Wire as McNulty ordered scrapple and assuming it was scrambled eggs only to find that when I googled. Wow.

It's odd, it should be more or less like sausage meat, which I like, but every time I've been around when someone's cook it, scrapple smells like rear end.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

I assume he's referring to the real story being a guy who sold a bunch of bullshit homeopathic cures alongside the real ones, this having been mostly downplayed or left out in the film. Basically, it got as Holywoodized as a movie about a redneck and a transsexual who are on a mission to provide AIDS drugs can.
considering the state of aids drugs back then, it's hard to get real angry about it. and they did leave it out of the movie, so it's not like it's promoting the use of homeopathy now...

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Majorian posted:

Also our wine is the best, so gently caress you motherfucker.

ahhahahaha

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Seriously try them at a good restaurant. I'll tell you what you don't want to eat though, sweetlivers, sweetlivers are gross. And who really wants to eat a cooked internal parasite. I'd avoid possum, raccoon, and squirrel too.

zoux posted:

I like my oysters raw.

I just can't handle it. I've tried every thing just short of brains (risking prion diseases isn't my cup of tea) but I just can't do the raw oysters. Even as an "oyster shot"

edit:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I also find it useful for dressing poultry, particularly leaner birds that otherwise easily dry out.

I like to do it with pancetta, especially on turkey. It cooks into and merges with the skin of a turkey, turning almost into like a chip.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
impeach my balls

also georgian (the country) wine is actually the best sorry to all who have the wrong opinions

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Political perspective: it's not that different from a colloidal silver or alternative medicine story. A guy is positive that the AZT has "poisons" (when in reality it's the only thing that worked at that point, though they dosed people WAY too much) and scrambles around against the medical/scientific/FDA ESTABLISHMENT to get even less proven (and, it turns out, ineffective) poo poo from Mexico and Japan to sell to people.

Reality perspective: the guy had sex with dudes and almost certainly got it from another guy. It was a chickenshit move to make him a super-"straight" roughneck IMO.

Basically the arcs that make up the story are bullshit.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I know, I deserve it. I was a colossal shithead back in the day.:smith:

Don't be sad, friend. :unsmith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Political perspective: it's not that different from a colloidal silver or alternative medicine story. A guy is positive that the AZT has "poisons" (when in reality it's the only thing that worked at that point, though they dosed people WAY too much) and scrambles around against the medical/scientific/FDA ESTABLISHMENT to get even less proven (and, it turns out, ineffective) poo poo from Mexico and Japan to sell to people.

Reality perspective: the guy had sex with dudes and almost certainly got it from another guy. It was a chickenshit move to make him a super-"straight" roughneck IMO.

Are you saying Magic was gay then mate?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

pangstrom posted:

Pretty much this. Fantastic movie, but the equivalent of making Jenny McCarthy into Erin Brockovich.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Are you saying Magic was gay then mate?
No, I'm saying the guy who was bisexual probably (like >99% chance) got HIV from a guy.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Magic is bi, though, to be honest. I don't really care and I wouldn't blame him personally and more widely it's helpful for people not to think of HIV as the GAY DISEASE or whatever. I don't know much about Magic Johnson though.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 29, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
When I was writing my college thesis I had this Serbian plum brandy that I'm pretty sure could have gotten a rocket into orbit.

I'm really partial to syrahs though.

ReindeerF posted:

Jesus, look at you. WTF you talkin' 'bout man!?

What I'm talking about is I really need to find a place near my office that does good oxtail. I'm going on vacation in three weeks and I've already got a detour planned to the best goddamn oxtail I've ever had.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gah I thought oxtail soup was a euphemism.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

The Warszawa posted:

What I'm talking about is I really need to find a place near my office that does good oxtail. I'm going on vacation in three weeks and I've already got a detour planned to the best goddamn oxtail I've ever had.
Where's my crying Pat Robertson flag?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

I like my oysters raw.

California has the best oysters too. Hogg Island owns.

Geokinesis posted:

ahhahahaha

Whatchu laughing at chump? Judgment of Paris motherfucker!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Majorian posted:

California has the best oysters too. Hogg Island owns.
Texas, Louisiana and Australia would like a word.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

ReindeerF posted:

Texas, Louisiana and Australia would like a word.

The delicious tang of Corexit?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I've never actually been to California but I really want to go. Not sure whether to go to L.A. or the Bay Area.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Bay Area, short answer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never been farther west than Wyoming.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

I've never been farther west than Wyoming.

I went to Vegas after the bar exam, but before that St. Louis was as far west as I had been.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Warszawa posted:

I've never actually been to California but I really want to go. Not sure whether to go to L.A. or the Bay Area.
Bay Area, walk around it's great. Unless you are an actor then you should still go to the Bay Area but go straight to the GG bridge and jump off it before you ruin another party with your empty loud talking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've also never been north of the Mason Dixon line, by God.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i haven't even been to america, but i hope that one day, i will walk on its beautiful shores, wander through its majestic forests, burn its entire government to the ground and violently install communism, meet its wonderful people and eat all those types of food you guys talk about

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I've only had oysters once, they came from a can and were oily and gross. It did not make me want to try fresh or raw ones, to see if they were more authentic or what have you.

v this sounds unbelievably foul

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hedera Helix posted:

I've only had oysters once, they came from a can and were oily and gross. It did not make me want to try fresh or raw ones, to see if they were more authentic or what have you.

Raw oysters topped with hot sauce and horseradish and served on a saltine :yum:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

I've also never been north of the Mason Dixon line, by God.
My dad is an awesome blue collar Texas Democrat who supports labor and the whole deal. If you ask him, his advice is, "Never trust anyone north of I-10."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm north of I-10 :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I guess you should've thought of that before something or other.

• Locked thread