Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I gave up on the ComputerCraft-controlled essentia refiller and went with a brute force option. Ugly, but it gets the job done:

But for whatever reason I still had a to bug to do some coding and ended up cobbling together a status screen for kicks. It still needs some tweaking, but I'm pretty happy with it for a first pass:

This was my first attempt at doing anything with monitors, and while I still stole most of the code from various places, I think I'm finally getting the LUA syntax down. It's really neat what you can do with ComputerCraft (when it works anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Pollyzoid posted:

StaticUtils.java line 251, you want:
Java code:
float divisor = Math.pow(1000, letterIdx);
In the image it was dividing the number by 2000 instead of the intended 1,000,000.

Derp. I thought I'd written it as 1000^idx instead of idx*1000. Thanks, tracked as issue #252 and will fix soon.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a common mod for making large, sliding doors? I wanted to make a really sterile-looking room for MineChem stuff, and sticky pistons don't really cut it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a common mod for making large, sliding doors? I wanted to make a really sterile-looking room for MineChem stuff, and sticky pistons don't really cut it.

If you've got the Tinker's set of mods (specifically Mechworks), you can use drawbridges.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's Malisis Doors which is pretty cool. I haven't seen it in any mod packs, but you can do custom sized doors that vanish with a redstone signal and there's also some sliding doors. It's actually a pretty cool mod all around. Last time I tired it it was kind of buggy, but it looks like something that might start showing up in mod packs soon if it is stable. You can do all kinds of neat things with the block mixer, garage doors (kind of like what you want), and the vanishing door frames that have 3 different redstone propogation options.

Otherwise, there's no common door mods. Doors and elevators (OpenBlocks elevator is fine functionality wise) are the saddest mod zone I suppose. RIM (Remain in Motion / Redstone in Motion) can probably make doors or elevators and was somewhat common before.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 28, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Khorne posted:

There's Malisis Doors which is pretty cool. I haven't seen it in any mod packs, but you can do custom sized doors that vanish with a redstone signal and there's also some sliding doors. It's actually a pretty cool mod all around. Last time I tired it it was kind of buggy, but it looks like something that might start showing up in mod packs soon if it is stable. You can do all kinds of neat things with the block mixer, garage doors (kind of like what you want), and the vanishing door frames that have 3 different redstone propogation options.

Otherwise, there's no common door mods. Doors and elevators (OpenBlocks elevator is fine functionality wise) are the saddest mod zone I suppose. RIM (Remain in Motion / Redstone in Motion) can probably make doors or elevators and was somewhat common before.

Woah, that mod looks pretty sweet. I hope it gets updated to 1.7.10 soon.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Redstone in Motion can do it, although due to the pauses added in by default they're a little janky. Hooking a Programmable Rednet Controller up to the Carriages allows for some interesting options for opening and closing them. Unfortunately, you can't panel Rednet Cables flush, so it can get kinda bulky. Here's the pretty and ugly sides of one, although I'm currently in the process of tearing all this stuff down and moving it.

I think they could be reduced to four tall if you used panels and a redstone torch on the underside but then you need to play with inverting the signal and I haven't really played with it yet.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

In case there was any doubt, AE2 is the coolest mod.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Check out the galacticraft airlock if you have it available.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm using tinker mechworks drawbridges for my elevator doors. Works ok.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Taffer posted:

In case there was any doubt, AE2 is the coolest mod.

I am still in doubt, due to rumors of terrible crafting processes, an expensiveness of hooking the AE system into a large number of machines. Can you confirm or deny these rumors?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Hagop posted:

I am still in doubt, due to rumors of terrible crafting processes, an expensiveness of hooking the AE system into a large number of machines. Can you confirm or deny these rumors?

(disclaimer edit: I have yet to actually try AE2 out)

Looking at the wiki for AE2 (http://ae2.ae-mod.info/), it does look like everything is a lot more complicated. I want to give AlgorithmX2 the benefit of the doubt, but some of it looks supremely un-fun.

ME networks no longer require an ME Controller. If there's no controller, the network is 'ad-hoc' and can only support up to 8 channels, meaning 8 network components. Anything more and the entire network shuts down. You can get around this, and have a 'normal' ME network by using an ME controller, but now they're multiblock structures (I guess it can be 1 to any-number of blocks, looking at the wiki entry) and they can connect between 8 and 32 channels per face of the controller. So I guess you need a bigger controller if you want to have a really big network.

