Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I hope the next twenty books are self-contained episodic Harry Fights Supernatural Crime stories with nary a mention of Nemesis or whatever.

Actually, no, I don't hope that, but I do like it when the books function largely on their own merits and the overarching storyline is kept predominantly in the background to be wheeled out for special occasions, and minor plot points hang around for a couple of books, maybe. The way the series has generally been up to this point.

I do legitimately hope that the Denarians next show up in, like, book 19 or something, just so that a bunch of people go mad trying to make it fit the THEY SHOW UP EVERY FIVE BOOKS WITHOUT FAIL rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

docbeard posted:

I do legitimately hope that the Denarians next show up in, like, book 19 or something, just so that a bunch of people go mad trying to make it fit the THEY SHOW UP EVERY FIVE BOOKS WITHOUT FAIL rule.

Release dresden case 20 as the 19th release date book, then release dresden case 19 as the 20th with ~time travel~ and watch a million nerds lose their minds.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Isn't 'Mirror, Mirror' supposed to be after 'Peace Talks'? I'm really excited for Peace Talks because I love the White Council and Warden stuff and it's been way too long since we had a good straight up wizard book, (plus getting more canonical Fomor stuff will really help with GM'ing my RPG) but Alternate Universe Harry Dresden is going to be plain old fun, I think.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
There's going to be a book called "Mirror, Mirror"? That's cheating, Butcher.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mirror Mirror has been the supposed Book After Next for a long time now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

No one cares but I finally got a hardcover copy of Furies of Calderon so now I have all of Jim's books in hardcover. Plus he's going to be at Dragon*Con again this year, so I can get Furies signed and that'll give me a full signed collection.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

No one cares but I finally got a hardcover copy of Furies of Calderon so now I have all of Jim's books in hardcover. Plus he's going to be at Dragon*Con again this year, so I can get Furies signed and that'll give me a full signed collection.

Congratulations! Does your home smell of rich mahagony?

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I'm re-listening to the whole series and Ghost Story is better than I remember. Maybe because I can tune out the Fitz parts or maybe because some of the foreshadowing makes more sense now or something else completely but I'm not looking to fast forward like I have been before.

skin Game spoiler is the Inez statue the parasite? Because if so the conversation about Harry being a monster takes on some new dimensions

The scene with Dumorne being very emotionless takes on new meaning also, if Nemesis has him the emotional detachment is in character (Cold Days spoiler)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Bunnita posted:

I'm re-listening to the whole series and Ghost Story is better than I remember. Maybe because I can tune out the Fitz parts or maybe because some of the foreshadowing makes more sense now or something else completely but I'm not looking to fast forward like I have been before.

skin Game spoiler is the Inez statue the parasite? Because if so the conversation about Harry being a monster takes on some new dimensions

I don't think so as a "newborn" she could barely speak without being exhausted, so possessing a statue is probably beyond her. That said it isn't covered in the books or Word of Jim yet

quote:

The scene with Dumorne being very emotionless takes on new meaning also, if Nemesis has him the emotional detachment is in character (Cold Days spoiler)

Isn't being super emotional part of being with the outsiders though? Part of the whole "chaos" thing, plus when Papa Raith was working with them it was always super emotional and personal

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't think so as a "newborn" she could barely speak without being exhausted, so possessing a statue is probably beyond her. That said it isn't covered in the books or Word of Jim yet

Statue was demonreach, I believe.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Statue was demonreach, I believe.

There were two. I think she was able to do much more than we saw as she 'negotiated' with the others.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm pretty sure Inez was her own entity, because she's referenced a few times prior to Ghost Story as something people occasionally see wandering the graveyard and I doubt very much that she would be anything other than what she was described as (a very old and powerful little shade that haunts a particular graveyard).

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, Harry thinks about her when walking to meet Mavra in Dead Beat and notes her statue is missing as he does, long before going to the island himself.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm pretty sure Inez was her own entity, because she's referenced a few times prior to Ghost Story as something people occasionally see wandering the graveyard and I doubt very much that she would be anything other than what she was described as (a very old and powerful little shade that haunts a particular graveyard).

Pretty sure Inez is her own entity, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she is only a really powerful shade that just haunts a graveyard. I mean, that could be all she is/it is, but iirc that Dresden does make some comment in his discussion with her speculative that she is more than that. The discussion references a lot of the forces working by proxies too (obviously referring to Mab and Demonreach), so it seems possible to me that even if she is just a powerful shade that could've been a hint that she was also talking to Dresden as a proxy.

