Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
https://www.theblacktux.com has pretty reasonable suit rentals, in case you wanted to go that way while avoiding some of the more expensive options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

disheveled posted:

I'm doing the same thing, providing ties and boutonnieres. If the tie color doesn't go with a grey suit, you're probably picking a gross tie color.

As far as grey is the suit color, I think that there will be people in dark charcoal gray suits to light gray suits (which is what I have). The maid of honor's dress (she is the only one) is royal blue. I am not a huge fan of royal blue and don't really want a royal blue solid tie. I was thinking of perhaps a Carolina blue tie for myself with everyone else having a navy blue tie, but I am not sure if that will look weird with her royal blue dress.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
You're definitely overthinking it. Check in with your fiancée first but I think shades of blue will look awesome with grey suits and whatever blue the bridesmaid is.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jose Cuervo posted:

As far as grey is the suit color, I think that there will be people in dark charcoal gray suits to light gray suits (which is what I have). The maid of honor's dress (she is the only one) is royal blue. I am not a huge fan of royal blue and don't really want a royal blue solid tie. I was thinking of perhaps a Carolina blue tie for myself with everyone else having a navy blue tie, but I am not sure if that will look weird with her royal blue dress.

I'm a bit biased but Carolina blue should not be juxtaposed with duke blue :p

Charcoal is a different color (basically "not black but black") and appropriate for different situations than gray in a suit. If you're asking people to match at all, I would specify gray rather than charcoal.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Wouldn't just the fact that they're all in a picture together/liner up at the altar signify "wedding party"? When else would people need to know, or not have seen that?

Matching bouts will look cute in pictures. Blue ties of whatever shade is nice.

It'll be fine :)

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Eris posted:

Wouldn't just the fact that they're all in a picture together/liner up at the altar signify "wedding party"? When else would people need to know, or not have seen that?

Matching bouts will look cute in pictures. Blue ties of whatever shade is nice.

It'll be fine :)

Yeah I am not too bothered. It is my future father-in-law who is pretty traditional and was somewhat unhappy about everyone not have matching suits. So I was trying to compromise by having something that ties everyone together. Thanks for the input.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Just out of curiosity, is "Yay but ARGH" an appropriate sentiment when you're a week from the wedding? :shobon:

SexyPatTO
Jul 1, 2014

Cheese Pain posted:

Just out of curiosity, is "Yay but ARGH" an appropriate sentiment when you're a week from the wedding? :shobon:

Ha! A week before our (outdoor) wedding several years ago now the newspaper was running front-page stories about a hurricane slowly making its way up our coast, threatening to send rain and wind far inland on more or less the exact date of the event. In the end, this did not happen. But the whole situation felt like a metaphor for the last-days-of-singlehood mental state. Good luck!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

LordingBarry posted:

Ha! A week before our (outdoor) wedding several years ago now the newspaper was running front-page stories about a hurricane slowly making its way up our coast, threatening to send rain and wind far inland on more or less the exact date of the event. In the end, this did not happen. But the whole situation felt like a metaphor for the last-days-of-singlehood mental state. Good luck!

Thank you! The forecast was calling for thunderstorms next Saturday, but it changed to sunny recently so we'll hope it goes with that. It's an indoor wedding, but we are really hoping to take pictures in a lovely park nearby the venue. I'm really glad your outdoor wedding turned out all right.

I'm really feeling anxious, but it's because I'm terrified of overlooking some detail I didn't consider. People I know keep asking me if I'm nervous, but meaning more like am I getting cold feet, which is absolutely not the case at all. I'm really happy about marrying my fiance and can't wait for that part!

The idea of the wedding is really exciting, and I'm at least as excited if not more than I'm anxious, but I'm also super excited about the part where I wake up the day after the celebration and all the planning is over. Then I'll probably wonder where all the free time suddenly came from, right?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm pretty sure if you don't have at least one "why the hell didn't we just elope" moment coupled with extremely realistic nightmares of everything going wrong beforehand you've done something wrong.

