Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
It sounds really cool, I just don't like the inability to auto. With altitude or airspeed it's not a big deal, but that's not why they built it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And with those little wings the glide ratio must be bad.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Throttle up, slam the nacelles full forward, throw on tons of counter-rudder, pray you have altitude and hope for only a mild balling-up? :v:

Assuming a single-engine failure from hover.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Duke Chin posted:

Throttle up, slam the nacelles full forward, throw on tons of counter-rudder, pray you have altitude and hope for only a mild balling-up? :v:

There's a driveshaft, though, so at worse it would just be "set it back down again", wouldn't it? Might not be able to maintain a hover, but could at least put the nacelles forward as for a rolling/heavy-bird landing; come back down without writing off an airframe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

One of the other cool things is that in case of failure of one engine theres a torque transfer thingy that will drive the other proprotor with the good engine.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Duke Chin posted:

I have about 15 minutes of helo time riding in a Huey after being hoisted into it. It just shook so much. All of the time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

YF19pilot posted:

There's a driveshaft, though, so at worse it would just be "set it back down again", wouldn't it? Might not be able to maintain a hover, but could at least put the nacelles forward as for a rolling/heavy-bird landing; come back down without writing off an airframe.

Oh I was accounting for a shearing of transmission in this fanfic scenario. I'd heard of the power-sharing transmission in it but, really, what good, self respecting engine failure doesn't also include drive line shenanigans. :D
I mean, come on.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I have about 15 minutes of helo time riding in a Huey after being hoisted into it. It just shook so much. All of the time.

Hooray for low inertia flappy rotors...? What were you going hoisted for?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 30, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Survival school. Part of the curriculum covers hoist operations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Survival school. Part of the curriculum covers hoist operations.

I was hoping for like "we got marooned on a spit when the tide came in / stuck on a cliff" (this happens all the time up here) and was looking forward to finding the associated youtube footage of a goon's rescue. Way to let me down, Bloopers. :v:

edit: vvvv neat - hopefully I'll see them cruising around up here tomorrow.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 30, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The osprey has a drive shaft and a set of transmissions that connect the engines. So in the event of a single engine failure, the opposite side engine will drive the failed engine's proprotor. All the gear boxes in these systems either have a designed run dry til dead time or emergency lubrication too, making them very survivable. The only thing that will limit you on a single engine in airplane mode is density altitude and weight but other than that it can usually climb itself into an ELP (emergency landing pattern;).

We spend so little time hovering (other than practicing) or in the conversion mode that suffering an engine failure in there would be rare, but even so, with the nacelles as far back as 60 degrees the v-22 can climb comfortably. A dual engine failure is almost unheard of but the Osprey can auto. Difficult? yes. very low inertia blades because of the fly like an airplane thing. Possible? Yes. The rate of descent during it is the same as that of a 53E and I'm sure about as survivable.

Basically the prescription for a single engine failure is in anything other than a hover, get to airplane, find a spot to land, and "roll it on." IE, use the wing as much as you can.

The osprey is cool as gently caress.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Duke Chin posted:

I was hoping for like "we got marooned on a spit when the tide came in / stuck on a cliff" (this happens all the time up here) and was looking forward to finding the associated youtube footage of a goon's rescue. Way to let me down, Bloopers. :v:

Sorry, bud. I did work with two guys who got rescued by the Alaska Coast Guard. Along with the rescue swimmers, a documentary film crew was there recording everything. We made fun of them fffooorreeevvvverrrr.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

Those little weights are vibration dampeners.

The flying dynamics are pretty much the same as a helicopter in that mode. Except instead of a collective you have a "thrust control lever," or glorified throttle. It both beta governs (collective control) and throttle controls in all modes. You have a cyclic as well. Of course, the cyclic can control cyclic pitch on the blades, your ailerons (also known as flaperons since the two are mixed), elevator, and a mixture of all three.

Helicopter mode is super stable, thanks to triple redundant flight control system. As in, they sim demo vertical take offs to us with feet off the pedals and hand off the stick-- throttle only. And in a no wind situation it goes straight up. Try that with any other helicopter and you will die fast.

Airplane mode is a little squirly thanks to the fact that you have to pitch up so far. Nose attitude on the horizon lends a 2000 FPM descent.

Because of the nacelles high position on an already high wing, power changes in any mode except helicopter/vtol mode will induce nose movement. So transitions into the airplane mode require either constant back trim run or just a big helping of back stick.

Thanks! Info on tilt rotors is still a little thin on the ground in the civilian world.

Are the rotor heads fully articulated? Do the proprotors lock in any axes while in airplane mode? (Blade flap, lead/lag, etc)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Duke Chin posted:

Oh I was accounting for a shearing of transmission in this fanfic scenario. I'd heard of the power-sharing transmission in it but, really, what good, self respecting engine failure doesn't also include drive line shenanigans. :D
I mean, come on.