ME controllers are much more expensive, requiring Sky Stone Blocks. Sky Stone comes from meteor craters (I guess?) that are a random world gen feature.
The meteors also contain circuit plates, which you need to be able to make any processors whatsoever. So you can't really do anything with an ME network until you find yourself a few meteors. The meteors at least look like they're really big.

It looks like import/export buses and ME interfaces will require special upgrade cards to perform the crafting functions they used to be able to do automatically.

I might be reading this wrong, but it looks like autocrafting is performed by individual CPUs which each require their own multiblock structure. Meaning that each multiblock structure can handle a single recipe.

As I write it out, it sounds like 1) a slog and 2) like the days of being able to easily build up an elegant, functional ME network relatively quickly are over. It looks really cool aesthetically but I'm left wondering why I should bother when I could probably just live with a bunch of itemducts and assemblers or something that's less infuriating.

Storage seems about the same, though. So that's cool, I guess.

Edit: The channels thing seems cool from a 'figuring out how to set up my base is fun' standpoint; actually having to think about how each network works could be an interesting challenge. But part of the appeal of AE, at least for me, was how convenient of a solution it was. AE1 has always felt to me like it was the ultimate modded MC companion; no matter what you were doing, AE probably did something that could help you out. It didn't so much exist for its own benefit as it did for the player's. It was pure utility, and it rewarded a decent amount of work with really, really helpful stuff without getting to the point of being boring. Now it feels like it's getting too wrapped up in itself, which would be fine except the end benefit is the same as AE1, it's just harder to get there. Massive AE-based processing centers emerged in AE1 because of how useful the mod itself was and how well it meshed with other mods. Its scope came from its utility and how it could be applied almost anywhere, and made it really rewarding and satisfying to do so.

Now it looks like an AE2 processing center is going to have to be massive simply because that is how the mod is requiring it. The mod isn't going to be ubiquitous in any given lab that uses it because people WANT to make it that way, it's just going to have to be like that because it requires a bunch of multiblock structures and possibly multiple networks to get simple tasks done. I have yet to play it but I have a really hard time believing its going to feel the same.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 29, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hagop posted:

There are some terrible crafting processes, yeah. In order to start AE you first have to find a meteor. It's a pain and one may or may not be close to where you started. In the middle of the meteor is a chest with some pieces of tech. Why? Who knows. You have to use these in a machine called the inscriber to make circuits. Now the inscriber wouldn't be so bad but it requires 3 separate components to make the circuits, and none of them stack. You have to sit in front of the machine and manually place all 3 components, for every single circuit. And then another process requires you to throw ingredients into a pool of water, and then you'll instantly get back the result. Like a crafting table, except even more retarded.

The good news is, this whole pile of bullshit is easy to circumvent with a handful of custom recipes. AE2 has its own built in system for custom recipes, or you can use MineTweaker. I used Minetweaker cause I use it to change recipes from a few other mods too, so it's nice to have everything in one place. http://pastebin.com/TuufSZcq

Apart from that AE2 is really rad and IMO much better than AE1. It's more compact (you can fit multiple devices into a single block space), autocrafting is WAY better, busses and things are more configurable and so on. Some people complain about the new channel system when they first hear about it (you have to have "channels" running from the controller to each of your devices), but once they get a chance to use it everyone seems to be fine with it. I think it's really neat personally.

Fortis posted:

I might be reading this wrong, but it looks like autocrafting is performed by individual CPUs which each require their own multiblock structure. Meaning that each multiblock structure can handle a single recipe.

This is wrong. You need 1 CPU to do any crafting (including crafting via interfaces hooked to machines), but it doesn't even need to be a multiblock - it can be made of just one block. It's a lot more modular than the MAC's of AE1, and easier to upgrade as you expand your system. Each CPU can handle 1 crafting job (it'll go through each step of a multi-stage craft one-at-a-time), and you can add more to do more simultaneous jobs. Normal recipe auto-crafting is no longer done in a huge expensive multiblock, either. It's done in a single block which you can then hook an interface up to with all the recipes, and you can see the crafting happening inside of it. Overall autocrafting is both cheaper and faster in AE2.

