Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wasn't it true that Epic was seriously trying to pursue a "sports" model for Unreal Tournament, with annual releases a la "Madden [year]" or whatever?

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah that's why there was a UT2013 and UT2014

According to Epic, the reason for the quick turn around between 2k3 and 2k4 was because 2k4 was actually supposed to just be another bonus pack for 2k3 until they realized they had so much poo poo in it that they could just sell it as a new product.

I think they were kicking around the idea of a yearly UT game back when the (then) new consoles and steam were gaining ground, the idea was to use ~*digital distribution*~ (remember that buzzword?) to help them accomplish this. Then Gears exploded (in a good way), and Midway exploded (in a bad way) and I guess they dropped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I could see yearly updates working, but only if you broke network compatibility rarely and had aggressive upgrade pricing within a 'generation'.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Keiya posted:

I could see yearly updates working, but only if you broke network compatibility rarely and had aggressive upgrade pricing within a 'generation'.

This reminded me that 2k4 was backwards compatible with 2k3, meaning that even though the online community was splintered, it was at least somewhat contained because at least 2k4 gods could come down to play with the 2k3 players and such on maps and mods that were compatible with both.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This reminded me that 2k4 was backwards compatible with 2k3, meaning that even though the online community was splintered, it was at least somewhat contained because at least 2k4 gods could come down to play with the 2k3 players and such on maps and mods that were compatible with both.

No it isn't. UT2k4's netcode is different enough from UT2k3's (mostly bc of adding vehicle support) that playing in UT2k3 servers is impossible in UT2k4. Even maps made in UT2k3 can be a bit iffy in UT2k4 if you don't properly port it beforehand.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They wanted the netcode to be similar enough that you could play together, but it never happened because of stuff like that. On the other hand, you can use most maps, models, and mutators in ut2k4 without major issues.

edit: Oh, I just noticed they had the Deck-17 from UT2k4 in the new game already.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 30, 2014

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know it's still early, but that footage really does look promising. I like how the map design seems to focus on smaller rooms with distinct architecture, rather than wide open areas with lots of random clutter that looks pretty but doesn't really serve any functional purpose. Of course, they'll be adding SOME clutter later, but it looks to me like these levels have a stronger skeleton than the ones in UT3. Unless the whole demo is actually just showing me Deck17 again and I'm not recognizing it. (I know there's one shot of Deck17 though; I'd recognize that slanted wall with a crate next to it anywhere!)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So what will be up to now, then? Facing Worlds LXXIV? :haw:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe they'll do ctf-face][ instead with the cool tech base theme. Ooh, or maybe gently caress with everyone and do the Egypt Face from 2003!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Or the oriental Facing Worlds from UT3.

Am I the only one who liked UT3?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Nah, I liked it a bunch too. It was different, but still fun.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I liked UT3 but I was unable to play it until after the Black pack dropped because if I tried to play any network mode it would instantly crash to desktop.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Bouchacha posted:

I messed around with soundfonts and found VirtualMIDISynth coupled with the SGM-V2.01 font to be a great replacement for any program that uses General Midi (including DOSbox and Zdoom). It sounds slightly different, which might be enough to be off-putting but I found it to be a general improvement. I only tested extensively by replaying through Tyrian (another early 90s midi gem) and that was amazing.

I used SGM for years, but I've recently been trying out Timbres of Heaven. It's pretty good. Here's a video comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p08Tp_zEnD0

Edit: Here's what Doom E1M1 sounds like with it. Make your choice.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 30, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I like UT3's vanilla game play way more than UT2k4's, but UT2k4 has much better mods.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I legit think it's better than 2K3 or 2K4, but its aesthetic seems designed to actively prevent people from enjoying it. It doesn't "feel" fun.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Why can't there be any good Quake source ports?

I love Engoo's "vanilla plus" approach to graphics, keeping true to the old DOS aesthetic while adding niceties, but it has no music support and hasn't been updated in over a year (plus it forgets resolution on every boot). Qbism is nice but it fucks up the music (and also likes to start in fullscreen 1024x768 before switching to my desired resolution for whatever reason). Quakespasm does music perfectly but doesn't have any of the good stuff about qbism or engoo.

Am I just too picky? Why can't there be Chocolate Quake? Am I going to have to relearn C and make my own goddamn port?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I liked Darkplaces, but I also haven't ever played original Quake ever so I don't know if it hosed anything up.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DirectQ was a great no-nonsense singleplayer port but development seems to have gone tits up now.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Quakespasm does music perfectly but doesn't have any of the good stuff about qbism or engoo.