Ah, the Tom Clancy failure mode (is there a Clancy novel where a helo/plane doesn't suffer a catastrophic drive-line failure and crash?)

I'm really enjoying reading about the Osprey, Bob A Feet. Please continue to share any stories or quirks about it with us. It's such a cool loving aircraft, shame that people seem to love to poo poo on it constantly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The Osprey has some kind of navigation lights on the rotors, doesn't it? Else a bunch of photos I've seen on airliners.net don't make much sense.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

MrYenko posted:

Are the rotor heads fully articulated?

I was actually wondering this, too... They are, aren't they, Bob? There's a swash plate under there. Pour a 40 out for the maintenance folks. :stonklol:

Terrible Robot posted:

Ah, the Tom Clancy failure mode (is there a Clancy novel where a helo/plane doesn't suffer a catastrophic drive-line failure and crash?)

I mean, duh. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLG2_ErvJs As seen but 2-3 pages ago

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StandardVC10 posted:

The Osprey has some kind of navigation lights on the rotors, doesn't it? Else a bunch of photos I've seen on airliners.net don't make much sense.

Quite a few helicopters have rotor tip lights.

Not to be confused with the much more :black101: Kopp-Etchells effect:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

StandardVC10 posted:

Yea, they're tip lights.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When is DCS putting out an Osprey sim, it sounds awesome!

Aw who am I kidding I can't even get thru the startup procedure of the A-10 without getting bored and doing something silly. :negative:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd play the poo poo out of an Osprey sim.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It was in LHX which was out like, good lord 24 years ago aaaaaaaa

It was about as realistic a sim as street fighter is of an actual street fight, however.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sorry, bud. I did work with two guys who got rescued by the Alaska Coast Guard. Along with the rescue swimmers, a documentary film crew was there recording everything. We made fun of them fffooorreeevvvverrrr.

lol I remember seeing that episode of Coast Guard Alaska.

Didn't you guys also have the person who managed to literally drive their car off a dock?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

LOT's Dreamliner made an appearance on the Red Bull air race last week held in the seaside city of Gdynia, Poland. :getin:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

When is DCS putting out an Osprey sim, it sounds awesome!

Aw who am I kidding I can't even get thru the startup procedure of the A-10 without getting bored and doing something silly. :negative:

That's because it makes you wait 5 minutes for the gps alignment for god knows what reason.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
I'm currently reading this book about the Osprey. It's sort of like Ben Rich's "Skunk Works" except covering the V-22 program, starting all the way back with the Bell XV-3 and XV-15. There's a fair amount on the technical development of the V-22, including all the problems they ran into with weight and thrust. There's a whole heaping pile on all the political and Congressional hurdles that had to be cleared in order to get the thing into production, which is really eye-opening as a glimpse into the utterly insane world of defense acquisitions. I'm only about halfway through it now so I can't render a full verdict, but it's pretty good so far. You can get a hardcover copy for a penny.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Machine...s=dream+machine

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

That's because it makes you wait 5 minutes for the gps alignment for god knows what reason.

ultra realism automatically = fun!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Duke Chin posted:

PMDG gives you the choice in their big jet sims (instant, a minute, 10 minutes).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Apparently it's even longer in real life.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

Apparently it's even longer in real life.

If my old rear end galaxy s2 is any indicator I'd be inclined to agree with you.. Then add 10 more minutes on that figure. :D

I've actually owned this game for a long time but have yet to fire it up. Mostly due to a lack of proper hotas

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 30, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MrYenko posted:

Thanks! Info on tilt rotors is still a little thin on the ground in the civilian world.

Are the rotor heads fully articulated? Do the proprotors lock in any axes while in airplane mode? (Blade flap, lead/lag, etc)
Its a teetering hub, so mast strikes are possible but highly unlikely. There's no lead lag but there is flapping. Flapping is possibly in helicopter and up to a certain nacelle position in conversion mode and then the flight control computer dampens it and begins mixing in flaperon input.

StandardVC10 posted:

Yep they have tip lights.

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I'm currently reading this book about the Osprey. It's sort of like Ben Rich's "Skunk Works" except covering the V-22 program, starting all the way back with the Bell XV-3 and XV-15. There's a fair amount on the technical development of the V-22, including all the problems they ran into with weight and thrust. There's a whole heaping pile on all the political and Congressional hurdles that had to be cleared in order to get the thing into production, which is really eye-opening as a glimpse into the utterly insane world of defense acquisitions. I'm only about halfway through it now so I can't render a full verdict, but it's pretty good so far. You can get a hardcover copy for a penny.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Machine...s=dream+machine

I'll post in support of this book. I'm about halfway through it as well. Very well written and so far hasn't really taken a side for or against the tilt rotor concept. The most bias it shows I think is that it makes you really fall for the personalities behind the concept/planes.

