Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

^ My sister would scream if she saw that. She's downright in love with Groot and Rocket and wants the two of us to cosplay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

MajorGravy posted:

So, I haven't posted here in ages since getting my new job, but I'd just like to show what I've been working on for the past week, getting ready for the premiere of the movie tomorrow. It's finally done.

and compared to a normal dude around 5' 8" tall.

Obligatory JoJo pose.

That is awesome!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo. Awesome.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap, this thread is inspiring! I'm still about a year away from getting into the kind of shape I want to be in for cosplay, but this is now bookmarked. The OP hasn't been edited in about a year, are there any newbie tips & tricks that aren't linked in it?

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Thanks guys! Question though, would it look better with that beige bodysuit, or a black one? Trying to figure out if the contrast of colors would help.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I like the beige, myself.

FANTASTIC work! :neckbeard:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I think the black might look better given how dark some of the shadows are.
God that is fantastic though. How'd you make it?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

MajorGravy posted:

So, I haven't posted here in ages since getting my new job, but I'd just like to show what I've been working on for the past week, getting ready for the premiere of the movie tomorrow. It's finally done.

and compared to a normal dude around 5' 8" tall.

Obligatory JoJo pose.

You are Groot!!

Seriously awesome. Do you mind if I post it in the PYF thread too? Because that poo poo is just great. For the bodysuit I'd probably try and dye the beige one just a few shades darker/slightly greener to match the upper bark if you can but I didn't think it was distracting as is. I'd go beige over black if it were me.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Totally cool with that! Whole costume is made from scraps of 6mm EVA foam rubber sheets,and loads of superglue and contact adhesive. Lots of carving and sanding, with a couple of sleepless nights thrown in the mix.

Our Star Lord is almost done too, just a few more details here and there like his shoulder pauldron, gauntlet and stitching details.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Definitely black. It looks amazing. Great work!

SusiePhone
Nov 11, 2008
Well, I got my Raistlin contact lenses, and I don't think I've ever been so disappointed! I was so excited when the package arrived, and then.... well.

Here's the picture I sent them.

And here's what I got.

Less like hourglasses, more like a capital 'i'. So, months of waiting, two trips to the opticians, and $300 later, I still don't have contacts. Okay, most people would 'make do' with these, and I guess they're okay, but I've put too much effort into the rest of the costume to have it let down by the eyes, arguably the MOST IMPORTANT part of the whole cosplay!

Well, off to find another company to make a new pair, and start saving up again. *Sigh* Anyone got any recommendations?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SusiePhone posted:

Well, off to find another company to make a new pair, and start saving up again. *Sigh* Anyone got any recommendations?

Wait, no! If you're disappointed, don't just throw the money away and give up. Write them back, "Hey, you might have sent me the wrong contacts or something, but this is not what I ordered." See if they'll make it right, or, failing that, if you can't get your credit card company to back you. It would be one thing if you ordered off-the-rack contacts for $35 or something and the color wasn't quite what you expected, but you paid a lot of money for a very specific thing and it's worth fighting for it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yond Cassius posted:

Wait, no! If you're disappointed, don't just throw the money away and give up. Write them back, "Hey, you might have sent me the wrong contacts or something, but this is not what I ordered." See if they'll make it right, or, failing that, if you can't get your credit card company to back you. It would be one thing if you ordered off-the-rack contacts for $35 or something and the color wasn't quite what you expected, but you paid a lot of money for a very specific thing and it's worth fighting for it.

Seriously. That's a lot of money to end up disappointed. Let the company know you didn't receive the product as commissioned!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yond Cassius posted:

Agreed. You may even have some legal recourse if they refuse to refund you or ship the product as advertised, seeing as how it's a $300 product.

SusiePhone
Nov 11, 2008
Well, I'll certainly email them to say I'm not happy, but I don't know if I might have screwed the pooch by putting them on, whether that means they won't do a refund or return. At least, if you guys agree, then it's not just me that thinks they look nothing like the picture I sent!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Holy icons! Also, holy pain in my rear end!!

Wings just need to be glued down and the chainsword is ready for formin'!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SusiePhone posted:

Well, I'll certainly email them to say I'm not happy, but I don't know if I might have screwed the pooch by putting them on, whether that means they won't do a refund or return. At least, if you guys agree, then it's not just me that thinks they look nothing like the picture I sent!

If they ask, you looked at them, thought the color was too flat and pale, and tried them on because you wanted to give the company the benefit of a doubt, because maybe they'd look better on. They're supposedly custom work, right? They shouldn't be able to sell them to anyone else anyways. And again, if they resist, let them fight with the credit card company. They promised you something and failed to deliver.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

SusiePhone posted:

300 bones is way too much to be disappointed. Don't email though, call - emails they can ignore. No reason to let them off the hook on this.

