Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

instead of watching S2, just watch the Wan episodes, then search "Varrick" on youtube and watch all the top results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watch season 2, it's a downturn for the series, but I enjoyed most of it, and it's a quick watch.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hakkesshu posted:

Watch season 2, it's a downturn for the series, but I enjoyed most of it, and it's a quick watch.

Yeah, I'll echo this. I remember being surprised at how fast I went through it, and if you do it all in one sitting it really isn't that bad. You blaze through the stupid first half quickly enough that you get to the better stuff before it really sets in.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its amazing how much goons love Varrick considering how he's essentially a Howard Roark-esque character living by and preaching an Objectivist philosophy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If by Howard Roark you mean they're just writing him as RDJ Tony Stark then yes. It's pretty ridiculously blatant considering he built an Iron Man suit this season.

I'm honestly not particularly happy to see him back but his One Joke is wearing thin quickly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Its amazing how much goons love Varrick considering how he's essentially a Howard Roark-esque character living by and preaching an Objectivist philosophy.

He's also a comic relief buffoon, which is probably why people love him and not because they subscribe to his life philosophies you goddamn goon.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I actually find his comic relief really off-putting because he was pretty openly villainous in the last season what with being an unrepentant war profiteer. It's like watching Karl Rove drop in on Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I actually find his comic relief really off-putting because he was pretty openly villainous in the last season what with being an unrepentant war profiteer. It's like watching Karl Rove drop in on Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Agreed. I love Varrick, he's one of my favorite Avatar characters, but he's an objectively terrible person who has committed a lot of serious crimes and the way they're treating him as nothing more than "aw shucks!" comic relief is bizarre. He should be (re-)arrested for all the poo poo he's done, not allowed to run free. I really hope something good comes of it; who knows, Varrick may be up to something shady.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I think Verrick is coming up to some comeuppance soon : Bolin has rejected his relationship advices, he's been shown to be an idiot with his ridiculous airbender detector and, most importantly, Zhu Li is starting to show signs of weariness. He loses her, he's done for, I think.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lobsterhead posted:

Agreed. I love Varrick, he's one of my favorite Avatar characters, but he's an objectively terrible person who has committed a lot of serious crimes and the way they're treating him as nothing more than "aw shucks!" comic relief is bizarre. He should be (re-)arrested for all the poo poo he's done, not allowed to run free. I really hope something good comes of it; who knows, Varrick may be up to something shady.

Maybe I got too much GoT on the brain especially from having played a hell of a lot of Crusader Kings recently but he is very clearly the guest of a fairly powerful and influential governor(?)/Noble and generally outside their jurisdiction; political asylum is probably a decent enough parallel.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe I got too much GoT on the brain especially from having played a hell of a lot of Crusader Kings recently but he is very clearly the guest of a fairly powerful and influential governor(?)/Noble and generally outside their jurisdiction; political asylum is probably a decent enough parallel.

My first thought was that it would a jurisdictional issue, too, but then again, Korra and her friends have already gotten themselves into enough of a jurisdictional issue with the Earth Queen over the airbenders, arresting Varrick wouldn't make much of a difference. (Suyin might have a problem with it, though.) Anyone official from the Republic certainly wouldn't be able to arrest him there, though.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the feeling Varrick is probably going to get some kind of redemptive moment because he's a Fan Favorite and they want to keep him around.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Imprisoning Varrick would give the Earth Queen a -20 Tyranny penalty with all vassals, so the proper way to deal with him is to start a plot to assassinate him and bribe enough people to join your plot. However, Zhao Fu's 20 Intrigue spymaster has been caught in a plot of his own and escaped, so the chance of a successful assassination firing against Varrick is low.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

thexerox123 posted:

My first thought was that it would a jurisdictional issue, too, but then again, Korra and her friends have already gotten themselves into enough of a jurisdictional issue with the Earth Queen over the airbenders, arresting Varrick wouldn't make much of a difference. (Suyin might have a problem with it, though.) Anyone official from the Republic certainly wouldn't be able to arrest him there, though.

Varrick himself isn't a clear and present danger to those around him with Su watching and implicitly accepting responsibility for his current behavior. I imagine what with Zahir and the Earth Kingdom problems arresting Varrick and potentially upsetting Su would be a very low priority especially without a warrant specifically assigned to Korra to bring him in.

DrSunshine. :allears:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Korra's got bigger fish to fry, and has enough goodwill towards Su to respect her opinions about giving people second chances. Varrick was always been completely forthcoming about his motives, and as long as he's in Xaofu he's not exactly in a position to profit from his usual underhanded skulduggery. Being under the protection of the Metal Clan means he can't do anything that's not broadly compatible with their more humane futurist project. He's not in prison, but if he leaves, he's still a fugitive from the Republic and maybe the Water Tribes as well, so Xaofu is as good a place to leave him as any.

Plus, Iwei vouched for him, and although Iwei turned out to be untrustworthy, Varrick was the one who sold him out, so if he's playing a long con, he's at least an enemy of the Red Lotus.