Also the controllers aren't that expensive. It's true that you need skystone to make them, but once you find a single meteor you'll probably have enough skystone for 5-10 controller blocks.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 29, 2014

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fortis posted:

Looking at the wiki for AE2 (http://ae2.ae-mod.info/), it does look like everything is a lot more complicated. I want to give AlgorithmX2 the benefit of the doubt, but some of it looks supremely un-fun.

Logistics Pipes are still as good as ever and have a config option to turn off the power requirement:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1289546-1-6-x-buildcraft-logistics-pipes

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Taffer posted:

This is wrong. You need 1 CPU to do any crafting (including crafting via interfaces hooked to machines), but it doesn't even need to be a multiblock - it can be made of just one block. It's a lot more modular than the MAC's of AE1, and easier to upgrade as you expand your system. Each CPU can handle 1 crafting job (it'll go through each step of a multi-stage craft one-at-a-time), and you can add more to do more simultaneous jobs. Normal recipe auto-crafting is no longer done in a huge expensive multiblock, either. It's done in a single block which you can then hook an interface up to with all the recipes, and you can see the crafting happening inside of it. Overall autocrafting is both cheaper and faster in AE2.

Also the controllers aren't that expensive. It's true that you need skystone to make them, but once you find a single meteor you'll probably have enough skystone for 5-10 controller blocks.

OK, I'm glad in this case to have poor reading comprehension. That does sound a lot better. How does it handle recipes? Is that what the crafting storage is for?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taffer posted:

There are some terrible crafting processes, yeah. In order to start AE you first have to find a meteor. It's a pain and one may or may not be close to where you started. In the middle of the meteor is a chest with some pieces of tech. Why? Who knows. You have to use these in a machine called the inscriber to make circuits. Now the inscriber wouldn't be so bad but it requires 3 separate components to make the circuits, and none of them stack. You have to sit in front of the machine and manually place all 3 components, for every single circuit. And then another process requires you to throw ingredients into a pool of water, and then you'll instantly get back the result. Like a crafting table, except even more retarded.

The good news is, this whole pile of bullshit is easy to circumvent with a handful of custom recipes. AE2 has its own built in system for custom recipes, or you can use MineTweaker. I used Minetweaker cause I use it to change recipes from a few other mods too, so it's nice to have everything in one place. http://pastebin.com/TuufSZcq

Apart from that AE2 is really rad and IMO much better than AE1. It's more compact (you can fit multiple devices into a single block space), autocrafting is WAY better, busses and things are more configurable and so on. Some people complain about the new channel system when they first hear about it (you have to have "channels" running from the controller to each of your devices), but once they get a chance to use it everyone seems to be fine with it. I think it's really neat personally.

You also forget the charged quartz catch-22. Sure it's nowhere near as bullshit as the inscriber/processor chip stupidity, but it's still rather stupid. To make Fluix crystals (which are needed in drat near everything instead of just the bits and bobs that handle power like in AE1) you need charged certus quartz. To make charged quartz you need to stick it in a charger. To make a charger you need 2 pieces of Fluix. Which means even if you're lucky enough to find a meteorite you can't start building jack poo poo until get lucky enough to find a block of certus quartz that's naturally charged.

That being said, once you get past or around those hurdles (using someone else's charger, admin is awesome like Taffer and just makes recipes for the processors), AE2 is pretty loving rad. It takes a bit to figure out the whole channel thing, but once you do the system is incredibly easy to use, absurdly powerful, and sexy to look at too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

You also forget the charged quartz catch-22. Sure it's nowhere near as bullshit as the inscriber/processor chip stupidity, but it's still rather stupid. To make Fluix crystals (which are needed in drat near everything instead of just the bits and bobs that handle power like in AE1) you need charged certus quartz. To make charged quartz you need to stick it in a charger. To make a charger you need 2 pieces of Fluix. Which means even if you're lucky enough to find a meteorite you can't start building jack poo poo until get lucky enough to find a block of certus quartz that's naturally charged.

