Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Shouldn't take any of that bullshit anyways IMO

If you're gonna go crazy might as well just go all out and take oxy elite pro

I took both out of curiosity and I could hear/feel every beat for every rep. Do not recommend unless you think yourself as a viking god training to smash heads with your bare hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
All you really need.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just open Pandora and start playing Necrophagist station.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Both are good ideas

So I weight myself after my post workout shake yestderday after doing some body weight stuff, and I was 229lbs

then ran 2.6 miles, couldn't feel anything from my calves down, weighed myself again and was 223lbs lol

#thinpriveldge

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Weighed in post-poop, post-workout at 197 lb. I'm rapidly getting to the point where it's just loving ridiculous. I'm only 5'6". Here's what I did today.

5 minutes on the bike to warm up.
Bench
2x10x135
6x175
5x205
2x5x225
5x230
5x5x235
3x8x185 (this was loving awful. I was so burnt out)

3x10 chin ups

180 lb farmers walks. did 6 of those. Each one is about 80 feet maybe longer. It's down and back a long hallway

5x12x120 lb kettlebell shrugs.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I need some good assistance stuff to go with the 5/3/1. I don't have any dumbells at home. I do have a dip station but nowhere I can do pull-ups. So basically I've been doing a lot of pushups, weighted situps, dips, weighted step-ups (using my flat bench).

I also need to work in some HIIT for cardio so I have some semblance of cardio capacity when PRT time draws near. I have a spin bike and a treadmill so I've mostly been cranking up the resistance on the spin bike and doing tabata intervals on it. I just want to be very careful about not overdoing it as one of the primary reasons I went to 5/3/1 is for recovery purposes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vulturesrow posted:

I need some good assistance stuff to go with the 5/3/1. I don't have any dumbells at home. I do have a dip station but nowhere I can do pull-ups. So basically I've been doing a lot of pushups, weighted situps, dips, weighted step-ups (using my flat bench).

I also need to work in some HIIT for cardio so I have some semblance of cardio capacity when PRT time draws near. I have a spin bike and a treadmill so I've mostly been cranking up the resistance on the spin bike and doing tabata intervals on it. I just want to be very careful about not overdoing it as one of the primary reasons I went to 5/3/1 is for recovery purposes.

I really like farmer's walks for this. I use kettle bells and dumb bells for them. Plates work too if they have the built-in handle or a good lip to hold onto. Do a shitload of those for 20 min with 1-3 minutes breaks in between.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

I need some good assistance stuff to go with the 5/3/1.

How many of you guys have experience with 5/3/1? I discovered it yesterday and it seems so easy to do that I can't believe it. It would go perfectly together with running and grappling, it doesn't seem time or energy consuming.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Any of you guys ever try Smolov for bench? My bench is so bad that I need to do some focusing on just that lift.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
did some conditioning today

20 minutes of stretching as a warmup

40x tire flips #300lb tire
3 min rest
30x kb swings 70#
3 min rest
20x power cleans 75#

5 min rest

6x 1-2 min rest between sets of
20yd sled sprint 135#
20yd farmer walk 2x 53# kbs
20yd jog

4 rds of
5x strict pullups
10x box dips
15x pushups
20x situps
3x shoulder modibilty drills
30 sec rest between rds

Going to hit up some intervals later in the evening

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

How many of you guys have experience with 5/3/1? I discovered it yesterday and it seems so easy to do that I can't believe it. It would go perfectly together with running and grappling, it doesn't seem time or energy consuming.

I've only been doing it a few weeks but part of the reason I went to it is because of the lesser volume and thus easier recovery. I won't say it's easy though, the key is that last set where you do as many reps as possible. If you honestly push that as hard as you can you will be spent. The assistance work is where you can really tailor the routine to what you are trying to achieve. Some days I do a lot, and some days I just skip it depending on how I'm feeling.

Ashmole posted:

Any of you guys ever try Smolov for bench? My bench is so bad that I need to do some focusing on just that lift.

Never done it myself but I've heard things about it. I've also heard that it is not something you want to use as a long term protocol but it is great for breaking through plateaus and such.

elite_garbage_man posted:

3x shoulder modibilty drills

What do you do for shoulder mobility? Its always an issue for me, in large part due to a rugby injury that was never really treated properly. I do some stuff I found on mobilitywod.com. I'm actually thinking about buying his book, do you have any experience with it?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

I've only been doing it a few weeks but part of the reason I went to it is because of the lesser volume and thus easier recovery. I won't say it's easy though, the key is that last set where you do as many reps as possible. If you honestly push that as hard as you can you will be spent. The assistance work is where you can really tailor the routine to what you are trying to achieve. Some days I do a lot, and some days I just skip it depending on how I'm feeling.

