Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

You think so? I reckon they are (rightly) gunshy about putting the most precarious seat in the party at the very top of the party. Losing your leader is pretty embarrassing

Interestingly enough, this is the exact position that both Clive and Campbell Newman are in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

You think so? I reckon they are (rightly) gunshy about putting the most precarious seat in the party at the very top of the party. Losing your leader is pretty embarrassing

Ludlum nearly lost his seat too. I'd love Larissa Waters to lead but I think most people see Bandt as the most compelling choice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
What exactly is Bandt's seat like in regards to him, anyway? I can only imagine a seat that elected a Greens candidate twice is too bad a place politically.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Richard Di Natale is p.cool

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Ler posted:

Richard Di Natale is p.cool

He's a great speaker too.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

What exactly is Bandt's seat like in regards to him, anyway? I can only imagine a seat that elected a Greens candidate twice is too bad a place politically.

You know the stereotype everyone has of greens voters as inner city organic latte sipping uni student middle class Marxists?

The seat of Melbourne is literally that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, Di Natale would be a far safer leader than bandt. Good speaker, from the country, medical doctor, safe seat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bandt's primary vote improved in the last election at least.

Di Natale is a safer choice, electorally speaking.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Almost happened to Janine Haines, but she had quit the leadership of the Dems to go for a lower house seat.

Wow, I didn't know she was dead.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Fruity Gordo posted:

The next leader will likely be Adam Bandt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Is Ludlam's name misspelt?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Di Natale owns to a Ludlam-esque level

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nice letter to the Crikey editor today:

quote:

Les Heimann writes: Sure; another day, another propaganda fest for those who believe we have a right to be a bigot. The mob who keep secret their torture treatments in dealing with refugees. The same group who want unemployed people to starve for six months, to economically mistreat the elderly and the sick. The group who actively support the financially illiterate being ripped off by carpetbaggers.

This is the Liberal Party today. They are the government of Australia, and they are an extremist political group aided and abetted by a disgraced newspaper proprietor who sold his Australian citizenship for money.

“Free speech” ? Not a chance, look at the censorship proposals of the internet this extremist government will introduce.

Look at all their lies and arrogance. The threats that if their so-called budget is not passed by Parliament they will simply do things without reference to Parliament.

When good people do nothing bad things happen. How often will the so called “free press” ignore the bad things?

rowr rowr fight da powah

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Fruity Gordo posted:

Ludlum nearly lost his seat too. I'd love Larissa Waters to lead but I think most people see Bandt as the most compelling choice.

In the 2014 re-run he was comfortably in, getting 1.09 quotas. 5 more years of the same terrible politics from the ALP/LNP should only strengthen his position.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
rip Scott moor san

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

:getin:

Just kidding, he will be smug and not answer anything. Hope she puts the screws in.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
I've certainly heard an increase of quiet grumbling in WA about certain Greens Senators deciding to ignore the rank and file membership and do what they think is best. Growing pains, methinks.

If this becomes the loving ALP all over again, where they ignore members to pursue their own agendas that'll be it for me and political parties.

Quietly confident it won't come to that though.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
I have no idea how the idea formed, but I had written off Di Natale as one of those should have been a Liberal economic conservatives who will be the ruination of the Greens. Can't remember why, though.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

xPanda posted:

I have no idea how the idea formed, but I had written off Di Natale as one of those should have been a Liberal economic conservatives who will be the ruination of the Greens. Can't remember why, though.

Probably thinking of Whish-Wilson.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Also became a little sour when the last information / Q&A night I went to about the budget turned out to be more an action recruitment drive using groups and peer pressure techniques. Left a very "don't treat me like a loving idiot, I know what you're trying on here" taste in my mouth.

