Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Tetanus shot is over! Congratulations I Love You! on a pretty much unopposed win. It was technically a win by thrones on turn 61, but it was won far earlier than that via dominion push and using globals. Post mortem time!

This game should hopefully be a lesson to many re: the new meta of Dom4. Weakened SCs and Thugs mean it's much harder to raid hostile dominion. Burden of Time should happen and will happen in every game. Dom push and globals like Vengeful Waters and Dark Skies become much harder to break when you can't dive unforted temples easily.

In large FFAs and Disciples games (like the ones we all play in the SA community), games will probably go long. Running over your neighbors with a strong early game strategy won't win you the game if someone across the world got a decent start and has an actual endgame in mind. You need a complete plan to win a big game.

I played a heavy scales build. LA Pan does fine during expansion without a bless or awake PG. Knowing what I know now, I would have built my pretender to shore up more gaps in my late game rituals/forging. I had no problems winning fights throughout the game using communions and Pan troops.

My original plan was to attack Gath to my south, since I was rushing for Thunderstrike communions and giants are allergic to those. Unfortunately, Gath folded quickly to Utgard (played by TheDemon). My neighbor C'tis (played by Flame112) and I agreed that the longer we bordered a fed TheDemon, the less chance we had to win the game. We planned to attack together so that our forces reached him during the 3rd summer. Unfortunately, Midgard attacked C'tis before that and it left me in a 1v1.

The fights went well, but I had to move at a slow pace to win without taking large losses. That slow pace precluded me from playing a larger role in the game. With more territory (for gem income), I probably could have made some plays. As it was, I think I ended tied for 3rd with my ally-in-circumstance, Flame.

I feel I learned a lot about communions, their uses and their counters. Considering I started this game right after reading TheDemon's primer on communions, and then having to fight him all game with them, it was pretty much the best thing I could ask for.

Things I wish would were different:
  • Wraparound east-west. I was in the very Northeast of the map, the winner was in the very Southwest. It would take a scout 2 years to go from my capitol to his moving by the quickest route. The game ended without us ever fighting, and only just barely bordering. East-west wraparound would have been a big difference.
  • A better spread of province types. Poor Gath got literally surrounded by swamps. Some areas of the map had 0 forests. It was just very all-or-nothing around the map.
  • Dying players giving all their stuff to the regional powerhouses. I don't have a good argument against this, but I do know that if I see some of these players struggling in another game, I'll have no incentive to help them. Why not? Because if they die, I might get showered in more poo poo than Luck3 would get me in years! Good luck vs that bless rush, buddy. But write me into that juicy will of yours, would you?

Have Some Flowers! fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do I counter iron blizzard as a non air nation

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

amuayse posted:

How do I counter iron blizzard as a non air nation

vengeance of the dead

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mass protection can make it do a lot less damage. Or you can cast swarm a bunch of times and let that stuff get shot instead of things you care about.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
utterdark, so they miss a lot!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jsoh posted:

utterdark, so they miss a lot!

This is really good advice!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Rigor Mortis with appropriate chaff generators, maybe?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Utterdark is a hilarious spell that needs to be cast more often.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheDemon posted:

Rigor Mortis with appropriate chaff generators, maybe?

I don't think rigor mortis will work that well. Most iron blizzard casters are unconscious after turn 3 and I don't think it'll be enough to drop that to turn 2.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

I don't think rigor mortis will work that well. Most iron blizzard casters are unconscious after turn 3 and I don't think it'll be enough to drop that to turn 2.

Iron blizz takes 20 fatigue, even under rigor mortis they will get 4-5 casts and route your entire army by the 2nd or 3rd cast anyway just like now. Also undead are a bad counter to iron blizz :(

It just seems like they are unconscious by turn 3 because the enemy has ran so far away they have to stop casting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I Love You! posted:

Iron blizz takes 20 fatigue, even under rigor mortis they will get 4-5 casts and route your entire army by the 2nd or 3rd cast anyway just like now. Also undead are a bad counter to iron blizz :(

It just seems like they are unconscious by turn 3 because the enemy has ran so far away they have to stop casting.

For some reason I thought it was 30. The dudes that can cast it are invariably old and fairly high encumbrance.

e: blizzard is 30, darts is 10.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It also depends on whether you're dealing with MA or LA Ulm; LA Ulm's Blizzard casters are recruit anywhere but are individually extremely weak. MA Ulm's Blizzard casters are cap only but they're E2 so they can earthpower and then cast blizzard for like twelve turns before fatiguing out. If you take an e8 bless on them then they become almost fatigue neutral when blizzarding.

I think skeletons might be your best bet against blizzard; they're pierce resistant and come in large numbers so they should be able to soak a blizzard or two.

e: Bone fiends might be even better than skeletons since on average a Bone Fiend will survive a hit from an iron dart.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The iron spells aren't actually pierce damage. They never bothered to change that from Dom3.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dis astranagant posted:

The iron spells aren't actually pierce damage. They never bothered to change that from Dom3.

Oh so they're neutral armor piercing damage? Well then I guess you're just hosed.