I don't regret doing a big traditional wedding and I wouldn't change anything about it but I'm also glad I never have to do that again.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Oh man, check and check. It hasn't happened lately, surprisingly, but in the months leading up to this I've dreamed about forgetting the marriage license, but doing the seating plan, etc. I've definitely asked myself why we can't just elope, too.

We love our venue and we're very happy with the wedding we're planning, but there are times where we're both just sick of being asked to make decisions. Both my mother in law and sister in law have been extremely helpful as they're both conference/event planners by trade, so that has helped alleviate some stress when I feel stuck.

I also feel really fortunate in that the only real hiccup so far (knock on wood) has been my mom taking her mother of the bride thing way over the top sometimes. "I'M mother of the bride..." is something I hear often.

My dad and his wife of over twenty years are coming to the wedding with my half sisters. My parents have been separated since I was seven (32 now) and my mom has never gotten over it. I asked the florist to make a corsage for dad's wife so she won't feel left out. She is, after all, important to dad. I told mom everyone would have the same corsage to be fair. She had a complete fit. She said she's mother of the bride and she's more special than everyone else and she refuses to wear the same corsage as my dad's wife. I let her have it because I didn't want to fight over something so drat petty.

I was angry with her for being a diva with her mother of the bride stuff, but my cousin/maid of honor calmed me down and told me mom just feels threatened by dad's wife. That may be true and I understand now, but it was still one of the most petty toddler tantrums I've ever heard, and from a 59 year old woman. I think I'd be less mad about that if, when I offered to let her pick her corsage at the flower shop, she hadn't directly told my florist all about how she's better than dad's wife and needs a nicer corsage. I was very disappointed she couldn't just say, "I'm mother of the bride, so I'd like a little nicer corsage, please." and instead spilled all the gory details about why she's so important and deserves the best.

I feel bad for bitching about this because she bought my dress and helped me so much with the handmade wedding favors, but I just really don't appreciate her behavior sometimes. I'm so relieved the wedding is almost here, because then things can be back to normal.

Has anyone else had to deal with something similar? The way mom has been acting, I'm terrified of when everyone is in the same room. I trust everyone to behave like adults, but I'm still scared.

Please excuse the wall of text! It feels pretty good to get that off my chest.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Not exactly the same, but similar: my sister dated one of my friends for a while (should be noted we were friends BEFORE they dated) and they broke up years ago but my sister never dated anyone after and blamed him for it because clearly that's the logical explanation. I invite my friend, he RSVPs with a date, my sister explodes and it's drama drama drama and threats to ruin my wedding ("I'm going to make nasty faces in all your pictures and ruin them!" "I'm going to start a fight at the reception!" etc) and all that.

Day of the wedding nothing happened despite all the threats and whining. She did make a fool of herself throwing herself at all the single male guests but the only person she embarrassed was herself and everything went off without a hitch. I think your mom is probably just a lot of talk and she won't do anything other than maybe a few nasty looks and giving your dad's wife the cold shoulder. I would suggest using the seating chart to your advantage, seat them in such a way they won't be in each other's line of sight. Out of sight, out of mind.

SexyPatTO
Jul 1, 2014

Cheese Pain posted:

Oh man, check and check. It hasn't happened lately, surprisingly, but in the months leading up to this I've dreamed about forgetting the marriage license, but doing the seating plan, etc. I've definitely asked myself why we can't just elope, too.

We love our venue and we're very happy with the wedding we're planning, but there are times where we're both just sick of being asked to make decisions. Both my mother in law and sister in law have been extremely helpful as they're both conference/event planners by trade, so that has helped alleviate some stress when I feel stuck.

I also feel really fortunate in that the only real hiccup so far (knock on wood) has been my mom taking her mother of the bride thing way over the top sometimes. "I'M mother of the bride..." is something I hear often.

My dad and his wife of over twenty years are coming to the wedding with my half sisters. My parents have been separated since I was seven (32 now) and my mom has never gotten over it. I asked the florist to make a corsage for dad's wife so she won't feel left out. She is, after all, important to dad. I told mom everyone would have the same corsage to be fair. She had a complete fit. She said she's mother of the bride and she's more special than everyone else and she refuses to wear the same corsage as my dad's wife. I let her have it because I didn't want to fight over something so drat petty.