:(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Hobo Erotica posted:

How long until Ludlum is leader of the greens and subsequently elected to the prime ministership after the country quickly realises he's a pretty switched on dude who says smart things but is easy to understand and kind of funny for a politician

(Senate thing not withstanding)

dont_vote_greens_because_can't_form_government_because_people.gif

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Mattjpwns posted:

Also became a little sour when the last information / Q&A night I went to about the budget turned out to be more an action recruitment drive using groups and peer pressure techniques. Left a very "don't treat me like a loving idiot, I know what you're trying on here" taste in my mouth.

:(

That blows :( Was it a local meeting or an SDC?

If it makes you feel better I had a pretty invigorating experience. I went to the first Greens Women's Conference on the weekend and it was so cool, there were four other women sitting there knitting the whole time and we resolved to form a Domestic Violence sub-group. Speaking of, on August 6th there's a sit in against the closure of women's shelters in NSW in the early evening, should be ace. I can't remember the exact details off the top of my head, but if anyone's interested in coming (blokes welcome) I'll track down the deets and post em.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

dont_vote_greens_because_can't_form_government_because_people.gif

Yeah but the point is it feels like Ludlum could almost break through that cycle

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
For those curious and outside QLD, I have uploaded the draft QLD ALP Policy Platform here for Goons to peak at. Nothing special that I can see but it's probably an improvement.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Scott 'Hitler' Morrison

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Scott Hitler Morrison's response to allegations of children self-harming in detention was: "lol i don't believe that"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

He just nah "nah that's not true the human rights commissioner must have made it up"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Because he is Australian Hitler

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Same with Betz on Lateline. They'll just outright deny facts or the value of empirical evidence.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

He denied that specific characterisation of the children, not that children were unwell. If you listen very carefully, he essentially admitted that kids are unwell; its a very tough situation after all. He just won't come out and say it clearly, because it would become a sound bite which will end the government.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is the Morrison interview worth iviewing?

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0730-3ctwp.html

quote:

Coalition plans to toughen rules for job seekers are 'close to exploitation', says crossbench senator David Leyonhjelm

A key crossbench senator has lashed the federal government's proposal to toughen work-for-the-dole requirements as bordering on exploitation and called for ''proper'' industrial relations reform instead.

Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm has told Fairfax Media allowing young job seekers to negotiate salaries lower than the award, and to strike individual contracts would be a better way of getting them into work.

Yeah, it's aaaaaalmost exploitation, but c'mon guys I think we can push it further.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is the Morrison interview worth iviewing?

You won't learn anything other than what the true face of evil looks like

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haters Objector posted:

You won't learn anything other than what the true face of evil looks like

"Sarah, I am the loving devil"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLJllk-0o6c

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Same with Betz on Lateline. They'll just outright deny facts or the value of empirical evidence.

Their double speak seems to work for them. Like when Morrison said that onshore processing isn't really onshore because mainland Australia isn't part of the migration zone and no one really called him out on what an arbitrary and incoherent thing that is to say. I guess they do it pretty consistently and it helps to have Rupert on your side.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Somewhere within Erica's latest press releases was the tacit admission that JSA providers are hosed:

quote:

“The current Job Services Australia system has lost focus and become mired in
red-tape. As a result, the number of people moving into work under the current arrangements has steadily decreased.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Somewhere within Erica's latest press releases was the tacit admission that JSA providers are hosed:

The issue with the JSA system at the moment is that it's basically setup to milk the system as best as it possibly can and just "check the tickboxes". If anything, job seekers learn bad habits from JSA's and I'd argue that, largely, they are counterproductive.

The BCA has it right oddly enough, rework the system so that JSA's actually have to get off their butts and work to get job seekers into the best suitable jobs for them, rather than just whatever they can. This would have a better outcome for everyone (except JSA's wouldn't be milking money for doing nothing, but boo loving hoo no tears lost on those shitheaps) and would be both a better spending of government monies and would likely reduce the amount of useless poo poo Centrelink has to follow up on.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Why don't we cut out the middle man? Stop paying JSAs to do nothing, and pay Newstart recipients more. They'd probably save money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You guys need to look up rent seeking.

• Locked thread