Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Daaaaamn Swing, Kragger surely loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

I just want you to realize Ragequit, that you are as vehement about it as the people who hate it because of old Thiefs are.

Vehement is a pretty strong word - just confused really. I've never said it was an awesome game. Just decent enough. A lot of people seem to be really bent out of shape about it though. I just don't get it. I felt the exact same way when people cried about Hitman Absolution at release.

I just mention it when it goes on sale causing people to ask about it, saying, "Yeah it is worth $10." I'd say the exact same thing about Hitman: AA.

If you link to slink around and shoot arrows in faces go for it. If you don't like loading times and demand all video game plots be art then don't go for it. I don't know what else to tell you.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I already have this game so here's a key from the Square Enix Humble Bundle!
Hitman: Blood Money

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Xeras posted:

I already have this game so here's a key from the Square Enix Humble Bundle!
Hitman: Blood Money

Grabbed it, thanks!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

I think one of the coolest things about the Last Remnant is the way weapon choices work. You can go

Well I was almost completely wrong anyway, unsurprisingly it's more complicated than I thought. You can Block or Evade to avoid damage depending on your gear, and when that happens there's an additional chance for a followup.

Weapons other than Dual-wielded can Weapon Block + Parry (which is a Blackout). Any weapon type can Evade + Counter for big damage.

With a shield equipped, you can Block + Shield Bash (which is a stun against just the attacking unit?), or you can Block + Parry (full Blackout), and you can Evade + Counter mystic attacks for big damage.

No idea how the hell the 4-armed race works, but I'd assume Quad Wield behaves just like Dual Wield, Dual Power Grid behaves just like Power Grip, and Dual 2H behaves just like 2H. Maybe they get higher chances to trigger any of these. I don't think they can even use Shields can they?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well I was almost completely wrong anyway, unsurprisingly it's more complicated than I thought.

Ha, that sums up The Last Remnant, really. You will be wrong, and it will be more complicated than you thought. I recall reading that the Japanese 360 version got a huge phonebook-sized strategy guide that still barely covered the basics.

There's a million little systems and dice-rolls and modifiers all at work at any given moment. It's effectively impossible for a human to calculate odds of anything working on the fly, but you can get a good feel for what'll work and what won't. Let gut instinct guide you, just don't get hung up on the details - only madness lies that way.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 29, 2014

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=as3Bpf24d2S6tttB

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=YFeBm3SF4PyEUSNe

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Rvzu3F4wwPUXHWEk

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=VFwp722ZCcNdvhnt

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=5WuGH2adY4HdwC6V

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Ragequit posted:

Vehement is a pretty strong word - just confused really. I've never said it was an awesome game. Just decent enough. A lot of people seem to be really bent out of shape about it though. I just don't get it. I felt the exact same way when people cried about Hitman Absolution at release.

I just mention it when it goes on sale causing people to ask about it, saying, "Yeah it is worth $10." I'd say the exact same thing about Hitman: AA.

No sarcasm, but I feel the exact same way about Duke Nukem Forever. I think people are wildly affected by blown hype and heightened expectations. Disappointment ruins things for people because they feel like it is "missed potential". Like, professional reviewers should be able to see past their own personal disappointments, but you can't really expect JoeSchmo Piscapo, Thief lover, to get over his own issues and be able to look at the game objectively.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well I was almost completely wrong anyway, unsurprisingly it's more complicated than I thought. You can Block or Evade to avoid damage depending on your gear, and when that happens there's an additional chance for a followup.

Weapons other than Dual-wielded can Weapon Block + Parry (which is a Blackout). Any weapon type can Evade + Counter for big damage.

With a shield equipped, you can Block + Shield Bash (which is a stun against just the attacking unit?), or you can Block + Parry (full Blackout), and you can Evade + Counter mystic attacks for big damage.

No idea how the hell the 4-armed race works, but I'd assume Quad Wield behaves just like Dual Wield, Dual Power Grid behaves just like Power Grip, and Dual 2H behaves just like 2H. Maybe they get higher chances to trigger any of these. I don't think they can even use Shields can they?

Yeah, if there is a 4 armed soldier/leader out there that uses 2 swords and 2 shields or something I haven't found him. They all seem to have Quad-wield + dual power grip or dual 2-handed styles.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that dual-wielders can also learn one-handed styles to attack sooner in the round so there is some additional versatility over 2-handed styles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Drunk Tomato posted:

No sarcasm, but I feel the exact same way about Duke Nukem Forever. I think people are wildly affected by blown hype and heightened expectations. Disappointment ruins things for people because they feel like it is "missed potential". Like, professional reviewers should be able to see past their own personal disappointments, but you can't really expect JoeSchmo Piscapo, Thief lover, to get over his own issues and be able to look at the game objectively.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with partially judging a game based on how well it lives up to the legacy of its predecessors.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I managed to get this one (first one). Thanks!

