Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

a_big_dog posted:

Let's hang!

So I'm obsessed. Been doing a bunch of YouTube tutorials, and got myself the SuperCollider book, and I'm tearing into it. It's a lot simpler than I thought - I'm a web developer by trade, so I guess that helps a lot with the ease of learning syntax.

If you've any essential tutorials or articles for a beginner, let me know!
Legitimizing talking about SuperCollider in here is step one in my nefarious plan to discuss other similar things I dived deep into, like Csound and Common Music/Common Lisp Music/Common Music Notation, as well as newer things I don't know as much about but pull at the same strings, like Faust.

Speaking of new weird "non-traditional" computer music things, a couple of posts on Muff's turned me on to CDP -- Composers' Desktop Project -- and I've been geeking out on that this week pretty hardcore. If you're down with things like SuperCollider, Csound, Faust, or similar, you'll probably like/"get" CDP. It's not a language like those, but it is a set of weird command line tools (with optional free and paid GUIs).

Effortpost forthcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

sliderule posted:

Do you have schematics?

I can't imagine using it in its current state. The noise and sample rate aliasing are pretty nasty. The only cool thing about it is the pitch aliasing that happens during a fast pitch bend. Sounds like Nintendo, except there aren't any nice sounding pulse waves.

This is all you need:

Basically connect any of the IC legs to another but don't touch the ones marked -/+
Put switches/jacks etc between points

The basic waves are 1-40, squares being 33-37, theres no PWM if thats what you mean.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just meant that none of the pulse waves sounded nice.

Guess I've found a temporary use for the spare patch bay. Once I figure out which are the *nice* pin combinations, I'll rig up some toggle switches.

Thanks!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like the Aira series got a big update, which could be either interpreted as Roland listening to feedback, or Roland releasing incomplete products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYCZJAEMQgk

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Awesome, they fixed the midi out bug on the TR-8.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

a_big_dog posted:

Definitely - I've already written a thing to sort-of emulate this Jim O'Rourke track which almost certainly uses SC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsZD-MBRMU0 - which was kinda the reason I wanted to jump in.

Hmmph, I didn't know Jim O'Rourke was into SC. Huge Sonic Youth fan, but I've not explored any of his other work until hearing that track above, which I dig.

I've not played with Supercollider directly, only through Overtone. Overtone is fun because it's Clojure which supports functional programming and multi-threading, which are things I play with at my day job, but musical.

Lately I've been playing with sample buffers in Max/MSP and ChucK. The sounds that can be made by resizing a sample buffer, going from a loop to a single hit to grains.

I'd be curious to hear what sort of techniques you used to emulate that O'Rourke track.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Just got an email from Waldorf that Streichfett is shipping.

Not listed yet on Sweetwater, and still flagged as pre-order on JRRShop. But I'll be losing that money as soon as I find whom to give it to.

EDIT: Also, last night I finally installed all the monstrum editors for Blofeld, Pulse 2, and Rocket. All three synths are pretty much a breeze to program from the hardware, but these editors- while quirky- are pretty handy, and anything that keeps me from having to get up from my chair and walk over to the HW synths will keep me working.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 25, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Radiapathy posted:

Just got an email from Waldorf that Streichfett is shipping.

Not listed yet on Sweetwater, and still flagged as pre-order on JRRShop. But I'll be losing that money as soon as I find whom to give it to.

Oh god, I live close to JRRShop now. I can't be tempted, dammit. Not now. :smith:

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

renderful posted:

Hmmph, I didn't know Jim O'Rourke was into SC. Huge Sonic Youth fan, but I've not explored any of his other work until hearing that track above, which I dig.

I've not played with Supercollider directly, only through Overtone. Overtone is fun because it's Clojure which supports functional programming and multi-threading, which are things I play with at my day job, but musical.

Lately I've been playing with sample buffers in Max/MSP and ChucK. The sounds that can be made by resizing a sample buffer, going from a loop to a single hit to grains.

I'd be curious to hear what sort of techniques you used to emulate that O'Rourke track.

Ahhh, haven't touched Clojure - I've mostly found SuperCollider pretty simple so far because it's quite Ruby-ish and my day job is Ruby web development.