That being said, once you get past or around those hurdles (using someone else's charger, admin is awesome like Taffer and just makes recipes for the processors), AE2 is pretty loving rad. It takes a bit to figure out the whole channel thing, but once you do the system is incredibly easy to use, absurdly powerful, and sexy to look at too.
Charged Certus Quartz is pretty easy to find. It's roughly as common as normal certus quartz, maybe 1/4 rarity, and you should have a bunch long before you are even looking to make an AE system.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Taffer posted:

I keep hearing this so I guess it must be true, it just feels like the channel system is going to be TC research all over again.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fortis posted:

OK, I'm glad in this case to have poor reading comprehension. That does sound a lot better. How does it handle recipes? Is that what the crafting storage is for?

Recipes are basically the same as before. Just now instead of putting them in your big autocrafter you put them in an interface that points at your small autocrafter.

Hagop posted:

I keep hearing this so I guess it must be true, it just feels like the channel system is going to be TC research all over again.

Don't worry it's nothing even close to that. You just have to put a tiny amount of thought into a where you lay your cables and you'll be fine.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Khorne posted:

Charged Certus Quartz is pretty easy to find. It's roughly as common as normal certus quartz, maybe 1/4 rarity, and you should have a bunch long before you are even looking to make an AE system.

I only got lucky enough to start finding it after I set up my AE. Luckily there were other chargers set up for me before hand. I still feel it's a rather stupid gateway.

Hagop posted:

Nope. The guy who made the mod has an incredibly helpful video tutorial of the channels: http://ae2.ae-mod.info/Channels/ They're actually rather simple and easy to understand.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Am I the only one who thinks that AE crafting is completely counter-intuitive? Having to make a recipe for everything I want to craft is fine I guess, but I shouldn't really have to make intermediary recipes.

I REALLY shouldn't have to make a giant row of interfaces tied to level emitters in order to keep stocks of things, and there's also no easy way to force-keep reserves of ingredients either.

Basically, when using shift-click NEI in the AE Crafter window is superior to all but mass-producing stacks of things, functionality is a bit screwed up.

Edit: come to think, shift click, right click gets you a stack of whatever you're crafting with mats from your AE network so even stacks of things are easier except where there's a complicated precursor chain.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that AE crafting is completely counter-intuitive? Having to make a recipe for everything I want to craft is fine I guess, but I shouldn't really have to make intermediary recipes.

I REALLY shouldn't have to make a giant row of interfaces tied to level emitters in order to keep stocks of things, and there's also no easy way to force-keep reserves of ingredients either.

Basically, when using shift-click NEI in the AE Crafter window is superior to all but mass-producing stacks of things, functionality is a bit screwed up.

Edit: come to think, shift click, right click gets you a stack of whatever you're crafting with mats from your AE network so even stacks of things are easier except where there's a complicated precursor chain.

The best way to deal with this in AE1 is to make your crafting recipe be for more than one of an item. If the only recipe for a level AE has takes 64 sticks and 64 blocks and makes 64 levers then AE will always make them in batches of 64.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Speaking of Applied Energistics, I'd like to use AE2 in my new world because it just so god drat convenient, but I don't like all the "industry" mods it's typically used with. Does anyone know of a mod that offers power sources compatible with AE2 but doesn't also have tons of machines and technology? Or alternatively, has anyone powered an AE2 network exclusively with the included Vibration Chamber and found it tolerable?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Goncyn posted:

Speaking of Applied Energistics, I'd like to use AE2 in my new world because it just so god drat convenient, but I don't like all the "industry" mods it's typically used with. Does anyone know of a mod that offers power sources compatible with AE2 but doesn't also have tons of machines and technology? Or alternatively, has anyone powered an AE2 network exclusively with the included Vibration Chamber and found it tolerable?

Welllllll, RailCraft would get you steam engines while only adding the coke over, the blast furnace, the rail roller, and the gravel crusher, I think. Basically none of those things could be used to process items in away that would let you short cut some other mod.

The blast furnace will let you make steel form iron, however outside of greg tech I can't think of a longer harder way to get steel.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Hagop posted:

The blast furnace will let you make steel form iron, however outside of greg tech I can't think of a longer harder way to get steel.
:gizz:

---
Unrelated:
Could you use AE's spatial pylons to move a whole ghast tower from Twilight Forest into the Overworld, or are those blocks dimension specific somehow?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Updated map of progress.

