Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

The only people who like horses are young girls who are a little... strange. And they loving love horses. Horse shirts, horse notebook, horse backpack, horse folders, horse wallpaper. Horse life.

That's not true!

There's also the adults that some of those young girls grow into, and they're even stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I opted into the nightly build to see if Novakids were in yet and now it instantly crashes every time I try to run it :saddowns:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angry Diplomat posted:

I opted into the nightly build to see if Novakids were in yet and now it instantly crashes every time I try to run it :saddowns:

Delete your config file, saves and universe folder and try again.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
They are in but are basically just funny looking humans at the moment.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Every race is just funny looking humans

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

burds are majestic and not funny looking :saddowns:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Babe Magnet posted:

Well yeah, but I mean there is no Novakid specific content. They have the human ship, human starting sword and human voice effects.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
And the novakids wear fishmens clothing. They aren't the cowboys yet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's cool, they're the Magnificent Seven.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I managed to find an outpost last night. It was empty save for the shops but it's looking cool!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I was thinking of something in irc earlier and I think it's a really good idea - let's make a community projectile mod. Projectiles are reaaaally easy to make, really flexible and pretty fun in action. Something needs to fill the void left by cranky pants modder who quit because chucklefish didn't use their mod.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Wait so does this mean I can't have horsetits as my AI

This is important.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
So quick question, where should I look if I wanna find what kind of cool stuff is coming in the next update? (also like a rough guess as to when its coming would be nice as well)

Edit

Nevermind, read the OP, asked dumb questions.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 24, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

dog kisser posted:

I was thinking of something in irc earlier and I think it's a really good idea - let's make a community projectile mod. Projectiles are reaaaally easy to make, really flexible and pretty fun in action. Something needs to fill the void left by cranky pants modder who quit because chucklefish didn't use their mod.

I'm down. Feel free to start tossing up poo poo on the dropbox!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Party Alarm posted:

I'm down. Feel free to start tossing up poo poo on the dropbox!

Alright - I'll just start adding stuff and we can sort out how to get it working later! What's the link again?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

What do you guys mean by projectiles? Gun bullets? Throwable weapons? Flying spittle?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

And when you say easy.... how easy?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Elth posted:

What do you guys mean by projectiles? Gun bullets? Throwable weapons? Flying spittle?

Gun bullets in this case! The idea is to make just projectiles so that you can then merge that in with the existing projectile options so that generated guns can actually have cool, weird effects rather than the samey plain stuff there is now.

Rotten Cookies posted:

And when you say easy.... how easy?

Pretty easy! Here's a template I made for someone earlier. (for guns, but it includes projectiles as part of it!)

quote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9boupgm5...TemplateGun.rar
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9boupgm5i5irdu/TemplateGun.rar

I whipped this up for you - based on some random gun mod I found, didn't do the sprites or anything. That's always my first step - see if I can find a mod that is roughly the same sort of thing I'm trying for and reverse engineer it. In this case, I was looking for a gun, so I searched the mod database for a pack that had like one basic gun with no frills so it was less likely to confuse me.

I wrote pretty thorough comments for each relevant line in each file (comments after //, by the way, with multi-line comments /*like this*/). I'd suggest the first thing you do (after reading it, I guess) is to rename every instance of templategun to whatever you want it to be called.

Things you ought to do:
-Get Notepad++ if you haven't got it already - it makes things easier to look at, since it's designed for stuff like this
-Unpack the assets.pak file in starbound/assets with this. It's way easier to learn to do stuff in this format if you actually have something official to learn off of, and they packed it all away.

So, let me know if you need help. If something screws up, look at Starbound.log in your root Starbound folder and it ought to give you some hints!

I have around 5 new ammo types for each weapon type planned off the top of my head - some will be repurposed from the Peglaci mod, some will be new. Really anything you can think of to add is worth adding, because more variety is always better. Even gimmicky worthless crap like shooting bubbles is fun to see sometimes.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 25, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That link is sort of broken. In that the ellipses is still an ellipses in the link.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

That link is sort of broken. In that the ellipses is still an ellipses in the link.

