Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That's clearly a thermal cannon shoddily attached to a Thunderfire, unfit to bear the title of either Frost or Murder or Claw or Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

That's clearly a thermal cannon shoddily attached to a Thunderfire, unfit to bear the title of either Frost or Murder or Claw or Wolf.

Frostburn cannon. Can be fired in two modes, a "lone wolf" lance shot or a "howl" template.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Guys please stop coming up with fake names for GW products. It's like Poe's law for naming models. If you post about the new Murder Blizzard model I can't tell who's joking and who's not anymore.

Direwolf posted:

Frostburn cannon. Can be fired in two modes, a "lone wolf" lance shot or a "howl" template.

Like this right here. loving GW I can't tell if this is real or not. :lol:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
My friend's uncle works for GW and he said they're adding a Whirlwind variant called the Icewind that can shoot out clouds of exploding caltrops called Hailfang Mines. The other gun shoots a bigass wolf servitor with rocket paws that shoot off.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Sulecrist posted:

My friend's uncle works for GW and he said they're adding a Whirlwind variant called the Icewind that can shoot out clouds of exploding caltrops called Hailfang Mines. The other gun shoots a bigass wolf servitor with rocket paws that shoot off.

STOOOOPPP you're gonna give me brain problems!!!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

CyberLord XP posted:

Too late for that, friend, you're posting in a games workshop thread

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

It's extremely shameful that not only are, "Icewind," and, "Hailfang," believable, compared to other poo poo they're not even that bad.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I dug up some old third ed Blood Angels stuff I had and was wondering if I could make any sort of viable army or allied detachment out of this? It would be allying with Guard.

Mephiston
Some commander with a jump pack
A captain of some sort with a melta gun
2 tac squads w/ missile launcher and flamer
1 Devestator squad (Multi-melta, lascannon, plasma cannon, heavy bolter)
Assault squad with jump packs
Metal furioso dreadnought
Rhino
Chaplain(? One of those dudes with the skull masks)
Death Company - all metal with bolt pistols and chain swords
Terminators with power fists and storm bolters

Haven't actually seen anyone in my area field Blood Angels in a long time and it looks like there are some really cool plastic sculpts out now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How is the finecast Thunderfire Cannon cast quality? I want one but not if it's a pain to build.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

ijyt posted:

How is the finecast Thunderfire Cannon cast quality? I want one but not if it's a pain to build.

inversely proportionate to it's quality in the game

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The Thunderfire Cannon is notorious for being one of the worst kits (in terms of assembly) that GW has produced. Even in Finecast, you're assembling huge pieces together that only vaguely fit. The nice part is, if you order one and it's off you get two for the price of one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ijyt posted:

You're better off getting the threepack of Jotunn Hailstorm Cannons for half the price of a single thunderfire and kitbashing some techmarines, and honestly I think the Jotunn is better looking anyway.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Scour ebay for a metal one that isn't twice the RRP. I'm glad I did, because even factoring in stripping paint and taking it apart to clean flash, it was still easier than dealing with Finecast.. gently caress Finecast.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

You're better off getting the threepack of Jotunn Hailstorm Cannons for half the price of a single thunderfire and kitbashing some techmarines, and honestly I think the Jotunn is better looking anyway.

Or better yet just get some toilet rolls and one if those little skateboards.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Ahahaha wtf GW. 135 points for 8-10 s7 AP2 attacks on the charge with reroll to wound and mastercrafted. Murderfang indeed.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Ahahaha wtf GW. 135 points for 8-10 s7 AP2 attacks on the charge with reroll to wound and mastercrafted. Murderfang indeed.

It's a walking dread. *yawn*

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
So, do those claws count as two weapons? Also, wouldn't it be Str8 because of furious charge? Would not be able to do much to a Wraithknight/Imperial Knight but everything else will be a bit worried by that profile, if it can ever catch anything.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can you drop pod it? With the alpha strike restrictions lifted, it kind of makes drop podding dreads a bit terrifying again.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Boon posted:

Can you drop pod it? With the alpha strike restrictions lifted, it kind of makes drop podding dreads a bit terrifying again.

Yes. Yes you can.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Naramyth posted:

It's a walking dread. *yawn*

Unless you buy the Stormraven formation.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So, do those claws count as two weapons? Also, wouldn't it be Str8 because of furious charge? Would not be able to do much to a Wraithknight/Imperial Knight but everything else will be a bit worried by that profile, if it can ever catch anything.

Dreadnoughts generally get +1A when they have a 2nd close combat weapon and lose 1A if they replace a CC weapon with a gun. This is in lieu of the "2 weapons" rule.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cataphract posted:

Or better yet just get some toilet rolls and one if those little skateboards.