For the O'Rourke stuff, I haven't quite gone far enough yet - here's a screenshot of what I was playing around with a couple of days ago:

It very very badly needs refactoring and I am itching to improve it, haven't yet found the time! Thinking about storing random samples from the buffer, storing it in a pattern and looping that. I dunno. My mind gets ahead of my skill, which is both good and bad I suppose.

I'd love a dedicated SuperCollider thread (sorry to the analog purists in here) but I guess there aren't enough of us!

Edit: that wchoose in the image is broken. Didn't save after I fixed it oops

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pretty interested in hearing about these sorts of niche softwares. I've messed with PD and that's about it, I'd really like to hear about CDP in particular.

I've been playing with the sfz format lately, you can do some cool stuff with text files and basic waves.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Wait, there are toolkits for this that use real languages that I want to learn?

Great, another fractal to find myself lost in.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
This Expert Sleepers Disting module is probably the coolest modular thing I've seen since learning about the Echophon. Awesome demo of all the different functions too, all 30 minutes of it. This, some Intellijel, and a Turing Machine would probably be all I'll ever need :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IJsGzld788

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm still hugely impressed that Waldorf had the balls to put something as niche as the Streichfett to market, and for what it is, it sounds great. Given the philosophical constraints of what constitutes a string machine, they could hardly do any better.

Also, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfcQYfzqhrg

snorch fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 26, 2014

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Cuckoo posted this demo video of Teenage Engineering's PO-12 drum machine. For $50 it seems amazing. 16 sounds, 16 effects and parameter locks for each step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI4l9LC38iU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I recommend the Norberg festival if anyone of you get the budget and the will to go to Sweden. I've got contacts among arrangers and staff if you think you could possibly be desired to perform there, or hold a work-shop, and that PO-12 is a beautiful beast.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Well that's definitely their firmware development method. God drat I like the idea of the Streichfett, really want to try one in person rather than buying blind though.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

a_big_dog posted:

Ahhh, haven't touched Clojure - I've mostly found SuperCollider pretty simple so far because it's quite Ruby-ish and my day job is Ruby web development.

For the O'Rourke stuff, I haven't quite gone far enough yet - here's a screenshot of what I was playing around with a couple of days ago:

It very very badly needs refactoring and I am itching to improve it, haven't yet found the time! Thinking about storing random samples from the buffer, storing it in a pattern and looping that. I dunno. My mind gets ahead of my skill, which is both good and bad I suppose.

I'd love a dedicated SuperCollider thread (sorry to the analog purists in here) but I guess there aren't enough of us!

Edit: that wchoose in the image is broken. Didn't save after I fixed it oops

Cool stuff thanks. Sup fellow Ruby buddy. I'm currently writing distributed systems using Celluloid and JRuby, fun stuff!

I wouldn't recommend a dedicated SC thread, but maybe an SC, Overtone, PD, Max/MSP, ChucK, STK and other music programming thread. I know that the Max/MSP thread recently got eaten up by archives, and it had posts every so often.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sonicstate had a walkthrough on the new Modulus 002 and it's a high end synth (:20bux:) but it has some really cool features that I thought were interesting. Specifically the ability to actually edit your patches or sequences via a web browser and have them pushed to your synth. Even better is that this small company is open sourcing it to hopefully have other companies implement this feature as well. It could be a huge feature if it becomes popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Hdb0hDL4E

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

net work error posted:

Sonicstate had a walkthrough on the new Modulus 002 and it's a high end synth (:20bux:) but it has some really cool features that I thought were interesting. Specifically the ability to actually edit your patches or sequences via a web browser and have them pushed to your synth. Even better is that this small company is open sourcing it to hopefully have other companies implement this feature as well. It could be a huge feature if it becomes popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Hdb0hDL4E

I love that he equates it to a PRS. I guess that means it's unnecessarily overpriced and made for blues-dads?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Does anyone here actually own a System-1? I want someone to take a bunch of screenshots of the different SH-101 plugout presets so I can play around with these "classic" sounds on my SH-101

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Oldstench posted:

I love that he equates it to a PRS. I guess that means it's unnecessarily overpriced and made for blues-dads?