This thing is getting massive.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Are there any mod packs out for 1.7.10 yet? The newest one I could find was FTBs unstable pack thats running 1.7.2. Alternatively how hard is it to make a modpack? Is it as simple as dragging the mods in to a folder or program or something or do you have to mess with config files and rewrite item ids and stuff?

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

Lunimeow posted:

Are there any mod packs out for 1.7.10 yet? The newest one I could find was FTBs unstable pack thats running 1.7.2. Alternatively how hard is it to make a modpack? Is it as simple as dragging the mods in to a folder or program or something or do you have to mess with config files and rewrite item ids and stuff?

Start with an unmodified Forge. Install all your mods one by one into the mods/ folder. Then you see if you can start a single-player game without any block/item ID conflicts. This rarely ever happened to me, but maybe I just got lucky. If there are, Forge will give you a nice file showing the conflicting IDs and suggests empty ranges of unused ID blocks to remap to.

The ID conflicts are resolved by editing the mods' config files (in the config/ folder) and changing the default values for block/item ID assignments. Sometimes you just need to change one number, and all the blocks/items will automatically follow sequentially from that.

Then, even if there were no ID conflicts, start tweaking configs for things like balance, if you want. The actual modpack is just a .zip of your mods/ and config/ folder that gets installed on the client side. The server usually has a separate archive to install, which is identical to the client modpack minus client-only mods like NEI and minimaps.

Note: the configs/ dir is only created, with default settings, after you've tried to run Forge at least once.
Turbo-edit: have fun clicking through AdFly download links and Minecraft Forum posts to get the individual mods. Ugh.

Schmerm fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 30, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lunimeow posted:

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/progress.12299

It's still changing a lot though.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Inspired by a friend on tumblr, finding out once again just how poo poo my laptop is, and the 'house' map, I've made a 6x6 chunk area to start off with out of hardened clay to mimic the biomes of a small cross section of desert, plains, jungle, jungle hills, taiga and river biomes.

I've set up a strongbox for myself with 8 dirt, 8 each of the non-jungle saplings, 1 stack of torches around my lit-by-5-arcane-lamps starting area, 3 stacks of bonemeal and basically one each of every guidebook I could find in NEI barring the later Tinker's Construct books.

What should I put into a second strongbox to kickstart the early game, considering I'm back in 2.9.0 or whatever the latest revision was before 3.0.0? I was thinking while driving I might want a small engine powering a fruit picker pointed at, I dunno, an apple tree, but what else would you suggest to cut back the early grind a little?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Heffer posted:

Could you use AE's spatial pylons to move a whole ghast tower from Twilight Forest into the Overworld, or are those blocks dimension specific somehow?

I believe AE spatial pylons only move vanilla blocks. They store all such blocks inside the spatial storage cell, though, so you can move them wherever.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Is there any way to add your own mods to other modpacks or would that be a little too :filez:? I'm using this right now and while it's pretty good for the most part, the dude who made it took out mystcraft in the last update and I'm not so cool about that.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

I decided to try modded Minecraft a couple weeks ago (Yogscraft Complete Pack) -- I tried vanilla and got bored a long time ago. I've been having a lot of fun mucking about with the various tech mods in singleplayer, but I've decided to start over for a variety of reasons: My base design was boring as poo poo, I want to try a world-gen with ATG because it looks interesting (and oceans were loving huge), and I'm also going to disable algae generation in emasher because it's is ugly and annoying. I might also try out MP on one of the NST servers in PGS, I dunno yet.

Anyway, before I start in on any new builds, I was hoping to get some advice on a few issues I started running into later on in my previous build. I'm not looking to troubleshoot the specific issues I was encountering. Since I'm going to be starting fresh, I can just as easily change the way I was doing things if it'll avoid issues. I was using bits from a pretty wide range of tech mods: Advanced Solar Generators and Wind Turbines from Mek and a Big Reactor for power generation, Capacitor Banks from EnderIO for power storage, Universal Cables from Mek and Tesseracts from TE for power transmission, Itemducts/Fluiducts/Tesseracts from TE for item and fluid transport, an ME network from AE and Extra Cells for item and fluid transport and storage, and machines from all of the above plus MFR.

