Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

Protip- crack open the front housing and clean out the nasty grease + replace with some supermoly- we have a half dozen of these kicking around and one has yet to die.

Standard HF advice and I forgot to mention that.

I always consider HF purchases to be kit builds. They get stripped and various swarf/casting flash/etc is removed and they are properly finished and lubricated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My Makita angle grinder has been going strong for the last 15 or so years. But hell, if you can get a serviceable angle grinder for less than a couple of happy meals go for it!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Protip: Skip HF abrasives. They contain some really nasty stuff (cancer warnings on every package) that good name-brand abrasives don't, and they either cut OK, but don't last for poo poo, or don't cut, and last forever. Either way, their grinders aren't awful, but their abrasives are. I'd stick to Norton, Sait, DeWalt, Metabo, or someone else that you've heard of in the past. Check out the vendor forum over on pirate4x4 for some really good package deals, too. I've been buying from Amazon, my LWS, Heleta (generic discs, but good quality), roarksupply.com, http://www.wylaco.com/, and many others. I stocked up on flapdiscs when Amazon had Norton RedHeat's on sale for like $10/box.

I've got a Makita 4", a Makita 4.5" (old beater), a Metabo 4.5", and a Milwaukee 5"/6". They all get used, and it's certainly nice to be able to keep a flapdisc on the 4", a coarse wheel on the Metabo, a cutoff on the Makita 4.5, and a 6" aggressive wheel on the Milwaukee. Swapping wheels every 5 minutes is annoying as hell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

Protip: Skip HF abrasives. They contain some really nasty stuff (cancer warnings on every package) that good name-brand abrasives don't, and they either cut OK, but don't last for poo poo, or don't cut, and last forever. Either way, their grinders aren't awful, but their abrasives are. I'd stick to Norton, Sait, DeWalt, Metabo, or someone else that you've heard of in the past. Check out the vendor forum over on pirate4x4 for some really good package deals, too. I've been buying from Amazon, my LWS, Heleta (generic discs, but good quality), roarksupply.com, http://www.wylaco.com/, and many others. I stocked up on flapdiscs when Amazon had Norton RedHeat's on sale for like $10/box.

I've got a Makita 4", a Makita 4.5" (old beater), a Metabo 4.5", and a Milwaukee 5"/6". They all get used, and it's certainly nice to be able to keep a flapdisc on the 4", a coarse wheel on the Metabo, a cutoff on the Makita 4.5, and a 6" aggressive wheel on the Milwaukee. Swapping wheels every 5 minutes is annoying as hell.

Agreed.

I used HF abrasives for a long time and kinda wonder how many cancers I'm going to get as a result. Oh well. They're made in Russia and I wouldn't be surprised if the carcinogenic compounds involved are either silica abrasives (silicosis, and fine silica dusts are increasibly being implicated in occupational lung cancer...) or asbestos. Most good abrasives with no cancer warnings are alumina based - alumina hasn't been classed as carcinogenic... yet.

I almost exclusively use swapmeet-purchased grinding wheels (because $1 grinding wheels have me convinced, and they work pretty well) and Heleta cutoffs. Most of my knotted wire wheels come from HF simply because Heleta stopped making flat ones, they only do cups now, and Home Depot wants like loving $25 for a wire wheel, which is ridiculous.

I've got a craftsman grinder for grinding wheels that I hate because it's like holding a soupcan, but it was free since I found it abandoned in a junkyard. 2 Ryobi grinders that I like, except after a few years the threads for the side handle stripped out, mostly due to me using them without fully tightening the handle. And one newer Craftsman grinder that is actually the first one I bought. It's kinda beat, but still works. All 4.5".

Honestly I prefer the Ryobi ones. If I had to choose one to buy four of, that's what I'd go with - I'd just get a helicoil kit for the thread size the side handle uses. Having more than one grinder is great for fabricating, because I can keep a grinding wheel, cutoff wheel, knotted wire wheel, and flap wheel on grinders all at once and just grab whichever I need at the moment instead of wasting time changing discs.

