Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thanks Ants posted:

Who else is seeing a largeish increase in the amount of spam hitting filters this past week or so?

This month is at 16%, same as last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Thanks Ants posted:

Who else is seeing a largeish increase in the amount of spam hitting filters this past week or so?

No increase here.

rocket
Aug 16, 2002

LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLADIES!

Scaramouche posted:

Oh thank god. I didn't want to rub elbows with those grimy people who deal with "tickets" that "come in".

Pissing me off:
MSSQL SSIS Import from CSV.

Need to import a csv of customers and orders from a turnkey ecommerce solution. No problem! Let's just make an SSIS package for that bad boy. Too bad I have to:
- Add a semi-colon to every line because SSIS can't seem to figure out CR/LF, CR, or LF
- Track down what the gently caress encoding the file is in (Swedish??)
- Manually specify the data type and length for every single column because some data gets bigger past the 250 row 'preview' range
- Do this over and over and over again mixing and matching settings because the SSIS wizard will forget your settings every time you press back/next.

Sounds like Cobalt programming, except you have to specify spacing and tabs when you want to output a printed report. (long long time ago I worked on an IBM mainframe while I was in college.)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rocket posted:

Sounds like Cobalt programming, except you have to specify spacing and tabs when you want to output a printed report. (long long time ago I worked on an IBM mainframe while I was in college.)

COBOL.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Another Meraki MX firmware release, still no port translation on NAT rules that aren't for the first IP address you've set on the unit :downs:

rocket
Aug 16, 2002

LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLADIES!

teethgrinder posted:

Sweevo posted:

Thermal printers over USB are far far worse.

Serial works, whereas the USB version have the shittiest drivers know to man.
Hope you love running XP for the rest of the printer's lifespan.

Is that loving WHY? I just installed some brand new digital photo labs, and the servers ran XP. The software is 99% automated install but it reboots at least 50 times as it installs software and drivers for the photo printers, which are USB also.
There's a USB thermal printer attached to the server that prints ancillary labels for special orders.

The other issue with USB cables in this case, is that the first photo lab came with 10' cables instead of 6' cables. So the printers would randomly not initialize, or would suddenly stop working. At it was a known issue. They just had to overnight 6' cables to the rest of the new installs.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?

CitizenKain posted:

The problem with all banking software is at some point it has to talk to a mainframe that is running software that is older then almost everyone in the company.
On top of that, the UIs they come up with are so bad they remind me of video card/motherboard utilities. They have a special blend of Visual Basic/.Net default icons, combined with some royalty free clipart and word text.
One of our vendors just came out with their brand new document program to go along with their new account opening part of the core system. The program we have to use to create the documents will not run on a 64 bit OS. It looks like something from the early 90s. I threw it hex editor to see when it was made. This new and improved document system... Borland C++ 1994. They haven't done any major revamps of this document creation software since windows 3.1 was out!

My CIO came back and informed us that we must all learn the IBM Power7(as400). Why yes in my spare time I should just go gently caress around with the most critical device we have and that I know little to nothing about. What could go wrong? Apparently everyone in the department should just know everything about every technology that exists without any formal training.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Last week I cut someone off from support for the first time, a person from the company doing our internal audit that was a jerk last year and decided to stick with that strategy this year. He's a huffy man-baby that doesn't understand that we're his drat client, and coming in here and bitching at me that my network doesn't work and our printers don't work and our wifi doesn't work was more than I was willing to put up with. He's on a floor with about 70 people on it and a shitload of printers, copiers and wireless devices and just like last year he's the only one having a problem. I told him his I.T. people could contact me so we could discuss his continuous tech issues and he rolled his eyes at me.

I told the CAO that this dipshit is cut off from tech support until he apologizes to me for his rudeness. I don't expect that to ever happen.

Today I find that the external audit team (from a different company than the internal team) unplugged one of our WAPs so they could plug their own switch in. They are usually polite people so I chastized them gently but who really does that when they go to a client? Is the piece of equipment plugged in and has blinking lights on it? Don't touch it without asking! Jesus.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today's piss-me-offs just keep on coming. Right now it's the sunk cost fallacy and the reason why some terrible switches can't be replaced is because they once cost some money.

I'm happy to keep taking an hourly recharge rate to reset them, but it's a waste of everyone's time.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Oops, we marked something as being fully supported but we never actually did any of the work on it and now someone's going to go install this device that we don't support in 60 minutes.