E: ok whoa, out of curiosity I went back and read that bit, and there are several large signs in that conversation that point out that she is very much not just the ghost of a little girl.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 28, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Okay so I went deep down my own little rabbit hole and read and reread those bits from Ghost Story, and here is why I dont think Inez is a ghost:

• Before Harry starts the conversation with her he thinks to himself "I decided to be careful. What were the odds she was really a little girl, as she appeared?" Hint hint.
  • When Harry identifies her as the "Famous ghost of Graceland" she laughs and says "I have been called so" A pretty evasive answer, and more interestingly one that sound to me like something one of the Fae would say if avoiding the truth but speaking no lies.
  • She seems to have a lot of knowledge about Dresden's current condition at the time, and knowledge of his new status as the Winter Knight, which I think is what she refers to when she calls him a "newborn". This is speculation on my part, since she then claims that Harry will be a "monster", but it is entirely possible to me as well that she could be referring to Harry's new status as a soul, or even something that has changed post-Changes in his mysterious-birth/starborn stuff. Regardless she knows way more than we'd expect a ghost to, even a really powerful one.
  • Inez also seems to have some future knowledge of Harry's possible or even likely future, or at least knowledge of large events that are very much likely to happen in the future, which considering the enormity of the events that Harry is increasingly involved with is a scary amount of knowledge.
  • She identifies monsters as "power and choice", which sounds like Dresden to me, who is usually reiterating that what you choose to do with your power is what defines you. Monsters also "provide a forge for the steeling of souls." Which seemed like an interesting bit of foreshadowing...
  • Inez also says "This little world is so small. So dull. So dreary[...] You aren't shackled here, Mr. Dresden. Why remain?" You can take this to mean that she sees Harry' spirit could have/can move on to What-Comes-Next, but I dont't necessarily believe that that is what she is referring to if you assume that Inez is not merely a ghost. In either case, its a lot of insight for her to have.
  • At the end of their conversation Harry says "You aren't the ghost of a little girl." To which she smiles and says "If I am no ghost than why do you look so haunted?", and then she abruptly vanishes without any fanfair, noise, visual, or any other indication that she was leaving somehow. You could take this to be an indication that she was a ghost, but I think that's a mistake. First off, this is after Harry notices that the statue is missing, i.e. Inez is the statue. If the ghost was controlling the statue, wouldnt the physical statue be there in place if the ghost teleported away in the same manner that Harry did in Ghost Story? If your next thought is that she is a ghost but she used magic to move the statue, that doesnt seem likely either as we later see that a ghost's magic doesn't work on the physical world. We also discover later that only absolutely insane ghosts can interact with the physical world. But Inez doesn't strike me as a pyscho-killer ghost; she's too polite, too talkative, too seemingly knowledgeable and too not-a-shade-at-Mortimers-house, like all the other insane killer ghosts.
  • Harry then then remarks on her disappearance and refers to her as another "cryptic supernatural entity" like he so often has to deal with.
  • Then Harry talks to the statue of Eternal Silence, who I and probably everyone else assumes is Demonreach. The very first thing Silence/Demonreach says is "An insufferable entity[...] Her soul is made of crooked lines." Her soul, he says, and as we know from Ghost Story someone's soul is very much not their ghost. As far as I can tell too, there is no reason why Demonreach would lie about this either. More importantly, or perhaps most importantly, is that shortly afterwards Harry is nearly blown apart by Demonreach's sheer force of will capital letters mind talk, part of in which Demonreach explains that "PRECONSIDERED VOCABULARY EXHAUSTED." It's a fairly short amount of dialogue leading up to that point too, meaning that 1) Demonreach knew in advance who Harry was going to be talking to, and 2) wanted Harry to know said hinty snippets of information about her/it.