I was angry with her for being a diva with her mother of the bride stuff, but my cousin/maid of honor calmed me down and told me mom just feels threatened by dad's wife. That may be true and I understand now, but it was still one of the most petty toddler tantrums I've ever heard, and from a 59 year old woman. I think I'd be less mad about that if, when I offered to let her pick her corsage at the flower shop, she hadn't directly told my florist all about how she's better than dad's wife and needs a nicer corsage. I was very disappointed she couldn't just say, "I'm mother of the bride, so I'd like a little nicer corsage, please." and instead spilled all the gory details about why she's so important and deserves the best.

I feel bad for bitching about this because she bought my dress and helped me so much with the handmade wedding favors, but I just really don't appreciate her behavior sometimes. I'm so relieved the wedding is almost here, because then things can be back to normal.

Has anyone else had to deal with something similar? The way mom has been acting, I'm terrified of when everyone is in the same room. I trust everyone to behave like adults, but I'm still scared.

In the first two days after we got engaged my wife (then fiancee) and her mother got into a series of massive screaming fights, all of them essentially boiling down to my mother in law reminding her, herself, and everyone else that she was "the mother of the bride" and thus a very important person whose wishes would have to be taken into account at every stage. I thought to myself, poo poo, and our engagement is TWO YEARS LONG, fun times ahead! Stuff like you mentioned popped up all the way through - seems like it's necessary for people just to use the wedding as a proxy battleground for all sorts of other stuff - but we also got our way on most things. We weren't dealing with a separated-parents situation, but my mother in law *is* sort of batshit crazy. Anyway, in the end, while of course there are no guarantees, I do think people understand, as the wedding is happening, that it's "your day" and behave accordingly. Fortunately for you, you probably won't be able to pay attention to anything except being the center of the whole event, which requires a surprising amount of concentration. And hopefully you'll have a good maitre d' or other person in charge of the wedding who will see to it that you are never without a drink in your hand.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
We've started to look around at reception venues. To my surprise the classy hotels in the area are so much cheaper than the wineries. Winery base quotes have ranged from 2500-10000 plus a required purchase of wines, and all the hotels are under 1000 for the venue. Of course there is a different appeal, but we just want a place to party (with accommodations for people to crash).

Touring the top spot on our list this Friday, http://www.ashlandspringshotel.com :swoon:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

If you're going with a hotel I would definitely ask about security for your event. Having it at a hotel with random strangers also staying at the hotel opens you up to the possibility of wedding crashers. I've heard multiple accounts of people having all their gifts stolen from hotel wedding receptions.

A winery wedding would offer a whole lot more privacy and a more intimate atmosphere. We split the difference and rented out a bed and breakfast so we had accommodations and privacy.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Best man checking in with a Bachelor Party question. I'm am going to rent a house for a weekend and I'm booking it through homeaway.com . Is it in my best interest to not say that I'm using it for a bachelor party? It'll be less than 20 people with no strippers or cocaine but I'm worried that bachelor parties have a bad enough reputation that the owner might pass on us. So is honesty the best policy or should I say it's the 10 year reunion of the chess team or something.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Cheese Pain posted:

Not as bad but my mum went in a huff and didn't speak to me for 2 days (when we were all on holiday together) because I spoke about not having parents at the main table. It wasn't anything against her - my father and mother in law are divorced so I didn't really want them at the same table (also I hate them) and having my parent at the top table but not my husbands would have been a bit off but the fact that she would be sitting at a table with the lesser people was apparently a massive insult. It wouldn't have been so bad if she'd told me that was why she was pissed off but I had to wait until it came through the family grapevine to sort it out.

Once she found out that my aunt hadn't sat at the head table at my cousins wedding the year before she was fine with it though.

