Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Oh no it's summer and I have to drink mojitos and margaritas and clover clubs and fizzes

(Can I come over?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

PT6A posted:

Alternatively, get a six pack of the San Pelligrino lemonades and start mixing the gin with it. The gin will be gone before you know it, trust me! (to be replaced by a godawful headache in 6-8 hours)

This is a go-to. I will also admit to having mixed gin and Fresca a non-zero amount of times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mooyashi posted:

This is a go-to. I will also admit to having mixed gin and Fresca a non-zero amount of times.

Nothing wrong with that. I once went to a bar where they had a "gin mojito" that involved gin and fresca. It was tasty, but it was in no way a mojito.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Does anyone actually like mojitos? I've had them out, I've made them at home. Nothing has ever blown my socks off. I'm convinced the effort is what people like; make you work longer than usual, it must be worth something.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Unless you're a twenty three year old dipshit. "I'll have an Old Fashioned" 'Preference on your liquor, sir?' "Nah, gimme the well."

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I know it's my job. I'll smile on the serve. I will, however, hate my life for the few seconds that I grab everything necessary and find the muddler to serve something with Kentucky Gentleman.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Does anyone actually like mojitos? I've had them out, I've made them at home. Nothing has ever blown my socks off. I'm convinced the effort is what people like; make you work longer than usual, it must be worth something.

Depends if the person making it understands the difference between "muddling" and "pressing" the mint leaves. Too many tards shredding the poo poo out of herbs and releasing a bunch of nasty chlorophyll into drinks... Not only that, congrats, when you do that poo poo you make the drink look like barf AND get poo poo all stuck in the straw.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

mooyashi posted:

Unless you're a twenty three year old dipshit. "I'll have an Old Fashioned" 'Preference on your liquor, sir?' "Nah, gimme the well."

The correct answer to this question is Korbel.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

mooyashi posted:

Does anyone actually like mojitos?

You are a broken shell of a human being.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Coco13 posted:

The correct answer to this question is Korbel.

Goddammit Wisconsin.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Waci posted:

You are a broken shell of a human being.

No argument here.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Gin and san pel sounds bangin.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Booties posted:

Gin and san pel sounds bangin.

It works best with the lemon flavour, followed by the grapefruit flavour. Personally, I don't like it with the orange flavours, but, then, I don't like the orange flavours in general. I'd also say you should avoid using any gin that's too floral or has much citrus character to begin with. I tried mixing Port of Barcelona with Limonata once, and it was a miserable failure -- ruined both the gin and the limonata.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

PT6A posted:

It works best with the lemon flavour, followed by the grapefruit flavour. Personally, I don't like it with the orange flavours, but, then, I don't like the orange flavours in general. I'd also say you should avoid using any gin that's too floral or has much citrus character to begin with. I tried mixing Port of Barcelona with Limonata once, and it was a miserable failure -- ruined both the gin and the limonata.

Yeah I'll use my cheap alcohol tasting one. Not something floral like Hendrick's

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Haha, I'm just teasing you. Tommy's Margs are the best, can't beat the classic ratio.

Yep, any 100% agave is fine; but FYI tequila is by definition only made with blue agave. How much does that run you a bottle? You can go pretty cheap for mixing without noticing a taste difference.

Try making them with mezcal (cheap, again, you don't need a single-origin Del Maguey) or floating mezcal on top if you want to change it up. Or a spicy rim, which I find is good on a beach. Mix 1oz kosher salt, 1oz raw sugar and 1oz chipotle spice mix on a plate and use it to rim your cup or dip a lime wedge into.

$20 for a fifth of Sauza 100% blue. And the rest of that post sounds delicious.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So this is neat: The Complete List of American Whiskey Distilleries & Brands

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

PT6A posted:

Nothing wrong with that. I once went to a bar where they had a "gin mojito" that involved gin and fresca. It was tasty, but it was in no way a mojito.

It could always be worse:

http://www.kfc.co.in/menukrushers-Virgin.php

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Here's an interesting article about craft whiskey in America:

Your craft whiskey is probably from a factory distillery in Indiana

I'm not going to quote the whole thing because it's fairly long, but it's basically about transparency and dishonesty in marketing/labeling. Worth a read though, especially if you're working at a cocktail joint or a whiskey bar.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

That article doesn't really tell the whole of the truth, since barrel maturation and blending are just as important to the final whiskey as the mash bill. Yes, Redemption Rye and Templeton are close to the same beast, but the blender's art is picking which barrels go into the bottle. And High West, for instance, does some of their own barrel maturation (less now that they've started up a still). Protip: Pappy Van Winkle is dead, and there is no Van Winkle distillery, but the final juice ain't bad by half. Though I'm going all in as saying that prioritizing your marketing over your product is a bit of a bummer (and I'm not pointing fingers, there's just stuff I choose to carry/suggest pouring over others).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Vegetable Melange posted:

That article doesn't really tell the whole of the truth, since barrel maturation and blending are just as important to the final whiskey as the mash bill. Yes, Redemption Rye and Templeton are close to the same beast, but the blender's art is picking which barrels go into the bottle. And High West, for instance, does some of their own barrel maturation (less now that they've started up a still). Protip: Pappy Van Winkle is dead, and there is no Van Winkle distillery, but the final juice ain't bad by half. Though I'm going all in as saying that prioritizing your marketing over your product is a bit of a bummer (and I'm not pointing fingers, there's just stuff I choose to carry/suggest pouring over others).

