Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NightWig
Aug 12, 2013

Retail Slave posted:

Did you get these out of one of GBS's "gently caress all cops forever" threads?

No,That dude just subscribes to the theory of "gently caress all cops forever unless they target brown people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Excels posted:

completely possible that is 100% serious. tumblr is a real grab bag of delusional oppressed minorities.

It's a troll blog.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

bean_shadow posted:

I've had people freely bitch to me about those freeloaders on government money. They backpedal when I tell them I'm on disability. "Oh, well, I didn't mean YOU. I mean those that abuse it."
Watching people backpedal is a beautiful thing. I was recently tempted to tell someone that I'd paid for Plan B contraception through my insurance (not true) when she complained about people doing that. And then go "Hmm" and look disapproving when she started backpedaling.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Amused to Death posted:

Honestly America(maybe Canada, I don't know what's going on up there, I don't know if Canada even exists anymore) is probably among the most chill in regards to immigrants vd every other western nation despite the loud mouth loons.

In my own experience, I would argue that Canada is far more accepting of immigrants than the United States. My dad is a first-gen Canadian whose parents migrated from Italy after WWII, though I cannot say for sure what my grandparents' experiences were like in the mid-20th century; they also decided to move to Victoria instead of Toronto largely to avoid the major Italian immigrant conclave there. For the Americans, that's like moving to San Francisco as opposed to New York in terms of distance, culture and climate.

What's really weird is that for the most part, Canada has followed the US in pretty much all its policies against immigrants until fairly recently: we also excluded the Chinese and interned the Japanese, but we also turned away a bunch of Sikhs on the West Coast. I have no idea why we suddenly became more tolerant of immigrants - especially Asian immigrants.

To be fair, I have heard and seen a bit of anti-immigrant sentiment (ironically from my dad's sister and her husband and a little from my grand parents) but it's pretty closeted. Racism against First Nations peoples, however :suicide:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

In my own experience, I would argue that Canada is far more accepting of immigrants than the United States. My dad is a first-gen Canadian whose parents migrated from Italy after WWII, though I cannot say for sure what my grandparents' experiences were like in the mid-20th century; they also decided to move to Victoria instead of Toronto largely to avoid the major Italian immigrant conclave there. For the Americans, that's like moving to San Francisco as opposed to New York in terms of distance, culture and climate.

What's really weird is that for the most part, Canada has followed the US in pretty much all its policies against immigrants until fairly recently: we also excluded the Chinese and interned the Japanese, but we also turned away a bunch of Sikhs on the West Coast. I have no idea why we suddenly became more tolerant of immigrants - especially Asian immigrants.

To be fair, I have heard and seen a bit of anti-immigrant sentiment (ironically from my dad's sister and her husband and a little from my grand parents) but it's pretty closeted. Racism against First Nations peoples, however :suicide:

Canada's pretty lovely if you don't have money though. If you're coming for a work visa the company has to basically prove that there is not a single person in existence in that area that can fulfill that job position which is why you're hiring from overseas. It can't be bullshit reasons either, and if there's one thing out of place they'll deport you faster than you can appeal.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Canada's pretty lovely if you don't have money though. If you're coming for a work visa the company has to basically prove that there is not a single person in existence in that area that can fulfill that job position which is why you're hiring from overseas. It can't be bullshit reasons either, and if there's one thing out of place they'll deport you faster than you can appeal.

poo poo, forgot about that one. That and recently there's been a huge kerfuffle about using temporary foreign workers although to be fair, that's a more of a human rights abuse issue than an immigration one.

Hey, how about some new content?

GID Watch is noted trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF, for short) Cathy Brennan and she hates RationalWiki with a passion for showing how horrible a human being she is on account of her trying to find more and more ways to out and shame trans women. For the record, MRAs also despise RationalWiki for pointing out how inane they are:

RationalWiki posted:

Men's rights activists have been criticized for privilege blindness and their tendency towards "mansplaining." Frequently, MRA arguments rely on gross generalizations (often extrapolated from anecdotal evidence) and outdated views ("Men do all the hard work and have to work outside of the home, while women get the easy jobs.") Men's rights activists also have a reputation for palpable anger, based on their personal experiences of relationships, divorce, or the law. This stereotype is common to almost all fringe groups, however, as can be seen from the "angry feminist who wants to destroy men" stereotype (which has even greater currency in pop culture).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

I've heard "we're against illegal immigration".

Lots of racist people use legal versus illegal immigration as a cover, but Americans are kind of sticklers for rules and regulations. At least I've read that's how other countries view us. Being from here I can't tell if we're more hung up on adhering to our little rules or not.