Edit: After the wedding I found out that my father in law had spent the whole meal telling everyone he had paid for it (and probably insinuating he had paid for the whole wedding) so it's just as well he hadn't been at the same table as my mum or she might have punched him. He didn't pay for it - he gave us a gift of money which was very nice of course but was a fraction of the cost of the meal and half as much as my mum gave us. Not that it would bother me at all if he hadn't told everyone he paid for it when we'd scrimped and saved ourselves.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 4, 2014

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Family is crazy, yo. Frankly I wouldn't tolerate any of that drama, any toddler tantrums would earn the offending family member an instant uninvite. My mother attempted to derail my day on the day of early in the morning when she started to lose her poo poo over, of all things, the wedding cake. What surprised me was that she took herself out of the ceremony without being asked to rather than continue the train wreck, which was a massive relief. My favorite uncle (who's been more a parent to me than either of my biological parents) took her place during the signing so smoothly that it looked like we'd planned it that way, it was perfect. She was around during the reception, but made no further trouble that day hooray!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Do you think your mum was hoping you'd be like 'NOOOO MUM YOU HAVE TO BE PART OF THE CEREMONYYYY' whereas you were just like 'cool, thanks'?

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Probably. Lucky I'm an adult (TM).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah, my mom-in-law boycotted and we were like "yesssssssssssssssss"

Our hotel was no problem for crashers/theft despite being in an urban area where a festival was happening and multiple entry points. e.g. second floor in the back

Hotel had two security guys but they were out of sight most of the time

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I'd really like to thank everyone who shared their relative conflict stories. I really appreciate hearing what other people have been through and being able to know that every family has some troubles as far as weddings are concerned.

I feel fortunate that Mom hasn't freaked out over more than the corsage. Even though she's saying stuff like "Do I HAVE to go to the rehearsal?" implying she doesn't want to go because Dad is going, I trust her not to act like a jerk during the wedding. One of my good friends told me that I can't control what happens and I just have to trust my loved ones to act like adults. I never wanted to control anything, but she had a really good point. I'm trying not to think about what happens when Mom, Dad, and Dad's wife are all in the same room - three days in a row, because we have a rehearsal, the wedding, and the gift opening going on over the weekend. Let's hope they are civil and all have a good time. I DEFINITELY put them at separate tables with the seating plan, and hopefully the out of sight, out of mind theory rings true!

Aquatic Giraffe, it's funny what you mentioned earlier because I had a meltdown this afternoon when I realized I was way too overwhelmed to answer any more wedding-related questions for the day and hid in my bedroom for two hours. My amazing maid of honor and sister in law talked me down from my mess via text message, and my fiance lovingly gave me the space I needed until I was ready to come out. I guess I didn't know how stressed I was, and I'm actually glad it happened because that means (hopefully :sigh:) my token pre-wedding meltdown is off the list and is less likely to happen on the day before. I'm feeling good about it regardless. It always helps to let yourself freak out a little bit if you need to, right?

Now that I've had half a day of relaxing and not talking about my wedding, I've steeled myself for the gauntlet that will be the rest of this week. The good thing is, the closer the wedding gets, the more stupid little details are getting taken care of. Wish me luck!

I am so excited for this wedding, but I will also be so excited to wake up the day after the gift opening and say, "NO MORE PLANNING!" (...Just thank you cards.)

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
I got engaged a few weeks ago and besides being nervous and awkward it went well - she said yes! I had a few things planned out that I wanted to say, but I completely forgot what to say when it came time, so I just sort of blurted out "will you marry me" while showing her the ring while we were on a hike. Oh well, it makes for a funny story. I just wanted to give a shout out to goon JohnnyRnR for a great ring (that she loves) as well as being patient and responsive. Buying online had me a bit worried, but the ring turned out absolutely fantastic.

So far the only downside is that her in-laws have already begun guilting us about not getting married in a Catholic church. We were both raised Catholic but it's not important to us nor do we ever go (except for other weddings, and funerals). We had to sit through a two hour ceremony the other day. The ceremony was odd and really "new agey" Catholic, which I wasn't really prepared for, so that in addition to it being way too long made for a unpleasant experience. Afterwards her mom came up to me saying "didn't that beautiful ceremony inspire you to get married in the church? wouldn't it be wonderful to have that same mass on your special day?" No, no it did not, and no it would not.