The ones you got look wild regardless. But yeah, nothing like what you sent. You sent a "8" and they shipped back an "I"

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Do any of you guys have tips for making a costume (just jeans and a shirt in this case) look realistically dirty? I know the most obvious thing is to drag them through actual dirt :v: and I have done that, but it actually doesn't look like it'll stick that well through a wash, and besides, I'm going to a costume party in someone's house. I realized it wouldn't be very polite to leave dirt around their home if I apply it nice and fresh before I go. Suggestions?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blue Scream posted:

Do any of you guys have tips for making a costume (just jeans and a shirt in this case) look realistically dirty? I know the most obvious thing is to drag them through actual dirt :v: and I have done that, but it actually doesn't look like it'll stick that well through a wash, and besides, I'm going to a costume party in someone's house. I realized it wouldn't be very polite to leave dirt around their home if I apply it nice and fresh before I go. Suggestions?

Rubbing coffee grounds into it can get some brown stains. I did that for my Wasteland costume. Also, locate spots that would realistically end up worn from use and rub them hard with sandpaper to add artificial wear and tear.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Reference photos for what look you are trying to achieve?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Water down some craft paint, lay the clothes down flat (in a tub or something) and just splat on a layer or two until it looks grody enough! Acrylic paint is pretty much permanent on cloth once it dries, I aged this shirt over a year ago and it still looks as good (gross?) as the day I made it:

Squarely Circle posted:

Watered-down acrylic paint is great for this. Here's a shirt I recently made to look old and nasty, it started out as plain white canvas. I just laid it down in the bathtub and dribbled watery black/brown paint over it, let that dry, then added more layers. I stained it with some tea, too, though I think that may have mostly come out when I washed the shirt after wearing it.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

Reference photos for what look you are trying to achieve?

e: Thanks for the tips, everyone! Obviously I could also use tips on the fake blood. I don't think I want to put it on my face, but I definitely need it on the shirt. I've found recipes online with corn syrup, chocolate syrup, ketchup, beets, you name it, I just keep thinking I'd like it to be a little less...edible?

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 31, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually used honey in place of corn syrup before and it worked perfectly fine. Why don't you want to use food products? It may endear you to pets a little more, but stuff like corn syrup and food coloring are horror film standbys for a good reason.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually used honey in place of corn syrup before and it worked perfectly fine. Why don't you want to use food products? It may endear you to pets a little more, but stuff like corn syrup and food coloring are horror film standbys for a good reason.

I just thought it would be more likely to attract flies and stuff. I guess it won't be such a problem if I just wait until the day of the party to do it (I tend to like to have stuff finished ahead of time). Or maybe I'm just overly squeamish! I didn't know that about the horror films--that's pretty neat. :gibs:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blue Scream posted:

I just thought it would be more likely to attract flies and stuff. I guess it won't be such a problem if I just wait until the day of the party to do it (I tend to like to have stuff finished ahead of time). Or maybe I'm just overly squeamish! I didn't know that about the horror films--that's pretty neat. :gibs:

Insects aren't as much of a problem as it seems, unless your party is outdoors.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
So, I've decided to attempt actually making a decent costume for Halloween this year, as opposed to just piecing together a few cool looking things together from the thrift store.
I figured this was the best place to get help for that. I've decided on being a standard miko/shrine maiden this year. I was able to find a decent tutorial and pattern for the skirt/pants thing, (called a Hakama, I believe) but I'm having a hard time finding a pattern for the top part.
Do any of you guys know of a pattern I can use? (Preferably an easy-ish to make one, as I am a novice at sewing.)

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Blaziken386 posted:

So, I've decided to attempt actually making a decent costume for Halloween this year, as opposed to just piecing together a few cool looking things together from the thrift store.
I figured this was the best place to get help for that. I've decided on being a standard miko/shrine maiden this year. I was able to find a decent tutorial and pattern for the skirt/pants thing, (called a Hakama, I believe) but I'm having a hard time finding a pattern for the top part.
Do any of you guys know of a pattern I can use? (Preferably an easy-ish to make one, as I am a novice at sewing.)

My first thought was of Kikyo of InuYasha, so that's what I did a search on. Hope it helps.
http://www.miccostumes.com/blog/how-to-make-inuyasha-kikyo-miko-cosplay-costume/

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

(Edit: Link fixed now that I'm not on mobile.)

Try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/FolkWear-Japanese-Hakama-Kataginu-Pattern/dp/B00162ZSIU

http://roundearth.stores.yahoo.net/dogiforwomen.html

You could also try a traditional kimono or yukata pattern, making modifications where needed.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 1, 2014

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Speaking of patterns like a robe, here's something that was much more satisfying to work on than I would have thought. Maybe if IT doesn't work out I can become a tailor.

This is 5 yards of fabric at 5 feet wide. I guess I was dead on with my guess. Only like 6 inches to trim off the back on the bottom there. I felt reaaaal out of place at Jo Ann's.