What's the particular good stuff you're missing in QuakeSpasm?

If you mean those '"vanilla plus" graphics', setting gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR in QuakeSpasm makes things look pretty close to the old software renderer. I guess the water warp behavior is different but I can't think of any other major differences off the top of my head.

Edit: VVV OK I see. For 8-bit rendering, qbism Super8 is going to have to be your groove... I don't think any other Quake port will go in that direction. What problems are you having with Super8 and music? That's worked for me, at least in past builds.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 30, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

What's the particular good stuff you're missing in QuakeSpasm?

8-bit software rendering, 320x200 virtual resolution, stuff like that.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Why can't there be any good Quake source ports?

I love Engoo's "vanilla plus" approach to graphics, keeping true to the old DOS aesthetic while adding niceties, but it has no music support and hasn't been updated in over a year (plus it forgets resolution on every boot). Qbism is nice but it fucks up the music (and also likes to start in fullscreen 1024x768 before switching to my desired resolution for whatever reason). Quakespasm does music perfectly but doesn't have any of the good stuff about qbism or engoo.

Am I just too picky? Why can't there be Chocolate Quake? Am I going to have to relearn C and make my own goddamn port?

Get NQuake. It includes the ezquake launcher and a bunch of other poo poo you might want. Just loving do it! Set your graphics settings to faithful.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Man, if he doesn't like QuakeSpasm, he's REALLY not going to like ezQuake and particularly what nQuake does to it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

Man, if he doesn't like QuakeSpasm, he's REALLY not going to like ezQuake and particularly what nQuake does to it.

Only other option I can think of. You can play around with the numerous settings to get a very unenhanced feel. Then you can play online!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

closeted republican posted:

I like UT3's vanilla game play way more than UT2k4's, but UT2k4 has much better mods.

Definitely this. Mods, maps, and mutators are some of the big reasons I like UT, and any UT with a weak selection in these categories is no UT of mine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

I liked UT3 but I was unable to play it until after the Black pack dropped because if I tried to play any network mode it would instantly crash to desktop.

That's better than me, after the black patch dropped anytime during gameplay that a portal would be rendered it would just instantly bluescreen.
I haven't had a BSOD in forever, but UT3 does it every. time.
Its listed as a known bug and years later hasn't been addressed.

What the gently caress Epic?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Mods, maps, and mutators are some of the big reasons I like UT, and any UT with a weak selection in these categories is no UT of mine.

Honestly, mods, maps, and mutators are a quick way for any game to really skyrocket to the top. Having a sound base game is good, but when you add in user-made content then the lifespan of the game multiplies exponentially--there's simply so much more for people to do.

There's probably a miniscule chance, but I'm really hoping Doom 4 allows for some really good modding. After how...limited Doom 3's capabilities were, I'd love for Doom 4 to easily let people come out with some new maps/gameplay tweaks/adjustments/more.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

closeted republican posted:

Nyleve Falls and Chizra are great the second time playing, but something about the mines levels never clicked for me. I like the mines in RtNP way more than the one in default U1 for some reason.

Probably because they were super-generic and super-linear Mines, like nearly any other mine-based level in FPSes. (For the record, I wasn't too thrilled with Chizra for most of it, either.)

It's weird how they made the mines pretty in UT2004, though.

^ DooM 3 apparently lent itself well to mods, but as with every drat FPS out there, the problem is finding someone who doesn't prefer just dicking around in the more popular games.

I'm just hoping UT4 has a good Invasion mode.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TerminusEst13 posted:

There's probably a miniscule chance, but I'm really hoping Doom 4 allows for some really good modding. After how...limited Doom 3's capabilities were, I'd love for Doom 4 to easily let people come out with some new maps/gameplay tweaks/adjustments/more.
Seeing as Rage's tools were built under the assumption that the user had a render farm at hand and apparently didn't include an AI pathfinding compiler, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I always thought Doom 3 was fairly easy for modding. I mean hell, people recreated Hexen and Thief to some extent with the tools available. The level editor is all I had experience with and it was certainly easy to use.