Her dad also try to rope in her siblings to convince us that getting married in the church was the right thing to do and that we were making a mistake. The siblings all called him out on it and said that if it's so important to him then he needs to be the one that talks to us about it. A couple of them even went on to tell him that it's not his wedding so it doesn't matter what he wants it only matters what we want. He apparently didn't care enough to approach us with his suggestion. Really happy with my soon-to-be-siblings-in-law for their responses to him.

The crazy thing is that the wedding isn't for another year. Good thing we live 1000+ miles away and we can just ignore phone calls and emails. Hopefully the year won't be too long!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

We were kind of in the same boat. My parents (dad mostly) reeeeaaally wanted us to do a Catholic wedding and we didn't particularly care one way or another. We didn't want the ultra long ceremony so we went with the option of doing the marriage but not the full mass so it wasn't any longer than a traditional civil marriage ceremony but it was still in the church and ~officially recognized~ and whatnot.

HOWEVER, we had a cool priest who waived the requirements for all the pre-marital counseling and all that stuff that makes Catholic weddings a special pain in the rear end, so YMMV.

When it comes down to it though, it's your wedding and not his. Do what you want.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Family drama: My wedding was a fun proxy for the aftermath of an estate battle. My family was going Hunger Games on each other over stuff from my grandparents' house. So half my family had unfriended each other on Facebook (high drama!) but luckily it turned out my cousin was having a baby on the same day as my wedding so some people had an excuse not to show up.

Not getting married in the church: I converted from Catholicism to Judaism so I wouldn't have gotten married in a church anyway, but my relatives were fascinated by everything.

I was a bridesmaid for one of my cousins (the one giving birth on my wedding day) whose mother basically went nutso and planned her wedding for her and had a giant Catholic thing in an abbey. If they're going to pay for and plan out all that poo poo and all you have to do is show up, then gently caress yeah do it. Otherwise they need to piss off. It's also not that simple to get a priest to do your wedding, they want actual proof of your Catholic baptism (or conversion) as well. My family is lucky in that it's a typical Irish Catholic family so we have a go-to priest who is my late mom's cousin, and he can get a mass done in like a half hour.

samizdat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 6, 2014

SexyPatTO
Jul 1, 2014

George Wright posted:

So far the only downside is that her in-laws have already begun guilting us about not getting married in a Catholic church. We were both raised Catholic but it's not important to us nor do we ever go (except for other weddings, and funerals). We had to sit through a two hour ceremony the other day. The ceremony was odd and really "new agey" Catholic, which I wasn't really prepared for, so that in addition to it being way too long made for a unpleasant experience. Afterwards her mom came up to me saying "didn't that beautiful ceremony inspire you to get married in the church? wouldn't it be wonderful to have that same mass on your special day?" No, no it did not, and no it would not.

The crazy thing is that the wedding isn't for another year. Good thing we live 1000+ miles away and we can just ignore phone calls and emails. Hopefully the year won't be too long!

The great thing about a long engagement period (besides, obviously, experiencing a whole new kind of love for your spouse to be) is that, unless your family is truly truly insane and/or you live in the same house with them, it's very hard for people to keep up the pressure on things like this; and if you present a united front you can usually get your way.

We got guilted about Catholic wedding for a while. My mother in law, who has not set foot in a church for 30 years, suddenly went all "I just think it's important to acknowledge that you were raised Catholic..." We wanted to get married outdoors, which apparently Catholic Jesus does not like (I am not Catholic). My wife took on some of the guilt for a short time and then returned to her natural rebellious ways. We ended up having an awesome outdoor wedding, but also compromising a bit. Our officiant was a loony married Catholic priest found on, I believe, this website:

http://www.citiministries.org/

They're not real Catholic priests but they can perform a Catholic ceremony and they'll do it outside or underwater or wherever you want it. There is, or at least there was with our guy, some pre-marital "counseling," which is very boring but not really offensive. Anything for love, right?

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We were kind of in the same boat. My parents (dad mostly) reeeeaaally wanted us to do a Catholic wedding and we didn't particularly care one way or another. We didn't want the ultra long ceremony so we went with the option of doing the marriage but not the full mass so it wasn't any longer than a traditional civil marriage ceremony but it was still in the church and ~officially recognized~ and whatnot.