Still have to go back for velour for my face :smuggo:

But, it fits, and I won't trip over it. I believe my next steps are to sew the lines I've pinned, trim the excess fabric, then turn the thing inside out to hide the seams. Target sells a lovely $16 handheld sewing tool, which I'm hoping will do the trick. If anyone wants to tell me how wrong I am, please do it in the next week or so, thanks :pseudo:

hhhat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 3, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
What's the end result for that robe hoping to be?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Babygravy posted:

What's the end result for that robe hoping to be?

Mine? One of these guys.

I found a bunch of images like this online searching for 'robe pattern' and made a guess.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

hhhat posted:

But, it fits, and I won't trip over it. I believe my next steps are to sew the lines I've pinned, trim the excess fabric, then turn the thing inside out to hide the seams. Target sells a lovely $16 handheld sewing tool, which I'm hoping will do the trick. If anyone wants to tell me how wrong I am, please do it in the next week or so, thanks :pseudo:

For the love of god, don't waste your money on one of those handheld sewing tools. They are completely and utterly poo poo. Use a real sewing machine for everything you can, and then just leave a small bit open for turning and hand-stitch the opening when you're done if you're worried about obvious top-stitching.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Anyone have any tips for scaling down pepukura armor? I managed to find a great gauntlet design but it's made for people with much larger hands than mine.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

taiyoko posted:

For the love of god, don't waste your money on one of those handheld sewing tools. They are completely and utterly poo poo. Use a real sewing machine for everything you can, and then just leave a small bit open for turning and hand-stitch the opening when you're done if you're worried about obvious top-stitching.

Bearing in mind that I've never sewn anything ever and that a real machine costs like $200 or something which is way more than I'd want to drop on this and I don't have access to one anywhere, and I wouldn't know what top-stitching is in order to worry about it... so I shouldn't be doing that? Should I attempt to do it by hand instead? I imagine it would take hours.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

cool kids inc. posted:

Anyone have any tips for scaling down pepukura armor? I managed to find a great gauntlet design but it's made for people with much larger hands than mine.

If I understand, isn't it where you print the design on paper and fold it up... couldn't you simply scale the image prior to printing? Use the zoom function on the print options even?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

hhhat posted:

Bearing in mind that I've never sewn anything ever and that a real machine costs like $200 or something which is way more than I'd want to drop on this and I don't have access to one anywhere, and I wouldn't know what top-stitching is in order to worry about it... so I shouldn't be doing that? Should I attempt to do it by hand instead? I imagine it would take hours.

Top stitching= visible stitches on the surface of the fabric.

I've never used a handheld sewing gadget so I can't speak for them personally, but I have never heard anything good about them. Hand sewing does take a while, but some stitches are quicker than others and the results can be just as good as a machine if you do it right. I like this tutorial for photos, explanations, and comparisons of some different hand stitches.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm hoping to get some advice on creating a costume of The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3. For reference, heres an image: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/068/f/8/metal_gear_solid_3___the_boss_by_mrgameboy2013-d5xgsgh.png
I'm on my tablet, otherwise I'd just post the picture.

Anyway, I can't sew, but a friend has agreed to help me out with the sewing. I want to do my best to make less work on her. For the base I was looking at a silver one piece bodysuit, then possibly attaching the other fabric/straps separately. Is there any supplier in terms of the body suits? Or recommendations for fabric to use? I have a pretty similar face shape and my hair will be around the same length by Halloween so I'm confident I can get a pretty close look with some contouring, but I just want some advice for the outfit itself. I'm planning on making a Patriot gun, props are more my domain. :shobon:

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 4, 2014

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

hhhat posted:

Look for second hand sewing machines or refurbs. Estate sales are good for them and remember: machines from the 40s-70s are amazing and durable and usually only need a bit of maintenance because they're all-metal beasts. Computerized doesn't always mean better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trigona
Nov 15, 2008
So, this is a fairly low-effort cosplay in comparison to some of the amazing outfits you guys have been creating, but I was hoping for some last minute advice.

In two days I have to go to a party with a video-game dressup theme. Now I happen to have a huge hearthstone card that I thought would be pretty perfect for this, as I could modify it fairly easily and just cosplay as a giant hearthstone card.

What I am wondering is how I should go about this? At the moment, I am in two minds - I could either attach some straps to it, and wear it like one of those dudes wearing a billboard sign, or I could change the inlay and replace it with a more zoomed in image and a hole for my head (the current images head is too small).

I suppose attaching straps and just wearing the card over my shoulders is my easier from a work point of view (and also doesn't destroy a pretty cool card), but I feel it might be more like wearing a card/sign rather than actually 'cosplaying' it and becoming the card by you know, having my head/face become a part of the card.... However, I feel changing the inlay could be pretty challenging, and it could just end up looking rather poor.

Attached is the card in question, its A0 size, any advice is welcome, however I have never tried to make a costume before, so my skill levels are fairly low to say the least.