I think it's more a matter of the marketing that says "Distilled at our small distillery in X city/state" when they're just buying the whiskey and blending/aging it themselves.

Hell, the vast majority of vodka is the same way - the distillery will buy it by the barrel, bottle it, and market it. They might distill it one or two more times so it's not completely dishonest, but still.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That beverage is bad, and they should feel bad.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Depends if the person making it understands the difference between "muddling" and "pressing" the mint leaves. Too many tards shredding the poo poo out of herbs and releasing a bunch of nasty chlorophyll into drinks... Not only that, congrats, when you do that poo poo you make the drink look like barf AND get poo poo all stuck in the straw.

I finally must have had someone do it right last night. Leopold's Navy Strength, lemon juice, simple syrup, mint. God drat.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

mooyashi posted:

I finally must have had someone do it right last night. Leopold's Navy Strength, lemon juice, simple syrup, mint. God drat.

I like to either rip them in half once then press with the muddler once, or I stack all the leaves and kind ring them out, gently, then put them in the drink with a light press.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
worked in a downtown joint once where the bar-manager told me to shake the mint with the rum/sugar :cripes: the same place wanted me to put sugar rims on the mojitos

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

JawKnee posted:

worked in a downtown joint once where the bar-manager told me to shake the mint with the rum/sugar :cripes: the same place wanted me to put sugar rims on the mojitos

that's not a mojito. we call them "mint jawns"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Booties posted:

I like to either rip them in half once then press with the muddler once, or I stack all the leaves and kind ring them out, gently, then put them in the drink with a light press.

Take good leaves, spank them in the palm of hand, drop into glass, build drink, garnish with tip of the sprig and a lime wheel. Tearing or breaking the leaves releases chlorophyll. Chlorophyll in drinks is bad.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Take good leaves, spank them in the palm of hand, drop into glass, build drink, garnish with tip of the sprig and a lime wheel. Tearing or breaking the leaves releases chlorophyll. Chlorophyll in drinks is bad.

Chlorophyll has no effect aside from a green color. It's the various polyphenols and their oxidation products (similar to the ones that make cut apples go brown) that you should be griping about.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah! Good to know. It was taught to me as "chlorophyll is bitter" so I'm glad to know the science behind it.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Frozen Horse posted:

Chlorophyll has no effect aside from a green color. It's the various polyphenols and their oxidation products (similar to the ones that make cut apples go brown) that you should be griping about.

Oooooo wooooow. So tearing/cutting releases these too?

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Just had a coworker at my current non bar job tell me "If I were you, and had even half a plan (thinking of returning to school for some cool poo poo next fall), I would quit this job, go back to bartending, start stacking cash, have a drink at the end of your shifts, go home, wake up, do it again and then go do what you really want to do with yourself."

There really is no job like it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

FaceEater posted:

have 10 drinks at 3am and open the next morning

nothin like it

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I was talking to a friend about work dreams and it turns out we have a couple in common. One we both have is where it's after last call and the lights are up but the door guys are still letting people in and I'm running around telling everyone they can't be served. Another is about running out of booze in a bar full of people and trying to improvise. Anybody else have recurring bar-themed dreams?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

constantly being in a whiteout and unable to catch up because of mounting distractions was a common one for me

e: like, it would start out trivial: well vodka runs out or something, then while you're getting a new bottle a keg blows, then the glass washer is full and needs to be dealt with, then someone broke a glass in the well and it needs to be burned, and all the while you see those tickets keep popping up ararghghg I'm stressing out just remember these gently caress

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 1, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Had a dream the other day that the Freemasons rented out our bar to do an initiation ceremony. Another bartender and I were "sworn to secrecy" or whatever. Vague threats were made, and in the dream it was terrifying. We see our friend in a fake beard about to be inducted, and he turns to us, goes :ssh: and chuckles. I go to get more ice in the lull, and I'm barred from exiting.

"Nobody leaves during the ceremony. And besides...I saw what happened..."

Weird work dream.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

That was no dream; welcome to the USBG!

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Building your Mojito is such a dufus move. It's a drink like the rest. South sides aren't built to protect the precious mint. Also, just make mint syrup.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Have fun with a bunch of poo poo floating in your drink? Don't shake mint dummy.

Agree on syrup, though. Or just banish mint in general.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I shake mint in a few drinks of mine, you just fine strain that poo poo. probably wont ever mind me shaking and fine straining a mojito though

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Have fun with a bunch of poo poo floating in your drink? Don't shake mint dummy.

Agree on syrup, though. Or just banish mint in general.

Rumpleminze would like to have a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
A slurred, cockeyed word.

• Locked thread