Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Moon Monster posted:

You can farm surface plants, but which ones you'll be able to farm depends on your biome while you'll always be able to farm all underground plants.

You can look up what grows where in the wiki, but the easiest way to find out what will grow is to designate a big section to gather plants. Brew what you collect, and you'll have seeds ready to grow in that biome.

Underground farms are safer and easier though. Well, they used to be safer. Now that mushrooms can poke holes in the ceiling digging out soil layer at all seems pretty dangerous. :psydwarf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Daynab posted:

From two pages back but I had the chance to do it.

Put that in data/init/world_gen.txt, then open the "Design a world with advanced parameters" and it should be at the bottom. Press e to go into advanced parameters and disable the seed for history since mine had no elves or goblins. Try a few times till you get what you want.

For anyone else interested, this was the interesting part:

Care to post the world map showing where it is, exactly? I love maps like that. Just a screen shot of the embark screen showing the X on the appropriate spot. Unless there are only a few volcanoes in the world, then I guess it's easy enough to find. :)

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Kommando posted:

There was a discussion on this a few pages back. my takeaway message was +dicipline, one miltia teacher, turkeys, no miner, no anvil, and one of every type of meat product.

FWIW I just put the refuse stockpile somewhere well traveled. They get over the corpse horror fairly quickly and that trains up discipline.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Urist McWoodcutter cancels place body in coffin, overcome with grief.

Yeah, carting your dead wife to her grave will do that to you.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Care to post the world map showing where it is, exactly? I love maps like that. Just a screen shot of the embark screen showing the X on the appropriate spot. Unless there are only a few volcanoes in the world, then I guess it's easy enough to find. :)

Try genning a world. It's not exactly Where's Waldo.

I've genned this world 10 times and I've never seen any elves. :iit:

EDIT: I don't need to sound so dickish. There's a single volcano on the world map.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 30, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dragon_pamcake posted:

Try genning a world. It's not exactly Where's Waldo.

I've genned this world 10 times and I've never seen any elves. :iit:

This afternoon I've done a dozen or so different small worlds. No goblins in any of them. :iiam:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki posted:

Just the one volcano.

I've managed to get 3 towers, goblins, and humans as neighbors so I think I'll do that one. Elves won't spawn at all. :iiam:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I tried putting in a history seed from the wiki that claimed to have all four civilizations (dwarves, humans, elves, goblins) and no go.

For crying out loud, I've had a Kobold Hamlet, but no elf cities.

EDIT: Are goblin hamlets peaceful?

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2014

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah I've been mucking about with ridiculous amounts of civs and really short histories (10 or 25 years) and it's definitely just not spawning elves for whatever reason.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
No elves? A tragedy. Where will we get our rat weed, pig tail ropes, and *pine short swords*?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Specifically on that map? Is it really short on forests or something? Not enough contiguous trees to even place them?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Specifically on that map? Is it really short on forests or something? Not enough contiguous trees to even place them?

Looks like that's the problem. The entire northern part of the map is a swamp. The rest is either mountains or grassland.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah looks like it doesn't actually have any forests at all, it's all swamp or marsh.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

what if you edited that worldgen to have min_volcanos = 5 or so

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Doesn't look like it changes the first volcano's location so feel free to ramp up the number of volcanoes if that's what you're worried about.

Other than that, I don't see any changes.

EDIT: Also ramping up minerals doesn't change the geography at all. Now there's actually iron in this world.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 30, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Aside from outright turning off Weaving, is there any way to stop this from repeating itself?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think you can mass forbid all webs from the stocks screen and then use the reclaim designation on the webs you might actually want.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

I think you can mass forbid all webs from the stocks screen and then use the reclaim designation on the webs you might actually want.