HOWEVER, we had a cool priest who waived the requirements for all the pre-marital counseling and all that stuff that makes Catholic weddings a special pain in the rear end, so YMMV.

When it comes down to it though, it's your wedding and not his. Do what you want.

I actually wouldn't care if we had a ceremony or not, but trying to pressure us into it (and already starting the guilt trips) makes me not want to do it at all. Her mom especially tries to be manipulative (and does a terrible job IMHO) and neither of us want to feed into her bullshit. Can't wait for the guest list guilt trips.

LordingBarry posted:

The great thing about a long engagement period (besides, obviously, experiencing a whole new kind of love for your spouse to be) is that, unless your family is truly truly insane and/or you live in the same house with them, it's very hard for people to keep up the pressure on things like this; and if you present a united front you can usually get your way.

That's what we're hoping for. All of her siblings and sibling's SOs have plenty of stories of dealing with the bullshit of her parents. Some of them have caved, others held strong. My fiancee got a text message last night guilting us again, this time she started it off with she was confused why I ignored her over the weekend and was wondering why. My fiancee cut right to the point and said that I wasn't, since I wasn't, and if I didn't seem all that engaging in conversations it was because the two or three times I talked to her she tried to guilt me about the ceremony. That started a long text thread (text since her mom will never call and talk about this kind of thing) where my fiancee basically told her that if she keeps up this kind of behavior she is going to find herself purposefully not included. Who knows if that will get through to her.

LordingBarry posted:

We got guilted about Catholic wedding for a while. My mother in law, who has not set foot in a church for 30 years, suddenly went all "I just think it's important to acknowledge that you were raised Catholic..." We wanted to get married outdoors, which apparently Catholic Jesus does not like (I am not Catholic). My wife took on some of the guilt for a short time and then returned to her natural rebellious ways. We ended up having an awesome outdoor wedding, but also compromising a bit. Our officiant was a loony married Catholic priest found on, I believe, this website:

http://www.citiministries.org/

They're not real Catholic priests but they can perform a Catholic ceremony and they'll do it outside or underwater or wherever you want it. There is, or at least there was with our guy, some pre-marital "counseling," which is very boring but not really offensive. Anything for love, right?

I guess it's nice that they're actually regularly attending Catholics and we knew we should expect this guilt trip. I just didn't expect it to start so early. We've already got my fiancee's sister lined up to do the ceremony, else I would definitely look into that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Is she the last one in her family to get married? If so you're probably in for way more guilt than her siblings, since this is the last chance for her parents to get their way.

I feel kinda bad for my sister if/when she gets married since she'll probably get twice the pressure to do stuff that we decided not to do.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Is she the last one in her family to get married? If so you're probably in for way more guilt than her siblings, since this is the last chance for her parents to get their way.

I feel kinda bad for my sister if/when she gets married since she'll probably get twice the pressure to do stuff that we decided not to do.

No, she has two other sisters that will get to experience it. The last sister that got married didn't get married in the church so it's nice to have someone pioneer that for us, although they still had a priest of some sort. I just have to keep a good attitude and not let it annoy me.

SexyPatTO
Jul 1, 2014

George Wright posted:

I just have to keep a good attitude and not let it annoy me.

Yes, that is what you have to do. You want to be in the position of being a hero in your fiancee's eyes for putting up with her family. Marriage is all about playing the long game (I say this like I actually manage to remember it myself, though I often don't) and you really do reap rewards down the road for taking the high road in the most heated moments.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Boom! Getting married this saturday. This is so exciting!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

So having just got engaged on Monday (woo!) I can already see how people go 'gently caress it' and end up booking expensive wedding packages and wedding planners, I'm already bored of thinking about weddings and we haven't made a single decision yet!

I can't decide if I really do want a nice big wedding party but am just anxious about having to plan it all, or if I really don't want one but think I SHOULD.

In good news, the boy did excellently and picked me out a beautiful simple square cut topaz and white gold ring. Love him extra for listening to my not so subtle hints and busting out some well hidden style :)

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Boom! Getting married this saturday. This is so exciting!