Mmm, thanks for the answer. I did the first session today, only squat and bench press. Felt funny to be done so quickly, but you're right about the last set, I think I maybe should have done more reps than I did. I have to remember it next time.

I didn't do any assistance work, I try to focus my energy on running and grappling. I'm after some decent basic strength, - 220 bench, 330 deadlift, 264 squat, everything after that is a plus - and it feels almost wrong to try tro achieve with a program like this. I have a habit of pushing myuself way too hard so "light work like this is foreign to me.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

What do you do for shoulder mobility? Its always an issue for me, in large part due to a rugby injury that was never really treated properly. I do some stuff I found on mobilitywod.com. I'm actually thinking about buying his book, do you have any experience with it?

I do internal and external rotations with a band or light dumbbells. As for the book, I haven't read it, but I do use his videos sometimes when aches and pains arise. I just don't see the point since he has a bazillion videos on youtube that cover the same stuff.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Started 5/3/1 today because I apparently like to jump around with programs. I like the whole couple lifts with accessory work thing so I might stick with this one. Anyone have a good spreadsheet for tracking?

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 29, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Started 5/3/1 today because I apparently like to jump around with programs. I like the whole couple lifts with accessory work thing so I might stick with this one. Anyone have a good spreadsheet for tracking?

I have one. Will send it when I'm done with class.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Farts if you have an Android the best app I've found is this one:

Wendlerized

Its not perfect but it's the one I like the best so far.

Holly, send me your spreadsheet, my SA name at geemale

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
holly bloop where you want to send that spreadsheet?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh, I'll send it this evening. Forgot.

pm your email

bloops fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 30, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I use a txt file on my android because I am boring as gently caress. I also do Starting strength instead of 5/3/1 because I am a weak little nerd. Here are my working sets:

Workout A:
Squats - 170
Press - 90 (lol)
Deadlift - 165
Pull/Chinups: Try to do a few unassisted, then do 2x5 sets assisted. (LOL)

Workout B:
Squats - 170
Bench Press - 130
Deadlift - 165
Dips - 5 assisted then 5 unassisted

But before those I do my warm-up:
Empty bar (45) - 2x5 reps
-30 lbs - 5 reps
-20 lbs - 5 reps
-10 lbs - 5 reps
Working set - 3x5 reps

Hopefully by next week I will get confident enough to substitute Power Cleans instead of deadlifts in workout B. Also joining a BJJ/Wrestling class for cardio because running is for faggots.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Use evernote and fill in your poo poo on pc and then just sync it

strong is a pretty great simple no frills workout app

A lot of people do SS before 5/3/1. Seems pretty standard.

Deadlift should loving shoot past squats real quick.

Wait why are you doing deadlifts both workouts? Are you doing 1x5? I never did power cleans because I was never properly coached on form and always did penlday rows

There's a lot of web based SS warm-up sites I spent like $3 on a app for it though.

Did you read the thread in YLLS 10x over and watch 3 hours of youtube videos on proper technique/form?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yes I am doing 1x5 on deadlifts. I have read that thread, seen videos and own that book on kindle so I always refer to it when I have questions about my form and poo poo.

But my worst form is not my deadlift, is my squats. I can get the bat to be tight as gently caress, but not low enough and my shoulders hurt like a motherfucker after doing all those squats. But once I actually get everything in position I can do proper squats, its just a gigantic pain in the rear end to set up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So you are doing deadlifts both workouts?

I wouldn't do power cleans unless you had someone show you unless you already know. Give pendlay rows a try. The form is a bit weird at first but there's some good instructional videos online. I think at my peak I was doing 240 lbs or so 3x5. Slamming weights pissing people off.

This has been linked a couple times in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao

Your shoulders shouldn't by hurting. Do you have flexibility issues or a previous injury? A lot of people tend to flare their elbows out. You'll want all your fingers including your thumb going over the top of the bar. Which I think is the preferred method. Poking around online it seems people do both. It just helps me because you don't want to grip the bar like bench press or something and be pulling your shoulders forward

I've always had the bar fairly high but that's because I got sick traps that make a nice resting spot for the bar to lay perfectly

I made an effort post a while ago in this thread about my squat tips as a armchair fitness professional

Christoff posted:

I don't get the middle part of that bar. You should NEVER squat with any kind of paddding/support. Or any kind of machine. Always free weight barbell.