Oh, and if you get an HF grinder, make sure you take it apart, clean it up, regrease, retighten and loctite bolts, etc. I was using one at Fart Pipe's shop a couple years ago and it was making a sorta funny noise, I assumed the gears were about to strip. Then it tried to steal my nuts by firing a cooling fan blade at me through a vent. Apparently one of the screws inside backed out a bit more than it should and interfered with the blades... so we tore it down, broke the blade opposite the missing one off to "balance" it, reassembled it, and kept working :banjo:

(that was a really bad idea, in retrospect)

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 28, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You should have broke off two on the perpendicular axis as well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm a sucker for Metabo. I have three of their grinders (W7 4.5", W8 5", and the amazing WEPBA14-150 - http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-WEPBA14-150-Quick-12-2-Amp-Mechanical/dp/B009ATG27W/) I've been buying their abrasives off ebay in lots of ~10, 25, and 50 as they pop up quite often for 1/2 the price Amazon or Zoro wants- at this point I'm never running out of cut off discs. I have yet to actually buy a grinder disc for any of them, mainly using flap discs and cut off discs. They seem to pop up on CL pretty often for ~ $50-60 and are well worth it if you want a grinder that will take years of abuse.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the angle grinder suggestions. I've got my eye on this Metabo W8-115.

But a follow-up question. I wanted to buy an angle grinder for multi-purpose applications. The first thing I'd use it for is cutting this rusted, metal bracket off of our vanity mirror:

Is an angle grinder overkill for this? Or am I better off getting a dremel rotary tool for now? I was really hoping to just get an angle grinder for all of my metal-cutting needs.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 29, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

melon cat posted:

Thanks for the angle grinder suggestions. I've got my eye on this Metabo W8-115.

But a follow-up question. I wanted to buy an angle grinder for multi-purpose applications. The first thing I'd use it for is cutting this rusted, metal bracket off of our vanity mirror:

Is an angle grinder overkill for this? Or am I better off getting a dremel rotary tool for now? I was really hoping to just get an angle grinder for all of my metal-cutting needs.

If you go at that bracket with an angle grinder, you have roughly a 117% chance of shattering the mirror; a Dremel won't be that much better either. Best do the job properly and slide the mirror out of the brackets.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

If you go at that bracket with an angle grinder, you have roughly a 117% chance of shattering the mirror; a Dremel won't be that much better either. Best do the job properly and slide the mirror out of the brackets.
I wish that were an option, but the builder made our bathroom in such a way that the mirror couldn't be easily removed. There's a rack immediately to the left of the mirror, which you don't see in the picture. And I'm not even able to slide the mirror out- it just won't budge at all. As I'm finding out, the entire house was built in this idiotic fashion. For example, in order to unplug and remove our washer/dryer we have to remove the loving furnace. The joy of cheaply-built, mass-produced, cookie-cutter housing.

So, I'm not entirely sad about the mirror getting obliterated. I'm re-doing the entire bathroom.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just get a small cut-off wheel for a dremmel. attack it from the bottom, but just weaken it to the point where you can bend it rather than cutting it right off.

edit: Also, hold the dremmel in a fashion so if it catches and jumps, it jumps away from the mirror.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Or throw poo poo at the mirror until it shatters and remove the pieces.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

oxbrain posted:

Or throw poo poo at the mirror until it shatters and remove the pieces.

Seconding this, tape the mirror and go hog wild with some stress relief.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just bend the bracket down?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I need to smooth out chips in a transmission gear. What type of Dremel and stone dremel wheel would be best for this job, assuming I'd like to keep the Dremel for various smaller steel metal jobs later?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Can anyone recommend a good vacuum leak tester (for car work, the smoke machine kind), or steer me away from garbage? :v:

My budget is Kobalt/Husky/Craftsman money, not Snap-On money.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Splizwarf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum leak tester (for car work, the smoke machine kind), or steer me away from garbage? :v:

Dude just spray carb cleaner or brake clean over your intake, if the car hicups you found it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Depending on what i'm drinking, i either go with a cuban montecristo, or a gurkha titan.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Are you looking for a leak down tester?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cylinder-leak-down-tester-94190.html

Where do you think you have a vacuum leak?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

No, I am looking for a pressurized smoke-producing tester for air leaks. All I am finding is $700+ kits, which drives me nuts because until last Christmas I thought I had 4 different ones around $100 bookmarked on Amazon.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Splizwarf posted:

No, I am looking for a pressurized smoke-producing tester for air leaks. All I am finding is $700+ kits, which drives me nuts because until last Christmas I thought I had 4 different ones around $100 bookmarked on Amazon.