The Kins posted:

Seeing as Rage's tools were built under the assumption that the user had a render farm at hand and apparently didn't include an AI pathfinding compiler, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Do we know if id Tech 6 is going to be using megatextures?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I always thought Doom 3 was fairly easy for modding. I mean hell, people recreated Hexen and Thief to some extent with the tools available. The level editor is all I had experience with and it was certainly easy to use.

Someone also made a pretty good Quake 1-style map and I think parts of Quake 2, and there's a pretty popular Thief-esque TC.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Commander Keenan posted:

I used SGM for years, but I've recently been trying out Timbres of Heaven. It's pretty good. Here's a video comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p08Tp_zEnD0

Edit: Here's what Doom E1M1 sounds like with it. Make your choice.
Personally, I've been using 8MBGMSFX.sf2 (with CT4MGM.sf2 as a fall back, for additional instruments on the extra banks) for like a decade now; so long, that it's hard for me to accept MIDIs sounding like anything else.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Honestly, modability has been going downhill for ages. Doom and UT99 are probably the most modable games still...

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yodzilla posted:

Do we know if id Tech 6 is going to be using megatextures?
That's one thing I would not mind dying an ignominious death. I was mildly interested in the new Wolfenstein but I'll be hosed if I'm downloading 50GB for a dumb game.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Linguica posted:

That's one thing I would not mind dying an ignominious death. I was mildly interested in the new Wolfenstein but I'll be hosed if I'm downloading 50GB for a dumb game.

Those are the things that appear super blurred like 3dfx Doom3 then slowly get better right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The problem with recommending MIDI soundfonts is that what everyone really wants is the nameless synth setup they had for 3 years as a kid. :v: (Luckily for me, that happens to be a legit SoundBlaster 16 and that's readily available)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Malek posted:

Those are the things that appear super blurred like 3dfx Doom3 then slowly get better right?

Yeah.

Thing is Megatexturing can be pretty cool, it lets artists work with a more or less unlimited texture budget, which also gives them tons of creative freedom in adding things down the line as a level improves. (Normally they have to kinda guess at the performance budget and design it accordingly, and then later they could go overbudget and have to tone things down or just have a bunch of cool new ideas they didn't think of before that now they have no room for) The real problem with megatexturing as we've seen so far is how badly it had to be hamstrung to run on a loving xbox 360. Trying to cache it all to disk and then stream it to RAM as needed, since the 360 has an anemic 512MB RAM, causes noticeable delay, so everything is blurry for a second when you first look at it. Not really worth it.

If you targeted only PC in your development you could do megatexturing and make it look great, but them's the breaks with game development and the modern industry. For games that target consoles though they should probably avoid it.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Wolfenstein is a great game, but it's in spite of idtech5.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've seen the texture streaming thing in Unreal Engine 3 games (all of them) too despite UE3 not having megatexturing. Unreal Tournament III was the first game I saw that had it. I don't understand why UE3 can't display textures immediately like every other engine ever. At least Id Tech 5 has megatexturing, what's UE3's excuse?

As for modding, the standards of fidelity in modern action games produce a huge barrier to entry for modders no matter how good the tools and support are. The '90s were the golden age of modding because the engines were technically simple and amateurs could produce high-quality content on their own, not because of wonderful mod tools and developer support (Wolfenstein probably has the largest number of custom levels of any FPS ever, and all of its modding tools, even modern ones, are terrible). A competent designer with a clear vision can make a vanilla no-frills Wolfenstein map in a couple of hours. For every advancement in technology in FPS games afterwards, the amount of human labor required to make anything increases exponentially.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
UE3 is optimized so that loading screens are minimized. Being able to play the game faster is seen as an acceptable tradeoff for momentary ugly graphics.

Not all UE3 games have texture pop-in. John Woo's Stranglehold actually doesn't suffer from it at all, despite being an early UE3 game.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Woolie Wool posted:

I don't understand why UE3 can't display textures immediately like every other engine ever. At least Id Tech 5 has megatexturing, what's UE3's excuse?

"Megatexture" is a gimmick name for a particular type of texture streaming, which a bunch of other engines (eg, UE3) also do. I honestly don't see the advantage it has for for end-users (as opposed to developers/artists).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Keiya posted:

They also got rid of a perfectly servicable justification for CTF - it's an event in a tournament where you shoot the gently caress out of people - and tried to justify it in war. I'm pretty sure they were trying to be funny, but it just came off as stupid.

No, you see, you're trying to capture the Field LAttice Generator which is the power supply for your enemy's respawn nodes. 100% serious here.