Me too! Pre congratulations, I hope everything goes well. :)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Robot Mil posted:

So having just got engaged on Monday (woo!) I can already see how people go 'gently caress it' and end up booking expensive wedding packages and wedding planners, I'm already bored of thinking about weddings and we haven't made a single decision yet!

I can't decide if I really do want a nice big wedding party but am just anxious about having to plan it all, or if I really don't want one but think I SHOULD.

In good news, the boy did excellently and picked me out a beautiful simple square cut topaz and white gold ring. Love him extra for listening to my not so subtle hints and busting out some well hidden style :)

Congrats!

First off, set your budget. This will help determine the size of your wedding and help narrow down your vendor choices.

The key to planning is to have a decent length engagement (6 months absolute minimum, a year is preferable) so you don't feel rushed and overwhelmed and baby steps. Don't think of it as planning the whole thing at once, just do one component at a time and magically it'll come together as a wedding. Instead of going "agh I need a venue AND food AND a photographer AND a DJ AND AND AND this is too hard!" find your venue, get that locked down, then figure out food and get that locked down, then find a phographer, etc. A lot of the time locking down one thing will narrow your choices for the next thing (location, preferred vendor lists and whatnot) and everything will fall into place.

Really the majority of stress involved with wedding planning is from people, not logistics. A meddling family member will interfere with planning a wedding of any size.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Good advice thanks!

I think most of my anxieties are about the people bit. I'm not a fan of being the centre of attention so would like to keep it small for a start. Figuring out a guest list without family dramas when one side of my family is fairly compact and the other is absolutely huge seems like a minefield. I feel like there are so many expectations about a wedding, everyone keeps saying 'oh it's fine you can have a small wedding JUST FOCUS ON THE NICE BIG PARTY AFTERWARDS'. Uh, the big party bit is the stressful bit in my eyes!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

You'll get a lot of practice telling people to go gently caress themselves :) Family is a bit different. If you anticipate guest list drama, don't let anyone know your venue's actual seating capacity and just allot a certain number of invites to each side then when they go over their number you can cite fire code as to why they need to make some cuts. Whether or not that's true is your secret.

My stance on unsolicited advice was f they're already married they had their chance, if they're not yet married that can do that at their wedding. Get used to most conversations opening with "I was on Pinterest and...." as well.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Well, it's done. Ceremony went off without a hitch, and everyone danced their feet off. All our family and friends raved about the party! I couldn't have asked for it to go better. The hand crocheted dish cloth favors were really popular, too!

I'm exhausted, but so happy. :)

Thanks, thread, for all your help.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Congrats my friend!!!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Thank you! :3:

Everything was so wonderful, but it took me a few days to recover from all that. I've heard weddings are exhausting, but I didn't know they were THAT exhausting! Still, it was great. I definitely recommend everyone finds time to eat between ceremony and reception to stay energized - but don't go get McDonald's and be too full to eat your own wedding dinner (my husband's cousin did that).

We did a first look to alleviate our nerves before the ceremony. As a result, we were both able to hold it together. I didn't even cry! I usually sob my head off at weddings so I was pretty surprised at myself. Everything went really smoothly, and we had a few silly moments that made our guests giggle.

The banquet was also a success. We had 80 guests, which was just perfect for the size of the hall. The food was incredible and I was really impressed to see so many family members on the dance floor. One of favorite part was probably when my friends made a request of the dj and Rickrolled everyone. We had a blast mimicking that crazy arm dance Rick Astley does. Apparently, our best man had the most talent in that department. :haw:

I seriously danced until I had absolutely no dance left in me at all. My hips and legs were sore for two days after the party. It was awesome! The whole day is a blur in my memory, but I really don't think it could have gone better.

As frustrating as planning got at times, the result was completely worth it. I'm pretty glad everything is done now, though - well, except for hand writing thank you notes, but I hope to get those done in the next few days. When we did our engagement photos a few months back, we took a photo of us holding a big "Thank You!" sign we made. We're using that image on the cards. Hopefully people like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Awwwwwwwwww! I am def hoping my first look stops me from bawling like a small child also!

Love the sign idea! Might have to steal that!