Doing squats sucks and it's hard to get the technique down. You're absolutely miserable during the set and almost pass out when you're done. But obviously once you get past that you feel amazing. Watch some youtube videos of people doing it PROPERLY.

Here's just a couple tips to keep in mind while squatting. Seriously, run some of these through your head and you'll literally feel the difference instantly.

*Feet roughly shoulder width apart
*Toes pointed just slightly outward
*DO NOT LOOK UP. Common mistake. Always look straight
*Back flat
*Drive your hips forward. This is probably the most important thing in squatting.
*Imagine your standing on a towell and while driving up you're trying to rip the towell in half with your feet
*Don't flare your elbows out
*Keep your breathing in mind. Once you get your breaths backwards it'll really mess yo up. (in on the way down, out on the way up)
*Go loving deep. ATG all that poo poo. You want to touch your hamstrings to your calves. Or as deep as you can. None of this "stop at parellel". (note a lot of people will probably disagree with this, go google for yourself)
*Do not bounce up
*imaging your squatting to take a poo poo out in the woods. Butt way down. I've been told your knee cap shouldn't go past your toes when squatting but I've also heard that it doesn't matter. Not 100% sure.

oh and this

and lastly you should be squatting barefoot (Arnold lifted barefoot y'know!)or with minimal type shoes (vibrams, converse) but that's just my imo go get those $200 crossfit reeboks if you want

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 30, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yes I am doing deadlifts on both workout. I did dislocate my shoulder last year, its not painful its just not as flexible as it used to be.

Edit: I do have a pair of minimus and vibram shoes I lift with. The minimus are getting torn apart and the vibrams are the toe shoes so I may buy new shoes in a couple of months.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 30, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love my vibrams :shrug: gently caress the haters

I got these for running on rough terrain. Imagine they'd be good for lifting

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Trail-Glove-Running-Black/dp/B00D1GXN72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406696162&sr=8-1&keywords=merrell+trail+glove

You should warm up and do some shoulder stretching. Look into dynamic shoulder stretches as part of your warmup (you should generally do a 3-5 minute warmup before SS. Something like biking)

Also get a lacrosse ball or something like these 2 items to hit those tough spots in your shoulder and break up that fascia

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Company-10100000003-Buddy/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406696304&sr=8-2&keywords=thera+cane

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Knobble-Massager-Stimulator/dp/B000NWBKIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406696316&sr=8-1&keywords=knobble

lastly stop doing deadlifts both workouts

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

It's there any reason why I should not do deadlifts on both workouts? With the exception of the dips and pullups I'm doing what is described described as the novice workout in the SS book.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Because you're not doing the program. It's written a certain way for a reason.

That aside I'm assuming you're just starting out and fairly new to lifting. Deadlifts are pretty taxing on your body and you're already doing a poo poo ton of squats anyways. Need time to recover so you can properly add weight every workout which is the point of the program.

I haven't read the SS book personally so maybe it is a variation of the program and I'm wrong

Just do pendlay rows, cleans, or bent over rows dude. What's the point in waiting?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Pretty good stuff Christoff, a few points I disagree on:

Shoes - Barefoot is better than crosstrainers but a good lifting shoe will do wonders for squats. Getting a pair helped my squat form immensely.

Breathing - You should be inhaling and holding it all the way through the rep. It helps keep your abdomen tight.

Bouncing - You actually want a little bounce out of the hole. You are taking advantage of the eccentric contraction of the hamstrings. You don't want be out of control with it but you should be coming out of the hole faster and with no pause. (this is specific to the low bar squat. There is no real bounce in a high bar squat)

Knees over toes thing - It _can_ be an indicator of bad form (weight shifting forward instead of staying over the mid-foot) but for most people, myself include, its just function of their anthropometry. In order to keep the bar centered over the mid-foot some people, i.e. those with relatively long legs are going have their knee travel further forward. In general, not a big deal.

Depth - ATG is is great if you can achieve it. Parallel is perfectly acceptable but the problem is what feels like parallel to inexperienced lifters is actually somewhat above parallel. The illustration you posted shows what parallel should look like (thats from Starting Strength isn't it).

Grip - Good tip about not flaring the elbows out. But you do want to push your elbows up as high as you can.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah yeah sorry it's an older post. Didn't know the glory of the valsalva manuever yet

Yeah I know you want the explosion out of the hole I think it was more in reference to people doing light weight/high reps

What exactly is a lifting shoe? I mean, what's different about them? I assume it helps with balance issues and people leaning too far back? Is that why people put 2.5 lb plates under their heels as the poor man option?