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
Speaking of Last Remnant, here's an extra key since I already have it:
The Last Remnant

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

AbDomen posted:

Speaking of Last Remnant, here's an extra key since I already have it:
The Last Remnant

Grabbed this one, looking forward to trying it out. Thanks!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Tomato posted:

I probably should try DNF some day. I think I helped give out 20 copies or so during some insane Amazon promotion. I should have grabbed a copy for myself.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ragequit posted:

I probably should try DNF some day. I think I helped give out 20 copies or so during some insane Amazon promotion. I should have grabbed a copy for myself.
It's not worth it. I mean it may be not the horrible mess people described it as but there are so many mediocre shooters that are better than it. It's a waste of time just to be able to say "hey, it wasn't THAT bad".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Life's short, play cool games in your backlog

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
TLR is a good JRPG for anyone who doesn't mind putting a little extra effort into learning its intricacies. It's also a good example of a port done properly (it was originally a 360 game) and they tweaked and fixed a ton of things people complained about in the original.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

More Last RemnantChat: This page has some useful INI tweaks for the game that make it both look and run better. There's some weird little holdovers from the 360 version in the detail tuning that you can pretty easily squash.

I also recall that if you rename (or make a copy of) the game executable to UE3.exe, then Nvidia folks can force Vsync, anti-aliasing and SSAO for some extra shinies. The game is pretty light on the GPU by default, so you can probably squeeze some extra graphical niceness out of it with a little tweaking.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 29, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Quest For Glory II posted:

Life's short, play cool games in your backlog

My backlog is getting pretty small, so I might get to it before long.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've got 75 unplayed games, I've played 245, and beaten 141. I will eventually pull it off. And then it'll be time for the next sale.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Swift progress on the category front now that they're focusing on it;

Library
Added by-category filter options to the filter dropdowns in all library views.
When switching between library views, remember the category of the game selected and retain it when possible.
In list view with game images selected, display the image on all instances of the game instead of only one.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So the Trading Card 2 Blink Bundle updated with its secret game, a 2D horror game called Whispering Willows. It's not bad so far, has kind of an RE1 vibe with notes and stuff everywhere.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with partially judging a game based on how well it lives up to the legacy of its predecessors.

Of course not, but I'm more taking about the amount of 1/10 reviews and angry vitriol for media just because it doesn't live up the reviewers expectations. You shouldn't base your entire opinion of something on word of mouth or your own imagination. That's just dumb consumption.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you thought Hitman Absolution was pretty good you will probably think Thief 4 is pretty good as well. Not like, mind-blowing or anything. Just unoffensively mediocre, with some irritating bits that end up souring the experience as a whole, but some really cool stuff sprinkled here and there. You have probably played and enjoyed worse games than Thief 4 or Hitman Absolution.
Play Splinter Cell Blacklist instead.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'll never, ever finish off my backlog. I've got games like Cthulhu Saves the World sitting there because people said good things and it was so cheap so why not! But then I realize that I will always, without fail, have better games to play.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Speaking one last time about Last Remnant,
For the Last Remnant, The Last Remnant Wiki will save your life. Keep that open and feel free to alt-tab out whenever you need to to answer any questions you have. Just after the game 'tutorial' intro go ahead and read about game mechanics from the wiki. You'll be grateful.

Read this, and then this at least, before you start. The game can be pretty freaking strategic, up to unit/team union placement on the battle map and you will lose often if you treat it like a standard final fantasy game. It's not Tactics Ogre, but positioning is an important thing.

This Youtube Video detailing some basic combat and squad stuff is also a really huge help. The sound is hosed up, so just turn it off and read the subtitles.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 29, 2014

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

PantsBandit posted:

I'll never, ever finish off my backlog. I've got games like Cthulhu Saves the World sitting there because people said good things and it was so cheap so why not! But then I realize that I will always, without fail, have better games to play.

I don't think you do.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sober posted:

Play Splinter Cell Blacklist instead.
Are you referring to the first person sections as Briggs, or the sections where you're plot-discovered and forced into combat?

Reading this thread reminds me to play more of The Last Remnant.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is guardians of light worth going up to the 15 bux tier.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

PrinceRandom posted:

Is guardians of light worth going up to the 15 bux tier.