But the concept of good immigration versus bad immigration is an actual thing. If the government changed the law and streamlined the process you'd still have people bitching (like how they do now over work visas), but as many people would be happy with a process that followed the law, regardless of whether it let in brown people.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
as a canadian, i can confirm that canada doesn't exist.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Excels posted:

as a canadian, i can confirm that canada doesn't exist.

I went Vancouver and got a really bizarre and very Canadian lesson about first nation peoples in Stanley park. I said natives once by reflex and they gave me this crazy eyed look.

What the gently caress was that aboot? Because that was almost weirder than the empty rear end Olympic village and hearing tomahto irl.

Is someone who was native to the area being called a native offensive?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

Click the picture for a special surprise :ssh:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

poo poo, forgot about that one. That and recently there's been a huge kerfuffle about using temporary foreign workers although to be fair, that's a more of a human rights abuse issue than an immigration one.

And then there was this incident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Sun_Sea_incident

I remember there was a copy of the Calgary Sun in the breakroom each day at work during all of this, and everyone who wrote for them were losing their loving minds over a shipload of "terrorists" trying to invade Canada, and how BC is so horribly Liberal they'd just let them walk in and start killing us.

Wasabi the J posted:

I went Vancouver and got a really bizarre and very Canadian lesson about first nation peoples in Stanley park. I said natives once by reflex and they gave me this crazy eyed look.

What the gently caress was that aboot? Because that was almost weirder than the empty rear end Olympic village and hearing tomahto irl.

Is someone who was native to the area being called a native offensive?

Overly sensitive white people thinking they're doing the natives a favour by being super sensitive towards them. Only natives can call themselves natives and Indians. Which they do, no one I've ever known or encountered has called themselves First Nations unless it's a really formal situation, but then that's anecdotal too.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jul 29, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tyvm can you explain why they said tomahto and bahsil soup tia??

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Canada also has a problem with racism against first nation people as you can tell by the posts above.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Clearly the best option is only to like; you'll care, but it won't be because you miss them, only that your feed won't be clogged with that stuff. :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

quote:

White men should breed with White women. Yellow Men should breed with Yellow Women. Brown men should breed with Brown women. Black men should breed with Black women. Miscegenation leads to identity crisis amongst the offspring.

Furthermore, even within races, I personally believe people should intermarry with people of their own regional or cultural or ethno-linguistic heritage.

These interracial half breeds become indoctrinated and psychologically castrated by the disgusting satanic opiate of the masses: cultural marxism and moral relativism masquerading as unregulated multiculturalism and tolerance for the intolerant.

It's hilarious reading their comments in a forum that I joined in Facebook. These liberal retarded mongrels should be rendered by society worldwide as outcasts, evicted to a reservation or even better. FINAL SOLUTION

The war against terror and the factional strife in Africa and the Middle East are a waste of time, attention and resources.

The eradication of foreign influence in one's homeland by fighting a war that leads to the resurgence of the natives is what you call a just war. Like the war that Adolf Hitler launched against the parasites of German and European society. These are what you call righteous wars.

Obviously to do this you need power and unity of the populace. - Jie Guang Liu

:psyduck: How do you troll someone who is literally a Nazi?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

StashAugustine posted:

Copy paste quotes from Jews?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

StashAugustine posted:

Pretend to be a Jewish Supremacist, use "Jews control the world/the Holocaust never happened" conspiracies as evidence that Gentiles are inferior to Jews and anything that Gentiles did that was successful was either a) Gentiles acting as puppets for the Jewish masters, or b) actually never happened at all, just a comforting lie Gentiles tell themselves to make them feel better about being the inferior race.

Serious answer: Soviet propaganda.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wasabi the J posted:

Tyvm can you explain why they said tomahto and bahsil soup tia??

What? I'm just saying that there's a sizeable group of Canadians that think we're being racist if we say native and not first nations. That's all.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The comment thread is pretty whatthefuck too, at least the only person I'm directly friends with is saying he's crazy (and he's a monarchist truther at that)

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

There's a new Conservative Facebook alternative out now, called Reaganbook. It should be a goldmine.

Thread in GBS about it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654079

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stalin McHitler posted:

There's a new Conservative Facebook alternative out now, called Reaganbook. It should be a goldmine.