I don't see 'webs' under Stocks, but I think I might have a short term answer. I went to my Loom workshop and pressed "s" to suspend all work at that workshop. Because the workshop is the thing that's spamming the Collect Webs job, hopefully suspending it will stop my dorfs from telling me they can't get to any.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
You can do it at the 'o'rders screen as well I believe. Auto collect webs. Then you can make all the ++Dog Wool Burqua++s that you want.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In the [O]rders menu you can turn off auto collect webs. Then they won't try to collect any webs unless you specifically tell them to, but other loom functions proceed normally.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

In the [O]rders menu you can turn off auto collect webs. Then they won't try to collect any webs unless you specifically tell them to, but other loom functions proceed normally.

Awesome. Thank you. Now to deal with "Urist McDwarf cancels Store item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible..."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Angela Christine posted:

You can look up what grows where in the wiki, but the easiest way to find out what will grow is to designate a big section to gather plants. Brew what you collect, and you'll have seeds ready to grow in that biome.

That reminds me... I tried planting and brewing a bunch of potatos. I wanted vodka and ended up with potato wine. :mad:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This goblin civilization has ~50 goblins and 1550 trolls. It's been led by a demon for the last 200 years, and it's pretty much singlehandedly destroyed the 3 dwarf civilizations in the world. Two have been destroyed for 150 years, and the third hangs on by a thread (~40 dwarves in the whole thing).

:iit:

There's also a dragon associated with wealth and fire that's been rampaging up and down the mountains.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TildeATH posted:

That's because you're thinking it's fortress mode but instead of one year with an overseer you get one life with an adventurer or some other arbitrary thing.

The best way a 2014 DF LP could go is if each successive player got 7 days of real time to do whatever the hell they wanted in the shared world. If they want to create a series of forts to make the Great Wall of Dwarfdom, then that's fine. If they want to found a fort and play classic overseer, that's fine, and if they want to reclaim a previous player's fort, that's fine.

And if they want to spend their week adventuring and dying to sponges over and over again, I bet that would make a good turn, too.

And the added benefit is that if the turns are in real time instead of dwarf time, then we don't run into the plague of all DF LPs: turns that consist of weeks of nothing but posts by the current player apologizing for not having the time to finish their turn.

This has to be done at some point, a Dwarf World LP, rather than a Dwarf Fortress. Yeah, there will be no 20 year epics, but whats stopping someone taking a second turn to continue their fort, or someone else taking over said fort if they are interested.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Awesome. Thank you. Now to deal with "Urist McDwarf cancels Store item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible..."

If it is just one guy, first make sure that he isn't stuck somewhere. Sometimes a dwarf will wall himself in, drop a statue on his foot, or pass through a narrow hall just as mushroom trees sprout up to block both ends.

If it is just one item, you can forbid that item and be done with it. Usually you can't find the item though.

If you can't find the item and you really, really want the spam to stop you can use the nuclear option. If you've dug too deep this will be tiresome. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Forbid

Go to the top level of the sky, upper right corner and then hit [d] [b] [f] and then move your cursor to the lower left corner, and all the way down to the lowest level you have revealed at all. This will forbid absolutely everything on the map.

Then use [d] [b] [c] and mass reclaim all the areas that you are using and that you know don't have any objects on unreachable tiles. This can be a bit fiddly in places. Now unpause, and if you've successfully forbidden the troublesome items the spam should stop.

If the spam continues, feel free to shriek and bash your head against your desk a few times. At least you have seriously narrowed down the area where the could be so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

There's also a dragon associated with wealth and fire that's been rampaging up and down the mountains.

This is your new god.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is your new god.

I'm going to catch him and call him Smaug and we'll have good times roasting goblins.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Apparently I started as a dead dwarven civ. Apparently my fortress, Honorstaff, was the only site for that civ. Apparently I can retire my fortress, make a bunch of ¤Grand Master Biters¤, retire them where they start, and have an instant militia.

Edit: there is no militia yet and my just-retired adventurer dwarf has a single thought: he is upset about being relieved from duty :aaaaa:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently I started as a dead dwarven civ. Apparently my fortress, Honorstaff, was the only site for that civ. Apparently I can retire my fortress, make a bunch of ¤Grand Master Biters¤, retire them where they start, and have an instant militia.

