Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
That's because Eric Weems owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

As do kick returners who put a foot out of bounds and stretch

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cozz posted:

Now, what was confusing and obscure rule last year was Eric Weems doing trying to recover a punt in the end zone during the Bears and Vikings game. The Vikings touched a punt within the five yard line but did not actually down the ball, so Weems knocked it out of the Endzone for a touchback when it looked like he was being an idiot and going to cause the Bears to lose a possession, but it was a smart veteran play because he knew the rule. Mike Pereira was unable to show up that day, but that was due to technical issues from Fox that Thom Brennemann kept apologizing for.

Weems was the Bear set to return the punt but he stepped out from under it because it was dropping close to the goal line. A Viking touched the ball without downing so Weems ran over to the ball and knocked it out the back of the endzone?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah I thought that would be a safety

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah once the punting team touches it nothing bad can happen to the receiving team. That's why you see the returners hanging out in the area of the ball and getting shoved away so often.

I swear someone scored this way for the Chiefs a long time ago (punting team touched the ball and got lazy watching it), maybe it was Tamarick Vanover or Dale Carter?

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

BougieBitch posted:

If you look at the score you can see that different teams are playing. The Raiders fan plays Santana in Glee or something. I guess she has a sibling on the Raiders.

The player on the Raiders is Mychal Rivera. He played at Tennessee. It's his sister.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Bort Bortles posted:

The reason it is a rule is because the receiving team is supposed to have a fair chance to return the kick (because they can not oppose the kick like you can with a punt), and the rule is the way it is so that the kicking team kicks it to a spot that is feasibly returnable, which the NFL has deemed to be far enough in bounds that if the receiving player can have a foot out of bounds, it is a penalty.

Now, I am not saying I agree with this rule or think it should be as it is, but I understand why it is there and I think it makes sense from a principals standpoint.

I agree with the rule specifically for this reason. Kickoffs cannot be rushed or blocked, so they should always be returnable, and reasonably so, unless you kick it out the back of the end zone. Kicking too far to one side in the field of play should be punished since you're taking half of the field away from the returner. If you want to eliminate returns, find a kicker who can consistently produce touchbacks. I mean, gently caress, they even moved kickoffs back to the 35 again now, in an era with much stronger kickers. The NFL return game has already been damaged enough. Allowing coffin corner kickoffs would probably end the kick return game completely.

Of course, I would never argue this with punts since they are contested and a punt is not a fully live ball, having to be touched by a member of the receiving team before it can be live to the kicking team.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 19, 2014

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
This looks like a holdover from Rugby Union,

"If a player with one or both feet on or beyond the touch-line (or touch-in-goal line), picks up the ball, which was in motion within the playing area, that player is deemed to have picked up the ball in touch (or touch-in-goal)."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

This looks like a holdover from Rugby Union,

"If a player with one or both feet on or beyond the touch-line (or touch-in-goal line), picks up the ball, which was in motion within the playing area, that player is deemed to have picked up the ball in touch (or touch-in-goal)."

That is definitely not part of the 1873 rules that American football started with, and I don't see anything about it in the rule changes through 1911. The code was generally pretty ambiguous early on, and didn't really get organized and specific about definitions like that until much later. RU must have adopted that rule independently.

I'm pretty sure at this point it's just consistency - a player out of bounds touching the ball makes the ball itself out of bounds and dead in all situations, no exceptions.

I wouldn't mind seeing an illegal touching situation for a man deliberately going out of bounds, however.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Deteriorata posted:

That is definitely not part of the 1873 rules that American football started with, and I don't see anything about it in the rule changes through 1911. The code was generally pretty ambiguous early on, and didn't really get organized and specific about definitions like that until much later. RU must have adopted that rule independently.

I'm pretty sure at this point it's just consistency - a player out of bounds touching the ball makes the ball itself out of bounds and dead in all situations, no exceptions.

I wouldn't mind seeing an illegal touching situation for a man deliberately going out of bounds, however.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me :). I just know it is a rule in rugby so thought it may have been a holdover from that, interesting to see that both sports adopted it independently of each other. Always good to learn new things.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

This is one of the few rules that seems to go accross all forms of football, the nrl and rugby union have the same rule if you have a foot out of bounds and catch it, the kick is out on the full. Doesn't explain it, but it's kind of interesting I guess.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Does the ball have to be recovered by an OOB player, or is simply contacting the ball sufficient?

I'm amused by the hypothetical scenario of a kickoff returner running out of bounds and then diving back onto the field, his arm out-stretched to down the ball while technically OOB, making sure to do so before he landed and re-established himself as in-bounds.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
Apropos of nothing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Apropos of nothing.