1) I struggled a LOT trying to get fluids to behave as intended once I had MFR crop farms (sludge) and grinders/sewers (mob essence, sewage) going. I started using harvesters/grinders/sewers -> fluiducts -> tesseract -> AE network (using ExtraCells fluid storage) -> tesseract -> fluiducts -> sludge boiler/composter. I then tried cutting out the AE network in the middle, but it was still extremely temperamental. I'd double and triple check the fluiduct and tesseract settings, and eventually got it going, but then eventually the fluid would stop transmitting again. I was using dimensional anchors to chunkload the farming areas and the areas with the boiler or composter. I was running the fluiducts a long way -- for example, they would run the length of my crop farming area (~50 blocks?) before dumping all the sludge into the outgoing tesseract. I've read TE ducts don't deal well with crossing chunks, but the itemducts weren't having the same problems, so I dunno. Any general tips on handling logistics for this sort of setup would be appreciated.

2) Speaking of, I had a number of issues with the AE network. It would occasionally ignore crafting requests for periods of time (as in, they'd never start -- they weren't timing out due to lack of materials), and at one point I ran into a dupe where anything I pulled out of the network from a terminal would instantly fill right back up to the level it was at. It seemed like the dupe issue was fixed by switching back to regular ME drives instead of the blast resistant ME drives from ExtraCells, but the problems with dropped crafting requests kept happening. Any tips on setting up a well-behaved AE network in conjunction with ExtraCells?

3) The last issue was aesthetic. At first I tried mucking about with Forge Microblocks to cover up the cabling running around my base, but once I set up an AE network, I discovered that ME cables apparently don't like Microblocks. I could use BC facades, but I was planning to use a variety of blocks/textures from, say, Chisel to build out my base and I don't think they all have facades. After some research, it looks like I could use ME Conduit instead of ME Cable and use painted Conduit Facades from EnderIO to accomplish that. Will using EnderIO ME Conduits either in conjunction with or instead of ME Cable cause any issues?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Is there any way to add your own mods to other modpacks or would that be a little too :filez:? I'm using this right now and while it's pretty good for the most part, the dude who made it took out mystcraft in the last update and I'm not so cool about that.

You can do so on your own machine without issue, but re-distributing it starts to get you into :filez: territory.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to head this off before anyone gets the wrong idea.

Nothing about minecraft mods is ever :filez:

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?

Jackson Taus posted:

You can do so on your own machine without issue, but re-distributing it starts to get you into :filez: territory.

No it doesn't, put whatever mods in whatever you want and play however you want to.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
In any case I'm not really sure how to go about doing it. Can I just drop the necessary files into the folder or do I need to open a session of forge and start loving with the underlying code?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Schmerm posted:

Start with an unmodified Forge. Install all your mods one by one into the mods/ folder. Then you see if you can start a single-player game without any block/item ID conflicts. This rarely ever happened to me, but maybe I just got lucky. If there are, Forge will give you a nice file showing the conflicting IDs and suggests empty ranges of unused ID blocks to remap to.

The ID conflicts are resolved by editing the mods' config files (in the config/ folder) and changing the default values for block/item ID assignments. Sometimes you just need to change one number, and all the blocks/items will automatically follow sequentially from that.

It's actually changed with 1.7 so that IDs are no longer assigned in the config files. Instead mods just register their stuff by name ("oreCopper" and such) and IDs aren't assigned until you generate a world (or load a world with a new mod for the first time), and are stored along with the world. In theory, this should mean an end to ID conflicts since Forge now has enough information to choose values without conflicts, and you could load someone else's world without having to worry about their ID assignments.

On the downside it does mean values can be scattered all over the place (NEI now groups items by mod instead of sorting by ID to help alleviate that) and it's harder to manually force specific values, but it should still be a big improvement.

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

In any case I'm not really sure how to go about doing it. Can I just drop the necessary files into the folder or do I need to open a session of forge and start loving with the underlying code?

Generally all you need to do is drop the zip into your /mods folder and run. You might need to change some things in the config, especially if there are block ID conflicts, but you don't have to do any code editing of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Goncyn posted:

Extra Utilities has generators, a wide variety of them, but isn't really a tech mod. Plus, it has other things that every modded game should always have (Builder's Wand). You could do it with the vibration chamber, but you'll use a lot of coal/charcoal that way.

• Locked thread