A bone fiend will at least still survive a hit from a needle on average though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Would skelespam work against iron blizzard?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Against LA Ulm maybe since Black Priests fatigue out from iron blizzard scripting before they can start casting banish, though if he scripts some priests to cast banish you're screwt. Against MA Ulm no way because MA Ulm's Priest Smiths don't fatigue out from iron blizzard at all.

However LA Ulm will also have significantly more Black Priests due to recruit anywhereness so unless you also have recruit anywhere skelespammers you're probably going to lose the overall fight due to weight of numbers.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
LA Ulm has absolutely no problem tearing through any amount of skelespam. Iron bliz does just fine against it and they have access to banish communions and death/astral everywhere. Killing stacks of thousands of skellies is what LUlm does best.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So what you guys are telling me that unless I have a high D caster for darkness, I'm hosed?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Don't worry amuys. I have a high D caster who can cast darkness

e: A big strong D, just for you

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

amuayse posted:

So what you guys are telling me that unless I have a high D caster for darkness, I'm hosed?

In theory, couldn't you rain of stones or earthquake them? You'd probably have to make them attack you instead of the other way around, but it could work. Alternately maybe seeking arrow would work to take out some of the mages?

In the end, the casters are just humans, so there are some effects that can take 'em out.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The point isn't really that skellies get torn through by Iron Blizzard. Of course they do. The point is that the casters fatigue out and stay that way until they explode thanks to Rigor Mortis. Do what you can to delay the battle until then. I recommend immortals and berserkers in addition to skellyspam, since they'll fight to the death in rout situations. Also big barely-defended HP blobs like tartarians or trolls sitting at the back lines away from your mage groups will waste several casts.

Amuayse: try Flames From the Sky or Murdering Winter, then. Or EQ or RoS.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rain of Stones and earthquake are both tricks that work exactly once against Ulm unless you can get them cast first turn in a defensive trap. After that they'll just script stone/iron skin and wonder what caused that itch.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Dirk the Average posted:

In theory, couldn't you rain of stones or earthquake them? You'd probably have to make them attack you instead of the other way around, but it could work. Alternately maybe seeking arrow would work to take out some of the mages?

In the end, the casters are just humans, so there are some effects that can take 'em out.

I've actually tried Earthquake before, but since it does not hit every square and does only 8 damage it's not a guaranteed kill.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

I've actually tried Earthquake before, but since it does not hit every square and does only 8 damage it's not a guaranteed kill.

That's why you cast it twice! :eng101:

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I am very afraid of what iloveu has cooked up for LateForWork...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

M_Bison posted:

Well he is LA Mictlan so its probably horrors.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M_Bison posted:

He's definitely the new lilli of dom4.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Well if you are a neighbor and see magic scales horrors is the correct answer. Also he has the best spot on the map so his neighbors should proooooobably do something about it before he kills everyone and wins the game.

I would but alas, heat Caelum is too far away.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 28, 2014

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well if you are a neighbor and see magic scales horrors is the correct answer. Also he has the best spot on the map so his neighbors should proooooobably do something about it before he kills everyone and wins the game.

I would but alas, heat Caelum is too far away.

The solution is pretty obvious - just don't fight Gath. He's been having a bastard of a time with those gibbors, from what I've heard.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I have learned that semi-scales mictlan isn't very good, and gath is very powerful

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I like LA Agartha's exploding horses. Those are cool.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Neruz posted:

That's why you cast it twice! :eng101:

Holy poo poo, you can do that with battlefield enchantments? I might have to give Grip of Winter another try...

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Holy poo poo, you can do that with battlefield enchantments? I might have to give Grip of Winter another try...

I'm pretty sure earthquake isn't a battlefield enchantment, just a battlefield-wide AoE.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Flame112 posted:

I'm pretty sure earthquake isn't a battlefield enchantment, just a battlefield-wide AoE.

Oh, looks like you're right. My mistake.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Isn't Curse of Stones a battlefield enchantment? Because every time I casted it there was no icon at the top of the screen.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Isn't Curse of Stones a battlefield enchantment? Because every time I casted it there was no icon at the top of the screen.

No. It applies a debuff that you can see on units who fail the MR check. Casting it multiple times will give it more chances to work.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Decrepus posted:

Curse of Stones is a battlefield-wide debuff and can be resisted as monkee said, additionally any guys that are summoned into the battle after it is cast will not be affected.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-07-28 23:17:42 +0200
Rain of Toads research 4->5, cost 10->20, unrest 40->30
Forest Dome research 7->6
Gift of Health research 6->7, nature 5->6
Some eventfixes
Nephilim sprite cleanups
Summon Se'ir -> Scapegoats (summons 2 se'ir)

But he won't tweak Burden of Time!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

But he won't tweak Burden of Time!

They were posting on their forums about making changes to the spell so that it was affected by growth/death scales and would overall be 40-60% of original effectiveness on the aging component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They were posting on their forums about making changes to the spell so that it was affected by growth/death scales and would overall be 40-60% of original effectiveness on the aging component.

They should probably also change the doom horror chance on send horror when AC is up...

• Locked thread