The only cheap solution I've ever seen is a DIY involving a tin can, a glowplug, and some hobby store smoke solution for model trains, along with some form of air to propel it into whatever you are smoke testing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Splizwarf posted:

We used this to test fuming chambers: http://www.amazon.com/American-Science-Surplus-Wizard-Stick/dp/B000FIN0V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406748422&sr=8-1&keywords=smoke+wizard

It produces some smoke, but may be trouble in an engine bay with a lot of air moving from the fan. Also it's like $20.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Super cheap but not pressurized = incense stick (useful for spot checking leaks in doors and windows anyway; have not tried in auto applications….yet).

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Where do you think you have an air leak?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Used a 25% off orders over 300 at Zoro (valid today only code: delicious) to get the Hobart 140 welder I've been looking at. So. Excited.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

Where do you think you have an air leak?

Various places, various vehicles. One I suspect behind a welded heat shield on an exhaust manifold. Another in the (ridiculously inaccessible) PCV junction on a Passat 1.8T. My own car responds to the "spray starter fluid/gum cutter/etc" technique around the manifold but only once in a while, hot or cold.

I have never had a lot of luck with that method in general, whereas the smoke machine at work gives good results every single time. There's been dozens of moments over the past couple years where a smoke tester was the quickest and most accurate tool for the job. So that's what I'm shopping for. v:shobon:v

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Do you have any way of pressurizing your intake? I use a boost leak tester with dawn dish soap in a spray bottle and it works perfectly.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Apropos of nothing, Tanga is running a big sale on mechanic's gloves from Mechanix, Snap-On, and a couple other brands. Average prices are around half-off or so.

https://www.tanga.com/deals/heavy-duty-work-gloves-6-17?internal_campaign=front_event_sales

No idea when it ends.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splizwarf posted:

Various places, various vehicles. One I suspect behind a welded heat shield on an exhaust manifold. Another in the (ridiculously inaccessible) PCV junction on a Passat 1.8T. My own car responds to the "spray starter fluid/gum cutter/etc" technique around the manifold but only once in a while, hot or cold.

I have never had a lot of luck with that method in general, whereas the smoke machine at work gives good results every single time. There's been dozens of moments over the past couple years where a smoke tester was the quickest and most accurate tool for the job. So that's what I'm shopping for. v:shobon:v

9v battery, 40mm computer fan, momentary switch, incense cone or stick, chopped up coke can for a housing, make your own.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846 ? :shrug:

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Is anyone really familiar with Proto ratchets? I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for my 5450 but everyone I see online has a screw on cover, but I need one with a snap ring cover.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

fps_bill posted:

Is anyone really familiar with Proto ratchets? I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for my 5450 but everyone I see online has a screw on cover, but I need one with a snap ring cover.

Ask or search on garage journal... they know all of that stuff.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
UK special offer from Halfords:

Original price is £160, currently £80 - £60 is a bloody good price.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Ah, I'd jump on that but I think I already own everything in it piecemeal. :(

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

spog posted:

UK special offer from Halfords:

Original price is £160, currently £80 - £60 is a bloody good price.

I keep clicking on the banner on their site which says £60 but it's showing up at £80 in the checkout :(

I have the largest set already but have been thinking of a smaller set to keep in the car, and this would be perfect.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Can anyone recommend a quality tap and die set to keep around for when you really need to chase that dragon? Preferably metric, but I'll take a combination set too.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

McSpatula posted:

Can anyone recommend a quality tap and die set to keep around for when you really need to chase that dragon? Preferably metric, but I'll take a combination set too.

I have had surprisingly good luck with the cheapo Canadian Tire set. I bought it wanting to check it off my list, thinking that I wouldn't use it often enough for it to matter. Turns out I use it all the time, and they work great.

Speaking of taps, having a set of these on hand has saved me so much trouble. Another thing I kind of bought on a whim because I was looking to buy something, and had it turn out to be super useful.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McSpatula posted:

Do you want a thread chase kit or a tap and die set?

For tap and die sets, check out this: http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-26376-Machine-Fractional

For a thread chase kit: http://www.amazon.com/Lang-972-Fractional-Metric-Restorer

Both are USA made. Both have held up to years of abuse.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McSpatula posted:

For fixing existing threads, this is unbeatable. Will fix any threads.

http://www.amazon.com/Combination-Thread-Repair-Set-External/dp/B003YGWPYQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1407732442&sr=1-3

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I keep clicking on the banner on their site which says £60 but it's showing up at £80 in the checkout :(

I have the largest set already but have been thinking of a smaller set to keep in the car, and this would be perfect.

You're a day too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

spog posted:

You're a day too early.

It was after midnight in my time zone!

Edit: It's up there now though. Thanks Halfords for being on EST or whatever.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 11, 2014