Thread in GBS about it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654079

Was the other one too liberal?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

lol.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

dregan posted:

Click the picture for a special surprise :ssh:

Well played.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

To be fair, that is in pretty poor taste.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I just love the opiate of the masses thing followed by marxism as a bad thing. So little understanding...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Retail Slave posted:

To be fair, that is in pretty poor taste.

Oh come on. The building isn't even close to tower shaped and it's just a generic explosion. The visual connection is so vague that I think it's being overly sensitive to find it wrong.

I mean, it's like if a movie poster showed a boat sinking with the date December 7th (Pearl Harbor). Except the boat doesn't remotely resemble an American warship and it's not being attacked by a plane. You'd sound ridiculous if you tried to draw the connection.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

BonHair posted:

I just love the opiate of the masses thing followed by marxism as a bad thing. So little understanding...

I love how it basically boils down to class warfare except with Jews instead of rich people, but also Marxism is the work of the devil.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh come on. The building isn't even close to tower shaped and it's just a generic explosion. The visual connection is so vague that I think it's being overly sensitive to find it wrong.

I mean, it's like if a movie poster showed a boat sinking with the date December 7th (Pearl Harbor). Except the boat doesn't remotely resemble an American warship and it's not being attacked by a plane. You'd sound ridiculous if you tried to draw the connection.

Sounds like someone forgot :911:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chomp8645 posted:

Cmon guys a skyscraper with an explosion could in no way evoke memories of 9/11 especially when the date 9/11 is specifically mentioned. God guys don't be idiots.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Except the movie comes out August 8th?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

DrProsek posted:

Serious answer: Soviet propaganda.

The caption says "always together". You can pretend it's about communist interracial gay marriage, I think that covers all the bases.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
The target audience for that movie was born after 9/11 or too young to remember it happening. It's been 14 years I think we can let it slide. Unless this is 9/11/2012 and the turtles are the 4 people that died in Benghazi...makes u think.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Je suis fatigue posted:

The target audience for that movie was born after 9/11 or too young to remember it happening. It's been 14 years I think we can let it slide. Unless this is 9/11/2012 and the turtles are the 4 people that died in Benghazi...makes u think.

The original Ninja Turtles movie came out almost 25 years ago the target audience definitely remembers 9/11.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Ragequit posted:

Except the movie comes out August 8th?

This was for the Australian release.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ThatPazuzu posted:

This was for the Australian release.

Ah, I forgot about Australian 9/11.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Picnic Princess posted:

And then there was this incident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Sun_Sea_incident

I remember there was a copy of the Calgary Sun in the breakroom each day at work during all of this, and everyone who wrote for them were losing their loving minds over a shipload of "terrorists" trying to invade Canada, and how BC is so horribly Liberal they'd just let them walk in and start killing us.

Overly sensitive white people thinking they're doing the natives a favour by being super sensitive towards them. Only natives can call themselves natives and Indians. Which they do, no one I've ever known or encountered has called themselves First Nations unless it's a really formal situation, but then that's anecdotal too.

This is not a criticism of you at all, but are you aboriginal? I ask this because it's definitely not overly sensitive white people, but definitely aboriginal people who see the term native, Indian, and other terms as oppressive because they are essentially a colonized name that was imposed by the Canadian government.

I use the term aboriginal because it's generally accepted as the academic term, in papers and publications particularly, but I have seen a recent push for Indigenous. Some choose to identify as their particular background, ie I've seen people who are Ojibwe prefer to be called "anishnabe", but that can be difficult because there are so many different people who might identify as different things.

The safest blanket terms currently are aboriginal and indigenous, not native, or even First Nations. Many larger organizations with Indian in their name are changing.

It becomes difficult because there are people who are fine with identifying as native or Indian, and some who are vehemently against it. I work with aboriginal people in an academic environment and have heard different people describe themselves differently. Okay that's all!

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Jul 29, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
TRIGGER WARNING: 9/11 IMAGERY

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chomp8645 posted:

TRIGGER WARNING: 9/11 IMAGERY

Let me help you out.

If this were for the American release it would be pretty tasteless. I'm guessing 9/11 isn't a big deal in Australia, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

kazil posted:

The original Ninja Turtles movie came out almost 25 years ago the target audience definitely remembers 9/11.

The audience of the original movie isn't the target audience of this movie though. It's a movie about mutant turtles doing ninja poo poo and eating pizza. You're not going to hit the 29-40 demo real hard with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

The audience of the original movie isn't the target audience of this movie though. It's a movie about mutant turtles doing ninja poo poo and eating pizza. You're not going to hit the 29-40 demo real hard with that one.

I think you are way underestimating the nostalgia draw.

• Locked thread