I was always under the impression parallel was bad for knees because it keeps the tension and you don't unload all that stress from the extra weight. I mean obviously in competitions and poo poo they're only going to parallel because that's all they have to do for it to count.

I believe that picture is from SS. It seems in Rippetoes videos he never really advocates a full ATG and it's like that photo where it's just below parallel. Just google around and come to your own conclusion on that I guess.

And lastly I said you should always look straight. Which is better than looking up. But last I remember reading you should just look at the ground a couple feet in front of you because most gyms will have a mirror and that ends up distracting you too much?

How do you grib the bar? Thumbs on same side as fingers or?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 30, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

Ah yeah sorry it's an older post. Didn't know the glory of the valsalva manuever yet

Yeah I know you want the explosion out of the hole I think it was more in reference to people doing light weight/high reps

What exactly is a lifting shoe? I mean, what's different about them? I assume it helps with balance issues and people leaning too far back? Is that why people put 2.5 lb plates under their heels as the poor man option?

I was always under the impression parallel was bad for knees because it keeps the tension and you don't unload all that stress from the extra weight. I mean obviously in competitions and poo poo they're only going to parallel because that's all they have to do for it to count.

I believe that picture is from SS. It seems in Rippetoes videos he never really advocates a full ATG and it's like that photo where it's just below parallel. Just google around and come to your own conclusion on that I guess.

The lifting shoe has a couple things going for it. The sole is a little wider and non-compressible, they have a strap that helps keep your foot stable, and the heel is elevated. You are right about people who put weights under their heels. The heel lift helps by allowing more knee flexion which in turn more fully recruits your quads. Heel lift also helps people with poor ankle flexibility.

These are the ones I have: Adidas Powerlift. I seriously felt a lot better squatting when I went from Chucks to the lifting shoe.

The thing about going to parallel stems from the confusion of what parallel actually is. If you do it properly your legs go through the full range of motion. If you stop just short of parallel you get the situation you are describing.

I believe Starting Strength advocates looking at a point about approximately 6 feet in front of you on the ground and that is what I try to do. This helps keep your head in line with your back angle. You are right that looking up is terrible and I do try not to squat facing the mirror if I can avoid because it can be distracting.

I grip the same way you described for all the reasons you mentioned. I've tried a full grip and I don't like it because it seems to make me want to push up on the bar instead of holding it tight to my back.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 30, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

Because you're not doing the program. It's written a certain way for a reason.

That aside I'm assuming you're just starting out and fairly new to lifting. Deadlifts are pretty taxing on your body and you're already doing a poo poo ton of squats anyways. Need time to recover so you can properly add weight every workout which is the point of the program.

I haven't read the SS book personally so maybe it is a variation of the program and I'm wrong

Just do pendlay rows, cleans, or bent over rows dude. What's the point in waiting?

Its not my first time doing weightlifting or (when I am at a gym with the proper equipment) SS. When I started weightlifting more seriously/SS I was alternating between deadlifting and bent-over rows. But now that I can consistently go to a gym with the proper equipment to do SS and I feel comfortable, I like to do deadlifts on every workout.

Also the "rank novice" workout as per the SS book is as follows:

A
Squats
Press
Deadlift

B
Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

So yeah the SS book wants you to deadlift on every workout.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ElMaligno posted:

Its not my first time doing weightlifting or (when I am at a gym with the proper equipment) SS. When I started weightlifting more seriously/SS I was alternating between deadlifting and bent-over rows. But now that I can consistently go to a gym with the proper equipment to do SS and I feel comfortable, I like to do deadlifts on every workout.

A
Squats
Press
Deadlift

B
Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

yeah, you deadlift until you get the hang of it, and then you replace it on one of the days with power clean.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Deadlifting takes like years to get the hang of. It's such a complex lift for what's essentially "pick something up and stand".

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

A
Squats
Press
Deadlift

B
Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

Are you sure? I just looked through the book and didn't see that. Which edition are you looking at? Deadlifting every workout is not sustainable long term and it's not really a good idea. It is the most taxing of the lifts and doing it every workout is definitely going to compromise your ability to progress.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Deadlifting takes like years to get the hang of. It's such a complex lift for what's essentially "pick something up and stand".

Meh, deadlifting is pretty easy for the most part in my opinion. I think squats are much harder to learn to do correctly.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
They're both equally difficult. Squatting is far more frustrating to me, though. Deadlifting is something I really enjoy doing, which is odd because I probably have a frame better suited for squatting. My 1 rep max shot to the mid-400's on deadlifting within about a year and a half. I've never been able to squat more than 330-ish though.