:suicide:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Che Delilas posted:

I mean, there's always the option of actually sitting down to a one-on-one with your manager and just laying it out for him. Tell him exactly why "number of tickets closed" is a useless method of evaluation, and yeah, tell him to back off on the micromanagement. A manager breathing down my neck only lowers my quality of life due to increased stress, and ultimately leads to less of my poo poo getting done. But I have to let the manager know that, because there's at least a chance he's just ignorant or it's his first time managing IT or something, and that he legitimately wants to get things done.

Of course, then you have the other, distressingly common, type of manager: the guy who gets aroused when he exercises power over another human being. He knows people hate being micromanaged, he knows it stresses us and makes us dislike our job just a little bit more. And he likes it, because he gets to feel like "the boss," to hell with actually advancing the interests of the company like he's paid to.

Can't do anything about the latter type except get away from them, but I always want to at least give them the chance to prove they're the former.

I had this problem a few months ago and I mentioned it to him then. The response was "I'm your manager, i'm meant to be going through your tickets, that's not micromanagement". He didn't go for the whole "sure, spot check it man, but trust me to actually be working". I've also mentioned that the number of tickets closed is stupid because all the high performers are duplicating tickets so they can get credit for calls they've taken and raised. He doesn't care. Its why i'm doing my best to get out, i've had the problem before.

Granted, it did go away for a few months, but that was because of something else that took up all of his time.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

I had this problem a few months ago and I mentioned it to him then. The response was "I'm your manager, i'm meant to be going through your tickets, that's not micromanagement". He didn't go for the whole "sure, spot check it man, but trust me to actually be working". I've also mentioned that the number of tickets closed is stupid because all the high performers are duplicating tickets so they can get credit for calls they've taken and raised. He doesn't care. Its why i'm doing my best to get out, i've had the problem before.

Granted, it did go away for a few months, but that was because of something else that took up all of his time.

Ah, then yeah, in your case you've done what you can.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My coworker imported 9,000 computers into an SCCM collection that should only have 19. Then argued and got super pissy when I pointed out that she switched less than and greater than signs in her query. She basically asked for every computer in the company except those 19. "That's how I always write them. That's how it's supposed to look, something's wrong with SCCM. You need to fix it." :eng99:

GentlemansSleepover
Apr 26, 2010

Slate Slabrock posted:

My coworker imported 9,000 computers into an SCCM collection that should only have 19. Then argued and got super pissy when I pointed out that she switched less than and greater than signs in her query. She basically asked for every computer in the company except those 19. "That's how I always write them. That's how it's supposed to look, something's wrong with SCCM. You need to fix it." :eng99:

A Techpriest in the making if I've ever seen one

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Slate Slabrock posted:

Knowing nothing else about your situation, I feel like this almost warrants a talk with your supervisor, because she is grossly unfit to manage an enterprise environment.

Of course I say that knowing full well where any such talk would go. Siiigh.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Knowing nothing else about your situation, I feel like this almost warrants a talk with your supervisor, because she is grossly unfit to manage an enterprise environment.

You are sounding more and more broken as time goes on.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I have magic fingers. I can destroy a Linux install with 100% certainty.

This time: After successfully using Ubuntu for an entire week without loving up, while waiting for an SSD RMA, I download a Windows ISO and use unetbootin to create a live USB. Unetbootin doesn't list the drive I want under USB, so I switch the drop-down to see if it's listed under Hard Drives.

Then my thumb brushes the laptop's touchpad and it hits OK on the default option.

I now have a Windows install disk mounted at / on an ext4 disk. Go me.

Who puts the "Choose a hard disk" button so close to the "Go ahead with no confirmation or way to cancel whatsoever" button anyway?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Jeff Atwood's blog post on UX design remains timeless.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Loten posted:

I couldn't even bring myself to destroy DAF the last time he drunkposted. :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Loten posted:

In our field, experience and cynicism goes hand in hand.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dick Trauma posted:

Last week I cut someone off from support for the first time, a person from the company doing our internal audit that was a jerk last year and decided to stick with that strategy this year. He's a huffy man-baby that doesn't understand that we're his drat client, and coming in here and bitching at me that my network doesn't work and our printers don't work and our wifi doesn't work was more than I was willing to put up with. He's on a floor with about 70 people on it and a shitload of printers, copiers and wireless devices and just like last year he's the only one having a problem. I told him his I.T. people could contact me so we could discuss his continuous tech issues and he rolled his eyes at me.