All that makes me pretty skeptical that Inez is a ghost, even a very powerful one. The proxies thing that I mentioned before is said later by Lea regarding Eternal Silence in the 2nd time Harry rests in his grave and after he shares the memory of He Who Walks Behind. I still think it could apply, but it really isnt clear and much more beyond this is pure speculation.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Word of Jim was that Inez acted as Mab's proxy in Ghost Story and may not have necessarily been a shade in the same sense as Sir Stuart or the other ghosts in the story.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 29, 2014

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Have we considered the possibility that (changes onward spoilers) The Fallen in Changes who convinces Harry to kill himself is in fact working for the "good guys" (and by good guys i mean the forces arrayed against Nemesis/Outsiders) Obviously we don't know a *ton* about the aims/desires of Hell in Dresdenverse, but as the Outsiders represent Chaos/annihilation/general dissolution of reality, it could be one of those John Milton situations of "better to rule in hell than...cease to exist"

Convincing Harry to off himself may seem counter productive, until one considers it allowed Uriel to convince Harry he could remain himself as he took upon the mantle of Winter and gained a power boost necessary to recover the artifacts in Skin Game.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I just discovered that Jim Butcher apparently wrote a Spider-man novel called The Darkest Hour.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1416594760/iagonet

Has anybody read it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

treeboy posted:

Have we considered the possibility that (changes onward spoilers) The Fallen in Changes who convinces Harry to kill himself is in fact working for the "good guys" (and by good guys i mean the forces arrayed against Nemesis/Outsiders) Obviously we don't know a *ton* about the aims/desires of Hell in Dresdenverse, but as the Outsiders represent Chaos/annihilation/general dissolution of reality, it could be one of those John Milton situations of "better to rule in hell than...cease to exist"

Convincing Harry to off himself may seem counter productive, until one considers it allowed Uriel to convince Harry he could remain himself as he took upon the mantle of Winter and gained a power boost necessary to recover the artifacts in Skin Game.

I thought the last book basically confirmed that it was Lasciel that did that and it was for petty revenge.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

computer parts posted:

I thought the last book basically confirmed that it was Lasciel that did that and it was for petty revenge.

I don't know, she certainly knew about it but I'm not convinced it was actually her.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So butcher confirmed a while back that at least 2 red court vampires are still alive in the nevernever. Think we might get another vampire book before the end?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Slanderer posted:

So butcher confirmed a while back that at least 2 red court vampires are still alive in the nevernever. Think we might get another vampire book before the end?

No, he said the Eebs wouldn't have been killed by the Spell, not that they were necessarily alive.

Also, I'm frequently amused by how many Debate Disco regulars read the Dresden Files

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

No, he said the Eebs wouldn't have been killed by the Spell, not that they were necessarily alive.

Also, I'm frequently amused by how many Debate Disco regulars read the Dresden Files

If they weren't killed by the spell, they're alive and will be showing up again. That's way too big a gun not to fire especially considering how much damage they did to Harry.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ImpAtom posted:

If they weren't killed by the spell, they're alive and will be showing up again. That's way too big a gun not to fire especially considering how much damage they did to Harry.

They were left in the hands of some extremely unpleasant Fae bent on eating them, I believe.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I had to look up exactly what was said, and he didn't actually commit to them still being alive

https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/480824029943955456

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wade Wilson posted:

I just discovered that Jim Butcher apparently wrote a Spider-man novel called The Darkest Hour.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1416594760/iagonet

Has anybody read it?

I enjoyed it well enough. He writes Peter and Harry almost identically, and its a fairly standard Dresdenesque 'tons of poo poo going down at once.'

It also pulls really heavily on the Spider totem stuff and Dr. Strange is a big supporting character. Also the Rhino is an ally and Mary Jane is the real hero of the story.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 30, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VanSandman posted:

They were left in the hands of some extremely unpleasant Fae bent on eating them, I believe.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they actually got around to finishing them off.

Slanderer posted:

I had to look up exactly what was said, and he didn't actually commit to them still being alive

"Were" could also mean "they're not there anymore." That is, if anything, a really strong hint those guys are still around and kicking.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Slanderer posted:

Jesus christ Jim Butcher pumps some iron! And then updates his twitter showing his Larp costume..

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Exmond posted:

Jesus christ Jim Butcher pumps some iron! And then updates his twitter showing his Larp costume..

I bet every time he walks by GRRM he smirks and asks when ASoIaF will be finished.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they actually got around to finishing them off.

"Were" could also mean "they're not there anymore." That is, if anything, a really strong hint those guys are still around and kicking.

Isnt that highly secure location the sadistic torture dungeons of the Erlking? Not that that means they couldnt have gotten out though. Seeing as how they "belong" to the Erlking now he would be at liberty to trade them with other Fae. And if whoever traded for them has it out for Harry in some way...

At least I can imagine Titania doing that solely based on a revenge motive.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On one hand, they could have been killed unceremoniously offscreen, or we could have them come back with a serious grudge against Harry at a suitably dramatic moment.

Of course they're alive.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
It'd be great if they were used as a "see how much I've grown?" moment for Harry in the apocalypse trilogy. They pop out at a crucial time with a big "you thought we were dead?" only for Harry to shrug, blast them to Kingdom come then carry on dealing with the matter at hand. I mean imagine Harry against the FBI wolves now, or even the Loup Garou. Then think where he was when the Eebs were a threat to where he's likely to be when the poo poo hits the fan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Masonity posted:

It'd be great if they were used as a "see how much I've grown?" moment for Harry in the apocalypse trilogy. They pop out at a crucial time with a big "you thought we were dead?" only for Harry to shrug, blast them to Kingdom come then carry on dealing with the matter at hand. I mean imagine Harry against the FBI wolves now, or even the Loup Garou. Then think where he was when the Eebs were a threat to where he's likely to be when the poo poo hits the fan.

If they show up again they're probably going to get some substantial power boost. "We're the last of the Red Court and so their displaced power flowed into us and now we're the Red King and Queen" or something like that.

Basically there's no chance Harry is going to be up against an enemy who won't kick his rear end five ways to Sunday and require him to barely pull off a win. That isn't how Harry Dresden works.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Masonity posted:

One if my favorite moments along those lines was in Changes when he storms into a building, a vamp sees him, screams... And runs away shrieking in terror, warning the others to get the gently caress out NOW. In Storm Front and Grave Peril 1 red court vamp vs him is pretty much a grain feed death sentence for Harry unless he has a pre setup protection. By Changes he's grown so much as special ops teams of them runs the hell away

ImpAtom posted:

If they show up again they're probably going to get some substantial power boost. "We're the last of the Red Court and so their displaced power flowed into us and now we're the Red King and Queen" or something like that.

Basically there's no chance Harry is going to be up against an enemy who won't kick his rear end five ways to Sunday and require him to barely pull off a win. That isn't how Harry Dresden works.
well firstly I doubt that, the power of the Elder Council of the Black Court didn't flow to the survivors when they got wiped out. If it had the White Court plan would have made no sense, as it would have concentrated the threat even more.

Secondly that would work if Red King was a mantle, but even then mantles get their power through things like debts, obligations, and faith, all of which would have taken a significant kick to the jimmies by the action in Changes. I mean sure, they survive, but the army of loyal retainers, the billions of dollars, the lackey politicians, the favors owed by other supernatural beings... All those are gone. And whatever purpose that power existed for has gone unfulfilled for a while (both by the King being nuts and then everyone being dead), so they will need to spend time doing that stuff to unbreak those vows (like what Molly is doing now).

After a long time they may have more raw magical power, but they won't have the experience to use it proficiently and they will lack all the stuff that made the red court previously a threat. They'd be more like suicide bombers than a Marva style operator or the intelligence agents they were when the red court was around.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
In fact if they have survived and are used for something other than throw away bad guys to show growth their best chance would be siding with the black court. Two wounded courts banding together to rebuild.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
There's an interesting idea: What if Mavra turned the Eebs into Black Court vamps? Would that even work?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

There's an interesting idea: What if Mavra turned the Eebs into Black Court vamps? Would that even work?

Merge the two courts together somehow, each gaining the strengths of one to cover the weaknesses of the other - Black loses the Stoker weaknesses, Red gains the conversion speed and strength - to form a new court. We could call it... the Blackred Blood Court!

Oh god, I am become fanfiction

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Just FYI for anyone looking to get hardback copies of the earlier books without shelling out $100+ or scouring used book stores, Jim just posted the following on his Twitter:

Jim Butcher posted:

Storm Front is being reprinted in hardback! If you want a copy for your collection, you'll be able to order it in the next few days!

If enough copies sell, Penguin will reprint the other books in hardback too. Collectors and completists, THIS IS YOUR MOMENT.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 31, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MildShow posted:

Just FYI for anyone looking to get hardback copies of the earlier books without shelling out $100+ or scouring used book stores, Jim just posted the following on his Twitter:

One day some of you plebeians may have a collection that rivals mine.

One day.

"May."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I liked the way the paperback covers drew attention to the naming scheme, but I'm ready to replace them with hardbacks I'll never read.