This joke gets funnier the more you post it!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Well, I just finished assembling the Thunderfire for my brother and it wasn't that bad. Clunky pieces, yes, but not nearly so bad as, for instance, the metal Hurricane Bolters or the old Tomb Spyders.

CyberLord XP posted:

You play Warhammer, therefore you already do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21gaUp1DvVs

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 29, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PierreTheMime posted:

The Thunderfire Cannon is notorious for being one of the worst kits (in terms of assembly) that GW has produced. Even in Finecast, you're assembling huge pieces together that only vaguely fit. The nice part is, if you order one and it's off you get two for the price of one.

Easier to assemble than the metal one.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

uncleKitchener posted:

I noticed the GW store at London's Brent Cross had closed down. Any idea when that actually closed down? I used to pass by that store every now and then, but didn't visit for a year or so.

Is that the one in the big indoor mall? Or the one in the outdoor mall downstairs with the low ceilings?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

I noticed the GW store at London's Brent Cross had closed down. Any idea when that actually closed down? I used to pass by that store every now and then, but didn't visit for a year or so.

I'm almost certain that one closed down almost 10 years ago. A bit after the Ealing one closed, and around the same time as Hammersmith.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Ghost Hand posted:

Easier to assemble than the metal one.

I haven't had to assemble a metal one, but the finecast one went together well except for the bits along the barrel. I think some hot water would solve that. I've heard tales of having to shave the metal one or heat and reshape it in the fires of my doom, so id guess finecast us better. Ill be assembling a second one soon, so ill know if I got lucky the first time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
As long as the casting quality of the Thunderfire is okay, the Finecast one goes together just fine. The metal one is a torture I would wish on few of my enemies.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
While digging around my stuff I found the Forgeworld Damocles Command Rhino upgrade kit, back before they sold it as a bundle with a Rhino. I'd gotten it a couple months ago for free from a dude who likes to just unload random poo poo on me because he gets disinterested in things at random, and I only just now opened it.

It's missing a head and two arms, as well as one of the seats. Whoever owned it before also made a cast of the sitting marine and it shows--it's an off-white resin instead of the usual grey. I'm probably not going to get any money off of this as the only person selling the kit on Ebay is a recaster from China, so I'm thinking of just keeping it and painting it up nice.

Which begs the question: is the Command Rhino worth using? It doesn't really take up a slot, and helps with getting reserves out as well as acting as a teleport homer, but as my main army is Deathwing I'm not terribly worried about getting poo poo out of reserves (lol terminator alpha strike is horrible).

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Space Wolf dread models are seriously making me consider playing them for shits and grins, but I've got two armies on the go as it is and don't need to be collecting new models with the painting queue I have.

Pity that one cannot jam the new flyer transport full of wolves. The image of a dog's head barfing out more dogs tickles my puerile sense of humour.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Sir Teabag posted:

I dug up some old third ed Blood Angels stuff I had and was wondering if I could make any sort of viable army or allied detachment out of this? It would be allying with Guard.

Mephiston
Some commander with a jump pack
A captain of some sort with a melta gun
2 tac squads w/ missile launcher and flamer
1 Devestator squad (Multi-melta, lascannon, plasma cannon, heavy bolter)
Assault squad with jump packs
Metal furioso dreadnought
Rhino
Chaplain(? One of those dudes with the skull masks)
Death Company - all metal with bolt pistols and chain swords
Terminators with power fists and storm bolters

If you're looking for Guard Allies you could take your Death Company (troops choice) and Chaplain (Elite or HQ), as a thematic and pretty killy unit. The Death Co have rage, FNP and reroll to hit and wound on the charge with the Chaplain. Then one or two of whatever else interests you. Tac Squads aren't that useful if you're guard, but if you stick the assault squad full of melta it could be a neat option to storm troopers, as Blood Angels get deep strike rerolls.

I hear old metal dreads are best used for throwing during games store tantrums

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

If you have only one drop pod in your army, can you decide if it drops on the first turn or if you hold it in reserves?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

DJ Dizzy posted:

If you have only one drop pod in your army, can you decide if it drops on the first turn or if you hold it in reserves?

No, I think it has to drop.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

Half on the first turn, rounding up. So it drops. Pretty neat for a melta squad or whatever

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Anyone who says Helbrutes are terrible has not played against a Helbrute Murderpack, first off it has Murder in it's name which is automatically +1, 2nd it has a character Dreadnought with a 5++.