Uh yep you're right! That's weird!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9boupgm5i5irdu/TemplateGun.rar

I'll fix the other post too.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
https://www.dropbox.com/home/The%20Great%20Folder%20of%20Goon%20Mod%20Spergery/Tutorials

Maybe I'll get to work on some stuff this weekend too! Lab work has ramped up a bit, so my time during the week is more limited.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The nightlies have actually been pretty fun so far. Also, glad to see goons are still modding the game up!

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 26, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a dumb double poster

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

I think you're gonna have to use the "share link/get link" option, the link you gave only works for you and whoever you already shared this folder with.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hu31a6fw9m5gium/AADCA_JSmG8fubx4LIhq0Qk2a

Contact me on IRC and give me your email if you want to contribute

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
If any of you nerds wanna be considered for mod on the forums/steam/whatever pm me on here with a link to your profile and why you'll be better at the job than Brawww. For serious only thanks in advance.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dog kisser posted:

Pretty easy! Here's a template I made for someone earlier. (for guns, but it includes projectiles as part of it!)

Oh yeah, that was me...I wanted to see if I could make a glowstick gun and never actually started.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sledra posted:

If any of you nerds wanna be considered for mod on the forums/steam/whatever pm me on here with a link to your profile and why you'll be better at the job than Brawww. For serious only thanks in advance.

If only I had PMs... Nah, still not worth it.

E: Could we "apply" by IRC maybe?

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 27, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sledra posted:

What did Brawww ever do to deserve this !?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 28, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Got banned by Lowtax for sassin'.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That new mod on the CF forum is a jerk

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Shoehead posted:

That new mod on the CF forum is a muthafu-

SHUT YO' MOUTH

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So my buddies and I played Starbound way back when it was first in early-access (can't believe it's still not finished but that's irrelevant.)

We recently got back into since I just finished building a new computer and I still have the same issue with it that I had before. It just seems to take way too long to actually see any of the interesting stuff in the game. Compared to Terraria (which we also used to play a lot together) there isn't much of a sense of progression. The first time through we played for several days and were still using the lovely early-game stuff. It's just frustrating that it takes so long to get to the "good" part of the game.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong by playing it like Terraria and trying to craft all my equipment though. Who knows.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

PantsBandit posted:

So my buddies and I played Starbound way back when it was first in early-access (can't believe it's still not finished but that's irrelevant.)

We recently got back into since I just finished building a new computer and I still have the same issue with it that I had before. It just seems to take way too long to actually see any of the interesting stuff in the game. Compared to Terraria (which we also used to play a lot together) there isn't much of a sense of progression. The first time through we played for several days and were still using the lovely early-game stuff. It's just frustrating that it takes so long to get to the "good" part of the game.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong by playing it like Terraria and trying to craft all my equipment though. Who knows.

Nightlies add a new progression system. It's not in the stable/unstable release yet. As well, only tier 1 is done. Tier 2+ isn't finished yet.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
So is Unstable the most playable version to use now is is the regular version better to play?

I don't want to do nightly builds because I know they are buggy and crashy, but Unstable hasn't been updated in awhile is it still being updated?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

Got banned by Lowtax for sassin'.

Thats a shame, he seemed like an OK-guy on the Starbound forums :(

He only gave me a warning for telling some thread-starter something degrading. A class act in my book.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

Babe Magnet posted:

If only I had PMs... Nah, still not worth it.

E: Could we "apply" by IRC maybe?

Yeah hit me up whenever I'm around. (That's always, except right now)

Cheswick
Sep 7, 2005

Bitter Beard posted:

So is Unstable the most playable version to use now is is the regular version better to play?

I don't want to do nightly builds because I know they are buggy and crashy, but Unstable hasn't been updated in awhile is it still being updated?

Unstable won't be updated until the next big patch is close to ready. For now it's better to play the nightly builds if you want the authentic beta testing experience and to see new features, or stable if you're attached to your characters and worlds.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Have they given any sort of rough ETA on when the next big update is coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Nope. They've stopped giving out such things due to the community being horrible if things slip.

• Locked thread