I told the CAO that this dipshit is cut off from tech support until he apologizes to me for his rudeness. I don't expect that to ever happen.

So I believe you've said your company is in the financial market, but is it actually some sort of weird eugenics program with the intent of breeding the biggest rear end in a top hat imaginable?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cue Dick Trauma's boss threatening to fire him for speaking down to the auditor who he plays golf with on the weekends or something and then magically getting a fat bonus a week later because the DirecTV is "digital" now or some nonsense.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I don't get paid enough and it pisses me off daily. I started super super low and have scratched out a minimum 5% raise per annum with as high as 15% some years. I am going in to ask for a 27% bump that will put me at making a little less than twice what I started at 5 years ago and only just what I feel is the correct amount for my experience, responsibilities and area (70k, 7 years, lots that I would rather not detail, Boston).

EDIT: Told that nobody is getting more than 3% and that he understands if I need to go elsewhere.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 29, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
You could move to Worcester or Providence and pretend you got a 10k raise. Cool city, but gently caress Boston rent.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am the supervisor in the shop. We had a talk this morning about attitude and it's okay to be wrong and when you are wrong, own your poo poo and don't be a jerk. Also that I was promoted for more than a nice rack and I sometimes know what I'm talking about. I don't think it needs to go any higher because it will get blown way out of proportion and I'll have to hear about it on every meeting for the next year.

Today we have a client Trainer with no laptop, no Citrix access, no webmail. His training materials are located on his "Microsoft" and can I please set that up for him?

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I couldn't even bring myself to destroy DAF the last time he drunkposted. :(

If your current job is crushing your spirit that much, it might be time to move on man.

The company I started with 7 months ago has been bleeding staff since I started - my boss quit on day 2, change manager a month later, the only other senior systems engineer a month after that. So now they've decided to outsource the entire IT department. I've been super stressed about the entire process, but being so incredibly short staffed actually gave me a bunch of opportunities to shine and I've somehow turned a potential redundancy into a job + promotion at the outsourcing company. It's not official yet, but I'm apparently going to be offered an architect level position.

Once this entire process is done I'll post a few stories about my co workers and examples of what not to do in this situation. Stuff like: don't swear at your manager in front of the new overlords, no matter how much of a useless prick he is. That is how they will see you deal with difficult clients.

Loten fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 29, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Slate Slabrock posted:

Today we have a client Trainer with no laptop, no Citrix access, no webmail. His training materials are located on his "Microsoft" and can I please set that up for him?

What was he there to train? IT? :downs:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Loten posted:

Once this entire process is done I'll post a few stories about my co workers and examples of what not to do in this situation. Stuff like: don't swear at your manager in front of the new overlords, no matter how much of a useless prick he is. That is how they will see you deal with difficult clients.
But the thread title said...

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I was talking with some former co-workers today and started laughing at them when they told me what they were up to - apparently they were now patching a bunch of servers that hadn't been updated since April (by me). The reason why I was laughing? Because the primary reason they low-balled our pay under the new contract was because we weren't going to be doing any more patching, so there was no reason to pay us our outrageously (not really) large salaries. Apparently our parent unit said they didn't have the time or manpower to do any of the patching, so rather than man-up and admit they hosed up, the powers-that-be decided to just make the server farm team resume their patching duties. All the new guys were sadly nodding their heads when I told them they were getting boned.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

John Kruk posted:

I don't get paid enough and it pisses me off daily. I started super super low and have scratched out a minimum 5% raise per annum with as high as 15% some years. I am going in to ask for a 27% bump that will put me at making a little less than twice what I started at 5 years ago and only just what I feel is the correct amount for my experience, responsibilities and area (70k, 7 years, lots that I would rather not detail, Boston).

EDIT: Told that nobody is getting more than 3% and that he understands if I need to go elsewhere.

