Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Sprite was a pro bath-taker. Nugget really wants to take a bath but all she ever ends up doing is stomping her feet around in the water dish. She loves getting sprayed with the mister though :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFvtFaKn8Y0

Ozzy refuses to take baths in anything but his water dish.

edit: Found an old video of Nugget doing the rain dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLCm0kyf_fY

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Hi bird crazies,

I want to post in this thread and have cool cute bird friends. Me and my partner have a sun conure named Taco. Here he is just before we got him, at about 12 weeks old:

and here he is last week, at just under a year old:

Recently he's been a bit bitier than normal and I don't know if it's onset of bird puberty or just punishment for me going away for two weeks, but he's still a sweetheart and we love him. He makes kissing noises and mumbles to himself, and likes keyboards and shredding everything in sight.

Also, for those of you who enjoy bird-art, I picked up an awesome print today:

The artist had a whole range of parrots (including a super cute cockatiel) but she doesn't seem to have them on her Etsy yet. The link is here for interested parties though: https://www.etsy.com/shop/56dollarsforbeancake

Let's be bird friends!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Goddamnit guys quit making me want a conure. I have too many pets as is. :argh:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Everyday Goast posted:

and here he is last week, at just under a year old:

Recently he's been a bit bitier than normal and I don't know if it's onset of bird puberty or just punishment for me going away for two weeks, but he's still a sweetheart and we love him. He makes kissing noises and mumbles to himself, and likes keyboards and shredding everything in sight.

Yup, bird puberty! Otherwise he seems like an excellent little pinata :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my god :kimchi:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

:kimchi: the potatoest sun conure

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It took me an embarassingly long time to realise that this was filmed sideways. All I could think before is that the guy must have insane pain tolerance to be able to bear having a cockatoo hanging out of his bare leg. :downs:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This seems like a good way to lose a couple bits of flesh.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

The retarded cockatoo claw never gets old. So expressive, and actually quite dexterous, but when it's trying to grasp nothing that's the height of comedy.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is there a particular age when cockatiels enter potato mode? Mine are all 3-4 years old so they're still pretty young and they're not lethargic but their ambitions seem to be limited to hanging out on top the cage, hitting me up for scritches, and "foraging" on top of the bookshelf these days.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hannah's new favorite spot.

Notice the "GTFO" look. He gets very defensive if someone bugs him when he's in the bathroom.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If your bird gets super territorial about certain places or items how do you deal with it? My cockatiel has a few trouble locations/toys that I deal with by just not letting him have them/be there or by just accepting his impotent cockatiel rage. A cockatiel trying to viciously attack my shoe is bad behavior but not exactly threatening, a larger bird like that though? Seems a different story.

Whats the best way to deal with it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Notice the "GTFO" look. He gets very defensive if someone bugs him when he's in the bathroom.

Were his eyes pinning like he was having an epileptic fit? Our store had a grey who was so sweet 99% of the time but when the eyes started pinning you knew to get the gently caress out.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

Pookie used to be like that about the space under the upper part of the kitchen dresser, until she was driven out by the Scary Brush, which now lives in her old hideyhole. Her new obsession is the narrow gap between the oven and the dishwasher. She's totally convinced that this gap is a perfect nest site and gets really poofy and aggressive if she's let sit on the floor near it for any length of time.

This place has also been forbidden since she started pouncing on the poor old blind and deaf dog who occasionally made the mistake of walking past her when she was on guard duty.

Now she's determined to stuff herself into the paper drawer on the front of the printer. I'm beginning to think she does not have a very good sense of scale.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'm worried about Tokyo's hand taming. She was super good about stepping up, sitting on my hand, chilling on my shoulder etc. But then I got Fuji, who, while she's very calm and doesn't mind being picked up, is not hand tamed. She doesn't know how to step up and she seems a bit worried when I do put my hands in the cage, even if it's to give treats. Now Tokyo seems more skittish about hands, too. She'll still step up, but she's no longer content to sit on ym hand or shoulder, and jumps off almost immediately. I'm worried that she's regressed.

Anyone have advice on how to hand tame two budgies at the same time? I want my cuddle bird back. :(

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Is there a particular age when cockatiels enter potato mode? Mine are all 3-4 years old so they're still pretty young and they're not lethargic but their ambitions seem to be limited to hanging out on top the cage, hitting me up for scritches, and "foraging" on top of the bookshelf these days.

From my experience, no; potato mode is determined almost solely by the bird's personality. Some 'tiels are just natural stoners. The male at my parents' joint was always chill as gently caress when he was younger, but his older male companion died and my parents got him a younger female companion, right around what must be solid 'tiel middle age. That perked him right the hell up and he's stayed that way. He's currently reaching hugh hefner levels of age and debauchery/cuddles but unlike hefner it doesn't come across as a mostly pathetic show.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pearl's current obsession is being inside of the kitchen cabinets, behind the recycling bin, which she gets to by opening the cabinet door, climbing onto the garbage bin, and spelunking off of it into the darkness. It's really troublesome to keep retrieving her-- I need those child protective locks. I almost preferred when she was in the bathroom because it was easier to see what she was doing.

Pookie has the Scary Brush, Pearl has The Mitt, which is basically any oven mitt that I use to pick her up. She actually steps up politely sometimes, even in her dark cubbyhole, if I threaten The Mitt will come.

Pearl is actually pretty predictable when it comes to defensive behaviors. The cubbyhole is troublesome because I can't tower over her very well, but if she is out in the open and defensive, leaning slightly above her, touching her side lightly with one hand, and confidently pushing the other under her feet will usually do the trick. The confidence is important-- she's bitten me when coming out of her cage before since she sensed I was pulling away from her. Usually if she is going after feet, the same sort of attitude will fix the problem-- leaning over her slightly, facing her, saying her name, all tend to remind her she is not the "top bird."

However, one time she flew from the bathroom into the kitchen, landed on my foot and bit me as her claws latched on. I hate to say I was a little proud, secretly-- she's pretty good as an attack bird. I still yelled at her for it, of course.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Sociopastry posted:

I'm worried about Tokyo's hand taming. She was super good about stepping up, sitting on my hand, chilling on my shoulder etc. But then I got Fuji, who, while she's very calm and doesn't mind being picked up, is not hand tamed. She doesn't know how to step up and she seems a bit worried when I do put my hands in the cage, even if it's to give treats. Now Tokyo seems more skittish about hands, too. She'll still step up, but she's no longer content to sit on ym hand or shoulder, and jumps off almost immediately. I'm worried that she's regressed.

Anyone have advice on how to hand tame two budgies at the same time? I want my cuddle bird back. :(

Well, I've only had a conure, but it seems reasonable from a bird point of view that both birds would sort of approach the average attitude of the cage with regards to anything scary. You probably just have to work hard on both of them; for Fuji, it's getting her to hand tame, and for Tokyo, it's preventing further backsliding. Work on one outside the cage at a time playing the stairway to heaven game and giving lots of treats, and let the other watch to see that it's not so bad?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Potatoing on my shoulder is kinda tough when my headphones are on, but he makes do.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I got to meet Alexis and Auri today :kimchi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
More photos of Taco the Wonderbird:

This is I think on the day after he came home with Everyday Goast and I, still a bit nervous around us, eating a bit of egg

A few months later after he had settled into his new home, being a total poser for the camera

And a nice shot from only a week or two ago, which shows his nice new adult colours coming in quite nicely

bonus photo: hail hydra

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

More photos of Taco the Wonderbird:

This is I think on the day after he came home with Everyday Goast and I, still a bit nervous around us, eating a bit of egg

A few months later after he had settled into his new home, being a total poser for the camera

And a nice shot from only a week or two ago, which shows his nice new adult colours coming in quite nicely

bonus photo: hail hydra

This may be blasphemy but I think the mostly green juvie sun conures are much better looking than the adults.

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

You can get Jenday Conures as well, which retain the green wings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jandaya_parakeet

A conure for every occasions!

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Wizard of Smart posted:

I got to meet Alexis and Auri today :kimchi:

You're in Seattle? It's a shame I'm out of the country, I would have said hi myself!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lenswork posted:

You're in Seattle? It's a shame I'm out of the country, I would have said hi myself!

Yep, he's in Seattle for the week so we meet up and hung out with the birds until bedtime. :)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
How hard is it to find non-hand-raised budgies that care about people? There are no hand-fed budgies anywhere in my area and there won't be for a very long time. All I have are pet store (some speciality bird store) budgies by the dozen. Everytime I have seen someone get one of these birds they seem so drat scared of humans. I want a budgie but I don't want it to hate me. Everyone who has gotten one has always said "Don't worry, it will get used to me and soon love me." But it literally never happens no matter how much coaxing or bonding they try. I am just poo poo out of luck unless I can get hand-fed?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

This may be blasphemy but I think the mostly green juvie sun conures are much better looking than the adults.

I agree, we're happy that after 3 years Ritz hasn't turned completely yellow. He's got a nice mottled green/yellow combo.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

How hard is it to find non-hand-raised budgies that care about people? There are no hand-fed budgies anywhere in my area and there won't be for a very long time. All I have are pet store (some speciality bird store) budgies by the dozen. Everytime I have seen someone get one of these birds they seem so drat scared of humans. I want a budgie but I don't want it to hate me. Everyone who has gotten one has always said "Don't worry, it will get used to me and soon love me." But it literally never happens no matter how much coaxing or bonding they try. I am just poo poo out of luck unless I can get hand-fed?

No, you're not! Tokyo was a pet shop budgie and loving hated hands/people when I first got her. Now she'll sit in my hands, eat millet from my fingers, and as long as Fuji is nearby, chill out on my shoulder. You just need patience. (and treats. lots and lots of treats.)

Basically,when I first got Tokes, I sat outside her cage for an hour every day, reading to her so she'd get used to my voice. Then, at the end of the hour, I'd spend 15 minutes giving her goodies and making sure she knew my hands=food. Then she started stepping up and everything's awesome now~

I figured out what Tokyo's problem is, btw, when it comes to hand training. She's too in love with Fuji. If Fuji's out of her sight she freaks until she can see her again. Hand training is now done with one bird on the shoulder and the other on hand.

edit: was typing on my phone, sorry. :(

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 30, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Sociopastry posted:

No, you're not! Tokyo was a pet shop budgie and loving hated hands/people when I first got her. Now she'll sit in my hands, eat millet from my fingers, and as long as Fuji is nearby, chill out on my shoulder. You just need patience. (and treats. lots and lots of treats.)

Basically,when I first got Tokes, I sat outside her cage for an hour every day, reading to her so she'd get used to my voice. Then, at the end of the hour, I'd spend 15 minutes giving her goodies and making sure she knew my hands=food. Then she started stepping up and everything's awesome now~

I figured out what Tokyo's problem is, btw, when it comes to hand training. She's too in love with Fuji. If Fuji's out of her sight she freaks until she can see her again. Hand training is now done with one bird on the shoulder and the other on hand.

edit: was typing on my phone, sorry. :(

Sounds great, thanks so much! Does it make much of a different between boys and girls, what I mean is, will a boy be more comfortable around human hands than a girl on average? Or does this have no bearing on it at all?

Vogelspinne
Dec 16, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Sounds great, thanks so much! Does it make much of a different between boys and girls, what I mean is, will a boy be more comfortable around human hands than a girl on average? Or does this have no bearing on it at all?

Female birds tend to be more territorial and moody than males but they're just as tamable. You just have to learn to read their body language to make sure you aren't agitating them though that applies to every bird. If given the choice I'd say go for a male but if you end up with a female she'll still make a great pet with time/effort.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Tokyo's a lady, and while she's pretty schreechy if she doesn't like something that's happening, she's totally a snuggle bug if she's content. Fuji (as far as I know for now) is also a lady, and by contrast she's completely mellow pretty much all the time. She never screeches and is completely fine with me checking out her legs/wings on weekly bird check day. They have way different personalities. If you do want to get a pet shop budgie, take the time to watch them while they're in the cage so you can see how they act around other birds and how they react to people being close to the cage. Tokyo was a naughty little thing and that's why I picked her. Fuji was mellow as gently caress and that's why I picked her.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

That's pretty good criteria to go by. We picked Leeloo because she was in the middle of the temperaments her hatchmates showed. There were two turquoise ones that were bitey as gently caress and learning that rude=letsrunthishitintotheground, and two that weren't scared really but flew away when you wanted them to step up. Then there was our lil 'Loo in the center of the madness all "pick me up? Eh I guess I could sit here." :3:

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
It's Mindo's bird-day! He turned two with a special cut of pear.

Yes, the Jackson Pollack splatter on the tarp behind his bowl is normal.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It looks like some cherries and oranges exploded over the wall. Put up some paper or a canvas on the wall and make some artwork out of it, haha.

Happy Birthday (hatchday?) Mindo!

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I have a green-cheeked conure, Bibi, and aside from her usual insanity I've got two issues I'm boggled on.

-#1 She's absolutely terrified of purple, particularly shades of violet. We had another green cheek before he passed away who also lived in mortal fear of our purple Swiffer. So far an exercise ball, a chair mat, the same Swiffer, and a jug of wiper fluid from through the window outside have all made her shriek in fear until line of sight was broken. Other shades of purple, or clothing, she has no problem with as far as I can tell. I thought maybe I could train her out of it, and had her stand on the purple exercise ball and if she didn't yell she got a treat, but after five minutes of this my girlfriend told me to stop and let her rest, and the poor little thing didn't leave its cage for hours. She's barely a year old. Can you 'train' a bird out of this or is this going to be a lifelong phobia?

(Does violet just look hella wicked in the UV spectrum?)

-#2 She doesn't understand how to use a hammock. We got her a little blue hanging tent that's all soft and fuzzy inside, but instead of sleeping in it she perches on it and sleeps there. She loves to rest in hands, she just won't lay down on her own. I was thinking of getting her something hand-ish, like a coconut half, to sleep in and see if she likes that more?

Birds are so weird dudes

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 31, 2014

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

For the second, if that's how she likes to sleep why not? Lots of people have the tents for their birds but I prefer not to give them to mine to minimise the risk of hormonal behaviours. She's still young so wouldn't be showing them much yet, but it's something to keep in mind. Coconut shell could be fine though, or a shelf perch maybe?

For the first, it doesn't have to be a lifelong thing. She might suddenly decide one day there's no further issues, because BIRDS, but maybe you could find some purple things that are okay and put them in line of sight for a few days, and gradually change the items for shades closer and closer to what she hates so she maybe gets used to it? Is it definitely the colour and not something about the items themselves? If you had a sheet of paper that colour would she freak out?

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Kasonic posted:

I have a green-cheeked conure, Bibi, and aside from her usual insanity I've got two issues I'm boggled on.

-#1 She's absolutely terrified of purple, particularly shades of violet. We had another green cheek before he passed away who also lived in mortal fear of our purple Swiffer. So far an exercise ball, the same Swiffer, and a jug of wiper fluid from through the window outside have all made her shriek in fear until line of sight was broken. Other shades of purple, or clothing, she has no problem with as far as I can tell. I thought maybe I could train her out of it, and had her stand on the purple exercise ball and if she didn't yell she got a treat, but after five minutes of this my girlfriend told me to stop and let her rest, and the poor little thing didn't leave its cage for hours.

Birds are so weird dudes

Yes, yes birds are weird. I can't speak much for the hammock, but when it comes to purple things, you took training way, way too quickly. If she is that terrified of the exercise ball, you have to start about ten steps behind where you started. If the sight of it is enough to scare her, start with basic clicker training.

Leave the ball in her sight for a few seconds, then click, and remove the ball from the line of sight. Just having the ball leave her sight is a reward in itself. Don't start with more than 3-5 repetitions in a session.
Once she can stand the sight of the ball, move it a little closer, just before she becomes scared of it. Then click and remove the ball. Get closer over time.
The time for foods based treats is when she can be physically next to the ball, and you see her calm down. Once you see her physically calm down, click and treat.

Take it slow, but push her limits just enough that she makes progress.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Kasonic posted:

-#1 She's absolutely terrified of purple, particularly shades of violet. We had another green cheek before he passed away who also lived in mortal fear of our purple Swiffer. So far an exercise ball, the same Swiffer, and a jug of wiper fluid from through the window outside have all made her shriek in fear until line of sight was broken. Other shades of purple, or clothing, she has no problem with as far as I can tell. I thought maybe I could train her out of it, and had her stand on the purple exercise ball and if she didn't yell she got a treat, but after five minutes of this my girlfriend told me to stop and let her rest, and the poor little thing didn't leave its cage for hours. She's barely a year old. Can you 'train' a bird out of this or is this going to be a lifelong phobia?

(Does violet just look hella wicked in the UV spectrum?)

-#2 She doesn't understand how to use a hammock. We got her a little blue hanging tent that's all soft and fuzzy inside, but instead of sleeping in it she perches on it and sleeps there. She loves to rest in hands, she just won't lay down on her own. I was thinking of getting her something hand-ish, like a coconut half, to sleep in and see if she likes that more?

Birds are so weird dudes

1. Purple is not particularly terrifying to birds. Your approach was correct, but takes time and many repetitions. 5-10 minute sessions are about the correct length, but there's no telling how many sessions it will take to break the phobia.

2. You actually may not want to give her nesting sites, unless you want her laying eggs for some reason. Birds are fine sleeping upright on perches, and that's what they do in the wild except when nesting. Some birds are indeed hammock-tarded (mine really hates them) but that's just the luck of the draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I used to have a particular pair of pajamas that Fred absolutely HATED. They were Muppets pajamas with Animal on them, and any time I put them on he would absolutely lose his mind until I took them off. I had to wear a pair of duckhunt pajamas with a giant rip on them because he absolutely would not chill, but there you have it.