It does throw into relief just how little they're doing with Asami this season, but perhaps there'll be time for that later.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Plus, Iwei vouched for him, and although Iwei turned out to be untrustworthy, Varrick was the one who sold him out, so if he's playing a long con, he's at least an enemy of the Red Lotus.
Not necessarily. It frankly looks like Aiwei wanted to be found out without being too obvious about it. Most notably, his choice of culprit amongst the guards make little sense, as Mako pointed out rather quickly. Verrick could be in on it as the clue-giver, and Suyin's reaction to Aiwei's betrayal was either expected or she's part of the conspiracy herself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Not necessarily. It frankly looks like Aiwei wanted to be found out without being too obvious about it. Most notably, his choice of culprit amongst the guards make little sense, as Mako pointed out rather quickly. Verrick could be in on it as the clue-giver, and Suyin's reaction to Aiwei's betrayal was either expected or she's part of the conspiracy herself.

There is that. An improvised scheme to lure Korra into pursuing the Red Lotus, without making it look too easy? I can see that.

Varrick's a fun villain because his motives are so eccentric that he really could go either way.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Lobsterhead posted:

Varrick's hilarious. It really doesn't matter that the Avatar universe lacks a perfect sense of justice in the name of comedy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

X_Toad posted:

I think Verrick is coming up to some comeuppance soon : Bolin has rejected his relationship advices, he's been shown to be an idiot with his ridiculous airbender detector and, most importantly, Zhu Li is starting to show signs of weariness. He loses her, he's done for, I think.
Gets arrested and has to go to court where Gary Cole will voice the judge is what I hope

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

X_Toad posted:

He may act like an idiot but season 2 showed that that's (mainly) as a cover to make himself seem harmless. His actions tend to be intelligent and shrewd in the long run.

I doubt Varrick is gonna have much impact this season. I think he's just here to please the fans since he was pretty much the most popular character from season 2.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

X_Toad posted:

It could be that, as good as Aiwei is at catching even the most believable lie, he's not exactly the most proficient in telling them.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Just got through the Wan two parter and I got to say I like season two way more than season one. Each episode advanced the plot, which is a loving miracle as far as this show is concerned, the only negatives is that they introduced the robot twins that people I can't believe people take seriously in any way. They are so dumb, so uncreative, and so unrealistic as characters I just write them off during their first scenes when fat brother was trying to woo the girl. Steampunk water Iron man is also a completely stupid character that you guys like? Are you kidding? There's comic relief and having characters that don't make sense.

But at least this season didn't open up with two episodes of an irrelevant athletic contest! It's like opening Star Wars with footage of Luke shooting wamp rats for half an hour.

Also I've never really criticized an animated work for the quality of its animation. I've noticed the quality is lower, that's for sure, but do visuals impact the plotline in any way? No. (this is coming from someone who watched the original run of 12oz Mouse when they were 11, so I don't think I'm typical)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's also possible Aiwei wouldn't have been able to tell if Varrick is lying. He could be fooled if the person is capable of being completely calm when they lie.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheModernAmerican posted:

Just got through the Wan two parter and I got to say I like season two way more than season one. Each episode advanced the plot, which is a loving miracle as far as this show is concerned, the only negatives is that they introduced the robot twins that people I can't believe people take seriously in any way. They are so dumb, so uncreative, and so unrealistic as characters I just write them off during their first scenes when fat brother was trying to woo the girl. Steampunk water Iron man is also a completely stupid character that you guys like? Are you kidding? There's comic relief and having characters that don't make sense.

But at least this season didn't open up with two episodes of an irrelevant athletic contest! It's like opening Star Wars with footage of Luke shooting wamp rats for half an hour.

Also I've never really criticized an animated work for the quality of its animation. I've noticed the quality is lower, that's for sure, but do visuals impact the plotline in any way? No. (this is coming from someone who watched the original run of 12oz Mouse when they were 11, so I don't think I'm typical)
You're definitely not typical, I'll give you that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They get better after the two-parter.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

X_Toad posted:

Xelkelvos posted:

It could be that, as good as Aiwei is at catching even the most believable lie, he's not exactly the most proficient in telling them.

Given he's been trusted absolutely by the head of his city for years, maybe even decades, there's a very good chance that he just saw no point in telling all that convincing of a lie. If he said it was true, it would be so. Picking a young guard with no real connections or unique value supports that, he just grabbed someone that he saw as expendable without bothering to put much effort into making it line up. And, yeah, there's a pretty good chance he just sucks at telling a good lie.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You're definitely not typical, I'll give you that.

My experience with season one is also entirely negative thanks to the horrible, terrible, loud, long, sad wet fart of a Deus Ex Machina ending where no one learned anything and everything was solved thanks to Avatar magic. If season two ends in a similar fashion then I might end up agreeing with everyone else.