Can't help analyzing this to figure out what went wrong.

The kicker nods his head right at the start, which seemed to be taken as the signal to snap the ball by the center.

It appears he also said something as well while he nodded his head, as the holder had been looking at the center but was suddenly distracted and turned his head to the kicker at that same moment.

Fun ensues.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deteriorata posted:

Can't help analyzing this to figure out what went wrong.

The kicker nods his head right at the start, which seemed to be taken as the signal to snap the ball by the center.

It appears he also said something as well while he nodded his head, as the holder had been looking at the center but was suddenly distracted and turned his head to the kicker at that same moment.

Fun ensues.

Its too bad, too, because that snap is perfect.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The kicker's starting to sprint to his right before the holder gets it in the face. Maybe they were running a fake? Or maybe he was just reacting to the holder looking at him and not the ball.

The pure shock and confusion in the second one is beautiful. How did this not win .gif of the year?

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
I just created the gif on Saturday after re-watching that game on Friday. Once I saw that replay in slow motion, I knew there was gold in them there hills.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Clowney seems pretty good, guys.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

bhsman posted:

:stare: I mean, I know it's practice but, Sweet Jesus..

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TyroneGoldstein posted:

:stare: I mean, I know it's practice but, Sweet Jesus..

I am expecting a RIP_Chad_Henn.gif at some point, but I have a feeling by the time the Jaguars play the Texans it will be Bort that gets murdered on the field :ohdear:.

(The Texans and Jaguars do not play until week 14)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell the o-line didn't even touch him.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

He needs to wrap up :colbert:.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

bhsman posted:

I like how the RB keeps running as if he somehow broke the tackle and not that Clowney decided practice wasn't worth murdering a dude

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like how the RB keeps running as if he somehow broke the tackle and not that Clowney decided practice wasn't worth murdering a dude

I was thinking the same exact thing, haha. Can't wait to see Clowney just rock some dudes this year.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I like how it looks like they didn't have a jersey big enough to fit him so it looks like he's wearing a kid's size.

Texans D should be #1 this year...our Offense??

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

I was thinking the same exact thing, haha. Can't wait to see Clowney just rock some dudes this year.

They're told to do that. If you'll go to camp you'll see people run up field even after being hit.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Rabble posted:

Texans D should be #1 this year in Offense.

ftfy

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Percy Harvin and Earl Thomas are fast yall :stare:

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

Percy Harvin and Earl Thomas are fast yall :stare:

Not shown: Percy Harvin injuring his achilles, both knees, dislocating an arm, and breaking his back when a slight breeze passed by just off camera.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
robert kraft is hip and with it. he knows what these groovy kids are down with.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kelvin throwin bombs

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

BlindSite posted:

Kelvin throwin bombs

Wanna see Kelvin throw bombs to Cam in wacko formations

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Kelvin throwin bombs

Can't coach size, can't coach arm strength

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alouicious posted:

Can't coach size, can't coach arm strength

Can you coach that throwing motion? :stonk:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

Can you coach that throwing motion? :stonk:

The HoF game announcers went to great lengths to show us that yes, you can, in fact, coach throwing motion.

Given the context of the explanation, you can't coach completing passing, apparently.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Febreeze posted:

Wanna see Kelvin throw bombs to Cam in wacko formations
Kelvin doesn't have to throw it that far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMgizuHOOfM&t=455s

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

The HoF game announcers went to great lengths to show us that yes, you can, in fact, coach throwing motion.

Given the context of the explanation, you can't coach completing passing, apparently.

You can coach it, and have players looking pretty good in practice. However, once game time comes players tend to revert back to their old selves. It's pretty rare that a player is able to re-work their whole throwing motion by the time they reach the NFL because it requires some serious commitment.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

HappyHelmet posted:

You can coach it, and have players looking pretty good in practice. However, once game time comes players tend to revert back to their old selves. It's pretty rare that a player is able to re-work their whole throwing motion by the time they reach the NFL because it requires some serious commitment.

Yeah, that. I'm trying really hard and I can't think of one NFL quarterback who ever successfully made significant changes in throwing motion, and it actually stuck. Stafford comes close sometimes, then reverts right back to that half-assed sidearm thing he does.

I haven't seen many Dolphins games, but I hear Tannehill is getting better at his release point so he's having less balls batted down at the line? I mean, that's the only other one I can even come up with right now.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Rodgers always gets brought up in this conversation but the main thing for him seems to have been don't hold the ball by your ear before you start the pass.

I don't know, here he is at Cal and here's a Green Bay highlight video. It's entirely possible I'm missing something more than the point where he starts his motion.

• Locked thread