Unless losing/replacing you would be a giant pain in the rear end for someone who has real influence over the company purse strings, the only way you're getting a raise that big is to find a new job. I spent about a decade working at a company (well, a succession of companies if you take into account the endless mergers/buyouts) that never gave raises at all; I got a decent bump when I moved from my original company that they bought out to their corporate HQ in another city, and a pretty low (like 10%) raise with a later promotion. When I finally got fed up and left, I was getting paid so little that my new job (which was more or less the same position I was already in) ended up being a 60% pay raise, and it's not like the new company was overpaying or anything (they were pretty much middle of the market curve, while my salary at the previous company literally wasn't even on the graph :v: ). And while my current company doesn't give very big raises, they do give you at least enough to cover cost of living increases every year, at least so far.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

dennyk posted:

Unless losing/replacing you would be a giant pain in the rear end for someone who has real influence over the company purse strings, the only way you're getting a raise that big is to find a new job. I spent about a decade working at a company (well, a succession of companies if you take into account the endless mergers/buyouts) that never gave raises at all; I got a decent bump when I moved from my original company that they bought out to their corporate HQ in another city, and a pretty low (like 10%) raise with a later promotion. When I finally got fed up and left, I was getting paid so little that my new job (which was more or less the same position I was already in) ended up being a 60% pay raise, and it's not like the new company was overpaying or anything (they were pretty much middle of the market curve, while my salary at the previous company literally wasn't even on the graph :v: ). And while my current company doesn't give very big raises, they do give you at least enough to cover cost of living increases every year, at least so far.

Oh yeah the writing is on the wall. We were bought by another company a couple years back and it is clear that they are building up the core business to sell off soon for a profit so things like raises have been declining. It is sad because I do get 25 days vacation and around 12 holiday days a year which is really high in the US.

The only other guy that has shared knowledge is going away on paternity leave for like 6 weeks in October so the timing is going to suck for my coworkers. We all work super well together and are friendly but I don't really buy into the whole loyalty thing if it is at the expense of my finances and family.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 30, 2014

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Issues affecting customers "production" websites, but they can't be assed to respond.

I guess at least I'm not playing triage at over 100 tickets an hour, there was a dark time when I was handling 200~ tickets an hour for days on end. (50% new, 50% old).

Sometimes the ticket system breaks and no one notices since it doesn't break completely. Then we get a flood of issues X days old, however long it was broken.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

John Kruk posted:

The only other guy that has shared knowledge is going away on paternity leave for like 6 weeks in October so the timing is going to suck for my coworkers. We all work super well together and are friendly but I don't really buy into the whole loyalty thing if it is at the expense of my finances and family.

Just wondering here, but how feasible would it be for you and your colleagues to form your own company/partnership and contract yourselves out?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
GCC moving my function addresses around. gently caress you gcc! :argh:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
We run a service for a customer that answers queries that the customer is paid for. The customer is responsible for setting our IP address in various places so the queries come to us and we can answer them, generating the revenue. They set the wrong IP in about half of these places so the queries aren't being answered, the service isn't working, and they're getting paid half what they should be. It's been months and they still haven't made the change, and occasionally respond to our requests for an update to say they're still looking into it. The wrong IP they used belongs to a backbone provider, and today that provider threatened to filter our customer's entire network if they don't stop incompetently DDoSing them with misdirected packets. I wonder if suddenly losing reach to 3/4 of the Internet will be something our customer notices?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Alereon posted:

IP Fuckery

I remember at one of my old jobs, my team leader back in the day decided to allocate a public /16 to one of our sites (135.100.x.x iirc) which we didn't even *own* for internal management, even though we had more than enough RFC1918 space available. Luckily that range didn't host any major websites or services on the Internet so we never saw any issues. Glad I only had to deal with him for a few months before he quit.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Just wondering here, but how feasible would it be for you and your colleagues to form your own company/partnership and contract yourselves out?

I have discussed it with one of my coworkers. Between us we have 15 years experience in dental IT. We know the ins and outs of all of the various practice management software including backend. I am just super super super nervous about the idea of going on my own and being poor while doing so. There is a large number of private practices around and I do have some connections with dentists.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

GCC moving my function addresses around. gently caress you gcc! :argh:

Don't rely on addresses in relocatable binaries any time glibc or GCC changes. Or you change the source. Or make options. Or don't do this in general.

Link against the library and let the linker handle it. Or dlopen. Or parse the elf header.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

John Kruk posted:

I have discussed it with one of my coworkers. Between us we have 15 years experience in dental IT. We know the ins and outs of all of the various practice management software including backend. I am just super super super nervous about the idea of going on my own and being poor while doing so. There is a large number of private practices around and I do have some connections with dentists.

Check your contracts, especially any mention of non-competes or non-poaching agreements, if you're considering this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Don't rely on addresses in relocatable binaries any time glibc or GCC changes. Or you change the source. Or make options. Or don't do this in general.

Link against the library and let the linker handle it. Or dlopen. Or parse the elf header.

This was a kernel module I am working on. I turned optimizations completely off and it worked fine again. :downs: