Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Grendels Dad posted:

And in the same post I qualified why, because the basic statement being made to me seemed to be "movies from today don't look like movies from the 70's" and I didn't find that terribly exciting.

I guess I don't understand what the hell you're still doing? Like, someone asked for examples that matched this art:

People gave examples. You asked for recent ones. People gave examples. What else are you complaining about?

Grendels Dad posted:

Also: lol, if that counts as dismissive then SMG has rarely ever not reacted dismissively to other people's reactions to his posts.

What do I care about SMG? I'm talking about what you're posting. It's confusing.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LesterGroans posted:

People gave examples. You asked for recent one. People gave examples. What else are you complaining about?

I'm not complaining about anything and it's kind of frustrating that people act like I am, so I guess I'll just stop.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm not complaining about anything and it's kind of frustrating that people act like I am, so I guess I'll just stop.

Okay?

It just comes off as weird. Lord Krangdar asked(seemingly in earnest) for examples of movies that have a similar aesthetic. A bunch of examples were given. And you're doing...something, but reading over it I can't figure out what, other than finding a thing to argue with SMG over.

But, you're stopping, so whatever.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That Deadpool footage was pitch-perfect and loving amazing. It just sucks that they introduced the character as that shitheap in Wolverine Origins and they will forever have to make that connection.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jamesman posted:

That Deadpool footage was pitch-perfect and loving amazing. It just sucks that they introduced the character as that shitheap in Wolverine Origins and they will forever have to make that connection.

The script makes a note to poo poo on it. It's great. They literally throw the Wolverine Deadpool's action figure in the trash.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

The discussion concerns whether the Avengers has good cinematography. Instead of arguing that it has good cinematography, you are insistently declaring it not-old.

This confuses people because, in the context of the discussion, you are saying that new films don't need good cinematography. Which is bizarre.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jamesman posted:

A bit too holds-up-spork for me.

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
Guardians of the Galaxy had me grinning from start to finish and I'm a goddamn cynical bastard.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The Deadpool footage could be worse, it could also have been better.

I am not very good at this.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eastbound Spider posted:

The Deadpool footage could be worse, it could also have been better.
The CG was a bit janky in places and the diamonologue could do with some polish, but that's to be expected. Overall it seemed to me like a decent proof of concept though.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Not looking for spoilers, but is there a stinger at the end of the Guardians' credits?

EDIT: Credits, not trailer.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 30, 2014

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
There is meant to be one once its on general release tomorrow (today for Aussies / midnight screenings if anywhere is doing them).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Strange Matter posted:

Not looking for spoilers, but is there a stinger at the end of the Guardians' credits?

EDIT: Credits, not trailer.

Yes, though no one knows what it is yet because it was removed for previews.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Tripwyre posted:

Best give Gerry Duggan a little credit on that front as well, as they've been co-writing it. It's really sharp stuff, their whole run together (from issue #1 of the Marvel NOW! relaunch) has been a really enjoyable read.

I think Posehn summed up the writing relationship of deadpool fairly well recently. Gerry writes the smart parts of deadpool and he writes the fart parts of deadpool.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I just don't buy the positive buzz that GotG is getting. Been burned too many times in the last few years. Pacific Rim, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Man of Steel, all of them and more had glowing pre-release reviews when they're OK movies at best.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Senjuro posted:

I just don't buy the positive buzz that GotG is getting. Been burned too many times in the last few years. Pacific Rim, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Man of Steel, all of them and more had glowing pre-release reviews when they're OK movies at best.

To be fair, GotG is also getting a much, much stronger critical reception than any of the films you listed, not just fan reception.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Don't worry, by the time the dvd comes out goons will inspect the movie frame by frame and say how garbage it is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The script that the Deadpool test footage is from leaked ages ago, and is great. I don't know if it's :filez: but I do have it. If you like the early Deadpool stuff from his very first ongoing series it would be right up your alley, and uses a TON of stuff from it. It also not only ignores the Wolverine movie, it actively mocks it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

It also not only ignores the Wolverine movie, it actively mocks it.

That sounds like the exact opposite of ignoring it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That sounds like the exact opposite of ignoring it.

It ignores it continuity wise. It is not a follow up to the Wolverine movie. There's a scene when Wade learns he's dying of cancer where there's a gag with the Deadpool action figure from that movie, and then later on to go "incognito" in the subway he staples a picture of Hugh Jackman's face to his own face.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Optimist with doubt posted:

Don't worry, by the time the dvd comes out goons will inspect the movie frame by frame and say how garbage it is.

James Gunn has proven to be a pretty good director - why would you think this would happen?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Senjuro posted:

I don't know, some of the reviews I've seen have been pretty convincing:

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Darko posted:

James Gunn has proven to be a pretty good director - why would you think this would happen?

The last few pages of Avengers frame breakdowns presumably. GotG will hopefully be a film actually worthy of the Silver Age Marvel Cosmic legacy, but it could be the next piece of poo poo from Marvel studios.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sprecherscrow posted:

The last few pages of Avengers frame breakdowns presumably. GotG will hopefully be a film actually worthy of the Silver Age Marvel Cosmic legacy, but it could be the next piece of poo poo from Marvel studios.

James Gunn is the most interesting director Marvel has hired thus far (RIP Edgar Wright). Guardians has more chance than anything they've done of being directed well. Most people here aren't TEAM MARVEL or TEAM DC, but care more about the actual talent behind the films. Avengers gets poo poo on here because a TV director with little apparent visual flair directed it, not because of the studio, necessarily.

With the death of an interesting Ant Man (the "test footage" at Comic-con was so, so bad), Guardians is the most promising thing that Marvel has coming out, and that's due to James Gunn.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Darko posted:

James Gunn is the most interesting director Marvel has hired thus far (RIP Edgar Wright). Guardians has more chance than anything they've done of being directed well. Most people here aren't TEAM MARVEL or TEAM DC, but care more about the actual talent behind the films. Avengers gets poo poo on here because a TV director with little apparent visual flair directed it, not because of the studio, necessarily.

With the death of an interesting Ant Man (the "test footage" at Comic-con was so, so bad), Guardians is the most promising thing that Marvel has coming out, and that's due to James Gunn.

Yes agreed, hence my hope. But the anti-Avengers stuff of the past few pages was what led to the other guy's comment.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

LesterGroans posted:

It just comes off as weird. Lord Krangdar asked(seemingly in earnest) for examples of movies that have a similar aesthetic. A bunch of examples were given.

It was in earnest, and thanks for the examples guys.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Too bad Avengers was actually a great comic book movie too, I'm also a Whedon fanboy so that might be why I'm mostly unable to see any real flaws with it! :buddy:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Regarding the GotG tag, a buddy who watched it last night said it was a huge WTF moment that only people of a certain age will get.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

hamsystem posted:

Regarding the GotG tag, a buddy who watched it last night said it was a huge WTF moment that only people of a certain age will get.

Interesting. Do you think you could get more out of him? I'm genuinely curious, this is te first I've heard of anyone mentioning having seen it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

GonSmithe posted:

Interesting. Do you think you could get more out of him? I'm genuinely curious, this is te first I've heard of anyone mentioning having seen it.

Yeah, I'll ask. He's a theater manager and got to watch the wide release version last night.

He doesn't want to give up the details outside of it's a Marvel property and I'll never guess it in a million years. I asked if it was known outside of comics but he wouldn't say. Coy sumbitch, guess I'll be scouring Google on my lunch break.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 30, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

hamsystem posted:

Yeah, I'll ask. He's a theater manager and got to watch the wide release version last night.

It's leaked here, so obviously spoilers while you can watch it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I reeeaaallllyyyy hope he's in Avengers 3 now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Riven posted:

I reeeaaallllyyyy hope he's in Avengers 3 now.

Feels like a throwaway gag, but who knows.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Oh gently caress.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Hahaha, well he was right.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
So tempted to click that link, but I won't spoil it for myself. Hoping for a Howard the Duck cameo though.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Hahaha holy poo poo my buddy is so convinced it's an Ant Man stinger because Marvel's formula for the stinger is usually for two movies ahead. I'm going to laugh at him for being so wrong.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Oh my god

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wow, what a dumb reaction that guy had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anyone wanna spoil it for someone who's sick of sitting thru credits for poo poo?

• Locked thread