No, it has been under 4 bucks in the past and goes on sale quite frequently.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Word of warning to those thinking about picking up Trails in the Sky, the game is extremely crash heavy unless you play in windowed mode at like 600x800 resolution. They're apparently working on fixing it but a ton of people on the forums are complaining about it. Personally, it took like 3 tries to get past the opening cutscene without crashing, doesn't bode well.

Edit: Finally managed to get past the opening scene only to get a black screen of death. Cool, glad I spent 17 dollars on this.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Yyyeep, I'm playing the GOG version and crashed three times on the opening cutscene. I'll try playing it windowed later, which may be preferable with a game like this anyhow. Definitely hold off on buying it until they patch this up, though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Those Last Remanent guides are probably pretty useful. I found the game to be incredibly confusing from playing it. That said, my favorite JRPGs are the 2D and strategy ones, so the game wasn't really my thing.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 29, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drunk Tomato posted:

Of course not, but I'm more taking about the amount of 1/10 reviews and angry vitriol for media just because it doesn't live up the reviewers expectations. You shouldn't base your entire opinion of something on word of mouth or your own imagination. That's just dumb consumption.

Yeah, I'm with RageQuit in liking the new Thief. I also feel bad that many people won't even get to try it out because so many goons hate on it so bad. It's actually pretty decent. If you're played it, and think it's poo poo, fine. It's all the other goons that went into watching a video/review of it already thinking it was poo poo, and were just looking for the smallest things to justify their already made impression.
I still predict when it hits $5 in a sale (should be that in about 25 min in following with Squeenix's price model), a bunch of goons will buy it for a laugh, and be surprised that it's decent, and worth more than that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So I got a foil card from Trails in the Sky, but I have no idea what to sell it for since nobody's bought one yet to add to the price history. $10 good?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got back into Skyrim because of the mod talk a couple page ago. I got SkyUI, the Pouches one, and the high-res texture pack, rolled up a new character and I'm ready for action! This'll actually be my third attempt. Both of the other times I played the game I got to Whiterun and just got bored and stopped. I think I felt disinclined to do the main quest and felt overwhelmed over what I should do first.

This time, I'm avoiding Whiterun entirely (may get the horse), and I want to just go join the thieves' guild. What's the easiest way to do that? Do you just get arrested like you do in Oblivion?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

Swift progress on the category front now that they're focusing on it;

Library
Added by-category filter options to the filter dropdowns in all library views.
When switching between library views, remember the category of the game selected and retain it when possible.
In list view with game images selected, display the image on all instances of the game instead of only one.

Still waiting for categories in grid view...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kragger99 posted:

Yeah, I'm with RageQuit in liking the new Thief. I also feel bad that many people won't even get to try it out because so many goons hate on it so bad. It's actually pretty decent. If you're played it, and think it's poo poo, fine. It's all the other goons that went into watching a video/review of it already thinking it was poo poo, and were just looking for the smallest things to justify their already made impression.
I still predict when it hits $5 in a sale (should be that in about 25 min in following with Squeenix's price model), a bunch of goons will buy it for a laugh, and be surprised that it's decent, and worth more than that.

Yeah, it's a pretty chill light stealth game, feels cool to sneak around on rooftops and break into homes and occasionally find a note that leads you to a hidden stash. It's not offensively bad as a game, I enjoyed it enough to rent it and then buy it on sale because there's some charm to be had in sneaking around levels like an rear end in a top hat Batman. Not a bad game. Not a great Thief game, but not a bad game.

Silver Falcon posted:

I got back into Skyrim because of the mod talk a couple page ago. I got SkyUI, the Pouches one, and the high-res texture pack, rolled up a new character and I'm ready for action! This'll actually be my third attempt. Both of the other times I played the game I got to Whiterun and just got bored and stopped. I think I felt disinclined to do the main quest and felt overwhelmed over what I should do first.

This time, I'm avoiding Whiterun entirely (may get the horse), and I want to just go join the thieves' guild. What's the easiest way to do that? Do you just get arrested like you do in Oblivion?

There's a town called Riften. Go there. Also, if you're doing mods, you might consider Alternate Start or whatever the mod is called, you can pick a different opening in case you don't want to go through the cart thing and would prefer to play a landowner who just arrived in a port city, or a bandit who starts out in the middle of the forest, or one of them has you start out in the exact place needed to become a new recruit of the Thieves Guild.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 29, 2014

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zeether posted:

So I got a foil card from Trails in the Sky, but I have no idea what to sell it for since nobody's bought one yet to add to the price history. $10 good?

I'd search the market for other foil cards for the game, maybe one of those has been sold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Can't remember the name of the town but there's one in the bottom right of the map where you'll get a quest for it as soon as you enter the town square.

Edit: Riften

• Locked thread