Soeaking of, I took 2 months off from squatting. I picked it up again today. Gonna keep the weights low for a while as I just build up a base again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Deadlifting every lift day is only meant for the first 4-5 weeks, the you swap 1 out for power cleans iirc.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

They're both equally difficult. Squatting is far more frustrating to me, though. Deadlifting is something I really enjoy doing, which is odd because I probably have a frame better suited for squatting. My 1 rep max shot to the mid-400's on deadlifting within about a year and a half. I've never been able to squat more than 330-ish though.

Soeaking of, I took 2 months off from squatting. I picked it up again today. Gonna keep the weights low for a while as I just build up a base again.

What in particular do you think is complex about the deadlift?

As far your squatting goes, you should be able to ramp up pretty quickly once you get comfortable with them again. Sort of funny though, I'm the exact opposite of you. My frame is probably better suited to deadlifting but I actually enjoy squats more. I still do enjoy deadlifting, mostly because when you do a heavy set you really feel like you did something.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Muscle recruitment, basically. Deadlifting requires essentially every backside muscle group to fire in a sequence. Even a small miscue like setting up improperly can lead to missing a rep. I'm talking about this in reference to pulling near max weights. Any guy or girl can pull a lower weight with some slop. Approaching a near max rep pretty much demands near perfection from set up to lock out.

Really though that's what I love about powerlifting. On the surface, it looks like such a meathead sport, but the guys who are good at it can break down a few seconds of movement to some really minute detail. Like I can discuss the simple act of setting up the bar for a while because, in my opinion, that's where the lift is made. Powerlifting is quite appealing to my autism.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Muscle recruitment, basically. Deadlifting requires essentially every backside muscle group to fire in a sequence. Even a small miscue like setting up improperly can lead to missing a rep. I'm talking about this in reference to pulling near max weights. Any guy or girl can pull a lower weight with some slop. Approaching a near max rep pretty much demands near perfection from set up to lock out.

Really though that's what I love about powerlifting. On the surface, it looks like such a meathead sport, but the guys who are good at it can break down a few seconds of movement to some really minute detail. Like I can discuss the simple act of setting up the bar for a while because, in my opinion, that's where the lift is made. Powerlifting is quite appealing to my autism.

I think our disagreement is essentially semantic then. Not executing it with proper technique definitely makes a difference, but I don't think knowing what the technique and being able to achieve it is that hard. That has to do with exactly what you said, that its all about the setup. You aren't doing under tension or while you're moving and the movement itself is pretty simple. Squats on the other hand having a whole of different parts that all affect what is going on with the lift and you're having to maintain it throughout the movement. Having worked with other people, I've found it much more difficult to teach a proper squat vice a proper deadlift. The actual deadlift movement is pretty intuitive. The squat seems intuitive but it's not. Oh by the way, I'm speaking solely about the low bar squat. The high bar is much simpler actually and it's pretty much "sit down, stand up." Amazing how much difference a couple inches difference in bar position makes. Autism indeed. :spergin:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

vulturesrow posted:

Are you sure? I just looked through the book and didn't see that. Which edition are you looking at? Deadlifting every workout is not sustainable long term and it's not really a good idea. It is the most taxing of the lifts and doing it every workout is definitely going to compromise your ability to progress.

3rd edition, Chapter 8, under "Workout order"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vulturesrow posted:

I think our disagreement is essentially semantic then. Not executing it with proper technique definitely makes a difference, but I don't think knowing what the technique and being able to achieve it is that hard. That has to do with exactly what you said, that its all about the setup. You aren't doing under tension or while you're moving and the movement itself is pretty simple. Squats on the other hand having a whole of different parts that all affect what is going on with the lift and you're having to maintain it throughout the movement. Having worked with other people, I've found it much more difficult to teach a proper squat vice a proper deadlift. The actual deadlift movement is pretty intuitive. The squat seems intuitive but it's not. Oh by the way, I'm speaking solely about the low bar squat. The high bar is much simpler actually and it's pretty much "sit down, stand up." Amazing how much difference a couple inches difference in bar position makes. Autism indeed. :spergin:

Yea, it's all splitting hairs. I'd much rather go for a max pull than a squat. A 300 something pound barbell on my back is like a big "haha gently caress you." It's a constant reminder that yea you gotta squat down and then go right back up with this bitch. A deadlift has that initial pull and the, "lol it's not moving" anxiety. The bench press is fun because the risk of atomizing your sternum is ever present.