I think the biggest quirkiness for me learning to fly this is learning to use my left thumb. Its pretty much the fourth dimension of flying this thing. It controls the spring loaded thumb wheel that controls the nacelle position. It may not seem that hard but moving a throttle forward and moving your thumb back at the same time while coming off of the base leg of a pattern I would say is akin to rubbing your head and patting your stomach...while flying. Eventually muscle memory develops so that its second nature but at first...some weird sink rates can develop haha.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I don't care what people say about the Osprey, it will always be incredibly loving cool no matter what its downsides are. Kinda like the Space Shuttle, except cheaper.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Eventually muscle memory develops so that its second nature but at first...some weird sink rates can develop haha.

Is this kind of thing what caused the crash that makes everyone think the Osprey is a deathtrap?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Can somebody at some point do an effort post about the osprey test crashes. I thought the reason it got a bad rap was the marines filling it up with troops while flight testing

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Duke Chin posted:

That's why Microsoft made the Garmin 430/530 capture instantly in FS. Nobody would play it if it were realistic.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

A Melted Tarp posted:

That's why Microsoft made the Garmin 430/530 capture instantly in FS. Nobody would play it if it were realistic.

I prefer the realistic INS times

:goonsay:

That said, they're not the GPS capture that they're simulating, but the INS gyroscope warm-up and convergence. The FMCs will show that the GPS co-ordinates are live pretty much the instant the FMC is powered up, even on the PMDG aircraft.

The only FS plane that simulates GPS signal acquisition, that I know of, is the G1000 in the flight1 KingAir.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

vuk83 posted:

Can somebody at some point do an effort post about the osprey test crashes. I thought the reason it got a bad rap was the marines filling it up with troops while flight testing

that definitely didn't help the Osprey PR, no.

hobbesmaster posted:

Is this kind of thing what caused the crash that makes everyone think the Osprey is a deathtrap?

According to The Internet, it was vortex ring state, so maybe

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 30, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for the Osprey chat, truly an interesting machine. I always liked covering Osprey insertions because (a) they hit the release point at like 200+ knots which meant I'd get to do a steep roller coaster dive to attempt to catch up with them as they slowed down for landing and (b) they liked us to shoot IR illum rockets which are really fun and satisfying to time and aim correctly.

How many hours is that thing getting out of an engine these days? The stats were pretty dismal according to the afsoc guys I worked along side a few years ago: something like 25-30 hours. :10bux:

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
I'm a controller in Amarillo where the Ospreys are assembled, they are interesting to work. They do a lot of flight testing: hover work, pattern work and flying around exceeding 250 kts at like 1,000ft AGL (with a waiver of course). The best thing is they can do 240 kts all the way down final for you or slow it to 90 kts to follow a Skyhawk, it's great.

A bunch of my coworkers have gotten to tour the plant but I haven't gotten that golden ticket yet :mad:. I need to get on my supervisor about getting over there and maybe see if I can get a few pictures. My buddy said it was pretty awesome.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Mokotow posted:

LOT's Dreamliner made an appearance on the Red Bull air race last week held in the seaside city of Gdynia, Poland. :getin:

That's cool. I'm going to the race at Ascot Racecourse in a couple of weeks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Zochness posted:

A bunch of my coworkers have gotten to tour the plant but I haven't gotten that golden ticket yet :mad:. I need to get on my supervisor about getting over there and maybe see if I can get a few pictures. My buddy said it was pretty awesome.

Maybe push for a familiarization flight too. That'd be cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

A Melted Tarp posted:

SybilVimes posted:

I prefer the realistic INS times

:goonsay:

That said, they're not the GPS capture that they're simulating, but the INS gyroscope warm-up and convergence. The FMCs will show that the GPS co-ordinates are live pretty much the instant the FMC is powered up, even on the PMDG aircraft.

The only FS plane that simulates GPS signal acquisition, that I know of, is the G1000 in the flight1 KingAir.

Yeah, I mean, I make the "fun!" joke but it is a :airquote: simulator :airquote: we're talking about here so I suppose I'd want things as true-to-life as possible - even down to the teeth-pulling-minutiae. :v:

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Thanks for the Osprey chat, truly an interesting machine. I always liked covering Osprey insertions because (a) they hit the release point at like 200+ knots which meant I'd get to do a steep roller coaster dive to attempt to catch up with them as they slowed down for landing and (b) they liked us to shoot IR illum rockets which are really fun and satisfying to time and aim correctly.

I, too, am super enjoying Osprey Chat 2014 - though I'm now curious what you do where you're getting to fling (hydra?) rockets around...?