And I am damned sure Amon didn't die on that boat and I bet he's going to team up with the back and red kite thing because this show is bland and predictable.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

My experience with season one is also entirely negative thanks to the horrible, terrible, loud, long, sad wet fart of a Deus Ex Machina ending where no one learned anything and everything was solved thanks to Avatar magic. If season two ends in a similar fashion then I might end up agreeing with everyone else.

Don't, uh... set your expectations for the finale too high.

(Deus Ex Machinas and everything being solved thanks to Avatar magic are two of the worst issues with the S2 ending.)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My favorite season 2 thing will always be absolutely everyone, both people who were enjoying it and those who weren't, going "No, no, they wouldn't possibly have Unalaq be responsible for the raid that got Korra's dad exiled. It's too easy and too creatively bankrupt, there's no way they'll do that."

And then they did.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
My favorite "they couldn't possibly--" theory was in Season 1 when some guessed that Amon and Tarlok might be brothers, and everyone was like "Nahhh that'd be far too cliche and creatively bankrupt, they're more aware of the tropes than that!" And then... they did it!

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Don't, uh... set your expectations for the finale too high.

(Deus Ex Machinas and everything being solved thanks to Avatar magic are two of the worst issues with the S2 ending.)

I feel like you're going into the entire Korra experience with the wrong expectations if you think that Avatar magic deus-ex-machina isn't going to be be how the season ends.

This is hardly new, it also happened in seasons 1 and 3 of ATLA, if you don't recall. Season 2 of ATLA was a cliffhanger to set up the final season; could be that this season ends the same way?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

E: ^^^ Aang didn't learn waterbending by making almost no progress until the last 10 minutes of the last episode of the season by punching water really hard. The lion turtle thing was a bit dumb, but it's not like he just suddenly figured it all out with no warning. There was at least minimal set up.

Oh Snapple! posted:

My favorite season 2 thing will always be absolutely everyone, both people who were enjoying it and those who weren't, going "No, no, they wouldn't possibly have Unalaq be responsible for the raid that got Korra's dad exiled. It's too easy and too creatively bankrupt, there's no way they'll do that."

And then they did.

Hahaha I can't wait until I get to that reveal. Are you kidding?

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 30, 2014

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

My favorite "they couldn't possibly--" theory was in Season 1 when some guessed that Amon and Tarlok might be brothers, and everyone was like "Nahhh that'd be far too cliche and creatively bankrupt, they're more aware of the tropes than that!" And then... they did it!
Oh yeah, Unalaq sometimes feel like even more of a sore point than Amon. That a guy who started as something of a well-made gray antagonist turned out to be a mix of Sozin's ambition with Ozai's personality, without any of the entertainment value (basically, Adrian LaTourelle, with his zero voice-acting experience, is no Mark Hamill), really didn't go over well for some people.

Hahaha I can't wait until I get to that reveal. Are you kidding?
You just said that you watched the Wan's two-parter and you've apparently seen the previous episodes if you're familiar with the twins... how could you have missed it?

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 30, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

X_Toad posted:

Oh yeah, Unalaq sometimes feel like even more of a sore point than Amon. That a guy who started as something of a well-made gray antagonist turned out to be a mix of Sozin's ambition with Ozai's personality, without any of the entertainment value, really didn't go over well for some people.

You just said that you watched the Wan's two-parter and you've apparently seen the previous episodes if you're familiar with the twins... how could you have missed it?

Uhh... I might have missed it? As of now I am aware Unalaq is a dick because he campaigned to get rid of his brother after the attack.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
As many warts as S2 has, if you go into it with a pessimistic attitude, you won't have a fun time at all and you're better off skipping to the parts people consider the highlights and then diving right into S3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uhh... I might have missed it? As of now I am aware Unalaq is a dick because he campaigned to get rid of his brother after the attack.

That was, uh, a pretty major part of the things that lead to Korra flipping out about what happened to her dad.

I mean if you're half-watching the show, ignoring plot points and going "haha so loving stupid" then yes, you're going to dislike it but I'm also not sure why you're bothering with it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Unalaq actually paid the barbarians to attack and told them to hide in the forest, knowing that his brother would destroy it when retaliating. After that, he didn't have to campaign for Tonraq's exil, their father decided it on his own.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That was, uh, a pretty major part of the things that lead to Korra flipping out about what happened to her dad.

I mean if you're half-watching the show, ignoring plot points and going "haha so loving stupid" then yes, you're going to dislike it but I'm also not sure why you're bothering with it.

I just went through Civil War Part 2 again, I had an internet outage and decided to go to bed rather than fix it. I must've replayed from the wrong spot, managed to miss about 5 minutes. Figures I miss the major plot point of the episode.

e: Don't get me wrong, there's a whole hell of a lot that's going wrong with this season, but I'm not actively rooting against the main characters.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I am, I want something dark and gritty to happen, like Aang getting almost killed. Give the baddies a toehold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Gets arrested and has to go to court where Gary Cole will voice the judge is what I hope

MIND BENDING!

• Locked thread