Edit: there is no militia yet and my just-retired adventurer dwarf has a single thought: he is upset about being relieved from duty :aaaaa:

You have to feel for him, he's spent his entire life preparing to go on epic adventures, he finally gets his chance, and what does he get told? "You are on guard duty"

Poor sod.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

♪ WALKING ON TREES AND FLIPPING OFF SPONGES // ON WIIIIIIIIIINGS OF A DEVLOOOOOOOOOOOG ♫

Toady One posted:

Less computer trouble today, more issues fixed. It's good when the computers are working. This was another sort of random wandering through the list.

fixed display of tree roots designated for mining
made trees update indoor/etc. settings properly upon removal
stopped mining of root tile from removing the tree
removed requirement that a creature have a baby/child state to breed completely
fixed unretire message on linux/osx
stopped dwarven forges in world gen sites from using thrones instead of anvils
fixed message for being caught in a cloud of vapor/dust (Quietust)
made random creatures only spit liquid spittle
fixed state token for mud creature tissues (Quietust)
stopped traders from bringing unspecified "liquid" from bloodsucking animals (Quietust)
fixed plant growth consumption preferences (Quietust)
made vision arc display turn off for blinded creatures
made scarred-over wounds to broken functional layers continue to impair function
removed special materials from dwarf prefs
clarified generated items in stockpiles (can't remove yet)
fixed adjectives for randomly generated blowdarts/bolts (old saves still wrong)
fixed reversed display of zone-sizing controls
removed leathery egg materials from copperhead snake

scamtank fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 30, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

atomicthumbs posted:

That reminds me... I tried planting and brewing a bunch of potatos. I wanted vodka and ended up with potato wine. :mad:

I kinda want to start calling vodka potato wine in real life now.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Literally Kermit posted:

I'm having the same no-migrant bug - not even the obligitory "couple early stragglers then a migrant rush in the fall" you'd get even with a dead dwarf civ. Also while my yak cows are birthing, none of my bitches have whelped yet. No puppies. :saddowns:. Oddly, no dwarven births, either.

I learned that, if you've been copying over your d_init.txt file from 0.40.xx release to release to release, it breaks migration waves in 0.40.05, because a new setting was added to the file.

Specifically, the new setting is [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]. If this option is missing from your d_init.txt, it is assumed to be zero, thus preventing any migration or baby births.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

This has to be done at some point, a Dwarf World LP, rather than a Dwarf Fortress. Yeah, there will be no 20 year epics, but whats stopping someone taking a second turn to continue their fort, or someone else taking over said fort if they are interested.

I really think this needs one major thing to be really viable: sites not being insta-conquered out of world gen. The way it is now an invader will always win. Which is just depressing when it comes to retired forts and generally leads to goblin world domination.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

TildeATH posted:

You were lucky. *Walled into a tomb as a child by a jealous overseer*

Pfft. *killed by a giant blind fire-breathing turkey after ordering takeout for my birthday*

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OhCrap posted:

Pfft. *killed by a giant blind fire-breathing turkey after ordering takeout for my birthday*

At least your not the threads comic relief *Falls on face*

NewMars posted:

I really think this needs one major thing to be really viable: sites not being insta-conquered out of world gen. The way it is now an invader will always win. Which is just depressing when it comes to retired forts and generally leads to goblin world domination.

I for one welcome our new goblin overlords!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kommando posted:

what if you edited that worldgen to have min_volcanos = 5 or so

That doesn't actually add volcanoes as I recall, it just makes the game reject the world if it doesn't have enough.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Devlog posted:

Less computer trouble today, more issues fixed. It's good when the computers are working. This was another sort of random wandering through the list.

Toady... does have backups, right? :ohdear:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Keep in mind that this little rear end in a top hat once came very close to deleting everything off his messy desktop.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I'm glad toady uses visual studio and not some pitch-black vim console setup or something crazy.

Edit: vvv Something that would indicate he's not as completely insane as he could be.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Jewel posted:

I'm glad toady uses visual studio and not some pitch-black vim console setup or something crazy.

Something that would indicate he is a good programmer?