That's us. How many limited colors does moog have again? :ssh:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
There's something very appealing about the front panel design of the Modulus.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

The Modulus front panel reminds me of the Andromeda A6

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

New Gotharman sequencer - seems neat-o.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQkJJ3dPbk

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

renderful posted:

Cool stuff thanks. Sup fellow Ruby buddy. I'm currently writing distributed systems using Celluloid and JRuby, fun stuff!

I wouldn't recommend a dedicated SC thread, but maybe an SC, Overtone, PD, Max/MSP, ChucK, STK and other music programming thread. I know that the Max/MSP thread recently got eaten up by archives, and it had posts every so often.

How many programmers are in here? I recently moved to security research but was a developer for 9 years. Perl, PHP, and Python primarily.

I would definitely be interested in seeing the Max thread come back as a general programmatic music thread. The posters there helped me stumble through my noob problems learning the basics of PD.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

ashgromnies posted:

How many programmers are in here? I recently moved to security research but was a developer for 9 years. Perl, PHP, and Python primarily.
C/C++ here. System internals and networking. Mostly Windows, but ramping on Android. It's a living.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

ashgromnies posted:

Radiapathy posted:

C/C++ here. System internals and networking. Mostly Windows, but ramping on Android. It's a living.
Hi. I spent a career in infosec until last summer. Now, at the day job, I work in HPC, with FPGAs, hardware, HDLs, your typical ANSI standard languages, weirder ones, and the like.

I pray for your soul in security research. Wait, no I don't. More blood for the blood god.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ashgromnies posted:

I'm a lame CAD guy that only knows LISP, although I program for Intel's construction projects so there's that.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I'm just a dumb web developer working with Ruby. Pffffft

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
My CZ-101 battery mod came in the mail yesterday (the one from artefacts.nl). Gonna install it on Sunday. Which means I'll have a CZ-101 with a backlit screen which I can unplug without loosing my patches on. The only other thing I can think to do to it would be to make a diy ram cart.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
In learned order: BASIC, C, C++, Java, Perl, Javascript, C#/.net, Python, Dart
In practical use: Python

There are a handful of other languages I've dabbled in (Erlang, R, Forth, Ruby), or had to use for a single project (Lua, a dozen other scripting languages), but I don't remember enough of any of them to develop in them.

I find the more notable metric is which paradigms you're able to employ. Really what I know well is the imperative/procedural, object oriented, generic, and metaprogramming paradigms. I get the functional paradigm, but I couldn't sit down and really hammer out something functionally the way I can procedurally.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I work with bash/Linux, am I cool enough to keep posting in this thread?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I can start-up a computer. :frogc00l:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sjoewe posted:

I can start-up a computer. :frogc00l:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I am a Perl and Python programmer by trade and Im really excited for a rejuvenated computer music with code thread, because I've dabbled with both PD and Supercollider but never really got any result out of them I was looking for.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Not exactly synthesis related, but I've written a handful of tools for song composition with the Python library Mingus. It doesn't do everything perfectly and the code base hasn't changed in years, but it's cool for what it does.

Tools created:

Progression suggestion engine
Guitar tab to sheet music / notes
Sheet music to chord names

Those tools are currently in limbo though, having lost the MBP they were on to liquid damage. Due to something with the OS upgrade chain I followed, I can't access that home directory from any computer I attach the drive to.

Also, the big project I keep sidelining is a 6-operator Phase Modulation (FM) sound mimicry engine. The idea is you feed it a waveform and it approximates that sound with FM, spitting out the DX7 algorithm / operator configuration parameters. It currently works for static, harmonic waveforms, and it's going to be a long road to evolving ones.

I've built rainbow tables of the spectrum distribution of all possible (simple) configurations of DX7 voices minus any envelopes, but now I need to find some way to map vectors through those tables and derive envelope settings for evolving waveforms. The envelopes can be really fast and might have amplitude resolution greater than 11 bits though, so I don't know if my existing tables are good enough and oh god where do I start?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Why don't you loving nerds get into something cool, like measuring filter slopes?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

BKPR posted:

Why don't you loving nerds get into something cool, like measuring filter slopes?

Doesn't loving pay the bills.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I can tell you what mineral something is by licking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I can talk about linguistics for at least three hours straight to people who in no way are interested in linguistics