Is it expensive? Hell yes, is it awesome? Hell Yes. Why? It's a Vehicle Squadron so go ahead and cast Forewarning or Invisibility or Shrouding or any of the other buff spells and have it affect all 5. Good luck killing that.

Seriously, the Dataslates for the Helbrutes are pretty much all really good.

Plus have fun fighting 8 Helbrutes and 3 Maulerfiends, which is actually super fun to play. I played a proxied army like that and holy poo poo is it fun. Plus, you can get a Helbrute for pretty cheap on Ebay.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 30, 2014

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Sulecrist posted:

Does anyone feel like ranking and describing, on a spectrum from poor to awful, the following Chaos units?:

Raptors
Warp Talons
Maulerfiend
Forgefiend
Defiler
Helbrute
Terminators
Chosen

I have a friend who played Chaos who I'm trying to lure back in, and I'd like to help him avoid nasty surprises. Our group tends to use a lot of terrain, for what it's worth.

Jumping in from last page, but I have a couple small issues wiith this list.

Maulerfiends are pretty good CC monsters, and should not be included here. Run two or more and you can get a few cheap-ish assault death machines that will be in your opponent's deployment zone on turn two, being big threats that need to be dealt with, taking the hate off the rest of your army.

Forgefiends aren't bad either. They're a little pricey, points-wise, and Chaos is a book where you run into "That's decent, but this other unit is better". Forgefiends often get passed up because a couple other HS options tend to be either cheaper and accomplish roughly the same thing (Havocs) or more versatile (Oblits) Sadly Forgefiend often get sent packing on for these reasons. I'm personally a huge fan of Havocs with all Autocannons.

Raptors aren't terrible. They suffer from the same problem as Forgefiends "They're OK, but XYZ is just much better. CSMs have a really bad rear end Fast attack slot now, which hasn't always been the case. When you are unfortunate enough to share the same slot as the AMAZINGLY AMAZING Heldrake, you're gonna spand a lot of time on the shelf. Barring the Heldrake, both Spawn waves and bikers usually get the same job done as Raptors.

Termies are really good! If you run them cheap... I put down a 3 man squad, all with combi-meltas, and deep strike in as a cheap, surgical suicide / harassment unit. It comes out to about 125 pts, almost always blows up whatever it shot at, and now becomes another problem my opponent has to divert attention to, ever for a turn or two.

The above units aren't bad, they range from middle of the road to good.

I would say Worst to best...

Warp Talons (Just too drat expensive with a very meh ability)
Defiler (Again, just way too expensive for what it does)
Chosen
Helbrute
Raptors
Forgefiend
Terminators
Maulerfiend

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
That's good to hear! I'd add that my friend doesn't like the look of the Heldrake, so he probably won't feel bad about taking Raptors.

I'm also toying with the idea of building myself a small Chaos Zone Mortalis force once my first thousand points of Marines are done, since I didn't really enjoy painting Orks as much as I'd hoped. I've got myself the Chaos half of DV, so I'll start by painting up a Kill Team and if the colors hook me I may add some cool pieces and spin it into 500, maybe 750 points.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just disagree completely with the Helbrute being terrible now that the Dataslates have been released. Like on it's own yes, but Helbrute Dataslates are really awesome. Each one is good.

Warp Talons like Possessed can actually be made amazing when allying with Chaos Daemons and the Cursed Earth bonus.

It's actually possible to have a Chaos Daemon, Chaos Space Marine force with all daemons in each slot.

Daemons

Chaos Sorcerer or Chaos Lord<- Voice of the Prophet(Crimson Slaughter) makes him a Daemon
Daemon Prince
Possessed <- Daemons can be troops!
Heldrake and Warp Talons <- Both Daemons
Maulerfiend, Forgefiend, Defiler, Obliterators

I don't think I missed any, but yeah you can have fun with a "all daemon CSM and CD" army.

It's expensive but a 20 man Slaanesh unit of Possessed that's been Grimoired and has a Chaos Sorcerer w/ Hammerhand is kind of bad rear end. Roll on Sanctic trying to get Sanctuary or Hammerhand or Gate of Infinity, if you get Gate of Infinity start rolling on Telepathy or Malefic. Hell Yea. With Cursed Earth and Grimoire you got a 2++ unit with Feel no pain.

It's not like OMG competitive but it's a fun army to play.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Wow it sure seems like GW Management really takes the whole imperial doctrine a bit literally.

"An open mind is like a fortress with its' gates unbarred and unguarded" indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I like Chosen because you can run a small 5-man squad all with Plasma Guns, even on the champion.

• Locked thread