Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bisticles posted:

I feel like they'd all have their place in the correct context. An alternating grey and lighter-grey forum doesn't always make the best frame for portraits I've seen in here, but that doesn't mean they aren't exactly what's needed for a particular project.

Are the gelled lights in #2 diffused or something? I really like the look of them.

But yeah, guy in #4 looks like "Oh god, what do I do with my hands? What do people do with their hands? What do I normally do with my hands when I'm not thinking about my hands? Is this something a normal Earth-human does... I don't know... please just take my picture and let me go home now"

Yeah, I see what everyone means with the hands. Directing people is hard for me; I never can really think of what I want them to do; and with quick grabs, which many of these are, I also feel like I'm stealing someone's time. I freeze up and just take a few frames. I need to get over that.

The gelled lights aren't diffused, but they're largeish hotlights, so a bigger source than one mgiht expect. The minimum amount of fill and tiny catchlights were provided by a hotshoe mini LED bank.

I'm curious to hear what people mean by the 'flat' tones in the first black and white. What's making it flat? I usually hear that term applied to frontal light, where dimension is hard to see. Is it because the light is so diffused (open shade)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Maybe I'm missing something, why is he so underexposed?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

thetzar posted:

Yeah, I see what everyone means with the hands. Directing people is hard for me; I never can really think of what I want them to do; and with quick grabs, which many of these are, I also feel like I'm stealing someone's time. I freeze up and just take a few frames. I need to get over that.

The gelled lights aren't diffused, but they're largeish hotlights, so a bigger source than one mgiht expect. The minimum amount of fill and tiny catchlights were provided by a hotshoe mini LED bank.

I'm curious to hear what people mean by the 'flat' tones in the first black and white. What's making it flat? I usually hear that term applied to frontal light, where dimension is hard to see. Is it because the light is so diffused (open shade)?

Part of it is the diffusion, but I think more people are looking at the relative lack of contrast in the image which to me has to do with what you did in post (unless this is Flickr loving with the black point of the image).

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

triplexpac posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, why is he so underexposed?

Not sure either, but at least nobody can say "the background is blown out and it ruins the pic!"

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The guy is actually properly exposed, he is that dim in real life.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Subyng posted:

The guy is actually properly exposed, he is that dim in real life.

drat sorry, I didn't mean to exposure shame

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

triplexpac posted:

drat sorry, I didn't mean to exposure shame

Would you F-ng stop already. :v:

widunder
May 2, 2002
Candid portrait photography (with manual focus) is hard

widunder fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 29, 2014

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

widunder posted:

God, those are sharp as gently caress. Well done. What body is that?

widunder
May 2, 2002

Neowyrm posted:

God, those are sharp as gently caress. Well done. What body is that?
An old Canon FD 50mm adapted to X-E1.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

widunder posted:

This one is beauty. Since I got the Fuji X-T1 I've been loving adapting FD lenses.

widunder posted:

An old Canon FD 50mm adapted to X-E1.

A 50mm (f/3.5 macro, though) is next on the list.

Rot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 29, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Would you F-ng stop already. :v:

Ugh, I shuttered at that one.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Subyng posted:

Ugh, I shuttered at that one.

I SO TIRED OF ALL DEES JOKES

Subyng
May 4, 2013
There's no need to flip out over it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I hate all of you so much.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Well it really was that dim at 7 in the morning, and sadly I can't push the shadows much with Provia.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

I hate all of you so much.

I guess you aren't Leicing these puns? In my opinion they're the highlight of this thread. But I guess some would consider such posts to just be noise.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 30, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Subyng posted:

I guess you aren't Leicing these puns? In my opinion they're the highlight of this thread. But I guess some would consider such posts to just be noise.

Please do not post.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

1st AD posted:

Part of it is the diffusion, but I think more people are looking at the relative lack of contrast in the image which to me has to do with what you did in post (unless this is Flickr loving with the black point of the image).

Gotcha. Here's what the image looks like straight from the raw, for anyone who's curious: http://imgur.com/nxDWz7B

This one is entirely unrelated:

under the wave by thetzar, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

thetzar posted:

Gotcha. Here's what the image looks like straight from the raw, for anyone who's curious: http://imgur.com/nxDWz7B

It's a nice photo. I kind of like it straight from the camera.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
ISO a good pun. Contact me if you have one.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I'll get you back to camera pun chat in a flash, but first, here's something I did last night with another local photographer. Just trying out some new lighting and processing options.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bisticles posted:

I'll get you back to camera pun chat in a flash, but first, here's something I did last night with another local photographer. Just trying out some new lighting and processing options.

Would you share your lighting setup? There's something... funny happening with that strap of light around his chin.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Look at the catchlights and shadows from the glasses. I think it's just a bit of an awkward double chin.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Lighting was a gridded 22" silver beauty dish 3' out and just high enough to shoot under, and another strobe with a 9" reflector and 15° grid about 12' back. Background is just gelled speedlites.

I think what you're seeing is light bouncing off of his upper chest, at least on the left side of the image. On the right, it's the rimlight. It looks smoother in the native file, imgur strikes again on subtle details.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Untitled
by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
A couple recent shots:

Kehli by kschruder, on Flickr

Vicky by kschruder, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

This one feels really weird, it's oddly unbalanced on the left.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's weird because that girl is freakishly skinny.

widunder
May 2, 2002
More hand in face action

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

widunder posted:

More hand in face action

Try to catch him before he's smoked it down to the filter next time, it wasn't even obvious it was a cigarette in the thumbnail.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

widunder posted:

More hand in face action

RIP in peace Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

(I like it)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

Try to catch him before he's smoked it down to the filter next time, it wasn't even obvious it was a cigarette in the thumbnail.

He hasn't smoked it to the filter, it's just foreshortening.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I saw a co-worker sitting like this during a meeting, giving someone this face. I asked her to duplicate the look after the meeting was over.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

thetzar posted:

I saw a co-worker sitting like this during a meeting, giving someone this face. I asked her to duplicate the look after the meeting was over.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Shoes/bare feet make it. Good stuff.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm THIS close to purchasing an oliphant backdrop for my portraiture. What does everyone think about them? Overrated? Worth it? You're crazy somnambulist? I want cake?

Look how beautiful this isssss

I dunno what to do :ohdear:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

somnambulist posted:

I'm THIS close to purchasing an oliphant backdrop for my portraiture. What does everyone think about them? Overrated? Worth it? You're crazy somnambulist? I want cake?

Look how beautiful this isssss

I dunno what to do :ohdear:

holy poo poo that's nice

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

It's between that one and something like this

I wish they were cheaper or I'd get both. They make amazing poo poo.

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 3, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

somnambulist posted:

It's between that one and something like this

I wish they were cheaper or I'd get both. They make amazing poo poo.

If it were me I'd go with the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

SoundMonkey posted:

If it were me I'd go with the first one.

I linked the wrong one, what do you think of the one i just edited?